HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fios mcafee home network protection — any good?
Posted by: Up a crick ()
Date: December 11, 2018 12:03PM

So Verizon is trying to get subscribers to shift from router based parental and access controls to some software overlay system. I’m thinking this adds overhead, reduces speed, and risks sharing too much data with Mcafee.

Any thoughts from the tech crowd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fios mcafee home network protection — any good?
Posted by: Hefoter ()
Date: January 16, 2019 12:18PM

The most necessary thing in connecting your home devices in one system is your router. In order to set up correctly you can find here very useful information.

Posted by: h7pxu ()
Date: January 16, 2019 02:02PM

your motherboard is made in malaysia when you update windows your giving root passwords to asians to install anything they PLEASE

your motherboard is made in malaysia and has asian chips who's contents are unpublished

your cable company watches what you do on the internet from the cable modem and shares it with authorities. verizon records the text of your phonecalls and keeps it for (a time)

you might protect yourself from a malicious website you shouldn't be on using a bad web browser: that's all your going to fix

Posted by: Respecto ()
Date: February 21, 2019 04:24AM

You'd better set up your router properly and figure out how's the tunneling works to prevent the data leakages. And it's always good to have an in-depth knowledge of your network is operating. Here's the place to start learning about routers https://www.router-reset.com/router-login-web-interface/Belkin.

Posted by: Need more security ()
Date: February 21, 2019 06:47AM

I have not looked at the full McAfee product in detail nor am I am FIOS subscriber, but these days you need to have multiple layers of Internet security per security experts. Anti-virus by itself does not cut it. Some additional security tools, Malwarebytes Premium https://www.malwarebytes.com/products/ with web, exploit, malware, and ransomware protections and SpyShelter https://www.spyshelter.com/ with keylogging, your keystrokes are encrypted, screen, and webcam protections can be added on top of your existing anti-virus software, which I have been doing for years, and the price is well worth it vs. cleaning up an identity theft situation. Also for free browser addons - Malwwarebytes for downloads protection, a web site advisor (green, yellow, red, not perfect, but better than nothing), and ScriptSafe available for Firefox and Chrome which blocks scripts running on website except those you allow (initial setup takes some time). Also updating your software is important, SUMo updater (free or paid) is very good, your Windows updates, and updating your security software. I also have a wired router, better than a Wifi router even with passowrd protection, per security experts where I used to work, and my email with advanced Sieve filtering (fastmail.com) where have only received less than 25 spam emails in the last two years. Also common sense, not opening unknown emails, attachments, or weblinks, and a dose of prayer goes a long way.

If using a smartphone, the layered security is not there yet, so I avoid sharing sensitive information there, such as SSN, date of birth, logging into bank accounts, debit card number, but credit cards are ok (if CC hacked, more easily fixed).

Posted by: TXUEN ()
Date: February 21, 2019 06:59AM

Up a crick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So Verizon is trying to get subscribers to shift
> from router based parental and access controls to
> some software overlay system. I’m thinking this
> adds overhead, reduces speed, and risks sharing
> too much data with Mcafee.
>
> Any thoughts from the tech crowd?

Yes, security software does reduce speed, not too badly, and has some overhead, but the tradeoff is you getting hacked and have to rebuild your computer from an infection or worse getting your identity stolen and cleaning up that situation. As far as sharing information with McAfee, https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/about/legal/privacy.html which need to read as everyone's preferences are different what wish to share.

Posted by: Anduin ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:13PM

Is there any vpn with ad blocking function?

Posted by: Pi-hole ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:22PM

Anduin Wrote:
> Is there any vpn with ad blocking function?

Just set up a Pi-hole. Works great.

https://pi-hole.net/

Or you can do the same with pfsense, DD-WRT, etc.

Or easier use an ad-blocking DNS:

https://smarthomeflow.com/ad-blocking-dns-for-router/

The advantage of running your own is that you can control things better since the blocking may at times break some things that you want to work.

Out-going VPNs are a waste of time and money for most people.

Posted by: Anduin ()
Date: May 16, 2019 04:09AM

thn

Posted by: escapeyourfate ()
Date: May 16, 2019 04:15AM

Perhaps there are some vpn that can block ads, but I think that there you need to have some knowledge to customize all this. I find it easier to simply install a browser extension, such as https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ad-blocker-ininja/nikbookgikighfcfijodlhmffkfcemnc . Such extensions also effectively cope with advertising.

Posted by: Just my two cents ()
Date: May 16, 2019 08:15AM

Up a crick Wrote:
> So Verizon is trying to get subscribers to shift
> from router based parental and access controls to
> some software overlay system. I’m thinking this
> adds overhead, reduces speed, and risks sharing
> too much data with Mcafee.
>
> Any thoughts from the tech crowd?

No, I don't think it's worth it. Just replace the DNS settings on your router with OPENDNS and you'll basically get the same thing for free.

Not a fan of McAfee. They try to me all things to all people and they're just too sloppy. They are not super popular in the business world. IT Security is becoming very competitive and that's a good thing.

Posted by: Lillyhammer1971 ()
Date: July 16, 2020 11:17AM

You always have to be sure about your network security. My wife always visits some websites that are destroying my laptop. I decided to buy her personal computer and connect her to wi-fi so i started to search for a good router and i found this great place called router-admin.net and they really helped me. All devices are connected and working on a next level. I am really glad that I found these guys so I recommend them to all my friends and they all have the same decision. I think I will continue to work only with these guys.

Posted by: ARNELLAMUTTI ()
Date: July 16, 2020 01:45PM

Lillyhammer1971 Wrote:
>You always have to be sure about your network security. My wife always visits some websites that are destroying my laptop. I decided to buy her personal computer and connect her to wi-fi so i started to search for a good router and i found this great place called router-admin.net and they really helped me. All devices are connected and working on a next level. I am really glad that I found these guys so I recommend them to all my friends and they all have the same decision. I think I will continue to work only with these guys.

I wish someone else could send me his opinion

Posted by: apostol19711 ()
Date: July 17, 2020 08:54AM

I never wanted to start gambling. I never thought that it is something that I want to waste my time on. However one day my friend showed me this place called w88.com and i thought that i can try a little bit with small bets. Some time passed and I started to read books, watch news and watch all games to make decisions. I started to win more and more. Now I am buying a new car because of my smart bets. I think I am ready to start a really big deal. Bets is business and you need knowledge to make profit.

Posted by: Adelle1707 ()
Date: July 18, 2020 11:05AM

apostol19711 Wrote:
I never wanted to start gambling. I never thought that it is something that I want to waste my time on. However one day my friend showed me this place called

Posted by: Lillyhammer1971761 ()
Date: July 18, 2020 11:09AM

apostol19711 Wrote:
I never wanted to start gambling. I never thought that it is something that I want to waste my time on. However one day my friend showed me this place called w88.com and i thought that i can try a little bit with small bets. Some time passed and I started to read books, watch news and watch all games to make decisions. I started to win more and more. Now I am buying a new car because of my smart bets. I think I am ready to start a really big deal. Bets is business and you need knowledge to make profit.

I wish someone else could send me his opinion

Posted by: jogncartman ()
Date: December 18, 2020 10:38AM

The problem is very simple to solve, I want to say that your smartphone may be too old for today's VPN services, and it will probably be difficult for you to find the one you need. I also once asked the same question and there was a similar problem on Nokia 3. But she decided that my friend advised me a number of VPN servilos that will work on my smartphone. And he soon, so that other people would not have the same questions, he decided to create a website to collect all the current and best VPN services that exist at the moment around the world. So my friend try one of these which is on this site vpnonline.com

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: November 28, 2022 11:39PM

jogncartman Wrote:
> The problem is very simple to solve, I want to say
> that your smartphone may be too old for today's
> VPN services, and it will probably be difficult
> for you to find the one you need. I also once
> asked the same question and there was a similar
> problem on Nokia 3. But she decided that my friend
> advised me a number of VPN servilos that will work
> on my smartphone. And he soon, so that other
> people would not have the same questions, he
> decided to create a website to collect all the
> current and best VPN services that exist at the
> moment around the world. So my friend try one of
> these which is on this site
> vpnonline.com

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.