HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Would the Washington Times be doing better if the Republicans won?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:17PM

Just curious what others think. I remember during the Bush administrations the Washington Times seemed to be somewhat relevant given its staunch support for Bush and his policies. Seems like the paper took a nose dive after Obama and the Democrats won control of the White House and Congress. Now that the Republicans may reverse the trend, I wonder if the paper may pull out of its death spiral somewhat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would the Washington Times be doing better if the Republicans won?
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:24PM

No. Print newspapers are a dying industry. Even the NY Times is on hard times. There isn't enough market for two papers in one town, so the less popular smaller paper will suffer more.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 02, 2010 04:27PM

The Washington Times has been around for 28 years and never got their circulation over 100,000 per day and is closer to 50,000 than 100,000 today. The Washington Post reported that it is estimated to lose $35 million per year. I can tell you for a fact that a few years ago the Times was losing about $50 million a year consistently. Yes, in rough numbers, that was about a $1 million dollars a week.

What former glory are you referring to?

look at the stock price of the NYT vs Yahoo. NYT has a current stock price below $9 a share and $.88 EPS for a P/E around 8 or 9 a bargain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 04:34PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: November 02, 2010 04:32PM

The paper is still owned by the Moonies, Unification Church (Google 'em if you don't know the story)

Two of Rev. Moons sons are in charge and they have some kind of feud going, about what I don't know.

The Times used to have a decent section on football, today they have no sports page. I haven't had a copy in my hand since.

They have some decent columnists, but they won't thrive in oppostion or majority as a print source.They'll probably stay alive online only soon.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: November 02, 2010 07:36PM

I read an article recently where the Washington Times was sold for $1 and the new owner assumed all the paper's debts. I think the new owner is a Moonie, also.

Date: November 02, 2010 10:23PM

The Washington Times was a shit paper even in its heyday. I used to read it on the commute home in the evening because it was only 25 cents. Then the put out the Express and the Examiner and there was really no reason to read the Times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.