HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Not me... ()
Date: September 15, 2020 10:23AM

My kid was using my car and managed to get a Fairfax city red light camera ticket. Since I own the car it was mailed to me. There’s no way to “assign” it to another driver. The only close option is to notarize a statement saying I wasn’t driving and mail it back. Anyone dealt with this before? And yes I know it’s “just a civil ticket” but regardless don’t want it on my name and I wasn’t driving.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Suck It Up, Buttercup! ()
Date: September 15, 2020 10:32AM

There are no points attached to it, so fuck off and make your kid pay for it!
Lessen learned, for both of you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: lizzie ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:03AM

Just have him or her pay for it.

Was it the one on pickett road or near North Street? The one on pickett is fucked up because if you're making that turn and don't come to a complete stop before turning on red it'll get you. I watched five people get flashed on in one sitting on my way to work a few years back.

It doesn't make your insurance go up and it won't show up anywhere unless it keeps happening. Should be just $50 and you're able to see exactly what happened on video via a link they should have sent you.

#stillwinning

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Kid Pays It ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:23AM

Why fight? It's just a non-sense ticket. Better off paying it since it is evidence your car ran the light. You could hire a lawyer and have the camera tested but you'll spend more time and money fighting for nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Fairfax City Ripoff ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:23AM

I never turn right on red at Pickett Road and Main Street. That ridiculous red light camera is like a Christmas tree and it has been malfunctioning for years.

Talk about a government shake down!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: lizzie ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:39AM

Fairfax City Ripoff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never turn right on red at Pickett Road and Main
> Street. That ridiculous red light camera is like
> a Christmas tree

LMFAO! Perfect description! That is fucking hilarious. But yeah wow. I don't miss that shit. Where I am now there's like one traffic light in the entire town..

.. literally!

#stillwinning

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Do nothing ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:53AM

Not me... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My kid was using my car and managed to get a
> Fairfax city red light camera ticket. Since I own
> the car it was mailed to me. There’s no way to
> “assign” it to another driver. The only close
> option is to notarize a statement saying I
> wasn’t driving and mail it back. Anyone dealt
> with this before? And yes I know it’s “just a
> civil ticket” but regardless don’t want it on
> my name and I wasn’t driving.

Answer for Virginia only:

Dont do anything. Certainly do not contact Fairfax, DMV or the vendor who allegedly recorded the alleged traffic violation. Throw the letter away. When they send you another dont even open it - throw it away. Ill spare you the unconstitutionality of camera traffic enforcement and cut to the chase - in Virginia you must be served with a traffic violation by an official of enforcement. Someone must hand you the citation in person. Mail wont cut it. For one they cannot prove you ever received the mail (unless you stupidly contact them).

I have received 3 of these in the last 5 years. I paid one from Alexandria (their letter was pretty threatening) but the ones from Fairfax I chucked and after one follow-up letter each never heard from them again. And yes I had to tell my concerned spouse it was ok - I mean they have pictures of your plate and everything. Forget it. They cannot serve you by mail. Make them send it to the sheriff to deliver if they want your money that bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Constitution Breather ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:58AM

Kid Pays It Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why fight? It's just a non-sense ticket. Better
> off paying it since it is evidence your car ran
> the light. You could hire a lawyer and have the
> camera tested but you'll spend more time and money
> fighting for nothing.


1. Chain of custody of the 'evidence'
2. Right to face your accuser
3. Presumption of innocence
4. Commonwealth requires you are served in person
5. Validity of evidence by 3rd party
6. Status of equipment and operation of same

There are lots of reasons the citation should be challenged and no reason whatsoever to respond to a mailed citation based on evidence from a third party. None. If they want your money they will send the sheriff to your door. Then, and only then, pay or challenge the ticket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: NOVAisBETTER ()
Date: September 15, 2020 12:06PM

You Pay the ticket for your son or you have him pay it. That's that BROKIE!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Great Idea.. ()
Date: September 15, 2020 12:13PM

Constitution Breather Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kid Pays It Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why fight? It's just a non-sense ticket.
> Better
> > off paying it since it is evidence your car ran
> > the light. You could hire a lawyer and have
> the
> > camera tested but you'll spend more time and
> money
> > fighting for nothing.
>
>
> 1. Chain of custody of the 'evidence'
> 2. Right to face your accuser
> 3. Presumption of innocence
> 4. Commonwealth requires you are served in person
> 5. Validity of evidence by 3rd party
> 6. Status of equipment and operation of same
>
> There are lots of reasons the citation should be
> challenged and no reason whatsoever to respond to
> a mailed citation based on evidence from a third
> party. None. If they want your money they will
> send the sheriff to your door. Then, and only
> then, pay or challenge the ticket.

In the meantime your license may be suspended for failure to pay and the ticket will go to debt collector against your credit history. But once the sheriff serves you with a warrant and after the ticket goes to a debt collection agency you can try to get all that figured out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Jeep CJ ()
Date: September 15, 2020 12:37PM

Suck It Up, Buttercup! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are no points attached to it, so fuck off
> and make your kid pay for it!
> Lessen learned, for both of you!

^^ This, (minus FU comment) above. Discipline your kid, make it a teaching moment, pay the fine and move on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Wrong again ()
Date: September 15, 2020 01:16PM

Great Idea.. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Constitution Breather Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Kid Pays It Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Why fight? It's just a non-sense ticket.
> > Better
> > > off paying it since it is evidence your car
> ran
> > > the light. You could hire a lawyer and have
> > the
> > > camera tested but you'll spend more time and
> > money
> > > fighting for nothing.
> >
> >
> > 1. Chain of custody of the 'evidence'
> > 2. Right to face your accuser
> > 3. Presumption of innocence
> > 4. Commonwealth requires you are served in
> person
> > 5. Validity of evidence by 3rd party
> > 6. Status of equipment and operation of same
> >
> > There are lots of reasons the citation should
> be
> > challenged and no reason whatsoever to respond
> to
> > a mailed citation based on evidence from a
> third
> > party. None. If they want your money they
> will
> > send the sheriff to your door. Then, and only
> > then, pay or challenge the ticket.
>
> In the meantime your license may be suspended for
> failure to pay and the ticket will go to debt
> collector against your credit history. But once
> the sheriff serves you with a warrant and after
> the ticket goes to a debt collection agency you
> can try to get all that figured out.

Totally False. They cannot even record the citation on your record without serving it to you - mail is not service of the citation. Its junk mail. How could they even prove your received or read the mail? Answer that and Ill capitulate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: Duhhhj ()
Date: September 15, 2020 07:42PM

Why not just fill out the part where you say you weren’t the one driving?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: do nothing ()
Date: September 15, 2020 08:05PM

Duhhhj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not just fill out the part where you say you
> weren’t the one driving?

VA law states that the owner of the car is responsible if no driver can be identified. By responding you acknowledge receipt of the citation - no you cannot ignore the citation. Just ignore it they cannot enforce a red light citation that has not been served to the owner of the car. Period.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: last I checked ()
Date: September 15, 2020 08:39PM

if the ticket was given by a camera then the ticket is not enforceable by state law, which means you can ignore it

something to do with being able to confront your accuser in a court of law,
obviously a camera can't do that

but, it's been a few years since I got one so you might want to double check

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: dangerous Law Advice ()
Date: September 15, 2020 08:52PM

Wrong again Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great Idea.. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Constitution Breather Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Kid Pays It Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Why fight? It's just a non-sense ticket.
> > > Better
> > > > off paying it since it is evidence your car
> > ran
> > > > the light. You could hire a lawyer and
> have
> > > the
> > > > camera tested but you'll spend more time
> and
> > > money
> > > > fighting for nothing.
> > >
> > >
> > > 1. Chain of custody of the 'evidence'
> > > 2. Right to face your accuser
> > > 3. Presumption of innocence
> > > 4. Commonwealth requires you are served in
> > person
> > > 5. Validity of evidence by 3rd party
> > > 6. Status of equipment and operation of same
> > >
> > > There are lots of reasons the citation should
> > be
> > > challenged and no reason whatsoever to
> respond
> > to
> > > a mailed citation based on evidence from a
> > third
> > > party. None. If they want your money they
> > will
> > > send the sheriff to your door. Then, and
> only
> > > then, pay or challenge the ticket.
> >
> > In the meantime your license may be suspended
> for
> > failure to pay and the ticket will go to debt
> > collector against your credit history. But
> once
> > the sheriff serves you with a warrant and after
> > the ticket goes to a debt collection agency you
> > can try to get all that figured out.
>
> Totally False. They cannot even record the
> citation on your record without serving it to you
> - mail is not service of the citation. Its junk
> mail. How could they even prove your received or
> read the mail? Answer that and Ill capitulate.

I bet you tell people Income Tax is illegal too.



My wife got a photo speeding ticket in my car. I went to the court in person and the clerk saw I was not the one in the picture and the whole thing was dropped instead of transferring it to her.
However, that is different from just ignoring it. An hour out of the work day and it over and done.

Don't take anything anyone says on FFXU on face value.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red light camera ticket - wasn’t driving
Posted by: The fix is in ()
Date: September 15, 2020 10:24PM

I knew someone who challenged an Arlington County school bus citation that was done this way. He argued that when he started passing the bus there were no lights flashing. The tape showed that his car was already more than half way past the bus when the tape started. The response was "Guess there must have been a delay in starting the tape." dangerous Law Advice's experience was the exception, not the rule. Contest it and you will lose, especially in Fairfax City and Arlington. These camera tickets are done for revenue production, not safety.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **         **     **  ********  **     **  **      ** 
 **    **    **   **   **         **   **   **  **  ** 
 **    **     ** **    **          ** **    **  **  ** 
 **    **      ***     ******       ***     **  **  ** 
 *********    ** **    **          ** **    **  **  ** 
       **    **   **   **         **   **   **  **  ** 
       **   **     **  ********  **     **   ***  ***  
This forum powered by Phorum.