HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 25, 2010 07:34PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8478764.stm

Mr Hotz said that he had begun the hack last summer when he had spent three weeks analysing the hardware.

After a long break, he spent a further two weeks cracking the console, which he described as a "very secure system".

He said that he was not yet ready to reveal the full details of the hack but said that it was "5% hardware and 95% software".

Opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games, he said.

In addition, he said, the hack would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Recent versions of the PS3 do not have the ability to play PS2 games after Sony controversially removed a piece of hardware.


Blessed are the murderous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: pj. ()
Date: January 25, 2010 08:13PM

That hack could very well be illegal in the US, under the DMCA.

"If you come up with a slick way to crack a console and upload the tools onto a website, even with the most benign of intentions, you are making yourself a target for prosecution."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/modder-arrest-a-reminder-that-most-console-hacks-are-illegal.ars

It's really a quite oppressive law in this respect. I don't know if there's an equivalent British law.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 25, 2010 08:57PM

pj. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That hack could very well be illegal in the US,
> under the DMCA.
>
> "If you come up with a slick way to crack a
> console and upload the tools onto a website, even
> with the most benign of intentions, you are making
> yourself a target for prosecution."
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/modder-
> arrest-a-reminder-that-most-console-hacks-are-ille
> gal.ars
>
> It's really a quite oppressive law in this
> respect. I don't know if there's an equivalent
> British law.




Looks like if you profit from the modding, it becomes criminal. Until then, simply hacking is a civil issue. At least that's what I got out of the article.

Blessed are the murderous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 25, 2010 09:09PM

this is very cool. it would be nice to be able to use it's full graphics capabilities in linux.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 25, 2010 09:17PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is very cool. it would be nice to be able to
> use it's full graphics capabilities in linux.

For what purpose?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 25, 2010 09:54PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > this is very cool. it would be nice to be able
> to
> > use it's full graphics capabilities in linux.
>
> For what purpose?



both games (yes, games exist on linux ) and general purpose use.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 26, 2010 09:47AM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MrMephisto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gravis Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > this is very cool. it would be nice to be
> able
> > to
> > > use it's full graphics capabilities in linux.
> >
> > For what purpose?
>
>
> both games (yes, games exist on linux ) and
> general purpose use.

Oh, please, nobody wants to play Pong anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: i > u ()
Date: January 26, 2010 12:39PM

I apologize for the size of the photo, but as far as the OS rivalries go
asseenby.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 26, 2010 12:42PM

Seriously, though, let's say you do the hack. How do you interface with it? Wouldn't you have to load an OS on it to do anything?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:14PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, please, nobody wants to play Pong anymore.


file.php?40,file=4831MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously, though, let's say you do the hack. How
> do you interface with it? Wouldn't you have to
> load an OS on it to do anything?


unless the hack allows you to manipulate the current OS, yes you would have to load an OS. however, i would like to remind you that the current OS on the PS3 is linux. specifically, they use the XrossMediaBar for the interface. however, since the PS3 has bluetooth and USB ports and HDMI video/audio output, you can easily use a mouse and keyboard while connecting HDMI to a monitor that has an audio out (headphone) jack. i've been able to do this in the past since i have the original one playstation 3 model. it's completely usable as a full fledged computer.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:26PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> unless the hack allows you to manipulate the
> current OS, yes you would have to load an OS.
> however, i would like to remind you that the
> current OS on the PS3 is linux. specifically,
> they use the XrossMediaBar for the interface.
> however, since the PS3 has bluetooth and USB ports
> and HDMI video/audio output, you can easily use a
> mouse and keyboard while connecting HDMI to a
> monitor that has an audio out (headphone) jack.
> i've been able to do this in the past since i have
> the original one playstation 3 model. it's
> completely usable as a full fledged computer.

Interesting. Does Sony use non-proprietary hardware for the PS3, then?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:34PM

To add on Gravis' comments, the cell processor in the console has sooooo much potential that hasn't been used yet. Several colleges are using clusters of PS3s as substitutes for high end supercomputers.

Blessed are the murderous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 26, 2010 06:04PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Sony use non-proprietary
> hardware for the PS3, then?


to my knowledge there are specs for all major hardware components of the PS3, with exception to the RSX GPU(graphics processing unit) which was only given half of the specs as using it's 3d components is strictly off limits. some people have managed to get a little bit more access to the restricted parts of it only to have there hacks fixed quickly in a firmware update.



eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To add on Gravis' comments, the cell processor in
> the console has sooooo much potential that hasn't
> been used yet.


not true. some companies that have adapted to the "new" way of programming and made excellent games that are multithreaded and computationally intensive. LittleBigPlanet is a good example. has everyone exploited it to the max? no. is it difficult? it's a different way of thinking, so if you are stuck in a single way of thinking, yes. it's difficult enough for people that Sony has decided to not use that architecture for the PS4.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 26, 2010 06:13PM

Well, IBM is using the cell processor in their new mainframes http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/IBM-Mainframes-Go-3D/, and a physics professor turned a group of PS3s into a black hole simulator. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28895353/

Blessed are the murderous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh and co. ()
Date: January 26, 2010 09:48PM

z
Attachments:
bliss2.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 26, 2010 10:40PM

PS3 NOT playing PS2 games? What a cheap assed move on Sony's behalf. At least the Wii is fully back-compatible (For the games not on discs, you can download them, so you can play every generation of Nintendo).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 27, 2010 12:02AM

eesh and co. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> z

edit by Cary: Personal attack imagery (albeit hilarious) removed.

Blessed are the murderous.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 01:22PM by Cary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:17AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS3 NOT playing PS2 games? What a cheap assed move
> on Sony's behalf.


there are good reasons as to why they cut support.
  • adding original hardware was expensive
  • the software version very buggy
  • they were trying to force developers to stop making PS2 games.


it just boils down to money. however, you may note that PSX games are fully supported because they do not suffer from any of the issue above.

reasons developers didnt want to go to the ps3:
  • already familiar with developing for PS2
  • devs found PS3 to be difficult to program for.
  • ps3 dev kit was expensive
  • people with ps3s could play ps2 games.


how to force people to stop developing for ps2.
  • make ps3 dev kits cheaper
  • remove ps2 compatibility support for ps3


if you notice, the ps2 gamer were supported when it first came out but as time passed they reduced and then dropped support for it completely. i think it was a rather good business choice to gradually remove support for ps2 games. however, i think it would be nice if they added emulation based ps2 support back in now that everyone has changed over. i understand that they dont do this because it has no benefit for them and requires the use of time money to implement and support.


> At least the Wii is fully back-compatible

why nintendo wii has backwards compatibility.
  • it's the same hardware as the GameCube except faster and a different controller, hence it's nickname GameCube 1.5
  • programming for the nintendo wii was the same as programming for the GameCube
  • the dev kits were inexpensive
  • nintendo wii was selling like hotcakes.
> (For the games not on discs, you
> can download them, so you can play every
> generation of Nintendo).


emulation of the NES is quite simple, the SNES system has been documented and emulated by many people and i honestly wouldnt be surprised if they were using a modified core an open source SNES emulator. with the nintendo 64, i suspect they may have just recompiled the games to use the nintendo wii hardware but i am unsure of this because i dont know if they have non-nintendo made games for download.


microsoft on the other hand completely ignored backwards compatibility which was a serious "fuck off" for both consumers and developers. more recently the banning of over half a million consoles from online play (which people pay for!) was more of a "fuck you" than anything else. i think microsoft hates their customers and developers.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: pow ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:23AM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> eesh and co. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > z

Mr. Denim,

Posting pics of your face shopped into a girls' won't make me think that it's not you or, because I don't give a shit about inkahootz or you. Quit posting as the aol troll and admit your shit. Then, maybe I'll consider it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: pow ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:29AM

I must also admit, Mr. Denim, that I am aching for your package. I think I need a bone marrow transplant. I won't stop flirting with you until you admit to playing Twister with me and my sister.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Melissa ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:33AM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ThePackLeader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > PS3 NOT playing PS2 games? What a cheap assed
> move
> > on Sony's behalf.
>
> there are good reasons as to why they cut
> support.
> adding original hardware was expensivethe software
> version very buggythey were trying to force
> developers to stop making PS2 games.
>
> it just boils down to money. however, you may
> note that PSX games are fully supported because
> they do not suffer from any of the issue above.
>
> reasons developers didnt want to go to the ps3:
> already familiar with developing for PS2devs found
> PS3 to be difficult to program for.ps3 dev kit was
> expensivepeople with ps3s could play ps2 games.
>
> how to force people to stop developing for ps2.
> make ps3 dev kits cheaperremove ps2 compatibility
> support for ps3
>
> if you notice, the ps2 gamer were supported when
> it first came out but as time passed they reduced
> and then dropped support for it completely. i
> think it was a rather good business choice to
> gradually remove support for ps2 games. however,
> i think it would be nice if they added emulation
> based ps2 support back in now that everyone has
> changed over. i understand that they dont do this
> because it has no benefit for them and requires
> the use of time money to implement and support.
>
>
> > At least the Wii is fully back-compatible
>
> why nintendo wii has backwards compatibility.
> it's the same hardware as the GameCube except
> faster and a different controller, hence it's
> nickname GameCube 1.5programming for the nintendo
> wii was the same as programming for the
> GameCubethe dev kits were inexpensivenintendo wii
> was selling like hotcakes.
>
>
> > (For the games not on discs, you
> > can download them, so you can play every
> > generation of Nintendo).
>
> emulation of the NES is quite simple, the SNES
> system has been documented and emulated by many
> people and i honestly wouldnt be surprised if they
> were using a modified core an open source SNES
> emulator. with the nintendo 64, i suspect they
> may have just recompiled the games to use the
> nintendo wii hardware but i am unsure of this
> because i dont know if they have non-nintendo made
> games for download.
>
>
> microsoft on the other hand completely ignored
> backwards compatibility which was a serious "fuck
> off" for both consumers and developers. more
> recently the banning of over half a million
> consoles from online play (which people pay for!)
> was more of a "fuck you" than anything else. i
> think microsoft hates their customers and
> developers.

I like how you broke that down. It makes sense to non-technical types like me. That has been my biggest gripe about the PS3, which is why I have not bought one. You at least made it a little more understandable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being vague is almost as fun as that other thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:42AM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
>
> microsoft on the other hand completely ignored
> backwards compatibility which was a serious "fuck
> off" for both consumers and developers. more
> recently the banning of over half a million
> consoles from online play (which people pay for!)
> was more of a "fuck you" than anything else. i
> think microsoft hates their customers and
> developers.



And this is why Sony is going to win at the competition between consoles. Between Microsoft's treatment of its customers and the reliability problems that have plagued the Xbox 360, I would be surprised if they last for another console generation.

If you want entry-level, get a Wii. Serious gamers get the PS3.

Blessed are the murderous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: fuck you aol troll ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:46AM

pow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I must also admit, Mr. Denim, that I am aching for
> your package. I think I need a bone marrow
> transplant. I won't stop flirting with you until
> you admit to playing Twister with me and my
> sister.
Attachments:
bloodyblisterSTFU.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:54AM

Melissa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like how you broke that down. It makes sense to
> non-technical types like me. That has been my
> biggest gripe about the PS3, which is why I have
> not bought one. You at least made it a little
> more understandable.


you can buy one of the original models (CECHA01) online (see ebay.com) that have the hardware based emulation which has perfect accuracy for most games.

model comparison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_comparison

if you are interested, here's an ebay search (tried to get rid of all the repair part bs) but be sure to check that they say it works: http://desc.shop.ebay.com/Systems-/139971/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&LH_Price=100..%40c&Platform=Sony%2520PlayStation%25203&_nkw=60GB+PS3+CECHA01+-%22as+is%22+-broken+-part+-supply+-assembly+-KES+-40GB+-80GB&_catref=1&_dmpt=Video_Games&_fln=1&_sop=15


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: Pig and Pepper ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:57AM

fuck you aol troll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I must also admit, Mr. Denim, that I am aching
> for
> > your package. I think I need a bone marrow
> > transplant. I won't stop flirting with you
> until
> > you admit to playing Twister with me and my
> > sister.

Here is a little riddle for all you critical thinkers out there. Is the aol troll still the aol troll if he doesn't put in a fake aol mail address? You sound angry. Are you angry or mad?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: duck duck eesh ()
Date: January 27, 2010 02:01AM

Pig and Pepper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fuck you aol troll Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > pow Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I must also admit, Mr. Denim, that I am
> aching
> > for
> > > your package. I think I need a bone marrow
> > > transplant. I won't stop flirting with you
> > until
> > > you admit to playing Twister with me and my
> > > sister.
>
> Here is a little riddle for all you critical
> thinkers out there. Is the aol troll still the aol
> troll if he doesn't put in a fake aol mail
> address?

No, he'd have switched to one of his other personas, but it is still this guy:
Attachments:
blistersduck1.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Hacked for First Time
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 31, 2010 11:36PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MrMephisto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oh, please, nobody wants to play Pong anymore.
>
>
>
>
> MrMephisto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seriously, though, let's say you do the hack.
> How
> > do you interface with it? Wouldn't you have to
> > load an OS on it to do anything?
>
> unless the hack allows you to manipulate the
> current OS, yes you would have to load an OS.
> however, i would like to remind you that the
> current OS on the PS3 is linux. specifically,
> they use the XrossMediaBar for the interface.
> however, since the PS3 has bluetooth and USB ports
> and HDMI video/audio output, you can easily use a
> mouse and keyboard while connecting HDMI to a
> monitor that has an audio out (headphone) jack.
> i've been able to do this in the past since i have
> the original one playstation 3 model. it's
> completely usable as a full fledged computer.


Apparently so!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/u-s-air-force-building-supercomputer-from-ps3s/1387199

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **    **  **     **   *******   ********  
 ***   ***  ***   **  **     **  **     **  **     ** 
 **** ****  ****  **  **     **  **         **     ** 
 ** *** **  ** ** **  **     **  ********   **     ** 
 **     **  **  ****   **   **   **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **   ***    ** **    **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **    **     ***      *******   ********  
This forum powered by Phorum.