HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Trying 2 get paid ()
Date: October 15, 2020 05:54PM

I’m 30, so medical school to be a doctor is out too much time & schooling. I’m too old for software engineering/development, don’t like it and the dot heads have a monopoly on all the tech jobs. Too old for law school and lawyer market is saturated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: gubbt ()
Date: October 15, 2020 05:57PM

Sell sperm and plasma everyday. Then, when they tell you that you are tapped out, sell a kidney. Bang....you will have $200K. You are welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: politely jus sayin ()
Date: October 15, 2020 06:04PM

if you can't learn software engineering/development at age 30 you never were capable of learning it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Redundant ()
Date: October 15, 2020 06:06PM

politely jus sayin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you can't learn software
> engineering/development at age 30 you never were
> capable of learning it


Software development isn’t for everyone and is a very tedious job. I never understood why it is glorified. Coding is a redundant skill. AI will be coding pretty much everything in 12 or so years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: idiot pm says what ? ()
Date: October 15, 2020 06:09PM

over 20 years companies have been selling systems that allow business users to develop their own software

always fails in the end and they need true developers to do the work

keep dreaming since you will never learn to code !



Redundant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> politely jus sayin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > if you can't learn software
> > engineering/development at age 30 you never
> were
> > capable of learning it
>
>
> Software development isn’t for everyone and is a
> very tedious job. I never understood why it is
> glorified. Coding is a redundant skill. AI will be
> coding pretty much everything in 12 or so years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: yea, you dumb ()
Date: October 15, 2020 06:16PM

Redundant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> politely jus sayin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > if you can't learn software
> > engineering/development at age 30 you never
> were
> > capable of learning it
>
>
> Software development isn’t for everyone and is a
> very tedious job. I never understood why it is
> glorified. Coding is a redundant skill. AI will be
> coding pretty much everything in 12 or so years.


tedious and redundant are not difficult, unless you are missing a chromosome or 10

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Crack boy Biden ()
Date: October 15, 2020 06:53PM

Too bad your daddy wasn't vice president. You could get paid $50k a month for selling out America.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: NP6YD ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:03PM

Trying 2 get paid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m 30, so medical school to be a doctor is out
> too much time & schooling. I’m too old for
> software engineering/development, don’t like it
> and the dot heads have a monopoly on all the tech
> jobs. Too old for law school and lawyer market is
> saturated.


If you're too lazy to do the work to became a doctor (and I kinda doubt you have the brains for it anyway) you're too lazy to make $200K a year. For one example, some real estate agents make more than $200k a year, but they work their fucking asses off. Some plumbers make $200k a year, but they work their fucking asses off. Lots of sales guys make $200k a year, but....

You should get that by now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: systems engineer ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:38PM

Most systems engineers make over $200k

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Capt Crunch ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:42PM

systems engineer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most systems engineers make over $200k

Only if they have advanced degrees and a top secret clearance. My software engineers make between $90-$140,000.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Bunker Hiden Biden ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:47PM

Coke dealer- It worked for Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: plcdh ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:54PM

Bunker Hiden Biden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coke dealer- It worked for Hunter


More like coke user - political lackey go between. All he did was facilitate back door deals for his father that couldn't go through official diplomatic or business channels. Basically a curiour of messages. Nice gig if you can get it. And if he wasn't a coke head he probably would have gotten away with it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Serious answer ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:58PM

Online Marketing + programming is the way to make good coin. You have to be good at the marketing part, the programming part you just have to be good enough to talk to devs and make sure they are on the right path. Checkout the spammers on FFXU, they are all doing SEO, they could care less if people see it or not.


Step 1 - Read every entry here - https://ahrefs.com/blog/

Step 2 - Think of a half decent idea/service to sell. Don't over think it, it does not have to be unique, I much prefer service only. Dealing with products is a PITA.

Step 3 - Rank and bank


If you're really good and can rank for things like "pay day loans" you can easily make $2k - $5k / day

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: systems engineer ()
Date: October 15, 2020 08:07PM

Capt Crunch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> systems engineer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Most systems engineers make over $200k
>
> Only if they have advanced degrees and a top
> secret clearance. My software engineers make
> between $90-$140,000.

Just a MS should be fine. A clearance would obviously help. Clearances aren't really that hard to get Unless you're a serial wife beater or drunkard, have sketchy foreign connections, or tons of unaddressed financial issues.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Ice cubes to eskimos ()
Date: October 15, 2020 08:22PM

Sales, but you’ll work your ass off like someone else said. I make that selling high end remodeling work, but average 55hrs or so a week.

Less time left over to spend it all I guess

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Cdgf ()
Date: October 15, 2020 08:43PM

Capt Crunch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> systems engineer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Most systems engineers make over $200k
>
> Only if they have advanced degrees and a top
> secret clearance. My software engineers make
> between $90-$140,000.


Most software engineers are getting on average around $75-90k. Anything above $120k is an outlier. If you want to make money in tech for minimal work, Information systems or cloud computing pays better. Sales and marketing guys make the most.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Trying 2 get paid ()
Date: October 15, 2020 08:51PM

NP6YD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying 2 get paid Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I’m 30, so medical school to be a doctor is
> out
> > too much time & schooling. I’m too old for
> > software engineering/development, don’t like
> it
> > and the dot heads have a monopoly on all the
> tech
> > jobs. Too old for law school and lawyer market
> is
> > saturated.
>
>
> If you're too lazy to do the work to became a
> doctor (and I kinda doubt you have the brains for
> it anyway) you're too lazy to make $200K a year.
> For one example, some real estate agents make more
> than $200k a year, but they work their fucking
> asses off. Some plumbers make $200k a year, but
> they work their fucking asses off. Lots of sales
> guys make $200k a year, but....
>
> You should get that by now.


I don’t mind working even 60 hours a day. I’m just trying to find something that’s easy to pick up and pays fairly quickly after starting. Med school requires a high investment in time and money. It’s not an optimum way to get on track to make money. Same with pretty much anything involving computers and whatever you learn, will change in 2-3 years. E-comm and affiliate marketing is looking like the way to go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Serious answer ()
Date: October 15, 2020 08:53PM

E-comm and affiliate
> marketing is looking like the way to go.


Yup.

E-comm, affiliate marketing is mostly shit. You don't want to deal with asshole companies who will try to fuck you over at any chance you get.

I've had tens of thousands in leads taken away from me over B.S ToS violations, very common practice. Affiliate marketing companies are shit, sell or resell your own service/product.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: compare hourly rates ()
Date: October 15, 2020 09:13PM

Cdgf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Capt Crunch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > systems engineer Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Most systems engineers make over $200k
> >
> > Only if they have advanced degrees and a top
> > secret clearance. My software engineers make
> > between $90-$140,000.
>
>
> Most software engineers are getting on average
> around $75-90k. Anything above $120k is an
> outlier. If you want to make money in tech for
> minimal work, Information systems or cloud
> computing pays better. Sales and marketing guys
> make the most.

Sales will usually make the most, and often the systems engineers in sales net comparable amounts but often with more stability.

Systems Engineering is a very broad term. Setting aside those systems engineers with sales bonus, there are still plenty who make more than $200k (and by the way only a minority are actually writing code all day). Just look up the labor rates on a given government contract, which are public information. If the billing rate is $300 - $350 per hour you should be in right neighborhood. If the contract allows for overtime billing and you work an extra 10 hours/week, say hello to $300,000. That said, you will do even better by working as a subcontractor under your own LLC, even if you are the only employee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Captn Crunch ()
Date: October 15, 2020 09:43PM

compare hourly rates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cdgf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Capt Crunch Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > systems engineer Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Most systems engineers make over $200k
> > >
> > > Only if they have advanced degrees and a top
> > > secret clearance. My software engineers make
> > > between $90-$140,000.
> >
> >
> > Most software engineers are getting on average
> > around $75-90k. Anything above $120k is an
> > outlier. If you want to make money in tech for
> > minimal work, Information systems or cloud
> > computing pays better. Sales and marketing guys
> > make the most.
>
> Sales will usually make the most, and often the
> systems engineers in sales net comparable amounts
> but often with more stability.
>
> Systems Engineering is a very broad term. Setting
> aside those systems engineers with sales bonus,
> there are still plenty who make more than $200k
> (and by the way only a minority are actually
> writing code all day). Just look up the labor
> rates on a given government contract, which are
> public information. If the billing rate is $300 -
> $350 per hour you should be in right neighborhood.
> If the contract allows for overtime billing and
> you work an extra 10 hours/week, say hello to
> $300,000. That said, you will do even better by
> working as a subcontractor under your own LLC,
> even if you are the only employee.

You can only work as subcontractor and make $300 an hour if you have a secret clearance, major connections and years of experience.

My suggestion is get into HVAC. Buy a van and get certified so you can buy AC equipment. Once you learn about 10 different systems you'll be set. Average housecall is about $200 in two hours. Do the math and you'll be making $600 A DAY with some marketing and word of mouth. In the summer around NOVA when HVAC systems fail there is 3 week backlog for service.

Forget coding HVAC and you pick what days you want to drink you're ass off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Captn Crunch ()
Date: October 15, 2020 09:49PM

$300 - $350 per hour is on gov contracts with businesses like Boeing, BAE, Northop.

It's that high because the contracts have overhead, marketing and rent figured in.

Good luck as an independent contractor getting $300-$350. Tops you'll be making $120 an hour and maybe billable 20 hours a month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: EYVWX ()
Date: October 15, 2020 10:01PM

Captn Crunch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> compare hourly rates Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cdgf Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Capt Crunch Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > systems engineer Wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > >
> > > > -----
> > > > > Most systems engineers make over $200k
> > > >
> > > > Only if they have advanced degrees and a
> top
> > > > secret clearance. My software engineers
> make
> > > > between $90-$140,000.
> > >
> > >
> > > Most software engineers are getting on
> average
> > > around $75-90k. Anything above $120k is an
> > > outlier. If you want to make money in tech
> for
> > > minimal work, Information systems or cloud
> > > computing pays better. Sales and marketing
> guys
> > > make the most.
> >
> > Sales will usually make the most, and often the
> > systems engineers in sales net comparable
> amounts
> > but often with more stability.
> >
> > Systems Engineering is a very broad term.
> Setting
> > aside those systems engineers with sales bonus,
> > there are still plenty who make more than $200k
> > (and by the way only a minority are actually
> > writing code all day). Just look up the labor
> > rates on a given government contract, which are
> > public information. If the billing rate is $300
> -
> > $350 per hour you should be in right
> neighborhood.
> > If the contract allows for overtime billing
> and
> > you work an extra 10 hours/week, say hello to
> > $300,000. That said, you will do even better
> by
> > working as a subcontractor under your own LLC,
> > even if you are the only employee.
>
> You can only work as subcontractor and make $300
> an hour if you have a secret clearance, major
> connections and years of experience.

You don't need "major" (or any) connections -- but even so it's easy to make connections.

A clearance is not that hard to come by, just search for jobs that specify "eligibility" for a clearance.

The time to reach mid-level pay grades for most jobs can be as little as 3 or 5 years.

The key to moving up is to parlay any knowledge and experience you have already accumulated. For example a regular HVAC mechanic can transform themselves into a SCADA systems expert. All the experience you got working on commercial HVAC systems carries forward to your total, et voila, you're making twice as much.

Several commercial construction and utility contractors will sponsor clearances. Once you are cleared, do drywall or electrical work while taking a couple technology classes. Then change jobs. I know a couple people who went from installing drywall and checking ID cards to working as engineers/analysts on tech contracts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: LLC to the bank ()
Date: October 15, 2020 10:23PM

Captn Crunch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $300 - $350 per hour is on gov contracts with
> businesses like Boeing, BAE, Northop.
>
> It's that high because the contracts have
> overhead, marketing and rent figured in.
>
> Good luck as an independent contractor getting
> $300-$350. Tops you'll be making $120 an hour and
> maybe billable 20 hours a month.

Those prime contractors like Boeing, BAE, Northrup Grumman, etc. always have unfilled positions, and most of them will sign up just about anyone (any qualified company) as a subcontractor in hopes of filling those positions. Theoretically the primes should try to fill the higher billing positions with their own people, but that does not always happen, especially if they don't have a qualified candidate. There's also the need to check boxes for small business, woman-owned, minority-owned, etc. subcontractors

The prime is only going to skim 5%-10% off the billing rate. Contract rates are public info and nobody is going to accept $120/hr for work the government is paying $300/hr for. A situation like that would create very bad PR for the company and the government, if not violate some acquisition laws.

There is a key distinction between being an "independent contractor" and being a sole employee of your own LLC. It literally takes less than an hour to set up an LLC. If you happen to be married to a black, female, disabled veteran, eskimo, designate her as the owner of your LLC and thank her very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: The reason why ()
Date: October 15, 2020 10:59PM

idiot pm says what ? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> over 20 years companies have been selling systems
> that allow business users to develop their own
> software
>
> always fails in the end and they need true
> developers to do the work

There is an old saying about the legal community "If it wasn't for lawyers, we wouldn't need them." Software development works on the same principle. By constantly changing the systems developers insure an ongoing need to replace equipment and to re-do programing.

The programs we are using in our business today mostly do the same things as programs we were using in the days of DOS or early versions of Windows. The DOS programs worked on computers with slower speeds and less memory and required less storage space. Yet those DOS programs worked just as good for us as the programs we are using today. We didn't stop using those programs because they didn't work. We stopped using them because they didn't work on our newer computers with our newer operating systems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Rank and Bank ()
Date: October 15, 2020 11:10PM

Learning to code is a waste of time, you can pay a team of Indians $10k to make a SaaS site.

Programmers are a dime a dozen, most don't make much more than $100k. I agree with the HVAC route if computers aren't your thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: ykxhd ()
Date: October 16, 2020 03:09AM

Sign up for Soros payments to Antifa members for rioting and general mayhem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m trying to make over $200k a year but can’t figure out how
Posted by: Mark Ultra ()
Date: October 17, 2020 03:46PM

You know, I think that it is impossible to be too old for software development, trust me. For example, my brother is not too young and he is working as a developer in a pretty famous company. It is called Salesforce, did you hear about it? You can check the average salary for salesforce developer in usa if you want. I think that it could be quite interesting for you.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **     **  ********  **     **  ********  
 **     **   **   **      **     **     **  **     ** 
 **     **    ** **       **     **     **  **     ** 
 **     **     ***        **     **     **  **     ** 
  **   **     ** **       **      **   **   **     ** 
   ** **     **   **      **       ** **    **     ** 
    ***     **     **     **        ***     ********  
This forum powered by Phorum.