HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Corona Math
Posted by: Rush aint happy ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:12PM

Caught a little of Limbaugh's show today. He is complaining abut the hit to the economy from the shutdown. Normally, I don't pay much attention to him, but he got me thinking, and I think he makes a valid point, if for all the wrong reasons.

Imagine you are Trump. There is a new disease going around, but you don't know much about it. You are to meet with the disease experts in fifteen minutes, and you know they are going they are to recommend shutting the economy down. But you don't know how many deaths are projected, and how many lives will be saved by shutting it down. The economy will tank if you shut down, and your reelection depends on you making the right decision.

Obviously, you would not shut down to save 1000 lives or even 10,000. But I think most people would at 10,000,000.

If you were Trump, where would you draw the line?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corona Math
Posted by: Big numbers ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:24PM

You do not shut the country down and bring our economy to a standstill for 10,000 lives. Hell I don't think I'd do it for 100,000. Now, if we are certain it will get into the millions, ya shut her down. There were over 15,000 homicides in 2018. There are 200 overdoses nationwide every day. People fucking die all the time in this country and none of the reasons has ever had this reaction, regardless of numbers.

Posted by: 1346 ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:51PM

The problem is that the leader can't know how many lives he's saving when he has to make the call. Suppose it is the 1300s. You are the emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire. You can choose to shut down seaboard trade between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean based on a rumor of disease appearing in the Russian Steppes, but that would severely affect the economy on which your struggling empire depends. Or you can let business continue on as usual. The latter course was chosen and 1/4 of Europe was killed.

Posted by: unknown unknown ()
Date: April 02, 2020 05:37PM

Shutting down the economy may save lives or cost lives.

Unemployment kills.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.