HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Negro.
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 25, 2010 02:51PM

http://www.thegrio.com/2010/01/the-word-negro-in-2010-census-form-offends-some-blacks.php

When did this become a bad word? I would think being called "black" when you're clearly a shade of brown would be more insulting.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Agent Provacateur ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:02PM

Thanks for the incite. Did the dry cleaner get you those white bed sheets back yet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:08PM



__________________________________
That's not a ladybug, that's a cannapiller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Loudon COunty Home ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:14PM

did someone say danger?


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:18PM

Agent Provacateur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the incite. Did the dry cleaner get you
> those white bed sheets back yet?

No. Apparently, it's really hard to remove blood stains from white robes, especially when they're a blend of cotton and synthetic materials.

Idiot.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:34PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agent Provacateur Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for the incite. Did the dry cleaner get
> you
> > those white bed sheets back yet?
>
> No. Apparently, it's really hard to remove blood
> stains from white robes, especially when they're a
> blend of cotton and synthetic materials.


Also, the burnt wood smell from the flaming crosses is hard to remove without Fabreeze.

__________________________________
That's not a ladybug, that's a cannapiller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: JuJu Fruit ()
Date: January 25, 2010 03:37PM

Cotton?!? Man, that is racist.

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> No. Apparently, it's really hard to remove blood
> stains from white robes, especially when they're a
> blend of cotton and synthetic materials.
>
> Idiot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: January 25, 2010 04:12PM

Does that mean the United Negro College Fund is a racist institution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Fund ()
Date: January 25, 2010 04:14PM

I hope not because a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does that mean the United Negro College Fund is a
> racist institution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Negroe ()
Date: January 25, 2010 05:04PM

colored became negro became black became Afro/African-American became/becoming (?) black

Short explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro#In_English

Detailed explanation: http://www.soc.iastate.edu/soc522a/PDF%20readings/Smith.pdf

Transition from black to African-American to black: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/opinion/27dilday.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 25, 2010 06:56PM

I move that we nominate a prominent member of the black community (Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, whoever) to come out once a year (sort of like Groundhog Day) and announce what is and is not currently acceptable to the community formerly known as black.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: January 25, 2010 07:00PM

For what it's worth, all the brothers I talk to prefer to be called black, if any distinction is to be made at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 25, 2010 07:02PM

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For what it's worth, all the brothers I talk to
> prefer to be called black, if any distinction is
> to be made at all.

"Dark skinned" and "light skinned" is acceptable for use, too, apparently. When describing a black person to a black person, they usually ask for that distinction, in my experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: January 25, 2010 08:29PM

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does that mean the United Negro College Fund is a
> racist institution?

No, but the United Negro Pizza Fund is.
Attachments:
pizzafund.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Melissa ()
Date: January 25, 2010 11:49PM

Hee hee... I'd give him a couple of bucks. I like creative signs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being vague is almost as fun as that other thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 26, 2010 01:03AM

"Negro" wasn't even considered politically incorrect until the 1990's. I myself refuse to say that "African American" bullshit, I just say "Black".

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: January 26, 2010 01:23AM

Yeah, what if you're talking about a black guy from England, or France? White people are classified as 'caucasian'...so what are black people? I mean, people from Asia are classified scientifically as 'mongoloid', and we use that word as an insult...so all these terms are really just used based on the popular interpretation of the time. For whatever reason, it's been decided that 'negro' is a pejorative term. And you can call a rug or a vase 'oriental', but you can't call a person oriental. It's just silly, I tell you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:59AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.thegrio.com/2010/01/the-word-negro-in-2
> 010-census-form-offends-some-blacks.php
>
> When did this become a bad word? I would think
> being called "black" when you're clearly a shade
> of brown would be more insulting.


really dude? you cant understand it? its just like any word that people take offense to. The word kike was originally the word for circle (i forget what language), a circle was used to notify that the person entering the country was jewish. Now originally it was not offensive, but through the ways it was used became so. I guess to me, its not the word but the meaning behind it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:02PM

it's ironic because negro is just spanish for black which is the first on the list.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 02:02PM by Gravis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: true ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:03PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's ironic because negro is just spanish for
> black which is the first on the list.


+1

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: Gayola ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:07PM

Even crayola uses Negro on the black crayon. Ironic, that crayons are phallic shaped - you get a big black cock in everybox.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: i > u ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:10PM

Nobody has pissed and/or moaned about the NAACP being so named...why not use "Colored Person" on the census form? All this racism is makin' me thirsty. Throw me a Negro Modello.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: FoolSmacker ()
Date: January 27, 2010 12:17AM

i > u Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody has pissed and/or moaned about the NAACP
> being so named...why not use "Colored Person" on
> the census form? All this racism is makin' me
> thirsty. Throw me a Negro Modello.


Well, they can't change it to "African American" can they?

NAAAA!

---------------------------------
Who knows from whence he came, and who knows where he goes, dot dot dot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:14AM

Mr. Misery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, what if you're talking about a black guy
> from England, or France? White people are
> classified as 'caucasian'...so what are black
> people? I mean, people from Asia are classified
> scientifically as 'mongoloid', and we use that
> word as an insult...so all these terms are really
> just used based on the popular interpretation of
> the time. For whatever reason, it's been decided
> that 'negro' is a pejorative term. And you can
> call a rug or a vase 'oriental', but you can't
> call a person oriental. It's just silly, I tell
> you.


Calling a Pacific Asian individual "Oriental" is not an insult, and I have no idea why some people believe that it is. In America, obviously when we say "Asian", we're talking about "Oriental" people, but in terms of actual geography, "Asian" also encompasses Pakis, Afghanis, Iranians (Who are specifically Persian), Russians, etc.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:17AM

I recall a story, where this white kid from South Africa/Tanzania came to live in the U.S. in the 1970's. He told everyone who asked that he was African. Then one day, some black kids jumped him and beat the crap out of him, while saying: "Hey white boy, you ain't no African, we are". It was ironic as hell, because none of those black kids has ever set foot in Africa, but the White kid was 2nd generation at least.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: i > u ()
Date: January 27, 2010 10:22AM

Charlize Theron is an African-American. What of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negro.
Posted by: FoolSmacker ()
Date: January 27, 2010 01:51PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall a story, where this white kid from South
> Africa/Tanzania came to live in the U.S. in the
> 1970's. He told everyone who asked that he was
> African. Then one day, some black kids jumped him
> and beat the crap out of him, while saying: "Hey
> white boy, you ain't no African, we are". It was
> ironic as hell, because none of those black kids
> has ever set foot in Africa, but the White kid was
> 2nd generation at least.


There was a case a few years ago where a white kid from South Africa tried to join an African-American club at his school, and was not allowed to.

Then there was the story about the girl who got in trouble for questioning her teacher's intelligence when the teacher stated that Cleopatra was an African-American.

---------------------------------
Who knows from whence he came, and who knows where he goes, dot dot dot.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********  ********   ********   **     **   *******  
 **    **  **     **  **     **  **     **  **     ** 
     **    **     **  **     **  **     **  **        
    **     ********   ********   **     **  ********  
   **      **         **          **   **   **     ** 
   **      **         **           ** **    **     ** 
   **      **         **            ***      *******  
This forum powered by Phorum.