HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Apple Store, Major WTF!
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: June 17, 2010 12:25AM

So someone from my family went to the Reston Apple store today, to look into getting an iPad for someone elses birthday (They had mentioned wanting it a few months back). They had to wait just to get into the crowded store, and when they finally got in, the BS began. First, they asked for the 32 GB WiFi version, but the sales person replied: "Why, what's wrong, why don't you want the 3G version?" So the customer says: "I just want the WiFi version, I don't plan on using the 3G". The bum behind the counter acted put-off, like EVERYONE must want AT&T, but that was just an obvious attempt at them hawking their partner's celly contracts. Whatever.

So the convo. moved on, and the employee says: "Oh, well sorry, we don't have any available iPads right now". The customer then replied: "Well, can you find out which stores in the area still have the device in inventory?". Then the bum says: "Oh, no, we don't have the ability to check on that sort of thing". So being a little dumbfounded, the customer asks: "What do you mean you can't check on the inventory, can't you look on the computer, or just call one of the other stores nearby?". The sales person then says: "Oh no, we can't do that, we don't do that sort of thing". Then they say: "Hey, but we can place you on a waiting list if you want, and we'll notify you sometime down the road when we might have one available". The customer just says: "What kind of joke business is this? You run it like complete crap", and that was the end of it.

So the individual in question comes home, and he decides to place a call to one of the other stores to see if there is any better luck (As well as improved customer service). However, there is no direct dial-in to the other stores, only an automated menu a mile long that you have to go through, JUST to get in touch with a store only a few miles away.

Now, I used to like Apple when I first got my iPod YEARS ago, and I considered them an innovative company. Ever since I first considered developing Apps. for the iPhone however, I realized that their company runs itself with a serious stick up its ass. It's one of the major reasons for why I went with an Android OS in my smartphone, and why I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed to Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a clearance type attitude. I still respect Apple's Macs, and the iPod which I have, but I can't get over the feeling that their company is acting like a complete Gulag operation, controlling every aspect with glee, as the masses flock towards their products like crack fiends craving the latest fix.

Anyhow, what is everyone elses experience with Apple, and especially their stores?

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apple Store, Major WTF!
Posted by: retail_employee ()
Date: June 17, 2010 06:56AM

I don't understand what the big deal is. People that work at the Apple store are typically fanboys. If you don't get the latest and greatest, they prob feel like they have failed.

Your biggest gripe about the ipad isn't a big deal at all. First of all, I thought the ipad had been sold out for months, so order a less popular version of a hot product, you shouldn't be surprised that they were sold out.

Second, I used to work in a retail establishment, and we couldn't check inventory of another store either. Although some may have access to the system, theres no way to tell which ones are on hold, stolen, etc.

So what happens? The employee has to call the store like any other person, and get put on hold for 20 mins (per store he is checking) cuz every apple store is busy as hell.

Some people just have to work retail to understand where an employee is coming from. Not saying it's the best customer service, but at least understand.

Date: June 17, 2010 06:58AM

For the most part Apple stores are pretty good when itcomes to customer service. However, the whole company as the attitude that it's God's gift to it's customers. What I think is funny is that up to about a year ago their handheld credit card readers used Windows OS. Heh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:48AM

So in summary, you are mad because you went to buy a product marketed toward pretentious people and met a pretentious salesperson.

It's one of the major reasons for why I went with an Android OS in my smartphone, and why I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed to Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a clearance type attitude. I still respect Apple's Macs, and the iPod which I have, but I can't get over the feeling that their company is acting like a complete Gulag operation, controlling every aspect with glee, as the masses flock towards their products like crack fiends craving the latest fix.

Whatever, their balance sheet tells you they couldn't give the slightest crap about your opinion. Enjoy Android and move on, unfettered by the problems you perceive with Apple.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 17, 2010 08:16AM

I don't really like those stores, and I don't like having to schedule appointments at their "genius bar", BUT, I will say that they have always handled my problems professionally, and their staff are very knowledgeable. Light-years beyond the dopes working at Best Buy. I thought it was weird when I had to stand in a special line for 10 minutes to buy my new phone last summer, but the dude who ended up helping got me set-up and running in minutes.

I'm not a fan of Apple and would never buy a Mac, but I'll continue to buy my phones from their stores.

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:28AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, I used to like Apple when I first got my iPod
> YEARS ago, and I considered them an innovative
> company. Ever since I first considered developing
> Apps.

If you really look at what Apple has been selling for the past few years, you'll see that they haven't really been that innovative. The iPod has only been slightly upgraded over the past few versions, the iPhone is basically just an iPod Touch with a phone, and the iPad is just a bigger iPod Touch.

Sure, they have upgraded the hardware and they have done some nice work on making cleaner and more functional touch screens on devices, but they're only making incremental improvements on a design that is fundamentally identical to the first iPod that was ever released.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, people are snatching them up like crazy, so good for Apple, but we're also starting to see the long hidden Apple arrogance start to come out. Apple is now far more controlling and arrogant than IBM was back in the day when Apple ran their Big Brother Superbowl commercial.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:36AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed to
> Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a clearance
> type attitude.

you mean like Microsoft? be free to do what you please, use an open source OS. oh yeah, what's the deal with mac osx only running on apple hardware which costs 10x the price of a decent PC?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:40AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I don't really like those stores, and I don't like
> having to schedule appointments at their "genius
> bar",

This is the most degrading, insulting part of going to an Apple store.

Plus, there's no geniuses there, only scruffy looking hipsters in Apple shirts.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:36AM

Gravis Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed to
> > Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a clearance
> > type attitude.
>
> you mean like Microsoft? be free to do what you
> please, use an open source OS. oh yeah, what's
> the deal with mac osx only running on apple
> hardware which costs 10x the price of a decent PC?

That is such bullshit. Microsoft is not going to come into your house and tell you how to use their OS. They don't give a fuck once you've paid for your copy. This has been proven time and time again when someone takes the latest OS, strips out everything, and figures out how to run it on a single CD, makes a bootable version on a USB stick, etc.

All you're doing with your bullshit flavor of Linux is installing it and running some open source software on it. How, exactly, are you using it "your way" and doing something totally revolutionary that can only be done on Linux.

You're not. You're using what someone else has written and thinking that makes you special or edgy or revolutionary because it's open source! Wooooo!!! That's no different than someone who uses Windows or Mac OS.

The only people more arrogant than Apple fans are Linux fanboys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 10:38AM by boredom.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:38AM

boredom Wrote:
> If you really look at what Apple has been selling
> for the past few years, you'll see that they
> haven't really been that innovative. The iPod has
> only been slightly upgraded over the past few
> versions, the iPhone is basically just an iPod
> Touch with a phone, and the iPad is just a bigger
> iPod Touch.

You say in the last few years nothing was innovative, yet use the Touch as a benchmark to compare to. Three years ago in June 2007 (the latest date that still uses your term "past few years") the 5th generation iPod and 2nd generation Nano were the most recent releases. It was since then that the iPod Touch and iPhone lines were released. If you pull up a pic of a 5th generation iPod and compare it to a third-generation iPod Touch you don't see any innovation?

> Sure, they have upgraded the hardware and they
> have done some nice work on making cleaner and
> more functional touch screens on devices, but
> they're only making incremental improvements on a
> design that is fundamentally identical to the
> first iPod that was ever released.

Not so... the Touch does a much better job of playing video. Show me a movie or video of any kind playing on the first iPod, and downloadable apps on the first iPod. What improvements would have met your criteria for innovation that they didn't accomplish?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 10:44AM by pgens.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:41AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
>
> Plus, there's no geniuses there, only scruffy
> looking hipsters in Apple shirts.

Yeah it's not even a real bar either. I asked them what they had on tap and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:44AM

The "Apple Store" that has a bar in it does sound like a restaurant.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:49AM

630200843704PM_gaytest.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: June 17, 2010 10:53AM

pgens Wrote:
> You say in the last few years nothing was
> innovative, yet use the Touch as a benchmark to
> compare to. Three years ago in June 2007 (the
> latest date that still uses your term "past few
> years") the 5th generation iPod and 2nd generation
> Nano were the most recent releases. It was since
> then that the iPod Touch and iPhone lines were
> released. You are saying if you pull up a pic of
> a 5th generation iPod and compare it to a
> third-generation iPod Touch you don't see any
> innovation?

The only difference between the Touch and the original iPod is the size, the touch screen, and some software changes. There may have been innovations from a hardware standpoint, but from a usability and interface point of view, it wasn't innovative. Touch screens were not new.

The touch *is* a significant improvement in usability over the previous versions and it is an excellently designed device, but it isn't innovative.

Moving on, the iPad isn't magical, revolutionary, or even special. It's a tablet. Tablets have been around for years and never were a very successful device except for speciality applications (ex. Fedex, the Amazon Kindle, etc.) I do like that Apple has energized the tablet market and I hope it doesn't turn out to be just a fad.

However, the iPad isn't revolution either. Aside from being a big iPod Touch, the shape and overall idea isn't even Apple's. Bust out some Star Trek TNG. They have tablets (PADDs) that look very much like Apple's iPad. I'd put money on it that the TNG writers didn't even come up with the design and instead got their inspiration from some other source.

> Not so... the Touch does a much better job of
> playing video. Show me a movie or video of any
> kind playing on the first iPod. Show my
> downloadable apps on the first iPod. What
> improvements would have met your criteria for
> innovation that they didn't accomplish?

Again, that is due more to upgraded hardware. The software required for playing video has been around for over a decade. The reason the iPod touch can play video is due to a higher resolution screen, increased memory, and a faster processor. The software portion is something the Apple developers could do in their sleep.

Now, extend that to the iPhone and the iPad. Apple is making (relatively) simple steps forward to improve their products just enough to make people want to buy them again. That's just good business and fantastic that they've been able to continue doing it year after year.

And before you start saying, "Well, the new iPhone drops fewer calls because they came up with a solution to wrap the antenna around the outside of the phone, see! INNOVATION!"

Sorry. It's a good design principle that's been around for years. Wrapping an antenna around something to increase the total antenna length isn't even remotely new. That shit is decades old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 10:58AM by boredom.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:04AM

Apple is hugely innovative. The problem is, as soon as they break new ground, Google and a slew of other companies quickly catch up and start making their own innovations. But, seriously, the iPhone has only been out a couple of years. Can anyone really claim that the iPhone hasn't revolutionized smart phones?

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:10AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> Apple is hugely innovative.

Yes they are, but whenever they come up with a new product, Jobs gets on stage in his black turtleneck and acts as if he cured cancer.

Blessed are the murderous.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:12AM

I respect your opinions but respectfully disagree with the manner you are reporting them in hindsight. If in 2001 you showed today's iPod Touch to someone who had just bought the first-generation iPod, after they got done saying two four-letter words with the initials HF they would certainly say innovation will occur. Introducing handheld video playback that was actualy usable and watchable was innovative. Downloadable apps were innovative, and yes responsive touchscreens on portable music players were innovative. Of course the hardware changed but you are putting the cart before the horse... the hardware improvements were a consequence of innovative functionality and there to support it, not the innovation itself.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:15AM

eesh Wrote:

> Yes they are, but whenever they come up with a new
> product, Jobs gets on stage in his black
> turtleneck and acts as if he cured cancer.

Yeah, thats called extremely effective marketing and part of being innovative. Maybe some of the competitors ought to try doing some creative marketing and maybe they might actually sell a few units. Well, that and design an operation system that actually works, get a million apps and make a site like iTunes to sync everything.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:17AM

eesh Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > Apple is hugely innovative.
>
>
>

I'm sorry, but the iPad is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen. It's a toy, and trying to market it as anything else is just retarded.

Someone said, "Yeah, but it plays movies!" So what? The thing is completely ungainly to carry around, and the touch screen means it's probably not a good idea to just throw it in your bookbag. No camera, no USB ports...

It's a toy.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:19AM

Numbers Wrote:

>
> Yeah, thats called extremely effective marketing
> and part of being innovative. Maybe some of the
> competitors ought to try doing some creative
> marketing and maybe they might actually sell a few
> units. Well, that and design an operation system
> that actually works, get a million apps and make a
> site like iTunes to sync everything.

Apple sells an image, it's no different then what Abercrombie & Fitch does.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:28AM

eesh Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > Apple is hugely innovative.
>
>
>

I won't argue with that. But just because I don't like the guy or the company's culture doesn't mean that their products aren't innovative. I mean, is Dell just as innovative? Motorola? HP? Amazon? No. The only real competition is Google and to a certain extent what they are doing with Droid is aping Apple's iPhone OS.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:32AM

MrMephisto Wrote:

>
> I'm sorry, but the iPad is the dumbest fucking
> thing I've ever seen. It's a toy, and trying to
> market it as anything else is just retarded.
>
> Someone said, "Yeah, but it plays movies!" So
> what? The thing is completely ungainly to carry
> around, and the touch screen means it's probably
> not a good idea to just throw it in your bookbag.
> No camera, no USB ports...
>
> It's a toy.

I agree that the iPad is not a huge innovation compared to the iPhone. But it is an innovation in terms of Tablets. And I can't fault Apple for maximizing profit on technology it developed for the iPhone by sticking it in another product that people will be willing to buy.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:32AM

Gravis Wrote:
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> -----
> > I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed to
> > Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a clearance
> > type attitude.
>
> you mean like Microsoft? be free to do what you
> please, use an open source OS. oh yeah, what's
> the deal with mac osx only running on apple
> hardware which costs 10x the price of a decent PC?

Watch out Gravis.... Lurker is going to have to "school" you on the *true value* of Microsoft Products, because they are NOT Open Source... You don't want that to happen!!!! Do you?

Date: June 17, 2010 11:36AM

eesh Wrote:

> Apple sells an image, it's no different then what
> Abercrombie & Fitch does.

Yeah, so what's your point?
There is nothing stopping other manufacturers from doing the same thing.
BTW, the people buying all these iPhones and iPads aren't just Apple fanboys. If that were true, Apple would own the PC world and that's clearly not the case.

Most people that buy the phones and iPads are people that like to keep up with technology or have a specific use for the device in question.

Mephisto thinks iPads are toys, but 3 million people seem to think otherwise. Personally, I have no need or desire for an iPad yet, but I know people that travel a lot that LOVE them and see the potential of them down the road. I agree that this 1rst generation is nothing special, but I can also see a bit deeper into the future and see these replacing laptops.

BTW Mephisto, if you had an iPhone, I am 100% sure you would love it. There are lots of awesome music apps for songwriting, tunings, chord progressions, ect..
I have the Audio Tools app that has tone generators, an RTA, db meters, and tons of other stuff that is great for tuning PA systems and testing video.

Whether Apple is an innovator or not, at least they're pushing technology forward much faster than anyone else.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:46AM

Oh, no doubt. The iPhone's got some awesome music apps on it. But the iPad's little more than a big iPhone that doesn't make calls.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:53AM

> Apple is hugely innovative. The problem is, as
> soon as they break new ground, Google and a slew
> of other companies quickly catch up and start
> making their own innovations. But, seriously, the
> iPhone has only been out a couple of years. Can
> anyone really claim that the iPhone hasn't
> revolutionized smart phones?

Apple has revitalized the smart phone market, but there is a major difference between innovation (aka, doing something new) and doing something *BETTER* than everyone else.

You could argue that the iPhone v1.0 was innovative, and I'll actually grant you that. I thought about it after my last post and I'll even go so far as to say that v1.0 of the iPod and v1.0 of the iPhone were innovative. All subsequent versions, however, have been incremental improvements, but nothing more. And that is NOT a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with incremental improvements in a product. The iPad I see as an incremental improvement over the iPod Touch (and a shitload bigger in size). If you take some time to look at the design, all they did was slap on some already existing features, upgrade the OS, and make the thing bigger.

To illustrate my point, the Snuggie was innovative. Nobody had ever marketed a blanket with sleeves, or at least, not that I'd ever seen. Along comes the snuggie. Even if the Snuggie wasn't the first ever blanket with sleeves, I'll call it the iPod v1.0 because the iPod was NOT the first MP3 player.

Ok...

Original Snuggie = iPod v1.0 (Innovative)
iPod Touch = Snuggie with Microfleece. Not innovative. Still fundamentally the same thing, it just feels nicer.
iPod Mini = Snuggie for Dogs. Not innovative.
iPhone v1.0 = Snuggie that looks cool (innovative because you just can't make a snuggie look cool)
iPhone v2.0+ = Snuggie that looks cool with some bling (not innovative). Still fundamentally the same thing.
iPad = Microfleece snuggie for a fat man. Not innovative.

> I agree that the iPad is not a huge innovation
> compared to the iPhone. But it is an innovation in
> terms of Tablets. And I can't fault Apple for
> maximizing profit on technology it developed for
> the iPhone by sticking it in another product that
> people will be willing to buy.

The iPad is successful, but being successful doesn't make it innovative. Revitalizing a market with a product does not make the product innovative. Putting 3G support into a tablet doesn't make it innovative.

If the iPad was flexible (like a thick piece of paper) or if it ran on solar power, or something along those lines, then it would be innovative. If it could fold in half (like the Courier would have it if hadn't been killed), THAT would make it innovative.

Did you ever see "The One"? The Jet Li movie that kinda sucked? The hand-held computers the dimensional cops had. The one where the screen popped out and then spun out to be much larger in size? That shit would have been innovative because nobody has done that in a consumer product yet (and it was done with CGI in the movie).

Innovation, true innovation, is doing something new. A number of years back, when IBM came up with a new way of creating LCD screens, that was innovation. It cut the cost of production and allowed for greater production capacity.

When Bose came out with noise cancelling headphones, that was innovation.

There are new door locks on the market that you can rekey yourself from the inside of your house, without opening them up and changing tumblers. That is innovation.

Making a product larger is not innovation. Not even close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 11:58AM by boredom.

Posted by: Jamey ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:57AM

I dont think you understand that most Americans take offense to Apple's approach to selling a brand instead of technological advancements. It's almost a cult-like, Eurocentric, business model that does nothing but promote Jobs's slick, phoney persona. Alot of people have had it up to here and would never sell out to this hyped up corporate lifestyle being shoved down our throats 24/7. It's sad actually.

Numbers Wrote:
> eesh Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Apple sells an image, it's no different then
> what
> > Abercrombie & Fitch does.
>
>
> Yeah, so what's your point?
> There is nothing stopping other manufacturers from
> doing the same thing.
> BTW, the people buying all these iPhones and iPads
> aren't just Apple fanboys. If that were true,
> Apple would own the PC world and that's clearly
> not the case.
>
> Most people that buy the phones and iPads are
> people that like to keep up with technology or
> have a specific use for the device in question.
>
> Mephisto thinks iPads are toys, but 3 million
> people seem to think otherwise. Personally, I have
> no need or desire for an iPad yet, but I know
> people that travel a lot that LOVE them and see
> the potential of them down the road. I agree that
> this 1rst generation is nothing special, but I can
> also see a bit deeper into the future and see
> these replacing laptops.
>
> BTW Mephisto, if you had an iPhone, I am 100% sure
> you would love it. There are lots of awesome music
> apps for songwriting, tunings, chord progressions,
> ect..
> I have the Audio Tools app that has tone
> generators, an RTA, db meters, and tons of other
> stuff that is great for tuning PA systems and
> testing video.
>
> Whether Apple is an innovator or not, at least
> they're pushing technology forward much faster
> than anyone else.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: June 17, 2010 12:19PM

SRE Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> -----
> > ThePackLeader Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed
> to
> > > Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a
> clearance
> > > type attitude.
> >
> > you mean like Microsoft? be free to do what
> you
> > please, use an open source OS. oh yeah, what's
> > the deal with mac osx only running on apple
> > hardware which costs 10x the price of a decent
> PC?
>
> Watch out Gravis.... Lurker is going to have to
> "school" you on the *true value* of Microsoft
> Products, because they are NOT Open Source...
> You don't want that to happen!!!! Do you?

AND DON"T GET ME STARTED ON HOW F'D UP APPLE IS ABOUT NOT SUPPORTING FLASH! What a fucked up move by Job's & Apple.

Date: June 17, 2010 12:38PM

Jamey Wrote:
> I dont think you understand that most Americans
> take offense to Apple's approach to selling a
> brand instead of technological advancements. It's
> almost a cult-like, Eurocentric, business model
> that does nothing but promote Jobs's slick, phoney
> persona. Alot of people have had it up to here
> and would never sell out to this hyped up
> corporate lifestyle being shoved down our throats
> 24/7. It's sad actually.

That's just silly.
Explain how Apple is being forced down anyones throat. No one is forced to buy anything and for that matter, no one is forced to watch Jobs give a keynote speech. You would have to want to go online and search for it to even find it.

How can anyone be "offended" by a marketing approach that is barely even accessible to anyone that doesn't look for it. If you're referring to mainstream TV ads, there are a lot worse ad campaigns that have far more exposure.

By "hyped up corporate lifestyle", I suppose you're referring to those of us with jobs or that run businesses. In which case, I appreciate having the option of using different tools that benefit my company. The iPhone has been a great device to keep me informed via, phone, email, TM, maps, calendar, calculations, credit card processing, translations, converting, codes etc...

If you don't need anything like that, simply don't buy it. No ones holding a gun to your head.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:31PM

I guess if I need a PC, I can always turn to these "PC Geniuses."

operation-best-buy.jpg

I'm sure they have all of the answers.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:45PM

> I guess if I need a PC, I can always turn to these
> "PC Geniuses."
>
>
>
> I'm sure they have all of the answers.

I will admit that going into an Apple store is a much better experience than Best Buy and their condescending Geek Squad members.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:47PM

Jamey Wrote:
> I dont think you understand that most Americans
> take offense to Apple's approach to selling a
> brand instead of technological advancements. It's
> almost a cult-like, Eurocentric,business model

What the hell are you talking about?

Date: June 17, 2010 01:47PM

> I guess if I need a PC, I can always turn to these
> "PC Geniuses."

Apple: Bestows themselves the "genius" title.

Best Buy: Calls their professionals "geeks."

At least Best Buy is being honest. They're just "geeks," they never said they were experts. "Genius" carries the connotation of expertise.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:49PM

MrMephisto Wrote:

>
> At least Best Buy is being honest. They're just
> "geeks," they never said they were experts.
> "Genius" carries the connotation of expertise.

It's pretentious to be called a genius, but some of those Geek Squad members are real dipshits that think an A+ certification makes them hot shit.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:51PM

eesh Wrote:
> It's pretentious to be called a genius, but some
> of those Geek Squad members are real dipshits that
> think an A+ certification makes them hot shit.

I would never take my computer there for service. I'd try removing a virus with a claw hammer first.

Date: June 17, 2010 01:54PM

Numbers Wrote:

>
>
> Yeah, so what's your point?
> There is nothing stopping other manufacturers from
> doing the same thing.
> BTW, the people buying all these iPhones and iPads
> aren't just Apple fanboys. If that were true,
> Apple would own the PC world and that's clearly
> not the case.

I use Itunes and only use Ipods for mp3; Apple makes some really great products, but so much of their stuff is overpriced, and marketed as what a cool, sophisticated person would buy. It's an image, plain and simple.

>
> Mephisto thinks iPads are toys, but 3 million
> people seem to think otherwise. Personally, I have
> no need or desire for an iPad yet, but I know
> people that travel a lot that LOVE them and see
> the potential of them down the road. I agree that
> this 1rst generation is nothing special, but I can
> also see a bit deeper into the future and see
> these replacing laptops.

Just because you believe this optimism, doesn't mean other people are wrong in their opinions.

Date: June 17, 2010 02:23PM

eesh Wrote:

> Just because you believe this optimism, doesn't
> mean other people are wrong in their opinions.

Optimism? I don't necessarily see it that way, I just see it. It's the obvious transition, which is why other manufacturers are clambering to get aboard.

I'm not sure I even like the idea, but maybe one day, when they get things sorted out, I will.

I'm just not sure why people keep harping on Apple as some malicious corporate giant, while they sit in front of a Windows Vista PC.
Which is the more sinister and protruding beast? Apple with it's iPhone and iPad or Microsoft with its "no choice" proprietary products packaged in EVERY PC in the world.

Fuck, at least Apple computers let you run both OS's on their machines and let you open absolutely ANY MS program, spreadsheet, document, video, audio file, etc.. With a PC, you get what they give you, which is a consistently flawed OS, shitty hardware from god knows where and little pop ups every 5 seconds scaring you to buy more virus protection.

Mephisto would rather take a claw hammer to his PC than go to the Geek Squad, as most of us would, but had he gone to the Apple store and purchased a Mac, he wouldn't have had that problem in the first place.

It cracks me up when PC users have a problem they can't figure out, many just toss the whole unit in the trash and buy a new one, rather than endure the Geek Squad or similar "technical support" avenue. By the time they've tossed 2-3 PCs, they could have bought a mac and lived happily ever after (or until apple changes OS's and /or chipsets, lol)

Date: June 17, 2010 02:29PM

Or......you can buy online a No OS computer for a fraction of the cost, and install Ubuntu, which has little to zero chance of getting infected or crashing.

Date: June 17, 2010 02:34PM

Yes, but if I'd gone to the Apple store and bought a Mac, then I'd have to use a Mac. :)

Date: June 17, 2010 02:35PM

eesh Wrote:
> Or......you can buy online a No OS computer for a
> fraction of the cost, and install Ubuntu, which
> has little to zero chance of getting infected or
> crashing.

Hahhahhahhaha!!!!

Date: June 17, 2010 02:38PM

boredom Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> > ThePackLeader Wrote:
> > > I enjoy its open source abilities as opposed to
> > > Apple's air-tight, Top Secret, need a clearance
> > > type attitude.
> >
> > you mean like Microsoft? be free to do what you
> > please, use an open source OS. oh yeah, what's
> > the deal with mac osx only running on apple
> > hardware which costs 10x the price of a decent PC?
>
> That is such bullshit. Microsoft is not going to
> come into your house and tell you how to use their
> OS. They don't give a fuck once you've paid for
> your copy.

that requires i buy a license to use their software. i prefer to keep my $300. "it's free with a new PC," you say but you left out the part that a "new PC" is very expensive compared to just buying parts and upgrading ad hoc.

oh yeah and did you know a "security" update installs an uninstallable component for firefox? yeah, they integrate bing or some bullshit and all under the guise of security. the Windows Music/Video formats have DRM built directly into them which restricts what you can do with the file even if you paid for it.

> This has been proven time and time
> again when someone takes the latest OS, strips out
> everything, and figures out how to run it on a
> single CD, makes a bootable version on a USB
> stick, etc.

that's great and all but the level of modification is still very limited.

> All you're doing with your bullshit flavor of
> Linux is installing it and running some open
> source software on it. How, exactly, are you
> using it "your way" and doing something totally
> revolutionary that can only be done on Linux.
>
> You're not. You're using what someone else has
> written and thinking that makes you special or
> edgy or revolutionary because it's open source!
> Wooooo!!!

i never said or implied anything of the sort.

> That's no different than someone who
> uses Windows or Mac OS.
>
> The only people more arrogant than Apple fans are
> Linux fanboys.

wow... did i hit a nerve? i didnt say anything about linux, just open source. freebsd is another example of an open source OS.

all of that said, windows 7 is a great OS but it's restrictive in what you can do and OSX is even worse. to top it all off, you have to pay an exorbitant fee just to use it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 17, 2010 03:14PM

Gravis Wrote:
> that requires i buy a license to use their
> software. i prefer to keep my $300. "it's free
> with a new PC," you say but you left out the part
> that a "new PC" is very expensive compared to just
> buying parts and upgrading ad hoc.

I fail to see the point. You can piece together a PC and run Windows or Linux, or run Windows with VMs of Linux (and any other OS using VPC or VMWare), or run Linux and dual boot to Windows. Yes, you have to buy a copy (heaven forbid you have to pay for something).

> oh yeah and did you know a "security" update
> installs an uninstallable component for firefox?
> yeah, they integrate bing or some bullshit and all
> under the guise of security. the Windows
> Music/Video formats have DRM built directly into
> them which restricts what you can do with the file
> even if you paid for it.

Yes, an update was released that caused problems and then Microsoft fixed that problem, so it isn't an issue any longer. Big f'ing deal.

> that's great and all but the level of modification
> is still very limited.

Ok, so what sort of mods have you actually done on your system at home? Post the full list. With Windows 7 Embedded (or the previous version), I can build images of Windows to run on devices, kiosk terminals, remove the UI, keep the UI, fiddle with device support, etc.

> i never said or implied anything of the sort.

You said "be free to do what you please" which implies that because you are using an open source OS, you are doing what you please, so again, what, exactly, are you doing on Linux that you couldn't be doing on Mac OS or Windows.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: June 18, 2010 07:09AM

The problems with open source is:
1) There is no way to verify who has had their hands in the code.
2) Anybody can download, install and hack it.

Beware of free, it comes with huge security risks.

Date: June 18, 2010 07:55PM

Lurker, that can be said of proprietary software too. Do you personally know all of the coders at Microsoft who are responsible for each and every Patch Tuesday fix? What you have identified isn't an open source software problem, it is a software problem.

Date: June 19, 2010 08:26AM

boredom Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> > that requires i buy a license to use their
> > software. i prefer to keep my $300. "it's free
> > with a new PC," you say but you left out the part
> > that a "new PC" is very expensive compared to just
> > buying parts and upgrading ad hoc.
>
> I fail to see the point. You can piece together a
> PC and run Windows or Linux, or run Windows with
> VMs of Linux (and any other OS using VPC or
> VMWare), or run Linux and dual boot to Windows.
> Yes, you have to buy a copy (heaven forbid you
> have to pay for something).

it's $300 for windows! i can build a computer for less than that or buy half a tank of gas (ZING!). additionally, windows vista and 7 will fail to recognize you as the valid holder of the license if you upgrade enough components. however, OSX wont run on anything that didnt come from Apple which is way overpriced.

> > oh yeah and did you know a "security" update
> > installs an uninstallable component for firefox?
> > yeah, they integrate bing or some bullshit and all
> > under the guise of security. the Windows
> > Music/Video formats have DRM built directly into
> > them which restricts what you can do with the file
> > even if you paid for it.
>
> Yes, an update was released that caused problems
> and then Microsoft fixed that problem, so it isn't
> an issue any longer. Big f'ing deal.

the DRM remains.

> > that's great and all but the level of modification
> > is still very limited.
>
> Ok, so what sort of mods have you actually done on
> your system at home?

> You said "be free to do what you please" which
> implies that because you are using an open source
> OS, you are doing what you please, so again, what,
> exactly, are you doing on Linux that you couldn't
> be doing on Mac OS or Windows.

i have only done a few modifications myself but the implication is that other people can make modifications and share them. they come up with good ideas too. image/video/audio thumbnailing originated from open source desktop environments. a great feature that's been added as a default feature is individual icon scaling. i've made my trash icon quite large so it's easy drop a file into. the "start menu" organizes programs by function, not name which is something you cant do with windows. the best mod ever: disable caps lock. you can actually map keys to do anything you want. type a character, launch a program, do a media function (like play/pause), feed the cat, dispose of dead bodies and more. this functionality is partially implemented and limited in windows and require additional applications. these are just for the desktop environment, mind you. there are a myriad of functionality that doesnt exist on windows but it's technically possible to implement because of the incredible flexibility of Explorer. an A+ to the guys who designed it! the ability to have multiple desktops is invaluable and that cant be done at all on windows. it's a bit strange at first but it's sweet after the first week of using them.

however, a fantastic option for the most popular open source OSes is the choice of filesystem(s). this is a very good thing because fragmentation is horrific on NTFS. worse yet is that if you run a defragmentation program on a SSD (solid state disk) it degrades performance even more and yes, i do use a SSD for my OS. MS has removed the option to create filesystem drivers from their DDK (driver development kit and it's damn expensive!) so you are out of luck there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 08:29AM by Gravis.

Date: June 19, 2010 08:59AM

I guess if you enjoy having a PC that takes 20 minutes to boot, crashes daily, is infested with viruses, requires an external driver to install anything and runs slower than shit after 6 months of use, I guess a Mac would seem over-priced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 09:00AM by WashingTone-Locian.

Posted by: frbgrefre ()
Date: October 01, 2019 04:01PM

gerrymanderer2 (OP) posts several lies on ffu daily - many\.10think he's a fx co gov worker who is getting paid to do it for false DNC democrat "advertising". he floods ffu with useless posts to bump down major news, posts fecal matter, mutilated bodies, child porn, foreign drug ads and sneaker ads, tells people to kill themselves and government should seize them and put them on psych pills in prison - decided by democrat gov of course, promotes kangaroo courthouse trials, gives anti-religious rants, gives satanic ritual rants, posts black males with large dicks on white young females, portends white low birth rate and fall of USA, food tampering/poisoning, and anything possible to DEMORALIZE white people on ffu. (perhaps a chinese prisoner or isis member - but definitely knowledgeable of fx co gov from the inside at times). the website operator has told him "not to post or return" which are still posted - not removed, by the sysop: not because of a political leaning but for continual illegal and gross spam along with messages that are only to demoralize if not kill others. he/she plays at financial terrorism as well: continuall reporting false financial data, and fake emergency please from (fake members of the community he makes up)

G2 HAS BEEN POSTING ANTI-APPLE ADS ON FFU FOR SEVERAL YEARS - AND FOR MOST OF THOSE YEARS SIMPLY LYING ON FACTS NOT SIMPLE MIS-CONCEPTIONS

ipod was an electronic toy - a few linux users at the time even built their own (not smart ones you understand, but they worked)

no one knew at a the time it would become a smart phone - and only apple took it seriously you can say (everyone else hung their hat on the larger handheld models)

G2 LIKELY HAS SOME SYNDROME OF BLAMING APPLE FOR THINGS THEY DID NOT DO

unlike g2 i could never afford an apple - i spent more time as a child rebooting microsoft products than i did using them or playing - and i hated microsoft for that

i had blamed bill gates for win95 - eventually realized a whole corporation not one person was at fault and there was more at hand than "just the programming"

i was FORCED in to using linux because i used a computer to do homework (CS/IT classes) and simply could not get an hour of work done without rebooting: i had thousands of hours of work to do i had no choice.

BUT ASIANS AND (germans) were behind perverting linux into being a anti-usa takeover tool. THEY FOOLED EVERYONE. PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN "BUT THAT ISN'T UNIX" AND THEY'D BE INSULTED, MARKED AS *PROBLEM*SOLVED* AND IP BANNED PERMANENTLY. INTEL CHIPS (originially "supported" because asia had been given code for free) became attacked and only ARM supported (the anti-usa hostile takeover tool: pervert linux into being ARM and composed of stolen AT&T and Intel code licensed to asia, factories in asia building "everything", asia wins the world, and probably then continues hitler's footsteps)

G2 doesn't realize that WAR, meaning real cold warfare between countries and militaries, has something to do with why his life did not go as planned.

And that democrats were funding the ANTI-USA forced to attack USA for a short term profit - which is continually today's news - that would have been called far fetched years ago.

But today we see dems aligning with anything anti-american defying logic: pro iran, anti-israel, anti Intel, pro-facism, ppro socialism: things democrats are now admitting openly they denied earlier when getting hillary state department funding.

Posted by: tghyujthg ()
Date: October 01, 2019 04:03PM

OP should next realize his dumb ass was even kept alive to hate apple and

that merely keeping him alive REQUIRED POLITICAL MANEUVERING

Posted by: ertgrtere ()
Date: October 01, 2019 04:11PM

lasttly OP should realize THAT TECH WARS HAPPENED LONG BEFORE THE LINUX WARS

the wars between apple and win95 caused "allot of casualties" (and are still ongoing)

THE UNIX WARS - BETWEEN THE FIVE BIG UNIX CONTRACTORS (IE, IBM, SOLARIS, XEROX, GE, other huge players)

these happened before bill gates even (stole) the first DOS disk

before that england and USA was mostly competing against itself (england seeming to not care competitively) in the earlier fields of electronics - such as "small-er easy-er radar", and large room computers

but one constant has been that tech wars always existed and caused real casualties

the wars are ongoing: iran asia germany still want "total hack control" of computers (ie, using broken encryption schemes, flawed chips, asian made, etc) and total production. they decided that stealing linux - destroying it (so that it was no longer a unix), putting their names in as the authors - would be a vehicle for their destruction of: made in usa and the us military

Posted by: 2rfgtr3e ()
Date: October 01, 2019 04:19PM

NOW - blaming apple corp. for any of this IS PURELY WRONG

apple donated a ton of stuff to the community (and that was stolen by microsoft which almost ended apple)

apple created a business where you paid extra and GOT the best parts and best service - it was "not for everyone" (but you could find one "used" for sale?)

i'll not mention the war between DOS/Win95, free copy with purchase of non-IBM PC becasue it spans texas california asia and is a huge topic which was a long war many got burned in. but apple was "not in there" but effected by it.

(i still have no idea why restrictions on micrsoft haven't been lifted - there may be political dancing going on i am unaware of. ie, microsoft cannot use it's label on Office, nor any device it invests in, nor it's Cable Network(s))

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.