HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Question j ()
Date: June 29, 2020 12:40PM

What can you do with N BS degree in art in VCU?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: gotta have the fire ()
Date: June 29, 2020 12:44PM

VCU has an excellent art and performing arts program. Employment as a graphic artist, advertising, design. I know some very successful people who have undergrad degrees in art. That said our neighbors daughter was a professional pet sitter at age 30 with a degree in art from VCU.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: artsy ()
Date: June 29, 2020 12:44PM

We employee art majors where I work (defense contractor), They're usually designing all the graphics and layout for proposals, corporate literature, and trade show/conference events, and they do all the graphics for our website and websites we design for customers. There's definitely opportunity out there for them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: DIA guy ()
Date: June 29, 2020 12:53PM

I have known several case officers at various three letter agencies who had art backgrounds and some with MFAs. My brother in law is an art major and runs a successful fine arts appraisal service in NYC. There’s certainly opportunity for arts majors but if we’re being honest, you’d best discourage your kids from majoring in that if they profess an interest in that field.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: aussies common sense ()
Date: June 29, 2020 01:17PM

australia is raising fees on liberal arts to lower fees on stem

if you are going to waste you life by majoring in what should be a minor, you should pay for those who contribute to society

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: DCDVY ()
Date: June 29, 2020 01:22PM

There's nothing wrong with being an art major if you actually have talent. Plenty of people make a good living with their art. It can be commercial, industrial, or other things. No need to sneer at people with talents in areas other than sales, which is probably what the OP does.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Dingo ()
Date: June 29, 2020 01:41PM

aussies common sense Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> australia is raising fees on liberal arts to lower
> fees on stem
>
> if you are going to waste you life by majoring in
> what should be a minor, you should pay for those
> who contribute to society


Why is there this insistence on trying to shame people for not getting in to STEM? Not everyone can not should become an engineer or software developer or whatever. Trying to excel in a field you have no passion for or aptitude for is bad for the individual and society. I personally think business is a better field to Shepard people into because certain aspects of it are tangentially related to lib arts and it’s interesting and functional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: meet girls ()
Date: June 29, 2020 03:18PM

or guys, nice major for a playboy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: woieke ()
Date: June 29, 2020 03:56PM

Most successful person I know, now a millionaire and Senior VP of a multi billion dollar company has an undergrad in Drama from ODU - Great guy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Redneck Billy Bob news ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:04PM

woieke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most successful person I know, now a millionaire
> and Senior VP of a multi billion dollar company
> has an undergrad in Drama from ODU - Great guy

Yes, but that's ODU. ODU has reputation for taking losers and somehow turning them into successful business owners. I know a couple of potheads who went to ODU and are now they are living large with boats, mansions and there own companies.

It's what happens after college that makes the difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: actor ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:06PM

Redneck Billy Bob news Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> woieke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Most successful person I know, now a
> millionaire
> > and Senior VP of a multi billion dollar company
> > has an undergrad in Drama from ODU - Great guy
>
> Yes, but that's ODU. ODU has reputation for
> taking losers and somehow turning them into
> successful business owners. I know a couple of
> potheads who went to ODU and are now they are
> living large with boats, mansions and there own
> companies.
>
> It's what happens after college that makes the
> difference.

maybe, he did go back to UVA to get an MBA. Point being his undergraduate was in Drama

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Long Hours and Hard Work ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:15PM

actor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Redneck Billy Bob news Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > woieke Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Most successful person I know, now a
> > millionaire
> > > and Senior VP of a multi billion dollar
> company
> > > has an undergrad in Drama from ODU - Great
> guy
> >
> > Yes, but that's ODU. ODU has reputation for
> > taking losers and somehow turning them into
> > successful business owners. I know a couple of
> > potheads who went to ODU and are now they are
> > living large with boats, mansions and there own
> > companies.
> >
> > It's what happens after college that makes the
> > difference.
>
> maybe, he did go back to UVA to get an MBA. Point
> being his undergraduate was in Drama

Yes, actually that is the case of one pothead from ODU. Not sure where, but he did end up completing a PhD in engineering. Usually, the types from ODU are the types that just don't play by the book and do their own independent thing.

If a person has enough drive and will work hard they can be successful with any degree. Just have to put in long hours.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Artie Fartsie ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:18PM

Some companies don't car what the college degree is in. They just want "a college degree." I think to do any teaching in Fairfax County you have to have a college from an accredited college. The degree doesn't have to be in what you are teaching.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Libs R Hitler. ()
Date: June 29, 2020 06:00PM

Question j Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What can you do with N BS degree in art in VCU?


Finish college after being brainwashed by libtarded professors who have never worked a day in their lives telling you that the greatest country in the world, the USA, hates you means you'll end up unemployed, blaming others for your failures at life and joining the riots in all the democrat cities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: Art School Failure ()
Date: June 29, 2020 06:13PM

Better yet perhaps William Moreno can tell us what is the point of spending ten years in art school, on and off, only to fail out?
Attachments:
16508286_251602345263377_5139617109310105861_n.jpg
Moreno failed art school.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the point of an art major at VCU?
Posted by: it's such HORRIBLE art..... ()
Date: June 29, 2020 06:18PM

My niece is in middle school, and I had to go pick her up one day. There was a display of some of the best work the kiddoes had churned out in their art classes, and it was far and away superior to anything from miz. These are preteens, who for the most part are just doing this as an elective! miz needed to major in something he was actually good at!

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********   **    **  ********   **     **  **     ** 
 **     **   **  **   **     **  ***   ***  ***   *** 
 **     **    ****    **     **  **** ****  **** **** 
 **     **     **     ********   ** *** **  ** *** ** 
 **     **     **     **     **  **     **  **     ** 
 **     **     **     **     **  **     **  **     ** 
 ********      **     ********   **     **  **     ** 
This forum powered by Phorum.