HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mountain Dew Causes Cancer!!
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 11, 2010 09:06AM

Just what I needed to read - as little as two sodas a week double your chances of getting pancreatic cancer. WTF, is anything safe? Will the world not rest until it's determined that the only way to eliminate any health risks is to sit in a dark closet, eating broccoli and drinking de-ionized water?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/09/health/main6189455.shtml

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 09:31AM by Warhawk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mountain Dew Causes Cancer!!
Date: February 11, 2010 09:18AM

That's why you should switch to Sweet Tea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 11, 2010 09:33AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's why you should switch to Sweet Tea.

Ha! Unsweetened green tea is extremely healthy though. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

Date: February 11, 2010 09:37AM

Do the Dew!

patrick-swayze-jump-hl.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: February 11, 2010 09:46AM

Next year they'll come out and say that we need 2 sodas a week to promote a healthy brain or something.
Look at how many times they've contradicted themselves over chocolate, coffee, cell phones, red meat, etc....

Date: February 11, 2010 09:51AM

Numbers Wrote:
> Next year they'll come out and say that we need 2
> sodas a week to promote a healthy brain or
> something.
> Look at how many times they've contradicted
> themselves over chocolate, coffee, cell phones,
> red meat, etc....

It all kills you in the end. I say, enjoy your life while you can. What's the point of depriving yourself of the things you love for 70 or 80s years so that you can have five more years of the things you don't like.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 11, 2010 09:59AM

Warhawk Wrote:
>
> as little as two sodas a week double your chances of getting pancreatic cancer.

Is it any surprise? A single can of Mountain Dew has 1/4 cup of sugar in it. 1/4 cup!

Can you imagine sitting down and eating 1/4 of sugar??

And alot of people drink more than one soda per day, I'm not surprised at all there are health risks.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 11, 2010 10:19AM

Around 42,000 get diagnosed with pancreatic cancer every year, 0.014% of the US population. Now think about how much soda is consumed in this country every day, which has been the case for at least fifty years. If it was really that unhealthy in terms of pancreatic cancer we'd all have it.

Your chances go from "extremely minuscule" to "very minuscule."

Seems to me the media should be reporting its effects on obesity and the overall fUx0ring of pancreatic function.

Date: February 11, 2010 10:34AM

TheMeeper Wrote:

> Is it any surprise? A single can of Mountain Dew
> has 1/4 cup of sugar in it. 1/4 cup!

But it's sooooo good.

Fuck it, who wants to live forever....

Date: February 11, 2010 10:38AM

Soda is bad for you in any respect. It is a big time contributor to diabetes. When I was young, I drank Coke every day. Now I hardly ever touch the stuff.

Date: February 11, 2010 10:41AM

Warhawk Wrote:
>
> But it's sooooo good.
>
> Fuck it, who wants to live forever....

I actually don't drink soda, mainly because I don't like it. It's like a big fizzy mouthful of sugar, bleh.

LOL @ Highlander, I remember how god-awful the sequel was.

Date: February 11, 2010 11:04AM

Three Things Dew-Drinkers have in Common!

- Pushing it to the Extreme with X-Sports!
- An Extreme Love of the Rad Taste of The Dew!
- Hospice

Date: February 11, 2010 11:53AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Warhawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > But it's sooooo good.
> >
> > Fuck it, who wants to live forever....
>
> I actually don't drink soda, mainly because I
> don't like it. It's like a big fizzy mouthful of
> sugar, bleh.
>
> LOL @ Highlander, I remember how god-awful the
> sequel was.

I drink maybe 5 sodas a week - mostly the diet or "zero" types but I mainly drink water with those little 5 cal flavor packets. I will say that there's a special place in my taste buds for the syrupy sugar rush of Mountain Dew. Especially when I'm pwning noobs on WOW. Just kidding about that last part.

Posted by: FFVn ()
Date: February 11, 2010 12:36PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Just what I needed to read - as little as two
> sodas a week double your chances of getting
> pancreatic cancer. WTF, is anything safe? Will
> the world not rest until it's determined that the
> only way to eliminate any health risks is to sit
> in a dark closet, eating broccoli and drinking
> de-ionized water?
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/09/health/m
> ain6189455.shtml

You mean soft drinks. And sugar of any kind can weaken the immune system, not just soft drinks.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: February 11, 2010 02:12PM

eesh Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > That's why you should switch to Sweet Tea.
>
>
> Ha! Unsweetened green tea is extremely healthy
> though.
> http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-
> benefits-of-green-tea

Yeah, to a point. Unfortunately green tea can lead to kidney stone formation in men. I read about it later, but I found out about this fact from the doctor while I was laying on a table in the emergency room. In women it is not a problem, but for men it acts in a different manner. Part of it has to do with a higher intake of calcium I believe.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4535078.html

It is an interesting contradiction - some studies say it helps prevent them (mostly on women) but it also is shown to help cause the formation as well.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 02:13PM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: Been There, Done That. ()
Date: February 11, 2010 02:52PM

Sweet tea will work also to form kidney stones when combined with a high milk/ milk product diet.

Posted by: For RV ()
Date: February 11, 2010 02:57PM

:)

OMG OMG!

Date: February 11, 2010 03:17PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> Yeah, to a point. Unfortunately green tea can lead
> to kidney stone formation in men. I read about it
> later, but I found out about this fact from the
> doctor while I was laying on a table in the
> emergency room. In women it is not a problem, but
> for men it acts in a different manner. Part of it
> has to do with a higher intake of calcium I
> believe.

Great. Since I get about one stone per year (on average), I'm not looking to increase those. Hence, another reason I drink a lot of water w/ the flavor packs.

Date: February 11, 2010 04:02PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> to kidney stone formation in men.

This freaks me out. I drink green tea every day, usually 2 or 3 cups. I need to ask my doctor about this.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 11, 2010 04:07PM

Registered Voter Wrote:

>
> to kidney stone formation in men. I read about it
> later, but I found out about this fact from the
> doctor while I was laying on a table in the
> emergency room. In women it is not a problem, but
> for men it acts in a different manner. Part of it
> has to do with a higher intake of calcium I
> believe.
>

Good info. I would imagine as long as you urinate regularly you shouldn't worry about kidney stones. Maybe it only affects men of a certain age.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: February 11, 2010 04:26PM

eesh Wrote:
> Registered Voter Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Yeah, to a point. Unfortunately green tea can
> lead
> > to kidney stone formation in men. I read about
> it
> > later, but I found out about this fact from the
> > doctor while I was laying on a table in the
> > emergency room. In women it is not a problem,
> but
> > for men it acts in a different manner. Part of
> it
> > has to do with a higher intake of calcium I
> > believe.
> >
>
>
>
> Good info. I would imagine as long as you urinate
> regularly you shouldn't worry about kidney stones.
> Maybe it only affects men of a certain age.

Not to get into TMI - but urination was not a problem. It has more to do with the balance of milk or calcium products versus tea. It really has more to do with drinking water.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: McTikkaMasala ()
Date: February 11, 2010 04:37PM

RV wrote:

"Not to get into TMI..."

-----------

It looks like you're getting sidetracked from your usual barrage of posting. Are you feeling well?

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: February 11, 2010 04:51PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Will
> the world not rest until it's determined that the
> only way to eliminate any health risks is to sit
> in a dark closet, eating broccoli and drinking
> de-ionized water?

If you sat in a dark closet you would not get any vitamin D. So while your risk of getting skin cancer would go down, your risk of getting other cancers would go up.

I've given up soda except for the rare occasion. I still miss the caffeine in the morning but I just didn't feel like drinking large amounts of diet soda was a good choice.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 11, 2010 05:35PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> That's why you should switch to Sweet Tea.

file.php?40,file=3517
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Uninsured Motorist ()
Date: February 11, 2010 05:44PM

I frequently used Mountain Dew as jack-Off lube.

Will I get cock-cancer now?

Posted by: Mr. Man ()
Date: February 12, 2010 07:10PM

Warhawk Wrote:

I drink a lot of water w/
> the flavor packs.

Please stop using flavor packets. it makes you look like a FAG. just drink water by itself. you'll find it's more refreshing and thirst quenching. synthetic sugars are worse than real sugar. just trying to help :)

Posted by: Mr. Man ()
Date: February 12, 2010 07:16PM

Genevieve Wrote:
I
> still miss the caffeine in the morning but I just
> didn't feel like drinking large amounts of diet
> soda was a good choice.

if you get the proper amount of sleep you will feel refreshed in the morning and would have no want for caffeine. your body will wake up automatically when you have gotten the proper amount of sleep. you should go to sleep earlier until you get to a point where you don't need an alarm to wake up.

Posted by: Sucka ma CaCa ()
Date: February 12, 2010 07:18PM

Please do not use Mountain Dew as cock lube! It can give you cock cancer. Then you will have cancer of the cock. Then you will die of cancer that grows on your cock. Then they will not be able to have an open casket viewing of your cock and will have to use an artificial vibrating dildo in its place to look like your old cancer-less cock-bulge.

Posted by: § ()
Date: February 13, 2010 11:50PM

What. In. The. Hell?

Posted by: Your mom ()
Date: August 28, 2012 12:05PM

@ if you get the proper amount of sleep you will feel refreshed in the morning and would have no want for caffeine. your body will wake up automatically when you have gotten the proper amount of sleep. you should go to sleep earlier until you get to a point where you don't need an alarm to wake up.

If we are talking about living who wants to waste more time sleeping? Saying you add an extra hour of sleep which is times 365 days a year at 40 years alone that's 2 years of your life...

Posted by: 5 Fists of Science ()
Date: August 28, 2012 12:26PM

John Berlau believes that DDT is good for you. From the look of him, he drinks abou 10 liters of Mountain Dew a day.

Posted by: beccabear ()
Date: March 15, 2013 01:04AM

Everything causes cancer now! I mean, first it was certain types of meat, then eggs, then bottled water and alcohol. I hate to tell you this, but you're constantly being exposed to carcinogens. Even the sun has been linked to cancer, it's really getting ridiculous. I mean, I've been drinking roughly 1 can of mountain dew a day for most of my life, and I haven't been negatively effected at all.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: March 15, 2013 08:08AM

Drinking deionized water is bad for you.

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: March 15, 2013 09:48AM

It's shocking just how ignorant to their health the average, fast food gobbling, soda swigging American is.

Yes, most everything you eat and drink causes cancer now as its all processed. That includes the non-organic meat you eat that's loaded with hormones and anti-biotics. That includes many non-organic fruits and veggies that absorb the pesticides they're treated with; berries and anything with a thin skin especially. That includes your precious soda life-force. Read the fucking label. You really think that's not really bad for you? What is all that shit anyway? It also includes your faggoty "flavor packets" for your water. Seriously? You actually go fill up your little water bottle then sit their at your desk pouring your little lemon-like packet into it, as your gay little taste buds jus lt have to take a little twirl when you consume your beverage? C'mon man!

If what you're eating isn't a naturally occurring product, ie; it's man made, it's not good for you.

Fact is the shit that we're consuming is a huge, often sole reason were getting cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. It's why we're basically shot by the time most of us hit 50 years old, if we even make it that far. The fact that we eat the way we do combined with the average persons' activity level(sedentary)...Jesus Christ. How could you expect to live a quality, healthy life?

There are things we can do like switching to a veg/pescatarian diet, eating organic meats when we do consume meat, limiting dairy for adults, eliminating processed sugars, eating a minimum of 5 servings of veggies, preferably leafy greens, each day, and for god sakes, getting off your fat ass and getting some exercise.

A 41 year old is still the best competitive surfer on tour. A 48 year old just won the IBF light-heavyweight title. There are 40, 50 and even 60 year olds still performing at high levels across various sports. Just look. Gerry Lopez is in his 60's and still surfs, snowboards with his son in OR, and is a fucking-yoga-master. Do you think any of these guys are grumbling because they didn't get to grab lunch Popeye's or have their daily sugar water? Do you think their lives feel incomplete because they're not indulging in these things?

I understand that we're all gonna die. I understand that you enjoy consuming the tasty poison you do. But by taking the "I'm gonna die anyway, might as well enjoy myself" approach, you're basically saying that your purpose in life is to consume, which is pretty fucked up and selfish. Wouldn't you like to walk around without a hover chair? Wouldn't you like to not require weekly doctor visits? Wouldn't you like to see your children into adulthood? Wouldn't you like to not be a burden to them? Do you want your last years to be 50-52 where your mind is still sharp and you feel all that pain, or do you want it to be 80-82 when you're too looney to care? If you live to be 76 years old, don't you want to LIVE 76 years?

Put down the chicken wing and the sliders. Drop the binge drinking and soda. Turn off the fucking TV and Get out and exercise and if possible, move away from urban areas that offer all of this temptation. Your body really is a temple, and temples don't like saturated fats, processed sugar, MSG and cholesterol.
Your body will thank you.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Posted by: The taste is awful ()
Date: March 15, 2013 11:31AM

Never like taste of Moutain Dew

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: March 15, 2013 11:34AM

Only time I have consumed the "DEW" was on a road trip and when I worked in Accounting, during month end close. 15-20 hour days requires high doses of caffeine and I don't like coffee after 1pm. I stopped drinking soda member a little over a year ago. Even before that, in the last 5 years, I didn't drink a lot of it.

Posted by: Nothing to see ()
Date: March 15, 2013 11:39AM

Just don't drink it on an empty stomach.

Posted by: almost like ()
Date: March 16, 2013 12:11PM

Nothing to see Wrote:
> Just don't drink it on an empty stomach.

Like acid

Posted by: hggfigcyfilydftoudco ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:21PM

IT HAS BROMINE IN IT WHICH IS A CARCINOGEN SO YES

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:18PM

hggfigcyfilydftoudco Wrote:
> IT HAS BROMINE IN IT WHICH IS A CARCINOGEN SO YES

TRY AGAIN! Also, there's this really nice thing called the "shift" key. You press it when you want to make a capital letter. Try it out sometime.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.