HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Gun Laws that _Would_ have Prevented Shootings, from a 2A Supporter (me)
Posted by: conVince ()
Date: February 20, 2018 02:09PM

Lets be adults Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ive written all my representatives and will keep
> writing - we need to get high capacity mags
> offline immediately. I dont blame liberals or
> conservatives or the NRA. I really do not care
> who is to blame I just want to fix the problem.

"The problem". Let's talk about that. In Chikago alone there were, so far _this year_ as of the Florida HS shooting, 63 homicides among 297 shootings (ref http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-weekend-shootings-violence-20180219-story.html) .

Almost four times the number of deaths, most of those due to handguns, yet you want to ban black rifles with large magazines, and you only wrote Congress after the Florida high school shooting. I don't blame you, I blame the liberal media for bringing up gun violence when it's a school and not when the victims are several times more "brown" people. Demokrats would have to "target" their own constituents when they acknowledge why the inner cities have more shooting deaths... not going to happen.

Here is my 4-part REAL adult proposal that would have prevented the Florida attack, the Las Vegas attack, and several others:

1) Take the definition of whatever was banned during the 1990's Assault Weapons Ban and apply that to what may not be purchased before someone is 21 years old (making the rifle purchase age even with handguns and alcohol)

2) Federal and state laws to require that all involuntary mental health commitments, or other authority declarations of a mental health issue including the US military with its members, are reported to NICS to prevent firearm purchases

3) To maintain due process, have a defined procedure in place for a citizen to have full firearm ownership and purchasing rights restored by a judge if the judge is satisfied all treatment has been successful and no reasonable threat from the citizen exists

4) "Universal background check", defined as a NICS check for private firearms sales. To remedy concerns of creating a gun registration system, no identifying information about the firearm purchased is recorded, only an up-or-down indicator on whether the buyer is eligible to purchase a firearm

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Gun Laws that _Would_ have Prevented Shootings, from a 2A Supporter (me)
Posted by: Gund Laws do Nothing sadly ()
Date: February 20, 2018 03:25PM

Sorry it will not prevent someone who just recently snapped from going mad with a firearm or prevent one from getting a firearm ..
Forgetting the black market and you are forgetting .. that once someone turns evil, only equalizing power will stop them.

Re: New Gun Laws that _Would_ have Prevented Shootings, from a 2A Supporter (me)
Posted by: conVince ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:48PM

Gund Laws do Nothing sadly Wrote:
> Sorry it will not prevent someone who just
> recently snapped from going mad with a firearm or
> prevent one from getting a firearm ..
> Forgetting the black market and you are forgetting
> .. that once someone turns evil, only equalizing
> power will stop them.

All true and I agree, but the measures I listed aren't talking about those kases. Mine would have prevented Florida (kid bought gun a year prior and had many mental issues known to authorities) and Las Vegas shooter (US Air Force failed to notify NICS).

The litmus test to apply to any new gun law is what tragedy it would have prevented had it been in place. Rarely kan demokrats answer that, mine do and are 2A-friendly.

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 20, 2018 05:51PM

In a society with large amounts of firearms in private hands IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to prevent a certain amount of gun violence so long as firearms remain in private hands. In a society where there is a very strong belief by a large number of people in private ownership of guns, a prohibition of gun ownership isn't a realistic policy, and would turn into a new version of prohibition or the war on drugs. The goal should be to adopt REASONABLE restrictions on gun ownership and use which would have the effect of REDUCING (not eliminating) gun violence.

I do not agree with your politics generally conVince, but I do agree you have presented some reasonable proposals. I would suggest a few tweaks:

1. The law should subject manufacturers and sellers of devices which alter the capacity or rate of fire of firearms to the same regulations which govern firearms with those devices attached. The manufacturer of a bump stock or an extended magazine should be subject to the same restrictions as the manufacturer of a weapon which incorporated those devices.

2. Better reporting is a useful first step to keep a prohibited person from acquiring new firearms, but it does not prevent them from using weapons they already own or have access to. Local police need to do follow ups to verify prohibited persons have turned over their weapons to others, and that persons living with prohibited persons have secured their own firearms.

3. Reporting should be done for all transfers of ownership of firearms, and not just sales. It should also apply to employees who are issued firearms. There could be pre and post transfer options to deal with transfers between private individuals that could not be done through the instant verification system.

4. There should be mandatory reporting of all lost or stolen weapons.

5. There should be a procedure for allowing those who were denied the right to acquire firearms to appeal that determination. I would also argue it should be extended to allow those who were lawfully prohibited from owning guns to regain that right.

Posted by: A Good Guy With A Gun? ()
Date: February 20, 2018 05:59PM

Gund Laws do Nothing sadly Wrote:
> Sorry it will not prevent someone who just
> recently snapped from going mad with a firearm or
> prevent one from getting a firearm ..
> Forgetting the black market and you are forgetting
> .. that once someone turns evil, only equalizing
> power will stop them.

Wayne LaPierre. Avoided draft(#97-1969) due to mental illness(doctors note). A true American hero!

Posted by: New laws required ()
Date: February 20, 2018 08:16PM

Make it illegal for expelled students to carry AR15s into a school and kill students.

Bam! The murder problem is solved.

Posted by: Sorry You Dont get it ()
Date: February 20, 2018 08:19PM

>and apply that to what may not be purchased before someone is 21 years old

So they cant have a pistol grip unless the firearm was made in America or had 5 American made parts put in it. They still fired as fast and they could still be bumped up to full auto

Make it simple no assault firearms for people under 21 same as a handgun, and all assault firearms must be transferred thru FFL dealers

Yes congress should ban the bump stocks and other full auto tricks and gimmicks, It undermines the NFA act of 1934 and is creating problems which give liberals am uplift for gun bans

I would say Vegas and Fla, was a problem and I'm the NRA

Posted by: VK7JC ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:09PM

No law is going to "make it so that ______" fill in the blank.

The kid could have used pretty much any gun to kill those people.
Nothing special about the scary "assault weapon" relevant there.

For example, he could have used a six-shooting revolver.
It would have taken a few more minutes, because he would have had
to reload a few times. But there was PLENTY of time to reload.
Or, he could have used any modern handgun -- it only takes 2 seconds
to switch magazines. And there's no way to prevent anyone from acquiring one.

The only thing that will prevent school shootings is making the school safe.
The only thing that stops a gun is another gun.
(Details about armed guards, allowing certain people to carry, and whatever
the implementation strategy is are left as an exercise to the reader.)

As for the "gun show loophole", here's something you might not realize.
Criminals don't get their guns from gun shows.
Dealers at gun shows don't sell guns to people they think will be trouble.
Florida teen did not get his gun at a gun show (we know what store he got it at).
Sandy Hook teen simply stole his guns.
etc.

Whenever you think of a law to prevent gun violence, you must always
remember ONE crucial immutable fact: Criminals and loonies will ignore the law.
If they can't ignore it, they will circumvent it every time.
There is no stopping them.
Except for shooting them when they show up at your school.

Posted by: ya believe this tard? ()
Date: February 21, 2018 12:15AM

A Good Guy With A Gun? Wrote:
> Gund Laws do Nothing sadly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sorry it will not prevent someone who just
> > recently snapped from going mad with a firearm
> or
> > prevent one from getting a firearm ..
> > Forgetting the black market and you are
> forgetting
> > .. that once someone turns evil, only
> equalizing
> > power will stop them.
>
> Wayne LaPierre. Avoided draft(#97-1969) due to
> mental illness(doctors note). A true American
> hero!

So that means the 2nd amendment doesn't count.

Posted by: No guns for Zoloft Zombies ()
Date: February 21, 2018 12:40AM

I don't know why this is so hard.

Posted by: Good Luck Stopping It ()
Date: February 21, 2018 12:50AM

Bump stocks are shit, they are not accurate and you can “bump” any semi automatic gun if you know how. Bump stocks are not the problem, people are.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.