HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Knife laws in Va
Posted by: hispanic guy ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:01AM

hey guys im too lazy to google my own research on this topic. But what are the laws regarding knives in Va? Is it illegal to carry a concealed one? I think I heard anything longer than 6 inches is illegal to conceal or something along those lines. Oh and the reason Im asking is I feel like I would feel safer in certain situations that come along and a gun is a little too much I feel like.

Please don't change the topic and ask shit like why do you feel you need to carry a knife bla bla blah, I would just like to know if anyone knows info about the laws

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Knife laws in Va
Posted by: Devil's Reject ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:07AM

You answered your own question...6 inches or more you gonna lay a nigga on the floor!

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:08AM

why do you feel the need to carry a knife

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:14AM

Why would you need to carry a knife larger than 6 inches? Just carry a folding Gerber, you don't need to look like Crocodile Dundee.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:14AM

Knives are illegal for Hispanics. You have to be *Insert every other ethnicity except for Box cutter carrying Muslims* in order to carry a knife legally.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:15AM

Do you have a SS # ?

If NOT, you do NOT belong
carrying ANY size concealed knife.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:35AM

­

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 12:08PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: September 14, 2010 07:50AM

It would "appear" that the less than 3" rule is only on school property. As long as it's not concealed and out of ordinary view eg. a folding knife with a clip that partially hangs out of the top of your pants pocket, you're okay with pretty much any blade. I have a 5 1/2" folder that I carry this way, but I also have a CCP for a handgun. However, a CCP for a handgun does not allow one to carry a concealed knife, baton etc. You have to specifically get a CCP stating you can carry such a weapon. For the most part, as long as it's in plane view you can carry anything accept in certain Commmonwealth Citys like Richmond, who have ammended knife carry laws. Check your local city laws. I wouldn't recommend walking through town with a machete strapped to your hip, as 5-0 would fuck with you just to fuck with you.

Posted by: taco luver ()
Date: September 14, 2010 08:22AM

I would suggest asking your manager at taco bell. I sure there are rules for carry laws at work also..

Posted by: buck knife ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:05AM

Bring a knife too a gun fight and see the result, 250,000 Virginians are now packing

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:20AM

itchy,

VA does not issue anything but a CHP which is a concealed handgun permit so unless your permit is from another state you do not have a CCP. This is part of the problem, people have permits and they don't even know what they possess, at least you know you can't carry anything but a handgun.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:36AM

BB*X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> unless your permit is
> from another state you do not have a CCP. This is
> part of the problem, people have permits and they
> don't even know what they possess, at least you
> know you can't carry anything but a handgun.

+1, how is it that people go through the process for applying a CHP and then continually say (and write) CCP?

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:36PM

FWIW there is a reported Virginia decision indicating a locking double edged knife 4 inches long was a type of concealled weapon prohibited under § 18.2-308. I seem to recall there was another decision indicating that a boxcutter did not meet the definition.

The meaning of knife does depend on the location: Don't carry anything with a blade into an airport, and courthouse security thinks nailclippers qualify. Finally, if the cops think you are doing anything illegal then pretty much anything that can be used to stab or cut will be considered a prohibited weapon. If you are looking for something that will provide you with some means of protection but guns are out, I would recommend a strong cane.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: September 14, 2010 08:34PM

BB*X Wrote:
> itchy,
>
> VA does not issue anything but a CHP which is a
> concealed handgun permit so unless your permit is
> from another state you do not have a CCP. This is
> part of the problem, people have permits and they
> don't even know what they possess, at least you
> know you can't carry anything but a handgun.

My first CWP (Concealed Weapon Permit) was obtained in Newport News, VA in 1987. At that time we had the option to apply for (quoted from CWP application form): Revolver, Pistol(Auto), Edged Weapon. It was renewable every 3 years. Virginia changed to a Shall Issue state classification in 1988 and reworked bugs in the Code of Virginia in 1992. I've renewed many permits since then eg, CWP, CHP, CCP and my most current CCW from Utah, giving me coverage in MANY states, 35. Forgive me for not keeping up with the acronyms; whats most important to me is that I can legally carry as I have for the past 23 years, 15 of those in the military.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 08:42PM by itchy.

Posted by: Whatever2444 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 12:08AM

Ok, so I have my Smith & Wesson SWAT folding knife which is around 3 inches. I carry it with me pretty much everywhere I go, except schools. So, I just have it in my pocket with the clip exposed. Is it OK to carry it like that without fear that a cop is going to give me crap over it?

­
Date: September 15, 2010 03:57AM

­

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 12:52PM by chuckhoffmann.

­
Date: September 15, 2010 04:03AM

­

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 12:50PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: September 16, 2010 03:09PM

I carry a 1 1/2 inch box wrench it won't cut anybody . It will spilt a skull like dropping an egg.

­
Date: September 16, 2010 04:45PM

­

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 12:50PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 16, 2010 10:52PM

Posted by: Burgers ()
Date: September 19, 2010 10:53PM

Its pretty simply, as far as knives go and being illegal concealed. Bowie knives, dirks (double edged is the rule of thumb there), and switch blades. Spring assisted knives are ok but if you just have to push a button it is a switch blade. Butterfly knives are talked about being made illegal but are currently still allowed. 6 inches and up are ok. Also, if you are entering a business or any building, they may have different rules set up in addition to state laws so you have to check those.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 20, 2010 09:57AM

Did you mean to say, machete law?

Posted by: JFcraver ()
Date: September 26, 2010 10:54AM

The state of Va. considers a blade of 4 inches or longer a weapon. If carried in a sheath in plain view it will not be considered concealed.

Posted by: Elvis Presley ()
Date: December 09, 2010 03:44PM

Posted by: Swordplay ()
Date: December 09, 2010 04:30PM

Why in the world would you carry a knife for anything other than...you know...cutting inanimate objects!? Do you think you're GOOD with a knife in a fight!?

Boy, have YOU got another think coming!

[you fear for your life and want to defend yourself? Carry a humongous pistol on your hip in plain sight]

Date: December 09, 2010 06:16PM

OP wants to know what size knife he can legally carry
when he is out raping and murdering white women on bike trails.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 09, 2010 07:46PM

hispanic guy Wrote:
> hey guys im too lazy to google my own research on
> this topic. But what are the laws regarding knives
> in Va? Is it illegal to carry a concealed one?

You can only carry a knife in Virginia (concealed or otherwise) if you have a knife license. To get one you have to go to the circuit court to get the paperwork (not general district court) and go through a background check.

It's like a $300 fee and if you're declined, you don't get the money back. I just wouldn't bother carrying one.

Posted by: hispanic guy ()
Date: December 09, 2010 08:30PM

Thanks for the input guys... oh and do you really think I would make my alias hispanic guy if I was really hispanic (im thinking no), but the comments were funny so im glad I called it that

Posted by: bondy ()
Date: December 26, 2010 10:25PM

i think any kind of knife is illegal

Posted by: chronic diahreaha ()
Date: June 12, 2011 11:33AM

i gotta felony and im turning 14 on june 16th...sense im on probation for awhile im scared to carry my knives! so is it illegal to carry one on probation?(1 year of probation and i actually didnt do the felony :( T_T)

Posted by: BMW ()
Date: January 22, 2012 09:17AM

Um... so a 12 inch throwing knife is illegal?

Posted by: Ding an sich ()
Date: January 22, 2012 05:52PM

Just don't let the cops find out - that way everything is 'legal'.

Simple solution.

Posted by: swiss army ()
Date: January 22, 2012 05:56PM

Devil's Reject Wrote:
> You answered your own question...6 inches or more
> you gonna lay a nigga on the floor!

+1

Posted by: kyle ()
Date: August 16, 2012 04:04PM

i am 16 and i have always had a knife with me for the last 7 years maybe more it could save you life in some ways other people with a weapon or in a car crash you could cut your set belt if it was stuck and your car was on fire to be honest i dont carry a legal knife at all .I carry a butter fly knife or a razor blade the barber shop kind

Date: August 16, 2012 04:06PM

For intimidation to other posing as a thereat to you as a deterrent to messing with you and the father you have to be to cut something.

Date: August 16, 2012 04:08PM

i like your way of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: q258 ()
Date: November 02, 2012 05:01PM

A ball pean hammer is legal to carry... Just saying! Good ol 81 weapon of choice.

Posted by: Thinkbox MC ()
Date: November 02, 2012 06:19PM

q258 Wrote:
> A ball pean hammer is legal to carry... Just
> saying! Good ol 81 weapon of choice.

81s are some pussies. Fuck HA's and fuck Pagans. Alls some bitch ass pussies with knives. keep your knife, i'll still fuck your fake asses up.

-thinkbox out.

Posted by: Jrest ()
Date: July 07, 2013 09:33AM

GOOD WAY TO KNOW IF IT's TOO BIG is just open in and put the blade across your 4 fingers. . Pinky to Pointer and if it's longer than that. Don't Conceal It.

Posted by: James steven ()
Date: July 12, 2015 08:27PM

I recenty bought a emerson folder and live in V.A. Is it illegal to carry it
conceil in your pocket? If it's carried with the pocket clip exposed does it make it legal?

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: July 12, 2015 10:06PM

James steven Wrote:
> I recenty bought a emerson folder and live in V.A.
> Is it illegal to carry it
> conceil in your pocket? If it's carried with the
> pocket clip exposed does it make it legal?

Just be ready to have your pocket picked. I'm talking to YOU, Poser on the Metro. I even asked ''Oh, is today Free Knife Day?''

Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: July 12, 2015 11:52PM

From what I remember, you can carry any folding pocket knife that you want as long as it isn't something weird like an auto knife or a projectile knife. There's no laws against carrying pocket knives concealed in your pocket. And there's no blade length limit in Virginia. The only exceptions to this that I remember are that you can't be a felon and you can't carry folding knives with blades that are over 3 inches long on school grounds. I also think that a couple of cities in Virginia (like Falls Church) have blade length limits of 3 inches.

Just to stay on the safe side of the law, I carry a Cold Steel mini AK-47 (it has a blade length of 2 3/4 inches) because it should be legal to carry almost everywhere in America and because the Tri-Ad lock can't be beat.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/58TMCAK/Mini_AK-47.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTe3RkKsOrwHAPkBgtLIe294vhdrjU_fR

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.