HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How can I get into the Tech industry/business with my liberal arts major?
Posted by: Starving Anthropology Major ()
Date: October 12, 2018 06:13PM

My father is a renowned plastic surgeon. He wanted me to go into medicine as well and follow in his footsteps, but the idea of medical school bores me. I tried my hand at math, physics and some other hard science stuff in college but flunked out. I ended up majoring in Anthropology, mainly because the classes were interesting but also because at the time it was the major that I could graduate with the earliest given my course credits. three years later, and I'm doing "social work" in Prince William. It fucking sucks. I'm looking to get into something IT/business related, but I'm not sure how to do it from scratch. I looked at a few post-grad programs to get my feet wet. Namely these;

https://vtmit.vt.edu/index/dual-degree-with-vt-mba.html

https://www.commerce.virginia.edu/mbi/certificate-business

https://www.commerce.virginia.edu/ms-business-analytics

Am I on the "right track"? How do people do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I get into the Tech industry/business with my liberal arts major?
Posted by: Most times ()
Date: October 12, 2018 06:16PM

while they're on their backs,,,or knees.

Posted by: Networking ()
Date: October 12, 2018 06:22PM

Go to nova or umuc and take some non credit coding courses.Research companies that do work in the sector that interest you. Create a LinkedIn profile and start networking with people at those companies.

Posted by: & when that fails ()
Date: October 12, 2018 09:08PM

Uber and Lyft always need drivers.

Posted by: dchlk ()
Date: October 13, 2018 11:45AM

(1) be a relative of a fairfax county government worker

(2) get a liberal arts bachelor's

(3) promise to buy every piece of Microsoft software and use lots of Microsoft tech support

(4) get free night class education

(5) have your friends in gov run their own cert classes and also cert you

That's EXACTLY how Bill Gates and Democrats spread Windows 95 in the 1980's, 1990's, probably 2000's too.

They intently hired totally un-qualified people who were guaranteed to continually purchase Microsoft solutions that had NO CLUE WHATSOEVER if they were being ripped off or if what they were doing wasn't

TOTALLY RECKLESS

Posted by: dchlk ()
Date: October 13, 2018 11:50AM

FURTHERMORE, in the 90's the rule changed to keep people with actual education OUT OF THE MARKET.

(1) accredited IT classes were not yet available in NVA despite they'd been avail. in CA and MT for decades

(2) un-qualified government workers were PREFERRED BY WRITTEN RULE over qualified non-government workers. the QUALIFICATIONS rules brought in the Clinton 90's applied ONLY to non-government workers - favoring democrats very obviously

(3) next, illegal aliens were BY RULE prefferred over denizens and whites because "they needed to stay working to keep their green card". this was filed in the fx co courthouse - it's not a joke

Posted by: k9mec ()
Date: October 13, 2018 11:52AM

Millenial OP learned from Bill Gates and Clinton that the way it is done is you pay $200,000 for an education, then get certified too, then you look for work.

OP is is a fool they saw coming. Someone they can quadruple dip off of.

Posted by: Walter Dismon. ()
Date: March 14, 2019 07:19PM

Getting into business these days isn't that complicated even though your major differs so much with your desired direction of development. Of course, you'll start off small but I bet you can reach stable development. Also when it comes to making transactions you should reduce your risks. One of the ways is hiring an escrow agent https://goldblum.ch/escrow-agent. Read about it. I think this information is pretty useful.

Posted by: VKJKHV ()
Date: March 14, 2019 08:57PM

Interning can be a great way to get the lay of the land, learn some company-specific skills, and meet people.

Don’t underestimate the value of networking, either. Most of my jobs have come by word of mouth.

Good luck!

Posted by: n7hnh ()
Date: March 14, 2019 10:26PM

The rate of pay of most Linux OS / Google coders which google runs on, some of which were brilliant an could easily have been doing something else.

- ($400) / yr at best

Posted by: x9cfm ()
Date: March 14, 2019 10:28PM

Starving Anthropology Major Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

drop dead. your political ties and foreign country games aren't fooling anyone.

calling programers losers are you ?

anyone can make money by cheating. the question is whether we are going to stick you with the bill before one of us dies.

Posted by: Some Thoughts ()
Date: March 14, 2019 10:30PM

I’ve been out of the IT field so quite a while, but here are some thoughts. First, you have to decide what you like to do and what you’re good at. Some of your options...

- Coding. If you want to code all day, that’s one avenue, but you’ll face lots of competition from H1b visa immigrants who will work cheaper than you. Also, jobs stop petering out by the time you reach 40.

- Analytical work. A lot of IT people don’t realize it, but there is a desperate need for people who can communicate effectively, especially in writing. There is also a need for people who can think through a problem and come up with solutions. If that appeals to you, look into systems analysis and design.

- Marketing. If you have any background or skills in marketing and want to make good money, consider proposal development. It’s extremely demanding and kind of soul crushing, but it’s definitely lucrative if you can handle it.

- General purpose bullshitting. That describes a lot of IT managers, whose primary responsibilities are stroking the customers and getting new work. Knowledge of the field is not really required if you can bring in the money. Some companies have separate managerial and technical tracts.

If you can go into an interview and present yourself effectively (nice appearance, well spoken, ambitious but differential to authority), then you’re a leg up on most people in the IT field. If you want to do technical work, get trained in a specialty and apply for a job. Otherwise, look for an unpaid internship in your area of interest, then leverage it from there.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.