HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
elimination of unlimited data plans
Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: August 22, 2010 10:14AM

http://www.examiner.com/online-media-in-atlanta/will-at-t-s-elimination-of-unlimited-data-plans-open-the-door-for-clear-new-subscribers-beware

This weekend I got the WIMAX Clear mobile 4g Hotspot to use with my new Dell Streak (no AT&T service) since it is also WIFI...don't care about phone The cost is only 40.00 per month and unlimited for 4G (internet) with 6mb down/1mb up speed and you can attach up to 8 wifis. It covers this area major cities and expanding nation wide. I'm dropping my verizon BB storm next month...piece of shit. Clear has a 4Gplus (3G) hotspot. The 4G is unlimited Clear coverage areas and 3G is nationwide - sprint and capped extra charge will apply.

www.clear.com

Now all the data plans are capped, except verizon for the Droid X only (how long ???). I thnk the verizon Droid X is a great deal and phone as long as the data plan is unlimited. Previous AT&T Iphone user with unlimited data plans are being allowed to extend for new Iphones (how long???) but new have to get with the capped plans.

When you exceed the monthly cap (2gb..ATT or 5gb..verizon) the cost is estimated at $10 per additional GB. If you heavy surf, you are trouble, just like the over use of text messages...big bills

What are your plans to mitigate the elimination of unlimited data plans. IPAD/Iphone/Blackberry/etc users.

I'm not trying to sell clear or anything to anybody, just want see what your thoughts and plans are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: elimination of unlimited data plans
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 22, 2010 08:46PM

I don't even know all about the regular plans, or Clearwire's Hotspot for that mannter. I only know that I have to pay $15 a month for unlimited service on Sprint with the employee plan. I'd still have to pay the $10 extra charge for WiMAX/4g though, but that's no biggy. The only mobile card I have for a laptop is still 3G, which is fast enough.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: August 23, 2010 05:04AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't even know all about the regular plans, or
> Clearwire's Hotspot for that mannter. I only know
> that I have to pay $15 a month for unlimited
> service on Sprint with the employee plan. I'd
> still have to pay the $10 extra charge for
> WiMAX/4g though, but that's no biggy. The only
> mobile card I have for a laptop is still 3G, which
> is fast enough.

I looked at sprint 4G/3G too. For non employees. Clear (clearwire/4G) and Sprint/3G nation-wide uses the same 4G and 3G networks and coverage for both. Clear cost 55.00 monthly for 4G/3G and sprint cost 59.99 per month for 4G/3G. The 4G is unlimited data and the 3G is 5Gb capped data per month for both. They both use the same rebranded 4G/3G hotspot devices (usb/hotspot). But clear offer 4G only for unlimited coverage with additional 4G devices (usb/hotspot/IpodIPAD) for 40.00 per month for 4G (usb/hotspot) and 25.00 for IPOD/IPAD Hotspot. The problem in this area (washington), there is both 4G(6Mbup/1Mbdown) and 3G(less than 1Mbup/500kb down) coverage. So the 4G/3G devices automatically defaults you to the strongest signal where you are at in this area (what I was told by clearwire/sprint didn't know). When you are on 3G network you are in monthly data usage limitation, say you download more that seven videos in one day, well you just blew your monthly 3G cap and will incur excess data charges.

IPAD users are getting jammed by AT&T limited data plan, data include everything you download/upload/browse/maps and that damn GPS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: you have no clue ()
Date: August 23, 2010 05:11AM

dika-dika sounds like a white trash idiot. poor stupid people like him need to stick to boost mobile.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.