HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Software Activist Richard Stallman Resigns from MIT over Defense of Jeffrey Epstein
Posted by: do you GNU ? ()
Date: September 20, 2019 04:35PM

Free-Software-guru-Richard-Stallman-640x

First you should note that Microsoft and Google ran allot of attack ads on this individual as "crazy stallman" during the "linux wars" that google/microsoft funded and ran (because free shit was better than their corporate theft softwares that locked up, had viruses, etc), and hostile foreigners have tried to control free software (ie, by paying to become "managers" of ubuntu)

You should then note Stallman's life is about computer software - you would guess he has NO leanings to any war party that would "unsettle a quit office life", any other party but a global coding party, but opinions on daily events like anyone else.

He is a (US government employee, teacher) writing free software and promotes software's algorithmic use "for legally good uses" (see GPL license it does not say terrorism or illegal use "is compliant with terms of agreement") - he does not promote "linux over freeBSD" or any other political thing. he does promote that contributed software stay free (not be a prisoner of software companies hoarding code and deleting it from the public servers, not tampering with the code to damage the "original code", and so on).

His work was/is very extensive and essential still in (ie, google who uses his software), writing highly complex symbolic OS code that has a low O runtime and no bugs. Modeled after Unix by AT&T but not copying their work, significantly different as laws required it to be (at that time) for free distribution.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/09/17/software-activist-richard-stallman-resigns-from-mit-over-defense-of-jeffrey-epstein/

The FSF foundation website has quickly posted news "he's gone, he stepped down"

Af Jeanne Rasata — Published on 11/03 2010 10:39 President and founder of the Free Software Foundation Richard Stallman has an extensive travel schedule and frequently gives talks about free software all over the world.

https://stallman.org

Richard Stallman has been very popular and asked to attend conferences all over the world.

operates:

http://www.savannah.gnu.org

http://www.gnu.org

breitbart claims he has resigned from MIT, GNU, and FSF (a non-profit organization)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

https://www.csail.mit.edu/person/richard-stallman

One news articles shows Stallman was working UNDER a hindu at MIT (and a funny looking building), and that he may have been asked to leave after sending a political email. but that's not the news anyone has repeated so it can't be true.

--------------------------
let's try again - using anything EXCEPT the washington post version !

Computer scientist and open software advocate Richard Stallman said he has resigned from his position as a visiting scientist at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL)

In his MIT CSAIL resignation, also posted to his personal blog:

Stallman wrote: “To the MIT Community, I am resigning effective immediately from my position in CSAIL at MIT. I am doing this due to pressure on MIT and me over a series of misunderstandings.”

AH - THAT'S DIFFERENT FROM RESIGNING DUE TO EPSTEIN

and it COULD might mean MIT collegues were pressuring him to resign or be fired for "anti-democrat sentiment"

it's a Testimony to USA that Stallman was not imprisoned for being an "off the wall" person who bucked the very powerful and came off as crazy to many

easily in another world he could have been ruled crazy by democrats and stuffed in some (holding area) because he had riled against authority: easily

but not in USA, in USA Stallman got a run and it has been a great one

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Software Activist Richard Stallman Resigns from MIT over Defense of Jeffrey Epstein
Posted by: r4trgtefrew ()
Date: September 20, 2019 05:38PM

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/16/computer-scientist-richard-stallman-who-defended-jeffrey-epstein-resigns-from-mit-csail-and-the-free-software-foundation/

MIT "media lab president" Joi Ito, resigned last week and MIT ordered an investigation into the Media Lab’s ties to Epstein, who was found dead in his jail cell last month while awaiting federal trial on sex trafficking charges.

As part of its preliminary findings, MIT (president EE/CS) Rafael Reif admitted that the law firm conducting the investigation had uncovered a letter he wrote to thank Epstein for a donation in 2012

THE RAPIDITY OF WHICH STALLMAN WAS EJECTED AND RESIGNED FROM FSF AND GNU IS VERY SUSPICIOUS

also the democrat version of the news is that the asian "college president of USA's technology", and the hindu vice president caused Stallman, who had zero to do with it, to immediately resign.

Stallman’s emails were first made public last week by mechanical engineer and MIT alum Selam Jie Gano a minority rights advocate and "minority sentiment cop" at MIT if i may make a stunning guess

This doesn't explain why GNU and FSF colleugues so quickly reported Stallman had given up his keys, since they are not "owned by MIT".

Stallman likes politics but we see he did NOT wish to participate in a SERIES of political backstabbing plays at MIT, instead, he WALKED.

And perhaps he was experiencing the same at MIT.

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science curriculum , MIT (president EE/CS) Rafael Reif , is running a program with allot of lower level science courses (ie, not the harder ones) and allot of tertiary material - with many medical oriented courses (cp, free stuff or sent to china, not AT&T confidential projects?)

6.994 Professional Perspective I
Prereq: None
G (Fall, IAP, Spring, Summer)
0-0-1 units

You are hardly going to see that in a Texas (Intel employee prospective) college. You would see hard core EE wiring with labs focusing on building video cards involving difficult engineering.

6.943[J] How to Make (Almost) Anything
Same subject as 4.140[J], MAS.863[J]
Prereq: Permission of instructor
G (Fall)
3-9-6 units

6.907[J] Entrepreneurship in Engineering
Same subject as 2.913[J]
Subject meets with 6.933
Prereq: None
U (Spring)
4-0-8 units

6.894-6.896 Advanced Topics in Graphics and Human-Computer Interfaces
G (Fall, Spring)
Not offered regularly; consult department
3-0-9 units
Can be repeated for credit.

(this is usually an entry level programming topic, not a graduate topic IMHO)

6.875[J] Cryptography and Cryptanalysis
Same subject as 18.425[J]
Prereq: 6.046[J]
G (Fall)
3-0-9 units

6.872[J] Biomedical Computing
Same subject as HST.950[J]
Prereq: 6.034, 6.036, or permission of instructor
Acad Year 2019-2020: Not offered
Acad Year 2020-2021: G (Fall)
3-0-9 units

Analyzes computational needs of clinical medicine, reviews systems and approaches that have been used to support those needs,

(there are many of these teriary "medical oriented" courses including EE low level medical device courses)

MIT is not know to be a school of medicine per say, BTW

6.867 Machine Learning
Prereq: 18.06 and (6.041B or 18.600)
G (Fall)
3-0-9 units

(also a low level course)

6.809[J] Interactive Music Systems
Same subject as 21M.385[J]
Prereq: (6.009 and 21M.301) or permission of instructor
U (Fall, Spring)
3-0-9 units. HASS-A

6.807 Computational Fabrication
Prereq: 6.837 or permission of instructor
U (Fall)
3-0-9 units

(informational but without the hard core classes - meaningless)

6.805[J] Foundations of Information Policy
Same subject as STS.085[J]
Subject meets with STS.487
U (Fall)
3-0-9 units. HASS-S

(i was taught that fervently in CIT 101, i mean....)

6.802[J] Computational Systems Biology: Deep Learning in the Life Sciences
Same subject as 20.390[J]
Subject meets with 6.874[J], 20.490, HST.506[J]
Prereq: (7.05 and (6.0002 or 6.01)) or permission of instructor
U (Spring)
3-0-9 units

as i promised, more of these "vague classes" exists, many more

http://catalog.mit.edu/subjects/6/

seeing the curriculum and that Stallman isn't teaching any classes (that i know of)

i can see that department has more ... "things they'd like to hide" than just epstein comments, IMHO
<?h2>

6.776 High Speed Communication Circuits
Prereq: 6.301
G (Fall)
3-3-6 units

DOA information, it's all pantented you'd need very high level courses BEFORE worrying about such trivia (or on the other hand, schematic reading is a low level EE course infact some colleges just demand you know it for the EE course and don't hardly clue you in in the book)

6.735, 6.736 Advanced Topics in Materials, Devices, and Nanotechnology
G (Fall, Spring)
Not offered regularly; consult department
3-0-9 units
Can be repeated for credit.

topics? are you going to make one or not. you'll need a post-doctoral degree and allot of money to give it an honest run down.

6.728 Applied Quantum and Statistical Physics
Prereq: 6.003 and 18.06
G (Fall)
4-0-8 units

this is a low level introductory course

the upper courses are far more difficult

6.690 Introduction to Electric Power Systems
Subject meets with 6.061
Prereq: 6.002 and 6.013
Acad Year 2020-2021: G (Spring)
3-0-9 units

another walkthrough. power supplies are patented out the wazoo and they are COMPLICATED (the good ones are) or extremely simple a kid can make one (copying the buck converter design by Texas Instruments)

6.557[J] Bio Foo Feedback Systems
Same subject as 2.18[J]
Subject meets with 2.180[J], 6.027[J]
Prereq: Biology (GIR), 18.03, or permission of instructor
3-0-9 units

6.555[J] Biomedical Signal and Image Processing
Same subject as 16.456[J], HST.582[J]
Subject meets with 6.026[J], HST.482[J]
Prereq: (6.041 and (2.004, 6.003, 16.002, or 18.085)) or permission of instructor
G (Spring)
3-3-6 units

FROM WHAT MEDICAL INSTRUMENT? they are all different work on different principles entirely, and there absolutely is no "standard format"

6.525[J] Medical Device Design
Same subject as 2.75[J], HST.552[J]
Subject meets with 2.750[J], 6.025[J]
Prereq: 2.008, 6.101, 6.111, 6.115, 22.071, or permission of instructor
G (Fall)
3-0-9 units

without a medical degree or high level degree? i think you better take more courses before deciding that is your goal.

6.524[J] Molecular, Cellular, and Tissue Biomechanics
Same subject as 2.798[J], 3.971[J], 10.537[J], 20.410[J]
Prereq: Biology (GIR) and (2.002, 2.006, 6.013, 10.301, or 10.302)
3-0-9 units

as i said, allot of pseudo-medical courses in the EE/CS curriculum - very strange for MIT (Michigan Institute of Technology, not medical institute of technology)

6.453 Quantum Optical Communication
Prereq: 6.011 and 18.06
3-0-9 units

the curriculum is missing courese needed for "real use" of this course, pde shrod. the students would be getting fed equations they would have no chance of "re-modeling" or understanding beyond that which they are told to use a given eq. for a given purpose. it discusses many topics of Quantum optics (noting AT&T already wired the nation with optical fiber, so it's it's a well known topic). but without advanced quantum pde courses the discussions cannot be utilized. the curriculum avoids advanced pde study - if curriculum page is correct. you would be finding the phase but have no idea what equations are responsible for the equations you are told to use (which is what is done in lower level Q.P. courses). you aren't there until you are really "there".

6.302 Feedback System Design
Subject meets with 6.320
Prereq: Physics II (GIR) and (2.087 or 18.03)
U (Spring)
4-4-4 units

6.262 Discrete Stochastic Processes
Prereq: 6.431 or 18.204
G (Spring)
4-0-8 units

this is not a full math course, it reviews only a few topics of a larger normal math course

6.244[J] Graphical Models: A Geometric, Algebraic, and Combinatorial Perspective
Same subject as IDS.136[J]
Prereq: 6.431 and 18.06
3-0-9 units

this course (as many) is tertiary: it describes a few select topics in (algorithms) and then applies them to "investigating geometry" using them - which is .... not usual. usual is you are taught topics (such as advanced algorithms) and applications are something you are assume to be able to do yourself

another word would be "a contrivance", a contrived course

http://catalog.mit.edu/subjects/6/

Re: Software Activist Richard Stallman Resigns from MIT over Defense of Jeffrey Epstein
Posted by: rfggbrber ()
Date: September 20, 2019 05:39PM

THE RAPIDITY OF WHICH STALLMAN WAS EJECTED AND RESIGNED FROM FSF AND GNU IS VERY SUSPICIOUS

Richard Stallman is a man of mystery to most anyway!

Posted by: r4tge ()
Date: September 20, 2019 05:45PM

it's not MIT's problem but a general problem with "EE CIS CS IT" is this ...

tech info is all old news by the time you get it (and often without the code the full modeling things - like certain maths, you are just getting the old crumbs)

it's all patented so if you do the miracle mile, write all that modeling, "duplicate it" (at work or to make some consumer product) you'd be sued. because the school is teaching you things that are patented !

EE it's not like the medical or architecture field, not at all. and software - well that field has, well, stallman would have to explain to you what's happened to that field (as far as perspective of studying it and getting work and consumers perspective): there are glaring problems with the software education versus post education

Posted by: 08943rsdf ()
Date: September 20, 2019 06:27PM

I can say years back when i was in college in a book there was a discussion topic on Super Conductors. but the book called it "a topic of interest" and already disclaimed it was being treated at an elementary level (short of a least two pde courses required to really know what it all meant)

My books gave a "fake W" (i find in later editions it was "admitted" but barely admitted it was "fake") and no software sheet that shows the full one, nothing to symbolically graph W and allow it to be modified to explore it - despite their saying it was of utmost importance for study.

The book introduced the physics of motion, but no power suite of tools for doing it - just a pencil.

Electronics engineering courses don't come with circuit simulators (rumor is the good ones are "company owned and not sold")

POINT:

books introduce info they know you can't use (yet) usually as an "additional chapter" some teachers SKIP, more out of interest to give the student some reason to continue studying

POINT:

colleges leave you in the dark about ALLOT of things

POINT:

illegal aliens (60 Minutes did reports on this, this ain't my imagination) are getting in and using USA grant money to subsidize foreign company factory production of products that (walmart) helps sell to over-throw usa companies

colleges are getting more expensive , the should be getting less expensive

programmers are "just trodden on" (many if not most are)

and perhaps the who shebang needs to be "re-evaluated"

Posted by: 08943rsdf ()
Date: September 20, 2019 06:40PM

so another example: i'm told W is important (for nerds to learn?)

i read w understood it didn't do any homework problems and haven't gotten to scattering (actually i need to review some earlier things before that so i better hurry!)

if i am a beginning PHY student (let's assume i am) i would not like a fake W, i would want pages of layout with emphasis on comprehension (even if i was way short on the prerequisites to make use of it). software to model it dynamically to show what changes do and W's interacting look like: so i know wtf the book is talking about (as i said without the pde courses you would just be guessing, and with fake W presented you might well be guessing in the wrong direction - i assume you would be i don't see why you wouldn't be)

THAT'S NOT PART OF COLLEGE - YOU HAVE TO ASK WHY, and you have to see that in the end things in college are way way behind where technology IS

and you have to ask what is the social credit of learning crumbs and USA industry sellign out to china and working as a cashier to pay for classes who's funding was used to take your potential energy and job(s)

is that a social credit in china's system ? if so i should apply soon !!

Posted by: r4gtgbrere ()
Date: September 20, 2019 06:42PM

Free-Software-guru-Richard-Stallman-640x

Love to hear what if any software or engineering projects Stallman has been attending lately.

(not that i'm saying he doesn't deserve a retirement from it all if that's what is what)

ANYONE ON FFU CAN YOU FIND WHAT STALLMAN HAS DONE LATELY? (other than speak at conferences). has he taught classes recently? been on a top secret project? been re-releasing emacs?

Posted by: breitbart tech ()
Date: September 21, 2019 07:59PM

It's a shame breitbart tech hardly said who Stallman is or what he was doing at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (meaning recently).

Anyone know?

Date: September 22, 2019 03:58AM

r4gtgbrere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ANYONE ON FFU CAN YOU FIND WHAT STALLMAN HAS DONE
> LATELY? (other than speak at conferences). has
> he taught classes recently?

RMS was not a Professor or Instructor at MIT,
and has never taught any classes there.
That was never his job.

In the 70s and 80s he was a researcher at MIT,
working a little on Artificial Intelligence,
but mosly on operating systems (and Emacs).

He originally resigned from MIT way back in the
mid-80s in order to found the Free Software Foundation.
I think it was only rather reently that he got another
apppointment at MIT; not sure exactly what his title and
new responsibilities were. But a pretty good guess is that
he was there just to advocate for Free Software.
Not sure he's done any development in many years.
But MIT is a big supporter of Free Software and related
issues. And The Free Software Foundation that he founded
probably didn't have any money. So MIT hired him as a way
to basically subsidize his FSF work (I guess).

He should have known better than to engage on the topic
of Epstein. Even though he said up front that Epstein was
probably (from the news) a serial child rapist. But his
comments, combined with some dumb things he's said in the
past, were somewhat misconstrued, and it went viral,
and turned into Fake News. Marvin Minsky was pretty clearly
not involved in the bad Epstein stuff, and Stallman was
trying to point that out. But another part of MIT did take
some money from Epstein after Epstein started looking dodgey.
To the point that MIT tried to hide that donation as "anonyous".
That is an actual scandal. And MIT had just about gotten out
of the news cycle, wen Stallman decides to pipe up and start
talking about Epstein and putting MIT back in the news.
For which they fired him. And also, his own foundation fired
him, because nobody can afford to have any connection to anything
to do with Epstein. Even if it is lies and fake news about being
associated or "defending" Epstein.

So that's that.

Date: September 22, 2019 04:17AM

r4trgtefrew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as i said, allot of pseudo-medical courses in the
> EE/CS curriculum - very strange for MIT (Michigan
> Institute of Technology, not medical institute of
> technology)

The "MIT" referred to in the news is the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, which is not in Michigan.

You have a lot of strange comments about those course
descriptions, and I don't think you understand what
they mean pr what they are about.

But just FYI, while MIT does not offer the MD,
it has always been heavily involved in medical
research, especially when it relates to technology
and to biology. In addition, people get "joint"
PhD-MDs from MIT and Harvard Medical School
(the two institutions run a number of major mdical
and biology research labs together, along with
associated graduate programs).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.