HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Don't Die Alone with Pets
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 05, 2010 02:02PM

"This is a very sad situation where you have animals that rely on an owner to care for them, and when they decease like that and no one knows about it they're on their own," says Stacie Dabolt, an AHS Animal EMT.

"They are alive and in the condition they are because they were eating off of their owner's corpse. Sad to say but that is reality of what we deal with."

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/pets/starving-chihuahuas-2-2-2010

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Don't Die Alone with Pets
Posted by: Old Yeller Strikes Back ()
Date: February 05, 2010 03:33PM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "They are alive and in the condition they are
> because they were eating off of their owner's
> corpse."

Classic line.

Date: February 05, 2010 03:39PM

Like I've always said. Dogs are great. But the minute you turn your back, or die, they will have no problem eating you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: February 05, 2010 03:51PM

I will mek kitteh nom noms on yer Laydeez.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 05, 2010 04:39PM

Cats generally wait about 1 and 1/2 days before they will eat you. Hawk from the Straight Dope explains:

The fifty-cent word for the event that you describe is "postmortem predation" and it is a major concern for those involved in death investigation and the forensic sciences. For example, let's say that a set of skeletonized remains is found in a heavily wooded area. When the remains have been inventoried, it is learned that all the bones of both hands are missing. Were the hands removed to hide the deceased's fingerprints? A gruesome scenario, yes, but consider this alternative: a hiker has a fatal heart attack and collapses, where some woodland creatures gnaw off the hands (as the only exposed areas of the body) and make away with them. Both scenarios are plausible, but vastly different: is this a homicide or an accidental death? The main difference, of course, is how much paperwork you have to fill out.

I was attending the 1992 American Academy of Forensic Sciences conference in New Orleans and a forensic pathologist related the following story (paraphrased as best as memory will serve): "Sometimes, when an individual living alone dies unexpectedly, several days may pass before anyone takes notice. Some of these individuals may own a dog or a cat, which will go unfed. In my experience, a dog may go for several days before finally resorting to eating the owner's body. A cat, on the other hand, will only wait a day or two. Just goes to show you which is more loyal. So, the next time you're falling asleep on the couch with the football game on, take a look at your cat. He's not watching you because he's enamored of you; he's checking to see if your chest is still moving." Oh, those wacky pathologists.

I can't explain why a cat may be so quick to turn on the hand that fed it. I can only tell you that yes, it does happen. As a single guy living alone with three cats, I can tell you that I keep plenty of kibble about, because you never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2010 04:44PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: February 06, 2010 09:34AM

I want LOLcat to eat me when I die.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: February 06, 2010 09:50AM

Attachments:
nom-nom-yummy-cat.jpg

Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: February 06, 2010 11:10AM

Attachments:
funny-pictures-your-cat-likes-the-movie-the-shining.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.