HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Rush @ Nissan Pavilion
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 24, 2007 09:00PM

Time to cleanse the music discussion over the last couple of months. Anybody see Rush at Nissan or at VA Beach? Awesome show. It would have been better if everyone wasn't on constant trips back and forth buying beer. I think my next show at Nissan will be lawn to avoid some of that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rush @ Nissan Pavilion
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 24, 2007 09:10PM

What sorta set did they play? "Classic" Rush, or "New" Rush?

I'd love to see the classic Rush, like "Finding My Way" "Working Man" "Passage to Bangkok", but I was afraid they'd mostly play the garbage they released during the 90's.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: June 24, 2007 10:23PM

RESton Peace and I went... they ran out of soft pretzels right before I got to the counter. :-(

Date: June 24, 2007 10:24PM

Actually they left out a huge chunk of the 90's. Bangkok was in the encore. They played all but two songs from their Permanent Waves album and almost half of Moving Pictures, so all in all it was a good mix.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 24, 2007 10:50PM

Pgens is right, I didn't hear any songs from Counterparts, which is one of my favorite rush albums, but they played all the biggest hits from before and they even played "one little victory", which was on a need for speed game a few years ago.

Awesome show. I gave up drinking beer at venues years ago. There is no amount of budweiser that is worth handing over a ten dollar bill for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2007 10:51PM by RESton Peace.

Date: June 24, 2007 10:53PM

You know, meeper, "classic rush" isn't all that different from modern rush. They try to be a little heavier now, is all.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 25, 2007 02:30AM

"classic rush" isn't all that different from modern rush.

I was referring to albums like Presto and Roll The Bones, which I thought were relatively terrible. I don't recall them being heavier either, in fact IIRC they were pretty wimpy albums. But it has been over 15 years since I listened to them so maybe I'm just wrong,

Date: June 25, 2007 02:39AM

Hey, the original rush sound was those guys being all "British invasion" back in the 60's, so it doesn't surprise me that they changed to something else wimpy more recently. I never listened to those two albums.

Posted by: MusicLoverVA ()
Date: June 25, 2007 04:06AM

No thanks. I like good music.

Date: June 25, 2007 04:10AM

No you don't.

Date: June 25, 2007 07:03AM

Yeah, they didn't play anything from Power Windows, Presto, Counterparts, or Test for Echo. And they only played one song from Roll the Bones, and one from Hold Your Fire. So two songs are all that were played from a 10-year period.

Did you guys stay for the entire encore? If so, how was getting out of Nissan? In shows past it used to take at least an hour just to get out of the lot, so we left at the encore and listened to the rest of the show with the windows down while getting out of there. I had boots from the earlier shows on the tour so I already knew what was coming.

Date: June 25, 2007 07:56AM

It was absolutely the easiest time I have ever had getting out of Nissan. Genevieve and I did stay past the encore. We were parked in the front though.

Date: June 25, 2007 07:58AM

You mean the $20 parking area? I was buried in the regular schlep area and it seemed I had to drive past many rows to get to that point.

Date: June 25, 2007 08:32AM

we didn't pay for parking....

I mean our space was few feet from wellington rd... but a grass berm seperated us from it..

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: June 27, 2007 05:09PM

Personally I only like songs from the John Rutsey era. Neil Pert is soooo pretentious

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 27, 2007 06:25PM

Last time I was at Nissan it was $10 for a 20 oz beer. Used to be venues tried to take it easy on patrons, but nowadays it is screw the customers for all they are worth. No one would mind a little profit but ten bucks for a draft is highway robbery. But you cant bring it in so wtf. Ten bucks is what, 3 six packs?

Posted by: . ()
Date: June 27, 2007 07:15PM

Rush is for losers.

Date: June 27, 2007 09:14PM

cw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last time I was at Nissan it was $10 for a 20 oz
> beer. Used to be venues tried to take it easy on
> patrons, but nowadays it is screw the customers
> for all they are worth. No one would mind a little
> profit but ten bucks for a draft is highway
> robbery. But you cant bring it in so wtf. Ten
> bucks is what, 3 six packs?

That's what showing up early and hanging in the parking lot is for. They had security roving around a little, but it wasn't too hard to keep things out of sight. But yeah, it is $10 for a 22oz can, which isn't too far off from FedEx Field $6 or $7 for a 16-oz draft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2007 09:15PM by pgens.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 27, 2007 11:18PM

I am aware of the tail gating in the parking lot but once inside you are stuck with no choice. Each year they seem to be trying to outdo each other in sticking it to customers. Last time I was at Verizon Center it was 7 bucks for a crappy cup of warm draft beer, maybe 12 ounces.
Between that and ticketmaster with their tacked on service charges it just sucks.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: June 28, 2007 07:58AM

ferfux Wrote:
> Personally I only like songs from the John Rutsey
> era. Neil Pert is soooo pretentious

I laughed out loud.

Posted by: Carress of Steel ()
Date: June 28, 2007 02:24PM

We used to listen to Rush while playing D&D. Like the Smiths they are a total High school Loser band. Prog rock at its finest.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: June 28, 2007 02:51PM

Sounds like some loser shit anyway.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:21PM

Carress of Steel Wrote:
> We used to listen to Rush while playing D&D. Like
> the Smiths they are a total High school Loser
> band. Prog rock at its finest.

No need to misappropriate Caress of Steel. That's a bad fuckin' album. Except "I think I'm Going Bald".

That song is horrible. More Nell Parrt pretentiousness.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.