HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The job application process is a dehumanizing waste of time.
Posted by: Indeed is a crock of shit ()
Date: June 17, 2018 08:03PM

Fuck the job application process. It's miserable and exploitative. Here are the steps:

APPLY FOR A JOB!

This part sucks. Monster.com, indeed.com, on-site listings. It's the same shit every time. Click on the job, then attach your resume. Then input ALL THE SAME INFORMATION again. Painstakingly. Takes 30-40 minutes to do 1 application. For a job you're not even likely to be called in for an interview. Inefficient and infuriating.

INTERVIEW!

I've been to about 40-50 interviews throughout the last two years. It's remarkable how PAINFUL the entire process is. Let me ask you this: can you make a friend off of one conversation? No? Well how do you expect to get hired off of one conversation? And they always ask the most ridiculous questions: where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is your greatest strength? Tell me a moment where you demonstrated leadership qualities.

I live in silicon valley. The interviews here are fucking ridiculous: "calculate the average cost of owning a vacuum cleaner. Suppose a vacuuming company offered the ability to vacuum other people's houses for $5 a room. Is this economically viable?" And they don't even let me use a piece of paper. Jesus christ. Know what the job was? OFFICE ASSISTANT. Why the fuck are you asking me this? And they look so smug while you're mumbling and stumbling through your words trying to answer the most asinine of questions. We get it, you're good at math, I'm not. As if I didn't feel shitty already.

THE WAIT!

Here's the best part. You go home after the interview, and you think about what happened. You feel it's 50/50: maybe you got the job, maybe you didn't. It doesn't matter. You wonder if you should begin the process anew and start applying again. A day goes by, nothing in your inbox. Another day goes by, nothing in your inbox. 4 days become a week. A week becomes 2 weeks. FINALLY, an email is sent to you: "Unfortunately, we have decided to move onto other candidates that are more suitable for this position..."

Here's the reason why they don't answer you the following day: they don't want you as their first pick. They want another guy. But they don't know if their first pick wants them as much as they want him. So they'll try to seal the deal with him before moving onto the other people. Which is why you're sitting down on your chair staring at your inbox feeling hope drain day by day., all the while seeing everyone else somehow get jobs because daddy happens to have a friend who does x at x company.

And the saddest part of all? These jobs pay around 30k - 50k. That's barely enough for rent, food, electricity, insurance. They have us fighting like rats over a scrap of cheese for the right of making a livable wage. The jobs aren't fanciful either: you're either an excel monkey, a printer fixer, a receptionist. No wonder the liquor stores are packed with people trying to buy a powerball ticket. Even the daydream of winning is better than the reality.

You work your heart out to get anything out of this, but everyone around you treats you with pity and disgust. They think you're a bum leeching off of their generosity.

Fuck the job process.

UPDATE 1: Well, just got another rejection email (first one of the year! whoo!). But on the bright side, thank you for the gold, internet stranger. I wrote this post after driving 1.5 hours to a company site where they placed me in a windowless room for 5 hours to be interviewed by 7 different people. I swear I was so close I could taste the salary. Alas, that's life. Thanks for the advice and support, everyone. I live with my parents and can't afford getting out of SV (for now). Nothing more for all of us to do but to push against the wall with our worthless wretched selves until something gives or there's nothing more to push. Fuck them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The job application process is a dehumanizing waste of time.
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 17, 2018 08:23PM

]\
Attachments:
i-hate-job-interviews-its-like-why-shouldwe-hire-you-3983362.png

Posted by: Hey it's 2018 now ()
Date: June 17, 2018 09:15PM

Da fuk? Is your name William Moreno? Who even needs to look at job listings these days? It's a seller's market and employers are burning up most people's voicemail with with job offers.

Posted by: fr;lsx ()
Date: June 17, 2018 09:17PM

Hey it's 2018 now Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Da fuk? Is your name William Moreno? Who even
> needs to look at job listings these days? It's a
> seller's market and employers are burning up most
> people's voicemail with with job offers.

No, it really isn't. What world are you living in? Employers aren't hiring unless you're under 25 with 15 years experience and a PMP, MBA and are knowledgeable in SharePoint, Munis and java.

Posted by: Everyone is hiring ()
Date: June 17, 2018 09:34PM

fr;lsx Wrote:
> Hey it's 2018 now Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Da fuk? Is your name William Moreno? Who even
> > needs to look at job listings these days? It's
> a
> > seller's market and employers are burning up
> most
> > people's voicemail with with job offers.
>
>
> No, it really isn't. What world are you living in?
> Employers aren't hiring unless you're under 25
> with 15 years experience and a PMP, MBA and are
> knowledgeable in SharePoint, Munis and java.

The company I work for has literally hundreds of open jobs. I get several unsolicited calls from recruiters every week and I'm well over 25, don't have a PMP, can barely spell Sharepoint, don't care to spell Java, and have no idea what a "Munis" is. There definitely are a lot of Java jobs, and it's not difficult to learn.

Posted by: why ()
Date: June 17, 2018 09:46PM

Why should you hire me?

Because as a typical Manager in Fairfax, your hired because your dishonest, your lazy, and too un-skilled to get any real work done yourself.

Posted by: fly on paper ()
Date: June 17, 2018 10:04PM

Everyone is hiring Wrote:
> fr;lsx Wrote:
> -----
> > Hey it's 2018 now Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Da fuk? Is your name William Moreno? Who
> even
> > > needs to look at job listings these days?
> It's
> > a
> > > seller's market and employers are burning up
> > most
> > > people's voicemail with with job offers.
> >
> >
> > No, it really isn't. What world are you living
> in?
> > Employers aren't hiring unless you're under 25
> > with 15 years experience and a PMP, MBA and are
> > knowledgeable in SharePoint, Munis and java.
>
> The company I work for has literally hundreds of
> open jobs.

They may be hiring, but who's getting the jobs? Im employed, but not making much. I've been applying to various jobs in different industries for three years now. I've applied to over 200 jobs, and in that span I've gotten about 5 interviews, I've taken about 4 pre-interview exams without getting a call for an interview and about 2 job offers. One of which I accepted. My experience seems to be typical based off of conversations with others I've had. I know people that have Masters and even Phd in fields like economtetrics, International Relations and other really marketable degrees.

Posted by: TONS of jobs available ()
Date: June 17, 2018 10:16PM

Seriously, recruiters are trolling LinkedIn like there's no tomorrow. I'm looking to hire people. Anyone with a pulse can get a job in today's market. Try searching here:

https://gdit.com/careers/
https://csra.com/careers

Posted by: Didayd ()
Date: October 29, 2019 05:35PM

thank's a lot

Posted by: Kinda but you need ()
Date: October 29, 2019 07:53PM

I like job interviews. Maybe you need a new recruiter.

Posted by: Didayd ()
Date: November 04, 2019 04:59AM

Guys, I have a question. Has anyone ordered a resume on such services? - https://resumeget.com/resume-services-near-me . Many forums write that it helps to speed up the job search process and helps to find a good job. I doubt it. Therefore, I would like to discuss this issue with someone.

Posted by: Max Couper ()
Date: June 29, 2020 03:23PM

I don't agree. If you want to find new job you should be prepared for 100%. It is not so simple but normal for modern world. Personally I recommend you to order professional resume and search vacancies online. In the same time you should spend all time on preparing to the interview. I also want to hire military resume writers on AccuroResumes because I don't know how to create such resume..

Posted by: Boo fn hoo ()
Date: June 29, 2020 09:26PM

The problem is he lives in Silicon Valley...stupid, Jiz wang,libtard is just plain lazy

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.