HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Crossing the road
Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: June 29, 2007 08:51PM

OK. I am not usually one to come on here and complain about things but I have to get this off my chest...

I shop at Fair City Mall everyday. Now there are really 3 different shopping centers there. This = a lot of traffic. I cross the road at the crosswalk by Total Wine going towards Eckard. I push the little button and wait for the little man to tell me I can cross. I am usually with my kids, as I was today. We push the button, wait for the little man, and cross. We almost get hit by a mini van first off. After she sees us and stops, we continue across. After we get past the halfway point some guy yells out the window at me "Next time read the sign bitch!"

OK now look. I had my 11 year old with me. I was crossing at the light. And I had the light. Why is it so hard for people who drive around there to understand that pedestrians have the right of way (please, don't ask me to site the law. I have read it on signs. I wouldn't be able to find the code if you paid me. However, if I am wrong, please tell me.) And when I am in the crosswalk, I am doing nothing wrong.

I do know that there are a lot of kids that run stupid around there. And you drivers have every right to be pissed at them when they dart out in front of you with no warning and at inappropriate places. But, when I am out with my daughter crossing legally, please refrain from calling me a bitch. Also, please remember that I do cross as quickly as I can but the little man changes back into a hand when I reach the middle of the road. It took me a few extra seconds today because of the lady in the mini van who almost ran us over. I crossed at the light and with the light. And if there are people in the crosswalk, you need to stop anyway.

Whew. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crossing the road
Posted by: LegalResident ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:03PM

Maybe next time read the sign bitch

Are you writing this as an open letter to whoever called you a bitch. I highly doubt he is reading this here.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:06PM

You shop there everyday?

Date: June 29, 2007 11:10PM

I am writing this as an open letter to everyone who seems to forget, or not even know, that pedestrians have the right of way. I will ignore your first remark.

And yes, I shop there everyday. I choose to not have a car and walk to the shopping center everyday both for exercise and necessities.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:32PM

You choose, or you got a charge and cant drive anymore...Which is it?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 30, 2007 02:39AM

driving across that intersection is far safer than using the crosswalk, which is really just a novelty as it's completely worthless. remember, you chose to not use a car and therefore if anything should happen to you or your children while crossing on foot, you have only yourself to blame.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 30, 2007 05:28AM

I chose not to own a car. It is because I live where I work/shop. Gas is too darn expensive and the upkeep of a car is more then I can afford right now. I have a valid VA license and I still occasionally drive.

And I am just hoping that one day someone will tap me hard enough to knock me down. And when it happens, I hope they have great insurance. Maybe all the trouble it causes will make the person who hit me remember that pedestrians have the right of way.

Dang people, why does this post warrant such hostility? Be nice.

Date: June 30, 2007 10:42AM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I am just hoping that one day someone will tap
> me hard enough to knock me down. And when it
> happens, I hope they have great insurance. Maybe
> all the trouble it causes will make the person who
> hit me remember that pedestrians have the right of
> way.

classic stupid american attitude, "im suing!" maybe when one of your kids get run over, you will learn the stupidity of your choices. just wondering, what happened to looking both ways? sure you at at a crosswalk but you clearly understand that doesnt stop everyone.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 30, 2007 12:15PM

Pedestrians have the right of way. Va is cracking down on NOT giving pedestrians the right of way all of FX city. There has been a lot of fatalities and injuries cuz people are too selfish and reckless with thier cars to show some common courtesy. Samavia I feel for you. Car upkeep and maintenance is a major bummer

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 30, 2007 07:20PM

I admit, I find it hard not to give pedestrians the right of way... to those who do not give it, why not?

Posted by: hang over ()
Date: June 30, 2007 08:25PM

I wouldnt hold your breath hoping they have insurance. Most drivers in this area do not have it. Once he hits you he will just keep going until he gets back to manassas or woodbridge.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:06PM

point system for runing over Pedestrians:
1 pt Old person
3 pts Hispanic
5 pts 2 Hispanics
10 pts Gravis, Reastonpeace, Inka

Date: June 30, 2007 10:33PM

That's a lot of points for me in that system, thanks for the props!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2007 10:33PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: aim4legs ()
Date: June 30, 2007 10:48PM

VA law says that peds don't have the right of way even in crosswalks. If you hit a ped, it's their fault for being in the way and they'll get a ticket if they're still alive. Connection newspapers had something about this a few weeks ago. Pretty twisted.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: July 01, 2007 12:14AM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
> I chose not to own a car. It is because I live
> where I work/shop. Gas is too darn expensive and
> the upkeep of a car is more then I can afford
> right now. I have a valid VA license and I still
> occasionally drive.
>
> And I am just hoping that one day someone will tap
> me hard enough to knock me down. And when it
> happens, I hope they have great insurance. Maybe
> all the trouble it causes will make the person who
> hit me remember that pedestrians have the right of
> w
>
> Dang people, why does this post warrant such
> hostility? Be nice.

It's pretty obvious. This is not a pedestrain community. If you want to walk, move to a sleepy exurban urban towncenter-ie place. I loathe your stupid crosswalk bullshit.

Date: July 01, 2007 10:31AM

according to http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm...

§ 46.2-924. Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs; penalty.

A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:

1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;

2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;

3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or street where the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A of this section, at intersections or crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulated by law-enforcement officers or traffic control devices, the driver shall yield according to the direction of the law-enforcement officer or device.

No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic.

The drivers of vehicles entering, crossing, or turning at intersections shall change their course, slow down, or stop if necessary to permit pedestrians to cross such intersections safely and expeditiously.

Pedestrians crossing highways at intersections shall at all times have the right-of-way over vehicles making turns into the highways being crossed by the pedestrians.

C. The governing body of any county having the urban county executive form of government, any county having the county manager plan of government, the City of Fairfax, the County of Loudoun and any town therein, and any city with a population between 110,000 and 115,000, may by ordinance provide for the installation and maintenance of highway signs at marked crosswalks specifically requiring operators of motor vehicles, at the locations where such signs are installed, to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing or attempting to cross the highway. Any operator of a motor vehicle who fails at such locations to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians as required by such signs shall be guilty of a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of no less than $100 or more than $500. The Commonwealth Transportation Board shall develop criteria for the design, location, and installation of such signs. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any limited access highway.

(Code 1950, §§ 46-243, 46-244; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-231; 1962, c. 471; 1968, c. 165; 1972, c. 576; 1976, c. 322; 1989, c. 727; 2000, c. 323; 2002, c. 327; 2004, c. 658.)

And to you Gravis.... I am not sue happy. But if I am not breaking the law, and someone harms me while they are, I will sue. That does not make me "sue happy." I fell in Giant a year ago. Slipped on water in the produce department that the produce manger spilled and left there. I didn't sue. I asked they pay my doctor bills and for the time I was out of work for a hurt back. That was all I asked for, it was all I got. If I were "sue happy," I would have tried for more.

And people, really, I am a nice woman. I don't give anybody on here crap. I get a kick out of this board and I enjoy reading everybody's points of view here. I think everybody adds in their own way. I wouldn't get on here and call names and be nasty. Please, save that for the people who do (we all know who they are). If I say something wrong or offensive to you, just tell me. I am always looking to learn.

Thanks! :D

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 01, 2007 11:09AM

Hi,

SAl, I agree with you too. I love to run and many times I nearly get hit especially at intersections where cars turn. I do try to run across as fast as I can. I do remember those days with a child or a stroller too. There's now way to speed up as a mom holding an arm and pushing a stroller. That intersection by Fair City Mall is definitley dangerous. You know a few months ago a student from Woodson or Frost was hit there or close to there. But he was jaywalking I think.

You always seem real nice to me, Sal. Just ignore the mean comments.

Hugs,
trickie

Posted by: aim4legs ()
Date: July 02, 2007 09:33PM

Found the article from the connection newspapers...
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=82739&cat=104

"Commander of the Fairfax County Police Reston District station, Captain Deborah Burnett, explained that in Virginia the pedestrian does not have the right-of-way just because he or she is at a crosswalk. According to Virginia code, a pedestrian could not step out onto the street in front of a traveling vehicle, even if it is at a crosswalk. "The pedestrian would be at fault" in case of an accident, said Burnett.

Fairfax County Supervisor Catherine Hudgins (D-Hunter Mill) said the traffic has to stop for her, or any other pedestrian, when she sets foot on a crosswalk in Washington, D.C. However, in Virginia things are different. She said the county board is behind the idea that motorists ought to stop for the pedestrians, but efforts to change the law have not been realized. "It’s a fight in Richmond," said Hudgins. She said the law counters the efforts to create more walkable communities in the area. "

Tread lightly...

Date: July 02, 2007 09:46PM

What, may I ask, is wrong with using the electric signs that tell you when to cross, to tell you when to cross?

And if there are none around, only a moron pedestrian would assume right of way no matter what... the car always wins the battle.

Date: July 03, 2007 12:17PM

there will be stupid people that dart out in front of cars trying to get across. im pretty sure that's what happened at 236 and picket as it's right by a high school. i almost hit a (high school) kid driving down picket not long after that because he darted right across and i couldnt see him because a minivan blocked view of him. i was going the speed limit (35 in that section) and held down the horn. it was one of those "HOLY CRAP! that was close" moments. at the very least, people could wait until cars are stopped at a traffic light and it's clear before they cross.

Date: July 03, 2007 12:35PM

That's what I was saying. I cross at the light. I push the button. The little guy comes up and says it's OK for me to cross. But, at the same time, the light changes for the turning lanes. So, I am still walking in front of cars.

Maybe they should make it so cars stop all ways to let pedestrians cross all ways once every light cycle.

And Gravis, what you encountered is what happens around here very frequently. My daughters go to Woodson (actually, my oldest just graduated! WOOHOO Class of 007!) and they told me that a lot of the kids are playing "chicken" with the cars. They'll stand by the road and wait until the car gets close to run out.

So, those are the ones that you can yell at, cuss at, aim for, whatever. Just give those that follow the rules a break. Plus, maybe if people start calling the schools, Woodson and Frost, and complaining, they will have to do something. When it happens right before or right after school hours, between 6:30 - 7:30 AM and 2:00 - 3:30 PM September thru June, the school is responsible. FCPS guidelines say that once a student walks out their front door in the morning to go to school until they go through their door in the afternoon after school, they are considered to be "on school grounds" and their behavior can be dealt with at school.

Maybe the first 1 or 2 calls will do nothing, but if they keep coming in, they will be forced to do something.

Just my .02

-
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: July 09, 2007 08:41AM

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 08:33PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: July 15, 2007 02:53PM

> ...they told me that a lot
> of the kids are playing "chicken" with the cars.
> They'll stand by the road and wait until the car
> gets close to run out.

That's news to me... I haven't seen anyone do that! Do your daughters lie to you alot? ROFL

Date: July 16, 2007 08:50AM

joe Wrote:
> > ...they told me that a lot
> > of the kids are playing "chicken" with the
> cars.
> > They'll stand by the road and wait until the
> car
> > gets close to run out.
>
> That's news to me... I haven't seen anyone do
> that! Do your daughters lie to you alot? ROFL

Well, Joe, I don't know, Because YOU haven't seen it happen, they must be liars!

Kids are darting out in front of cars over there. THAT is true. Doesn't matter why, just that they are. That's the point I was trying to make.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: July 16, 2007 09:28AM

SaMiViMa Wrote:
> Well, Joe, I don't know, Because YOU haven't seen
> it happen, they must be liars!

No, you don't understand. I haven't heard ANYONE say that kids are playing chicken with cars. I have never seen it, and have never even heard of it.

And, anyone who jaywalks deserves to be hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 09:29AM by joe.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.