HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
GOP Worried Ex-Prisoner Blankenship Will Blow Election in WV Coal Country Next Week
Posted by: Roy Moore Flashbacks ()
Date: April 18, 2018 01:10PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/17/west-virginia-senate-blankenship-republicans-530492

Senate Republicans are escalating their attacks on West Virginia Senate GOP candidate Don Blankenship, increasingly worried that the coal baron and ex-prisoner will blow a winnable race against Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin.

Republicans see West Virginia as a prime pickup opportunity in November, given President Donald Trump’s huge popularity there. But they say the multimillionaire Blankenship, running in a tight three-way primary against Rep. Evan Jenkins (R-W.Va.) and state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey, is indefensible as a candidate after serving a year in prison for conspiring to violate mine safety violations. Twenty-nine miners died at his company’s Upper Big Branch mine in 2010.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GOP Worried Ex-Prisoner Blankenship Will Blow Election in WV Coal Country Next Week
Posted by: Good Ole Black Lung ()
Date: April 18, 2018 01:22PM

On Tuesday, the former CEO of Massey Energy released an open letter to President Trump urging the administration to ignore any legislation that would strengthen punishments for mining company executives and supervisors who knowingly flout safety rules.

“Coal supervisors are not criminals, and the laws they work under today are already frightening enough for them. More onerous criminal laws will not improve mine safety,” Blankenship wrote. He said that Congress “too often wants to punish coal companies, coal operators, and coal supervisors versus helping them to improve coal mine safety.”

Blankenship, who has never admitted to any wrongdoing and never apologized to the families of the workers killed in his mine, was convicted for “conspiracy to violate mandatory federal mine safety and health standards.” The explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine was the worst coal mining disaster in 40 years, and was labeled “entirely preventable” by the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration, which investigated the accident and found that the explosion was caused by “systematic, intentional, and aggressive efforts” to conceal, rather than fix, hazards.
Attachments:
UBBMemorial.png

Re: GOP Worried Ex-Prisoner Blankenship Will Blow Election in WV Coal Country Next Week
Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: April 18, 2018 01:34PM

Mitch McConnell thinks he decides Americas senators.

Posted by: President Trump FTW!!! ()
Date: April 18, 2018 01:37PM

Attachments:
upper-big-branch-mine-disaster-shyam-nair-4-638.jpg

Posted by: Stuck in a Mine ()
Date: April 18, 2018 01:44PM

Maybe get Trump out there. I hear the miners love Trump! LMAO!!!

Posted by: LAst thing ()
Date: April 18, 2018 04:30PM

Stuck in a Mine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe get Trump out there. I hear the miners love
> Trump! LMAO!!!

Run from Trump as fast as you can.

Posted by: Laughable! ()
Date: April 20, 2018 12:39PM

It's like Republicans are trying to run the worst possible candidates so they'll lose the elections.

Posted by: Coal Miners ()
Date: April 20, 2018 07:52PM

I hear the WV's are burning all of Blankships signs or spray painting them black.

Posted by: Miners Know The Score ()
Date: April 20, 2018 08:35PM

The know who's company was to blame, and the blame goes to the one that went to prison

Date: April 20, 2018 08:44PM

Hes a good man. Will make a great senator. Mitch McConnell doesn't dictate to WV. Blankenship loves Trump.

Posted by: Wants Record Cleared LOL ()
Date: April 23, 2018 12:29PM

A motion filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Charleston claims federal prosecutors withheld information that would have assisted with Blankenship’s defense at his lengthy 2015 trial. It said the government produced reports and other information after the trial’s completion.

Blankenship, who has long maintained he didn’t get a fair trial, served one year in prison for a misdemeanor conviction related to the 2010 explosion that killed 29 men at the Upper Big Branch mine in southern West Virginia.

Posted by: contaminating drinking water ()
Date: April 24, 2018 12:35PM

Fearful that Blankenship was gaining traction, Mountain Families PAC, a super PAC overseen by strategists close to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s political operation, swung back — airing around $700,000 worth of TV ads in recent days accusing Blankenship of contaminating drinking water.

Date: April 24, 2018 12:40PM

lol, Mitch McConnell spending 700k against the biggest Trumptard in the race. Are you Trumptards going to take that lying down?

Posted by: STFU Gerry ()
Date: April 24, 2018 12:41PM

Put the meth pipe down.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.