HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Buzz's Health
Posted by: Worried ()
Date: December 04, 2010 10:12PM

What's the real story with Buzz Burbank's health? I'm concerned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buzz's Health
Posted by: The Doctor ()
Date: December 04, 2010 10:30PM

It's called depression. His gig is up. Radio commentator jobs are just not in demand at the moment. I guess he didn't want to take the leap to Sirius/XM, so now he's in his current predicament.

Posted by: The DOCTOR ()
Date: December 04, 2010 11:28PM

Sorry, who the fuck are you, ass-clown? Don't make me take my glasses off!
Attachments:
david-tennant-specs.jpg

Posted by: The Doctor 2 ()
Date: December 05, 2010 01:08AM

Don't worry about who I am. Who are you?

Date: December 05, 2010 08:42AM

Buzz had the chance to go to Sirius and he went with the failcast instead? WTF?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: dapjdj ()
Date: December 05, 2010 10:41AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buzz had the chance to go to Sirius and he went
> with the failcast instead? WTF?

+100. Every down on his luck DC radio personality seems to be throwing XM/Sirius out as an "alternative". I don't buy it. Buzz could work there, but it would probably have to be for free.

Has Buzz every anchored a lifestyle/current events radio show that was successful?

Buzz + XM/Sirius = Bullshit.

Date: December 05, 2010 11:20AM

Didn't Albe D host a show on XM and then jump to a shitty gig at The Globe? I think most people at Sirius make pretty crappy coin. Still, it's better than what MOM pays.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: December 05, 2010 11:36AM

> Didn't Albe D host a show on XM and then jump to a
> shitty gig at The Globe? I think most people at
> Sirius make pretty crappy coin. Still, it's better
> than what MOM pays.

I know from listening to Ron and Fez that low pay is a constant bitch by the second/third tier talent @ XM. All the big $$ go to Stern, Opra and the royalties paid to broadcast music. XM even passes some of the royalty responsibility directly to subscribers.

If you have a track record, XM will give you air time, but again, you'll probably have to work for free until they see there's some interest in what you are doing.

If there were big $$ in satellite, everyone who feels they are underpaid in over the air radio would be beating down XM's doors.

The same market forces that have hit traditional radio are at play at XM, even more so because as a national service they can't rely on local advertising, or they haven't figured out how to do it, unlike cable TV which can insert local ads in CNN or MSNBC, etc. A lot of advertising on XM, is sketchy, scruffy web site, niche product or 1-800-we'll settle your credit card debt type of advertisers.

But back to Buzzito. Does he have enough of a name for you to pay him say, even $50,000 a year to read copy or host a show - and he has little experience hosting a show - ir you are hiring @ XM?

Outside the DC area, no one knows Buzz - with the exception of broadcasting hot spot Cedar Rapids, IA.

Even in DC - ask 100 random people who "Buzz Burbank" is and what, maybe 10 or 15 would know who he is? Hell, twenty people probably don't know who the morning news anchors are on WUSA or WJLA.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 05, 2010 11:59AM

dapjdj Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> I know from listening to Ron and Fez that low pay
> is a constant bitch by the second/third tier
> talent @ XM. All the big $$ go to Stern, Opra and
> the royalties paid to broadcast music. XM even
> passes some of the royalty responsibility directly
> to subscribers.

Some of the entertainment talent at Sirius XM is responcible for selling some spots. They talent gets a commission and the talent gets paid for voice over work. This supplements the pay they do or do not get.

> If you have a track record, XM will give you air
> time, but again, you'll probably have to work for
> free until they see there's some interest in what
> you are doing.

They cant really judge "interest" since they are not rated. For example - one of my fave shows is The Broads and with Dr Laura coming, their show is in jeopardy. But as a free lifetime subscriber - I have no say in that. Also if my radio dies, I will have to start paying. Long live my First Generation Brix radio!

> If there were big $$ in satellite, everyone who
> feels they are underpaid in over the air radio
> would be beating down XM's doors.

People are still beating down the doors. In the past, Sirius/XM marketing was built around NFL, Stern and maybe Oprah. Any mention of say Don and Mike or Elliott joining the ranks - as I have said here many times before - is/was BS. Their door is not open at this time. With howard leaving - hint - he will probably stay - they have had talks with other talent. But as I said here before and you can check my past posts - any talk about going to sirius from any talent was bogus and quite exaggerated at best. And I was right cause none of it materialized.

> The same market forces that have hit traditional
> radio are at play at XM, even more so because as a
> national service they can't rely on local
> advertising, or they haven't figured out how to do
> it, unlike cable TV which can insert local ads in
> CNN or MSNBC, etc. A lot of advertising on XM, is
> sketchy, scruffy web site, niche product or
> 1-800-we'll settle your credit card debt type of
> advertisers.

Again see my comment about talent selling advertising.

> But back to Buzzito. Does he have enough of a
> name for you to pay him say, even $50,000 a year
> to read copy or host a show - and he has little
> experience hosting a show - ir you are hiring @
> XM?

He is union and would probably make a bit more than that.

> Outside the DC area, no one knows Buzz - with the
> exception of broadcasting hot spot Cedar Rapids,
> IA.

Dont forget about Sacremento

Date: December 05, 2010 01:03PM

Radiophile Wrote:
>
> They cant really judge "interest" since they are
> not rated. For example - one of my fave shows is
> The Broads and with Dr Laura coming, their show
> is in jeopardy. But as a free lifetime subscriber
> - I have no say in that. Also if my radio dies, I
> will have to start paying. Long live my First
> Generation Brix radio!
>

Ratings and XM is interesting. Maybe three or so years ago, Opie and Anthony were claiming they were drawing over 1 millions listeners per day - which seemed absurd because XM had 13 million or so subscribers and given the distribution of subscribers over US time zones, it didn't seem possible for O&A to achieve those numbers.

But Eric Logan went on air and said as a publicly traded company XM had to rate it's broadcasts (somehow) and they could "prove" O&A had a million am drive time listeners. I never bought that, but there you go.

If XM talent is responsible for selling spots, it explains why most of the Virus ad are for Gamefly.com, XXX-rated web sites, etc.

Seems XM is more of a bargaining tools for struggling over the air "talent" like Buzz.

If negotiations aren't going well, you can always say: I've got an offer from XM/Siris!! Which you don't...

Date: December 05, 2010 05:47PM

dapjdj Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > If negotiations aren't going well, you can always
> say: I've got an offer from XM/Siris!! Which you
> don't...

Exactly.

And just to clarify, second or third tier talent there is not required to sell spots but strongly encouraged to supplement their income. They all will do voice overs as well. But at least it is spots. Not like some radio stations who hide commercials in the banter between talent. For instance - heard two jocks say this WMZQ"

She: My brother came over for a suprise visit
So I did not have anything in the house to eat so I went to Target and bought food and Tide laundry detergent

He: Was it on sale?

She: Everythings always on sale at Target, silly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 05:48PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: hank's lookaround cafe ()
Date: December 05, 2010 06:22PM

dapjdj Wrote:
> -----
> > Buzz had the chance to go to Sirius and he went
> > with the failcast instead? WTF?
>
> +100. Every down on his luck DC radio personality
> seems to be throwing XM/Sirius out as an
> "alternative". I don't buy it. Buzz could work
> there, but it would probably have to be for free.
>
> Has Buzz every anchored a lifestyle/current events
> radio show that was successful?
>
> Buzz + XM/Sirius = Bullshit.

Supposedly there's talk about Buzz signing on with Howard Stern's new contract (which isn't a guarantee yet). Buzz's name got passed around as a replacement after Artie left, and Stern's looking to make some changes with the new show.

Date: December 05, 2010 07:10PM

hank's lookaround cafe Wrote:

>
> Supposedly there's talk about Buzz signing on with
> Howard Stern's new contract (which isn't a
> guarantee yet). Buzz's name got passed around as
> a replacement after Artie left, and Stern's
> looking to make some changes with the new show.

Buzz replacing Artie Lange? Well that's a huge pile of bullshit.

Posted by: Buzz's Lifestyle ()
Date: December 05, 2010 11:30PM

> hank's lookaround cafe Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Supposedly there's talk about Buzz signing on
> with
> > Howard Stern's new contract (which isn't a
> > guarantee yet). Buzz's name got passed around
> as
> > a replacement after Artie left, and Stern's
> > looking to make some changes with the new show.
>
>
> Buzz replacing Artie Lange? Well that's a huge
> pile of bullshit.

Anything's possible. Plus, if Buzz were to relocate to NY, there would be more folks that would be available so that he and his wife could live their "swinger" lifestyle.

Buzz has all the qualities that Artie doesn't. But, Buzz isn't nearly as funny. Then again, how much of Artie's humor was fostered through the use of cocaine and alcohol? Probably a bit more than some would think.

Posted by: Wally Pip ()
Date: December 06, 2010 06:56AM

Maybe Buzz picked up something from his Swinging days and didn't get it treated and now it's too late?

Date: December 06, 2010 07:03AM

Buzz isn't funny at all. As for Artie, I've heard the guy in those brief periods when he is clean and he's still pretty hilarious. Also, his drug of choice has been heroin, not coke. As he has pointed out, he's the world's only fat heroin addict.

Date: December 06, 2010 09:21AM

> Buzz's name got passed around as
> a replacement after Artie left, and Stern's
> looking to make some changes with the new show.

I'd be astounded if Buzz wound up on XM in just about any capacity - but the Stern situation seems completely impossible.

I never detected alot of "funny" eminating from Buzz's direction during the D&M days, in fact, it seemed Don would cut Buzz off to keep bits moving.

Posted by: YoungDCian ()
Date: December 06, 2010 11:54AM

Yeah, ol' Buzz really doesn't have much talent to speak of...

All those years where he could have been keeping his skills current, wasted. Whenever he is allowed to speak for any period of time without an interruption it's disastrous. The poor bastard can't even make it through a paragraph of his own copy without stumbling over himself. If you want to torture yourself, just listen, I mean really listen to his "news segment", you will see what I am talking about.

He would not know how to function in a real newsroom, because his skill set consists of cut and paste, with a few keystrokes here and there.

He is destined to be a local VO guy. He has an ok voice, he's just not network material, a bit too phlegmy for most people. Sounding like a smoker is not a good thing these days.

Posted by: ahem ()
Date: December 06, 2010 12:03PM

I've seen Buzz do stand-up, he's actually quite funny, and his prop comedy is downright genius. He also does some great impressions, his Seinfeld impersonation is spot-on.

I think you guys are also forgetting Buzz had a successful Saturday morning show on JFK. Sure, he mostly took calls, but you can't deny the guy has the talent for radio.

Posted by: YoungDCian ()
Date: December 06, 2010 12:26PM

True, I did almost forget about the radio sensation dubbed "capitol critters"...

It's a real talent to be able to make a program extremely boring yet equally as uncomfortable at the same time. How does he do it?

p.s. I thought it was on Sunday Mornings?

ahem Wrote:
>
> I think you guys are also forgetting Buzz had a
> successful Saturday morning show on JFK. Sure, he
> mostly took calls, but you can't deny the guy has
> the talent for radio.

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: December 06, 2010 05:49PM

I loved Capitol Critters. Last time I listened to it, Stevie Bridgewater was hosting. Do they still have it now that WJFK is a sports station?

I also miss Unzipped with Michelle and Checkoway.

Posted by: Vim Fuego ()
Date: December 06, 2010 10:59PM

Was he on the podcast today?

Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: December 07, 2010 07:50AM

Wasn't crazy about Unzipped but curious if Michele remained in the radio business

And who's that broad who rambles on and on and on Sunday morns at 6am. She's been doing that thing for years. I assume with the move of WJFK to Lanham the show will end. I sort of can stand 15-20 minutes of that show in a car wreck sort of way

Posted by: From The Source ()
Date: December 08, 2010 07:53AM

On my drive into work this morning, I was listening to the Kirk and Mike show on 105.9. Mike indicated that Buzz currently has a case of pneumonia and Mike wished him well at getting better.

Date: December 08, 2010 08:49AM

Must be something going around because two days ago I started sneezing and by the time I went to bed I could barely breath. It was odd becase the onset was extremely fast with no sore throat or anything. But as fast as it came it went because I was able to beat it by getting some good rest. Hope Buzz feels better so he can get back to being a Douche.

Date: December 08, 2010 09:26AM

From The Source Wrote:
> On my drive into work this morning, I was
> listening to the Kirk and Mike show on 105.9.
> Mike indicated that Buzz currently has a case of
> pneumonia and Mike wished him well at getting
> better.

Funny. We chastise Mike for keeping this under wraps last night and he is talking about it this morning on his show. Same thing happened with Don's accident. Could it be that Mike reads this forum...religiously?

Methinks so.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: December 08, 2010 09:52AM

looks healthy to me

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: Ah, Yes ()
Date: December 08, 2010 11:34AM

>
> Funny. We chastise Mike for keeping this under
> wraps last night and he is talking about it this
> morning on his show. Same thing happened with
> Don's accident. Could it be that Mike reads this
> forum...religiously?
>
> Methinks so.

Of course, Mike reads this thread. He needs his daily "fill" so his ego can get stroked one way or another. One thing about the 105.9 "Edge" show is how it's always presented as the "Kirk and Mike Show" - even by the traffic reporters - that's how they address them. Inside, I know this has to be killing Mike as he's always the 2nd fiddle.

And, Mike, since you are reading this, I think this is worth mentioning. I do listen to 105.9 in the mornings for the Music. Kirk knows how to DJ and knows how to rock. I learned this all the way back in the late 80s when Kirk was on DC-101. He knew how to play good rock.

However, the other day on your show, I was a little disappointed when you hosted the "Guess what I have in my pants game?". That was the day you had a small gourd in your pants. That's some lame-arse time filling, panty waste of time that you're carrying over from your old shows. Time to retire that bit.

Finally, I'll never forget your hypocrisy. Back on 106.7, you'd always have a recorded clip indicating "Hi, this is Cerph" that you'd often toss in on your show with Don. Then, the two of you would goof on Cerph about how he'd wear his clogs to work and a bunch of other things that you'd note. Now, you're at 105.9 and Cerph was added as the afternoon DJ a few weeks back. It seemed like you were trying your hardest to "kiss up" to Cerph by saying many positive things about him, his length of time in the DJ business and how well he could do his job. I hear that, but then I also remember on 106.7 when you'd cut him down any chance you could get. Such hypocrisy.

Date: December 09, 2010 08:38AM

Ah, Yes Wrote:
> -----

>
> Finally, I'll never forget your hypocrisy. Back
> on 106.7, you'd always have a recorded clip
> indicating "Hi, this is Cerph" that you'd often
> toss in on your show with Don. Then, the two of
> you would goof on Cerph about how he'd wear his
> clogs to work and a bunch of other things that
> you'd note. Now, you're at 105.9 and Cerph was
> added as the afternoon DJ a few weeks back. It
> seemed like you were trying your hardest to "kiss
> up" to Cerph by saying many positive things about
> him, his length of time in the DJ business and how
> well he could do his job. I hear that, but then I
> also remember on 106.7 when you'd cut him down any
> chance you could get. Such hypocrisy.

At 106.7 when Buzz or one of the gang would have a crazy story like "man arrested after being found sleeping in the Tysons Mall naked" they would play the clip "Hi this is Cerphe"

No hypocrisy here - most of the time they did that Cerphe was their "boss" as PD at 106.7.

Posted by: *FU* ()
Date: December 09, 2010 09:58AM

Gaydiophile

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.