HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Money Gram Scam or a legitimate person
Posted by: Zip ()
Date: August 28, 2007 01:20PM

I work with ebay and currently have my own website dealing some merchandise , ranging in the cost between $50-$80. This person won my auction and immediately contacted me stating that he will overnight me the payment. He also asked to have the merchandise shipped via UPS only. Today sure enough I received a MoneyGram Money Order. Bank of America couldnt cash it since I only have a credit card with them. I went to a check cashing place just to find out that there is no info available on this check and that the money is apparently not there. They told me to wait 48 hours and call the number on the back to see if the funds are there. Apparently people can stop payment or withdraw the money from it after the money gram money order is cashed. I am pretty sure that this guy is a scam artist but I thought I would ask if anyone elso ran into the same scenario. Is this a popular scam or am I being unreasonable and should just wait?The buyer has also asked me to send out the merchandise today via priority.What threw me off though is that people shop ebay to save money. This guy spent $17 toernight a check plus $55 for the cost of the item,why would he do that when he could go to a mall and pick up the same item th same day and spend less money. Any info would be appreciated.
Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Money Gram Scam or a legitimate person
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 28, 2007 01:22PM

i tell the guy to wait until payment clears. send it via USPS overnight, that way if its a scam its a federal crime.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: August 28, 2007 01:26PM

Isn't a Money Gram essentially like a cashier's check? It should just clear.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 28, 2007 01:32PM

I have not heard that scam, but I agree you shouldn't ship until the cash is there.

"to find out that there is no info available on this check and that the money is apparently not there" (hint.. hint..)

I would contact the buyer and make him\her aware of the situation.

Posted by: J ()
Date: August 28, 2007 01:58PM

I've never used Ebay to sell anything, so this might not work, but can't you dictate what methods of payment you accept? I would think you could tell him that you'll only accept Paypal/credit cards/anything besides Money Gram, and then return the Money Gram to him. I agree that your buyer sounds kind of scammish.

Date: August 28, 2007 02:47PM

Ok here is an update. I contacted the guy and he told me that the modem was down in their system.......right. I have the guys info and 3 telephone numbers. I strongly agree that if I was to ship I would use USPS due to the fact that it would be a federal offense.He did ship it to me via usps overnight though. Once again I called the number and the mo isnt in the system. see for yourself if you wish. Ebay has a policy not to accept Money Grams but I figured what the heck, if its good its good. It was only for $55 but I am sending it back to him.Doesnt make sense to me why would someone spend $17 on shipping on a $55 purschase. Here is the credentials of the money order:
1-800-452-3590
R200112751487

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: August 28, 2007 03:56PM

I had kinda the same thing going on, it happened through craiglist though (where there aren't rules against it)..

he was like bla bla bla, you can use my UPS account to print a label, i'll send a money gram - good as money..

it was the same deal - he was going to spend sooo much extra money for it..

i ended up tellin him to fuck off (by not responding).. and when he never pursued me or the item again, i figured it really was a scam..

Posted by: joe ()
Date: August 28, 2007 05:21PM

Send a huge rubber dildo to him instead.

Date: August 28, 2007 05:24PM

"wow what a heavy ipod... O NO!! A DILDO!!"

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 28, 2007 05:24PM

Or send him a photo of the merchandise with a note informing him that he will receive the real thing as soon as you receive the real cash.

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: August 28, 2007 05:28PM

just send the money

Date: August 28, 2007 06:57PM

Meeper -excellent idea!!!

Date: August 28, 2007 06:59PM

The guys name is KEvin Saulsberry, the con is from Florida. His name
sounds so familiar yet I cant put my fingure on it.....

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 28, 2007 09:06PM

when in doubt, it's a scam.

im thinking he printed it out on his laser printer.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: cw ()
Date: August 28, 2007 09:16PM

Try using Paypal next time. At least you have some protection either buying or selling.

The one scam I heard about was people sending the seller a check for much more than the item went for. They then send the seller an email asking for the difference to be sent back to them. The seller sends them secure funds and then finds out the original check was bogus.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: August 28, 2007 10:57PM

The buyer's not in Nigeria by any chance is he?

This is on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoneyGram:

"Other commonly used fraud schemes involve perpetrators who choose their targets through online auction sites such as eBay. The perpetrators offer to buy expensive merchandise with a MoneyGram transaction. The scam artist then pays their victim with a stolen credit card or other fraudulent payment instrument, causing MoneyGram to show the transaction as complete. This draws the victim into a false sense of security, causing him or her to send the seemingly paid for items.

A short time later, when the sending bank discovers the fraudulent nature of the payment, the transaction will be reversed and the seller loses the transferred money with no means to reclaim the stolen merchandise."

Sounds like your situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2007 11:01PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 28, 2007 11:57PM

trogdor! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The buyer's not in Nigeria by any chance is he?
>

Actually I saw a new scam where a guy from Nigeria cons somebody in the US by sending hot babe pictures and preying on some lonely ugly sucker. The scammer says they've finally found their love and then wants to meet and get married. They pose as a rich hot person who, for various reasons, is never able to get to the US, but asks the victim to sign for packages and send them on to Nigeria etc... for her. These people are called drop sites and they are used by scammers because retailers who ship to certain countries put extra guards on transactions to Nigeria etc...

The victims that sign for the packages and forward them don't even know they're part of a scam, they think they're forwarding to a person they will later marry.

Date: August 29, 2007 06:09AM

they think they're forwarding to a person they will later marry

This recently was the subject of a 2-part episode of NBC Dateline.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: August 29, 2007 09:14AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they think they're forwarding to a person they
> will later marry
>
> This recently was the subject of a 2-part episode
> of NBC Dateline.

I saw that program. The guy was a fucking idiot. He thought this hot chick who he had never met was going to hook up with him. He was like a 50-something bald guy who worked for the post office (I think). You find out later in the episode that the entire time he has been communicating with this "woman" that he is married and has been doing this shit under his wife's nose. In the end, he has to file for bankruptcy and loses his house...but his wife sticks with him. Just when I thought the guy was a big loser, it turns out his wife is an even bigger one.

Posted by: ebay expert ()
Date: August 29, 2007 11:09AM

just specify paypal-only for your sales. yeah you take a small fee hit but it saves a lot of bs

Date: August 29, 2007 11:20AM

on top of all that, if he is not obeying the rules of your auction (which he is not because i know that a Money Gram is not a form of payment you can select to recieve), let alone rules of ebay - you can at any point just say fuck you and be on your merry way..

Date: August 29, 2007 05:18PM

He thought this hot chick

LOL, yeah she was some hot Asian chick with huge cans, and he looked like a cross between Homer Simpson and Sling Blade. I sorta felt bad for that dude, he obviously wasn't too educated.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 30, 2007 08:42AM

99.9% chance the money gram is fake (counterfeit). They are taking advantage of the banking rules where banks must clear funds in a very short period of time - even before they have had a chance to verify the money order or check.

You will ship the merchandise and get a letter from your bank in 2-3 weeks. GUARANTEED.

And yes, sending the merchandise and him sending you the money gram via UPS is a red flag. If it is sent via our beloved Postal Service, there are penalties for mail fraud, wire fraud etc involved. Sending UPS goes around these pesky laws.

Unless you are sending money to your Uncle in Guatemala, anyone who insists on Using Western Union is a scamer. Unless the money is sent to a former government official in Nigeria. That is OK.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: August 30, 2007 08:46AM

So many scams on the interweb. I remember dealing with a rental where the "interested people" were all from Europe. They happened to work for a modeling agency or a advertising company and they were going to be assigned in the US. They were going to send me more than the amount and I was to send them back the excess. Their english was always broken, which was stupid because they were from England.

vaburbia.com

Posted by: § ()
Date: August 30, 2007 10:35AM

The US Secret Service website has a link where you can report such scams. I reported something similar a couple years back and actually received a call 2 days later from an agent asking me to provide more detail. -§

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 31, 2007 10:05AM

Same thing happened to me. I posted a rental on craigslist and got so many emails from model/college students and Christians etc. with a cashiers check for the first two months rent and I was to cash it and send back approximately $$00 in overpayment.

One of the "models" even went so far as asking me for a tour "of my city" since she would be "new in town" and "lonely".

I forwarded the email to Gravis. I figured he could show her around.

Posted by: Arrested ()
Date: August 31, 2007 01:18PM

I agree with most of this

Posted by: Joe D. ()
Date: August 31, 2007 08:30PM

see if this sounds familiar:

http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=144476

Posted by: Scamson ()
Date: August 15, 2016 01:18PM

big time scam

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.