HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Democrats deals with China: writing safety code that "requires use of chinese imports" on USA projects
Posted by: Associated Pressing ()
Date: October 18, 2018 01:07PM

Democrats are LEGISLATING IN LAW the required use of building materials inside USA that only exist as made in china (and therefore of unchecked quality) "for safety".

Furthermore they go so far to require a dangerous item and then require a "only made in china" part that "fixes the problem".

Who would know all about that? HOMEDEPOT owners and your State Legislators who are living very richly in deed and with MULTIPLE DEEDS they lay claim on. Homedepot I see has the "fix" for the problem marked THIRTEEN TIMES THE COST of what used to pass code and regulation. Furthermore - there are made in usa parts that are close but not exactly the same which are carefully REJECTED (not permitted) of better quality.

THIRTEEN TIMES THE COST. ONLY MADE IN CHINA. UN-REGULATED manufacturing. Monopoly pricing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Democrats deals with China: writing safety code that "requires use of chinese imports" on USA projects
Posted by: Associated Pressing ()
Date: October 18, 2018 01:14PM

light-almond-leviton-electrical-outlets-

$23 nation-wide price (homedepot) only made in china (no usa makers make it)

Price for made in usa outlet that used to "pass inspection": $1.78 Retail (not discounted at all), less than $1 bulk. Price of competing made in usa outlet slightly different specs but not allowed: $10.

The outlet is REQUIRED TO BE INSTALLED in a dangerous area that should not have any power outlets: but they "require it". Can government "require" a bad idea?

Re: Democrats deals with China: writing safety code that "requires use of chinese imports" on USA projects
Posted by: tf6dy ()
Date: October 18, 2018 03:09PM

hyundai are safe than ford f150

your required to have at least one

Posted by: vtupc ()
Date: October 18, 2018 03:19PM

TR Tamper Resistant Outlets Suck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5RFoUk9B8

I see two problems:

(1) parents who don't watch their children are a problem. if the scissors aren't in the outlet they'll be cutting the wires

(2) this PARTICULAR design requires allot of wiggling and hard pushing. that's exactly what you don't want to do to an outlet that's been installed several years ago. any problem left by some illegal who installed it can cause a short when you "rough house" the outlet. that's exactly when outlets break and arc inside: when they are rough housed.

Date: October 18, 2018 03:22PM

(3) the design is "integral", if you break it you need an electrician or your landlord is calling the cops to get you to $$pay for one. about any electrical design except this one is not integral for good reasons.

THIS DESIGN PREVENTS REPLACEMENT OF A BROKEN FEATURE EXCEPT BY REPLACEMENT.

(many other designs exist that fit over an outlet which can be replaced if broken - and they don't required "rough housing" the outlet)

Date: October 18, 2018 03:28PM

(4) MANY items at HOMEDEPOT are import crap never inspected by UL despite UL "selling their sticker" to the chinese they are NOT inspected at all.

Outlets (female) (reasons not mentioned) CRACK and arc and cause fires when using improperly sized male plugs. Rough housing outlets is already a serious issue. Many home owners with "bash" and outlet and not call an electrician if an outlet is "loose" or cracked. The problem: lack of standards and inspection and the Chinese. They plugs simply don't fit and the outlets simply don't always accept plugs that should fit without rough housing. Rough housing loosens (at least: minimally) safety ground wire, breaks bakelite material of socket, and has caused many fires.

Posted by: jckep ()
Date: October 18, 2018 03:34PM

child-safe-outlets-2-for-tamper-resistan

The PRESSURE to use these $23 outlets is VERY HIGH, trolled seriously. There is one and only one reason that would occur ...

The Chinese. They know damn well what is going on and have heavily "advertised" this poorly designed product they want $23 for a single outlet for.

IT'S A PRESSURE PURCHASE. IT'S THE CHINESE WAY.

EXACTLY WHY I DON'T WANT ONE.

Posted by: mike holt's a dolt ()
Date: October 18, 2018 03:36PM

Personally, when I was a kid I stuck something in the electrical outlet: I'm alive.

I've seen someone else's kids do it: they're alive.

What scares the hell out of me (other than forced chinese sales)? Running with scissors and running on the staircase.

Posted by: big mack ()
Date: October 18, 2018 03:56PM

I did that as a kid it scared the hell out of me.

But I wouldn't have had my parents bothered to give me even a little education on the matter.

Posted by: kljhgfds ()
Date: October 18, 2018 08:38PM

I heard there's a new IOT Swift switch bean for the home monitoring aficionado that let's fire departments see what is going on during an emergency.

It's only $70 per outlet. I think they will make it "required". Made in china.

Posted by: timmy jenntots ()
Date: October 18, 2018 08:50PM

if you can't shut off your oven from your cell phone on your way to work your ancient history. you shouldn't even leave your home your so dangerous!

Posted by: Practical reasoning ()
Date: October 19, 2018 12:14PM

lCqMmu7.jpg

A cover with a simple key (a rod of particular length) (tm, that's my patent) could make a cover a cheap and ALLOT SAFE solution. However: covers have to be open with plugs. Even the "tamper proof" are not proof against that (the chord is exposed to scissors. partial pull-out leaves exposed prongs THAT ARE ENERGIZED IN FACT)

(1) you still have to watch your kids and be responsible if you FAIL

(2) a PHOTO (the one above appropriate for holloween) place at every outlet should convince the child it won't be a pleasant day if they inquire within

That would be my ruling. Something like a "Mr. Yuck" sticker and perhaps a cover BUT ABSOLUTELY NOT a teknorogy that requires rough housing the outlet: absolutely NOT.

Posted by: Practical reasoning ()
Date: October 19, 2018 12:19PM

I would further rule that power might be required in the Master Bedroom but absolutely NOT required for any "general access" bathroom.

You DON'T need to blowdry your hair in a place you COULD drop the hairdryer in running water (nor any other device). Floors can be wet. Wet is assumed. Shoes are not regulated in even 1/2 bathrooms: shoes cannot be assumed.

I would regulate your "better off without, but if you do - use a key and the plug cannot be left un-attended un-locked" (impossible to enforce).

I would de-regulate so as to make it SAFER.

Posted by: 6myun ()
Date: October 19, 2018 12:21PM

220px-Poison_Help.svg.png

under-used

Posted by: 46kpk ()
Date: October 19, 2018 12:22PM

300px-Shockhazard.jpg

Posted by: wvhnm ()
Date: October 19, 2018 12:22PM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQo0sXdfsf2awrOXLbVul

Posted by: ukn7u ()
Date: October 19, 2018 08:41PM

death is final

Posted by: plpvh ()
Date: October 19, 2018 08:46PM

receptacle-arc.jpg?width=470&height=470

Your ground is screwed on even in the "new to code". When they float around - especially if moved by rough-housing: they can create "arcing", and frequently do. The other wires could be floating too - depends on installation. You don't know.

OsrQj.jpgblog2.jpg

why not to push and pull on outlets: they aren't installed perfect surprisingly frequenly, installed wrong-ish and inspectors NEVER shake it down (in fx co)

Posted by: k3wpt ()
Date: October 19, 2018 08:49PM

burned-outlet-discolored-electrical-haza

this kind of arcing (or fire) can be caused by:

(1) malfunctioned male plug / equipment

(2) rough housing the outlet: Bakelite breaks when rough-housed. The result is floating brass assembly inside the socket. THE RESULT ABSOLUTELY DOES ARC.

Posted by: MOBS VS JOBS ()
Date: October 19, 2018 08:58PM

Wow. OP needs help.

Posted by: emwuj ()
Date: October 19, 2018 09:00PM

tamper-resistant-gfci-outlet-for-sale-is

No mfg makes 20a tr outlets in USA (15a yes, but Virginia "requires" 20a - which happens to only be available in china - no mistake i assert).

Let me make this clear. Tamper Resistant Plugs (see youtube above) are rough housed by average individuals. They CAUSE ROUGH HOUSING, they are difficult to use and also create "snags".

Rough housed outlets are a FIRE HAZARD and usually why outlets fail. Increasing this by having an internal "gadget" that saves BIG on shipping fees, falsely appears to be for "safety", is an inspection FAIL.

Official-Player-Communication-Influencesimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbgoFc_B9P0NPsA3ySvF0

OUT!

Posted by: 56i6i ()
Date: July 28, 2021 09:19AM

and is this really different than COVID19 ? only which chinese man is demanding profits is different, from where I'm sitting

Posted by: 456u56u ()
Date: July 28, 2021 09:22AM

Associated Pressing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> $23 nation-wide price (homedepot) only made in
> china (no usa makers make it)
>
> Price for made in usa outlet that used to "pass
> inspection": $1.78 Retail (not discounted at all),
> less than $1 bulk. Price of competing made in usa
> outlet slightly different specs but not allowed:
> $10.
>
> The outlet is REQUIRED TO BE INSTALLED in a
> dangerous area that should not have any power
> outlets: but they "require it". Can government
> "require" a bad idea?

THAT MOTHER FUCKER OBAMA

THERE'S NO REASON FOR A 20A OUTLET IN A BATHROOM: it's illegal to plug in anything (trimmer, or other common bathroom item) into 20A.

there's no reason to "demand" a 15A in a bathroom - just more dangerous for children, if we get right down to it

BUT TO HELL IF YOUR DEMANDING ONLY CHINESE MODELS BE USED

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.