HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Not real ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:04PM

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! How yall enjoying these 20+ 90 degree days?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:07PM

Did you just move here in the last two years? This is normal Summer weather, dumbass.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Date: July 22, 2010 07:08PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you just move here in the last two years? This
> is normal Summer weather, dumbass.


Err, it's not, actually. June was the warmest on record for DC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Not real ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:08PM

OH really? Name the other year where we had 20+ 90 degree days and 90 degree days in April. And I'm the dumbass, lmao. and oh COOL!!! Name-calling, really? I didn't realize you were 6, good job using the computer, genius!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: MouthsForWar ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:10PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38263788/ Hottest summer on record.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Not real ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:11PM

lol, thanks Wash. Cause I'm totally the dumbass. I think that dumbass is the one who just moved here. I've lived here 20 years and haven't seen shit like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:14PM

I happen to think global warming is real, but pointing to a few weeks of exceptionally hot weather as evidence of it is about as idiotic as when Rush Limbaugh runs video of tow trucks pulling other tow trucks out of the snow as evidence that it isn't happening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Not real ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:17PM

Did you totally miss that big NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!...? If so, that sucks, but anyway, there's a lot of other "proofs of evidence" in the world going on, but I don't care, nor do I have the time to list them all, but like I said, enjoying these 20+ 90 degree days?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: She DeviI ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:21PM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I happen to think global warming is real, but
> pointing to a few weeks of exceptionally hot
> weather as evidence of it is about as idiotic as
> when Rush Limbaugh runs video of tow trucks
> pulling other tow trucks out of the snow as
> evidence that it isn't happening.


The oil spill never happened either, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Date: July 22, 2010 07:24PM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I happen to think global warming is real, but
> pointing to a few weeks of exceptionally hot
> weather as evidence of it is about as idiotic as
> when Rush Limbaugh runs video of tow trucks
> pulling other tow trucks out of the snow as
> evidence that it isn't happening.


+1

More worrisome is that the Chesapeake is heating up. Idiots like Focus on the Family are all like "It's time to worry about people, not animals." Yeah, remember that when there are no more animals to eat. How long before these morons find a passage in the Bible that allows us to eat old and the lame people?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Gravediggaz ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:13PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More worrisome is that the Chesapeake is heating
> up.

No it isn't. At least, not beyond the normal, "It's summer and the water is warmer"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Doubtful ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:31PM

How long have we been recording the temperature highs/lows for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:55AM

MouthsForWar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38263788/ Hottest
> summer on record.


Quote

since records began in 1979.

o noz!


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:10AM

You must be taking lessons from Tucker Carlson or Andrew Breitbart. The quote you selectively pulled out refers to Arctic sea ice levels--not temperatures. Here are the relevant quotes in context.

January-June temperatures averaged 57.5 degrees Fahrenheit — 1.22 degrees F above the 20th Century average, according to the National Climatic Data Center. Its records go back to 1880.

Arctic sea ice covered an average of 4.2 million square miles during June — "10.6 percent below the 1979-2000 average extent and the lowest June extent since records began in 1979.


Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MouthsForWar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38263788/ Hottest
> > summer on record.
>
> since records began in 1979.
>
> o noz!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:15AM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You must be taking lessons from Tucker Carlson or
> Andrew Breitbart. The quote you selectively
> pulled out refers to Arctic sea ice levels--not
> temperatures. Here are the relevant quotes in
> context.
>
> January-June temperatures averaged 57.5 degrees
> Fahrenheit — 1.22 degrees F above the 20th Century
> average, according to the National Climatic Data
> Center. Its records go back to 1880.
>
> Arctic sea ice covered an average of 4.2 million
> square miles during June — "10.6 percent below the
> 1979-2000 average extent and the lowest June
> extent since records began in 1979.
>

Here is a good primer for those who have Al Gore-itis...

Global Warming Skepticism, for Dummies
http://www.drroyspencer.com/2010/07/my-global-warming-skepticism-for-dummies/
5) Isn’t the Melting of Arctic Sea Ice Evidence of Warming? Warming, yes…manmade warming, no. Arctic sea ice naturally melts back every summer, but that meltback was observed to reach a peak in 2007. But we have relatively accurate, satellite-based measurements of Arctic (and Antarctic) sea ice only since 1979. It is entirely possible that late summer Arctic Sea ice cover was just as low in the 1920s or 1930s, a period when Arctic thermometer data suggests it was just as warm. Unfortunately, there is no way to know, because we did not have satellites back then. Interestingly, Antarctic sea ice has been growing nearly as fast as Arctic ice has been melting over the last 30+ years.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:22AM

I've never understood why we even bother to discuss this. Is the earth warming or not--who cares? Can anybody deny that it would be better if we could reduce the amount of pollution we produce?

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> Here is a good primer for those who have Al
> Gore-itis...
>
> Global Warming Skepticism, for Dummies
> http://www.drroyspencer.com/2010/07/my-global-warm
> ing-skepticism-for-dummies/
> 5) Isn’t the Melting of Arctic Sea Ice Evidence of
> Warming? Warming, yes…manmade warming, no. Arctic
> sea ice naturally melts back every summer, but
> that meltback was observed to reach a peak in
> 2007. But we have relatively accurate,
> satellite-based measurements of Arctic (and
> Antarctic) sea ice only since 1979. It is entirely
> possible that late summer Arctic Sea ice cover was
> just as low in the 1920s or 1930s, a period when
> Arctic thermometer data suggests it was just as
> warm. Unfortunately, there is no way to know,
> because we did not have satellites back then.
> Interestingly, Antarctic sea ice has been growing
> nearly as fast as Arctic ice has been melting over
> the last 30+ years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:48AM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never understood why we even bother to
> discuss this. Is the earth warming or not--who
> cares? Can anybody deny that it would be better
> if we could reduce the amount of pollution we
> produce?
>

If CO2 was actually pollution you would have a point. The studies actually show that more CO2 is a good thing, and will increase crop yields, etc. You don't want to have a discussion since it is hard to equate the two. It may be warmer - that doesn't mean it is man-made or due to CO2. That is the real issue with most skeptics - this continual attempt to classify CO2 as pollution is nothing more than redistributionist BS.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Date: July 23, 2010 07:51AM

Antarctic sea ice is growing? Yes. Because ice is breaking off of Antarctica due to warmer temperatures. It would be nice if the skeptics didn't use half-truths in order to make their case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:58AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Antarctic sea ice is growing? Yes. Because ice is
> breaking off of Antarctica due to warmer
> temperatures. It would be nice if the skeptics
> didn't use half-truths in order to make their
> case.

Antarctic sea ice peaks at third highest in the satellite record
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/07/03/antarctic-sea-ice-peaks-at-third-highest-in-the-satellite-record/

antarctic_sea_ice_070110.jpg?w=640&h=536If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:07AM

Arctic Sea Ice Comparison - 2007 to today:

cryo_compare_small.jpg

Hmm....

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:14AM

When they start making cars that emit pure CO2 and nothing else then we can discuss that.


Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> If CO2 was actually pollution you would have a
> point. The studies actually show that more CO2 is
> a good thing, and will increase crop yields, etc.
> You don't want to have a discussion since it is
> hard to equate the two. It may be warmer - that
> doesn't mean it is man-made or due to CO2. That is
> the real issue with most skeptics - this continual
> attempt to classify CO2 as pollution is nothing
> more than redistributionist BS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:17AM

Comparison of Arctic sea ice to Antarctic.

seaice.anomaly.arctic.pngseaice.anomaly.antarctic.pngIf you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:20AM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When they start making cars that emit pure CO2 and
> nothing else then we can discuss that.
>

What does that have to do with anything? They are classifying CO2 as a pollutant which is what most of our Electrical generating capacity produces. Not just us, but most of the world.

You read any of the articles on how the wind farms are doing? In most places they are having to idle them when the wind blows strongly, as they end up overwhelming the grid - and then when there is not enough wind, they are pretty much useless. So far they have caused more problems then they have solved - this is true here, and in Europe. Over there they end up paying the wind turbine operators to idle their farms in high winds - which actually INCREASES the cost of electricity to the public. Brilliant.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:22AM

We really need to come up with new labels for political identities. "Conservative" doesn't accurately describe people who have no regard for the conservation of natural resources and protection of our environment.

The fact of the matter is that Republicans start with a premise and then start searching for evidence to support it. "I want to drive a gigantic gas guzzling car whenever I want, so let me find some evidence that it's okay--or even desirable--to do that." Reasonable people start with the evidence and then alter their behavior based on that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:26AM

It's a straw man. You don't want to be behave responsibly with respect to the environment so you throw up all sorts of false arguments about why you shouldn't have to. My original point is that all of these diversionary squabbles about whether temperatures are warming or ice is increasing/decreasing are pointless. Cars and factories spew pollutants into our air--this is not a good thing. We should work on reducing them. Why is that such a controversial thing?


Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Voter___ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When they start making cars that emit pure CO2
> and
> > nothing else then we can discuss that.
> >
>
> What does that have to do with anything? They are
> classifying CO2 as a pollutant which is what most
> of our Electrical generating capacity produces.
> Not just us, but most of the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:33AM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We really need to come up with new labels for
> political identities. "Conservative" doesn't
> accurately describe people who have no regard for
> the conservation of natural resources and
> protection of our environment.
>
> The fact of the matter is that Republicans start
> with a premise and then start searching for
> evidence to support it. "I want to drive a
> gigantic gas guzzling car whenever I want, so let
> me find some evidence that it's okay--or even
> desirable--to do that." Reasonable people start
> with the evidence and then alter their behavior
> based on that.

Dude - I drive one of the most gas efficient cars out there right now. So please, get off your little homily stick and listen. POLLUTION is just that - inimical to our environment and us. CO2 is NOT pollution - very simple premise - as most plants process CO2 as part of their cycle, and produce.... wait for it... OXYGEN!!

The fact is - liberal dunktards like yourself don't want to discuss reality - you just seem to want to accept the premise that of all the biology and chemistry we have been taught over the last few decades, we are now supposed to believe that a gas that is not a pollutant is suddenly inimical to life as we know it, when the empirical evidence is out there to show that more CO2 = good for plants and other growth cycles. There is NO - ZERO - empirical evidence to show a direct correlation between CO2 levels and temperature. None. If anything, the most compelling graph that Al Gore produced showed CO2 FOLLOWING temperature, not the other way around.

You want to talk about polluting the environment, and true hazards to nature and the environment, that is a whole different discussion - like over-foresting of the Amazon for instance.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:46AM

Again, can you show me a vehicle that emits pure CO2? For purposes of debate, I'll concede the point that CO2 is a wonderful thing that we should be pumping into the air with abandon. If Hummer makes a model that emits pure CO2 you should buy two and leave them idling full time in your driveway. But as far as I know they don't make those, so at the same time you are pumping CO2 out you are also pumping all sorts of other toxins into the air--I don't think you are arguing that those are good too, or are you?

Registered Voter Wrote:
> ZERO - empirical evidence to show a direct
> correlation between CO2 levels and temperature.
> None. If anything, the most compelling graph that
> Al Gore produced showed CO2 FOLLOWING temperature,
> not the other way around.
>
> You want to talk about polluting the environment,
> and true hazards to nature and the environment,
> that is a whole different discussion - like
> over-foresting of the Amazon for instance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:47AM

I drive a giant ass SUV so that I can run to the store when it frosts and stock up on milk, bread, beer, and porno. It'll come in handy when the north Atlantic current shifts and the entire northern hemisphere freezes over. I'd like to see you get to the store in your Smart Fortwo then! HA!

----------------------------------------------------

Who is Gonads & Strife?
Outing on FFU: I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all Robert Paulson...or Eesh...or Eli...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:55AM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again, can you show me a vehicle that emits pure
> CO2? For purposes of debate, I'll concede the
> point that CO2 is a wonderful thing that we should
> be pumping into the air with abandon. If Hummer
> makes a model that emits pure CO2 you should buy
> two and leave them idling full time in your
> driveway. But as far as I know they don't make
> those, so at the same time you are pumping CO2 out
> you are also pumping all sorts of other toxins
> into the air--I don't think you are arguing that
> those are good too, or are you?
>

The issue is, that today's debate is all about CO2, and not pollution. And that is not of the Republican's making, that is Al Gore's argument and what he plans to make money off of - carbon trading. Which is one of the biggest boondoggles to show up since snake oil salesmen.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 09:03AM

It's like you don't read the posts, you just respond. My whole point was: who cares about global warming--pollution is a bad thing. Republicans want to bog everybody down in a pointless argument and throw up enough confusion to divert attention away from their bad behavior. They are truly the part of small ideas. We end up bickering about $2M spent on fruit fly research--in France no less!, or a couple of million spent on volcano monitoring, light bulbs, and mosques instead of trying to solve the really big challenges.

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> The issue is, that today's debate is all about
> CO2, and not pollution. And that is not of the
> Republican's making, that is Al Gore's argument
> and what he plans to make money off of - carbon
> trading. Which is one of the biggest boondoggles
> to show up since snake oil salesmen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 11:46AM

Voter___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's like you don't read the posts, you just
> respond. My whole point was: who cares about
> global warming--pollution is a bad thing.
> Republicans want to bog everybody down in a
> pointless argument and throw up enough confusion
> to divert attention away from their bad behavior.
> They are truly the part of small ideas. We end up
> bickering about $2M spent on fruit fly
> research--in France no less!, or a couple of
> million spent on volcano monitoring, light bulbs,
> and mosques instead of trying to solve the really
> big challenges.
>


So - we are in a thread about global warming, in which you already started a discussion about the polar ice extent and such, and then when I start talking about CO2, suddenly you want to talk about pollution.

So, you are saying that CO2 cap and trade is BS, and that we should really be just dealing with REAL pollution? Sound about right? Because again, the Republicans did not bring up the CO2 argument - that was put on the table by liberals, and the UN IPCC has been using that issue for the last few years to try and browbeat nations into regulating CO2. Just so we are clear now.

I have never had an argument with real pollution - we should be doing everything to recycle, and use less (in general) while still working to increase our quality of life. That doesn't mean we all turn off our air conditioners in the summer (like some nut on WAPO suggested) in some bid to get back to basics. My server farm would not survive if it had to operate in 99F+ temperatures for long.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Date: July 23, 2010 12:46PM

FYI - I no longer argue with "rats."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:55PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FYI - I no longer argue with "rats."


productimage-picture-i-smell-a-rat-patriimages?q=tbn:SJLrJI47ilmm1Mchuck-e-cheese-hell.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Who is Gonads & Strife?
Outing on FFU: I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all Robert Paulson...or Eesh...or Eli...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Voter___ ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:08PM

Um, no. First off, I didn't start a discussion about polar ice--I merely corrected some nimrod's deceptive quote. Secondly, there have been countless threads discussing global warming--do we really need another one? Aren't you bored with the topic yet. Trust me, I have no interest in participating in a discussion about global warming and whether it is a hoax or not.

I only posted in the thread in the first place because I find it tiresome when the right uses a single example of a cold day or week to refudiate [sic] global warming, so I thought it was only fair to point out the same when somebody from the other side did it.

The larger point I was trying to make, which you just don't seem to get, is that the only reason people get their panties all in a bunch about global warming is because they don't want to make the changes that accepting it as real would require. Yes, like using less air conditioning. If you feel the need to have a server farm, for whatever reason, please keep your air conditioning running. I'm sure the fate of mankind depends on whatever little enterprise you are operating there. But us regular folks who just have a little laptop that seems to do just fine in warmer temps can surely do with less of it. When we aren't in an exceptionally long and brutal heat wave I have my air conditioning turned off most of the time and find it quite comfortable.

One more time--this is my point. Am I saving the polar ice caps by trying to run my air conditioner less? I have no idea--I don't care. What I do know, is that using less energy is good for the planet in lots of ways. Arguing about the specifics of CO2 or this or that merely obscures that point.

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> So - we are in a thread about global warming, in
> which you already started a discussion about the
> polar ice extent and such, and then when I start
> talking about CO2, suddenly you want to talk about
> pollution.
>
> So, you are saying that CO2 cap and trade is BS,
> and that we should really be just dealing with
> REAL pollution? Sound about right? Because again,
> the Republicans did not bring up the CO2 argument
> - that was put on the table by liberals, and the
> UN IPCC has been using that issue for the last few
> years to try and browbeat nations into regulating
> CO2. Just so we are clear now.
>
> I have never had an argument with real pollution -
> we should be doing everything to recycle, and use
> less (in general) while still working to increase
> our quality of life. That doesn't mean we all turn
> off our air conditioners in the summer (like some
> nut on WAPO suggested) in some bid to get back to
> basics. My server farm would not survive if it had
> to operate in 99F+ temperatures for long.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Global Warming is bullshit
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:24PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FYI - I no longer argue with "rats."

That's ok, most of the "rats" I know don't associate with folks that have a 2x4 stuck up their ass.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
GGH6D
This forum powered by Phorum.