HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
"Summer of Recovery" Coming to a Close
Posted by: mcsmack ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:19AM

As we near what most people consider the traditional end of the summer season this Labor Day holiday it's worth taking stock of where we are at with respect to our economy, specifically labor.

It's no secret we're in bad shape however our economy LOST 283,000 jobs during 'Recovery Summer' months.http://bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

We now hear from all same geniuses that knew the first stimulus would work saying that we need more spending and shouldn't cut taxes for those of us earning over 250K a year because we will just rat hole or save it and not invest. What a crock of Shit. I'll guarantee these morons have never met a payroll or ran a private business in their lives.

Barbara Boxer bragged about her economics degree in her debate with Fiorina this week criticizing her for outsourcing Hewlett Packard jobs out of CA. Jesus Christ! Like HP is the only company fleeing that fucked up state!

Don't cut taxes for corporations and incomes over 250K and see what happens. Get use to 10% unemployment, 1.0% GDP growth and shrinking revenues into government coffers at all levels.

I'll tell you straight up more "investment in infrastructure", 6 month payroll tax holiday, and my favorite, spending more on research and development will do absolutely nothing significant to jump start our economy. We would most likely see a smaller up-tick in consumption / production then we did after the first stimulus.

And by the way something...Research and development on what? More fucked up battery companies like ZBB Energy Corp in Wisconsin?

The Obama administration is full of "educated idiots" and replacing them with more of the same after the election won't make any difference. That being said it is awfully hard to "remind ourselves that better days are ahead" as Obama just told us a few moments ago.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2010 10:50AM by mcsmack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Summer of Recovery" Coming to a Close
Posted by: non-partisanasopposedtoyou ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:34AM

mcsmack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll guarantee these morons have never met a
> payroll or ran a private business in their lives.

WRONG... Pete Stark founded a bank (I assume the bank has employees, HMMM?)

Posted by: Out of work ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:34AM

mcsmack Wrote:
> The Obama administration is full of "educated
> idiots" and replacing them with more of the same
> after the election won't make any difference. That
> being said it is awfully hard to "remind ourselves
> that better days are ahead" as Obama just told us
> a few moments ago.

I'm out of work, as are many people I know. By the time the better days roll around we'll be broke, as everyone is quickly exhausting emergency and sometimes retirement savings.

Posted by: fairfaxguy ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:41AM

But U can be on unemployment for over two years, and following basic financial principles of having six to nine months of emergency savings one should be able to find something in that time even in this economy. May not pay as much as before but that is the new normal I guess. Good luck to you though, I have been there myself.

I have plenty of friends who bought up to their means with no savings and are regretting it big time.

Posted by: also non-partisan ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:42AM

mcsmack Wrote:
> I'll guarantee these morons have never met a
> payroll or ran a private business in their lives.

WRONG... Pete Stark founded a bank (I assume the bank has employees, HMMM?)

Either way, our economy is crap currently and it's time to admit that the stimulus and other things they tried failed. Time to try a new strategy or are they going to be stubborn and prove the old adage - Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Posted by: Capt. Obvious ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:42AM

non-partisanasopposedtoyou Wrote:
> mcsmack Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'll guarantee these morons have never met a
> > payroll or ran a private business in their
> lives.
>
> WRONG... Pete Stark founded a bank (I assume the
> bank has employees, HMMM?)

Pete Stark is part of the administration? Besides, he may have ran a bank in the late 60s early 70s, but he has since gone insane.

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: September 03, 2010 10:48AM

Capt. Obvious Wrote:
> Pete Stark is part of the administration?

McSmack talked about a Senate race so he isn't only referring to the Obama korrupt white house.

But I digress, there are very few demokrats with any experience in business. Most graduated with law degrees and immediately entered politiks.

Demokrats aren't getting it. They ran two years ago on the platform of inheriting a shitty economy and wars but they wanted to be hired to fix those problems. They were hired, and now that things are getting worse they are being held accountable. Repeating the slogans of two years ago isn't something the public is buying.

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Posted by: mcsmack ()
Date: September 03, 2010 11:05AM

Capt. Obvious Wrote:
> non-partisanasopposedtoyou Wrote:
> -----
> > mcsmack Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'll guarantee these morons have never met a
> > > payroll or ran a private business in their
> > lives.
> >
> > WRONG... Pete Stark founded a bank (I assume
> the
> > bank has employees, HMMM?)
>
> Pete Stark is part of the administration? Besides,
> he may have ran a bank in the late 60s early 70s,
> but he has since gone insane.

No Doubt! Pete Stark can't be the best example he can come up with. What an abject embarrassment..........Here is Pete Stark

n May 2004, Stark responded to a constituent Army National Guard member's letter critical of Stark's recent vote on the war in Iraq by immediately calling the service member's telephone and leaving a feisty response on voicemail which was later broadcast on San Francisco's talk radio station KSFO. Stark's harsh voicemail was transcribed as follows:

“ Dan, this is Congressman Pete Stark, and I just got your fax. And you don't know what you're talking about. So if you care about enlisted people, you wouldn't have voted for that thing either. But probably somebody put you up to this, and I'm not sure who it was, but I doubt if you could spell half the words in the letter, and somebody wrote it for you. So I don't pay much attention to it. But I'll call you back later and let you tell me more about why you think you're such a great goddamn hero and why you think that this generals [sic] and the Defense Department, who forced these poor enlisted guys to do what they did, shouldn't be held to account. That's the issue. So if you want to stick it to a bunch of enlisted guys, have your way. But if you want to get to the bottom of people who forced this awful program in Iraq, then you should understand more about it than you obviously do. Thanks.[7][8]

I would damn sure find a better example.

Date: September 03, 2010 12:03PM

The "Summer of Recovery" idea was pretty stupid. Not as bad as Ford's Whip Inflation Now! (WIN!). But pretty similar in concept.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Capt. Obvious ()
Date: September 03, 2010 12:09PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> The "Summer of Recovery" idea was pretty stupid.
> Not as bad as Ford's Whip Inflation Now! (WIN!).
> But pretty similar in concept.

About as effective too.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 03, 2010 12:09PM

Thank god.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: September 03, 2010 02:05PM

ConVince - I am (surprisingly) actually in concordance with your post. The Dems did inherit a mess - but you're right it's been two years on now, they can't keep looking backwards two years in. They need to be looking forward and posting positive ideas.

The only reason we're really seeing anything now is because the Dems know they are in deep shit with the mid-term elections. The problem is it's a bit too late for that. They've had two years to push hard for this country "change we can believe in!"...this is where we'll disagree...the Dems for the most part have lacked any spine to stand up to the Reps and push real "change" through. That's where the Dems went wrong and any half-hearted bleaps from Obama won't change reality.

I won't be voting Dem this year...but then again I won't be voting Republican either. They both suck. We need a 3rd or 4th party so my vote will be effectively for no one.

Posted by: Out of Work ()
Date: September 03, 2010 02:48PM

fairfaxguy Wrote:
> But U can be on unemployment for over two years,
> and following basic financial principles of having
> six to nine months of emergency savings one should
> be able to find something in that time even in
> this economy.

There has not been a time in my life so far, that I would disagree with this statement, except the last two years. That's what people (who have stayed employed) don't get. The jobs ARE NOT there. I applied for a job last week that was one third of my previous pay. It was obvious they were overwhelmed with applicants. Received an email the next day, Thanks but no thanks etc......

On another note regarding unempoyment. We all took drastic pay cut for two years tring to keep the company open. Forget what you made previously, your unemployment is based on the most recent quarters. Good reason to never agree to a pay cut. The previous 20 years didn't count. Oh Yeah, and when the company goes under there is NO COBRA, because the company no longer exist.

So the feds continue to stick it to small business. Doesn't anybody realize that if we keep killing off private business (supposedly 50% of the workforce) that the entire country cannot be employed by the government?

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: September 03, 2010 03:01PM

You old enough to rmember that too? I actually have some of those old WIN buttons in a collection with some other politic buttons and stuff. I forgot about whatever the policy was, but I remember thing sucked twice under Ford and Carter.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Worse ()
Date: September 03, 2010 09:17PM

Much worse.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.