HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery tomorrow would you still live in Fairfax County?
Posted by: FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL ()
Date: November 23, 2009 02:28PM

If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery tomorrow would you still live in Fairfax County or would you move somewhere else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery tomorrow would you still live in Fairfax County?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 23, 2009 02:45PM

I'd keep my place here but also buy a few condos in the cities i like around the US. Then I'd just travel around from place to place, only staying in town for as long as I felt like, before moving to the next place. I'd forsee myself spending most of my time on the west coast, but definitely would be here alot too because it's where most of my friends live.

Re: If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery tomorrow would you still live in Fairfax County?
Date: November 23, 2009 03:00PM

I'd stay here too.

But I would no longer have tons of used fireworks debris and a dead squirrel buried in my back yard I would probably pay somebody to clean all of it up so that I could throw a few outdoor metal concerts back there.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:09PM

I would move out to Middleburg with my "new money" and just live a white trash lifestyle to piss those people off.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:16PM

I would buy the home next to Vince and move in these guys
Attachments:
1122.jpg

Date: November 23, 2009 03:39PM

Dude wearing the overalls/suspenders...

Nice hair.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:58PM

FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.treehugger.com/us-money-photo.jpg
>
> If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery
> tomorrow would you still live in Fairfax County or
> would you move somewhere else?

I would buy an enormous house in Great Falls or north Arlington.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: November 23, 2009 04:55PM

Tim45 Wrote:
> I would buy the home next to Vince and move in
> these guys

I imagine they might use one of these on a regular basis, so lets throw in a chicken farm on his neighbors property also lol...

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: November 23, 2009 06:40PM

MEGADETH on Monday!!!!!!

PRIEST on Tuesday!!!!!

AC/DC on Wednesday!!!!!

KISS on Thursday!!!!!

SLAYER on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of this would take place on huge gigantic stage in my backyard.
There would be a wall of speakers 6 stories high.

I would probably have to pay off the FCPD along with several neighbors for them to ignore all of the noise.

It would be worth it though.

Money well spent.

Posted by: Ducky ()
Date: November 23, 2009 06:50PM

Pay taxes on it in FAIRFAX?? NEVER! Ducky

Date: November 23, 2009 06:55PM

Ducky Wrote:
> Pay taxes on it in FAIRFAX?? NEVER! Ducky

I am sure there are ways around that if you find yourself a good lawyer.

Posted by: Porky ()
Date: November 23, 2009 07:16PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Tim45 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would buy the home next to Vince and move in
> > these guys
>
>
> I imagine they might use one of these on a regular
> basis, so lets throw in a chicken farm on his
> neighbors property also lol...
>
>

Chickens are alright for the noise factor but if you really want to
do it up right, start a "free range" pig farm and make sure its upwind.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: November 23, 2009 10:28PM

FAIRFAX COUNTYS MASTER OF METAL Wrote:
> http://www.treehugger.com/us-money-photo.jpg
>
> If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery
> tomorrow would you still live in Fairfax County or
> would you move somewhere else?

I'd Move somewhere else. Probably get condos in multiple locations.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: November 24, 2009 08:24AM

Is there some unusually large jackpot going on right now? I don't follow these things.

Posted by: BillyBob99 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 10:24AM

Ducky Wrote:
> Pay taxes on it in FAIRFAX?? NEVER! Ducky

Umm...Fairfax doesn't have an income tax so it doesn't really matter. You pay real estate tax on the house you buy but you can be a billionaire and if you have a $200k house you pay the same as a regular joe with a $200k house.

Sure, there may be some other minor taxes but nothing income based. Everywhere in Virginia is going to be the same and seeing how you are a resident on the date of the drawing you can't move to escape taxation from the Commonwealth.

Date: November 24, 2009 10:52AM

Snapple Wrote:
> Is there some unusually large jackpot going on
> right now? I don't follow these things.

Every few months there usually is.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 10:56AM

You could take the payout in installments and then move to another state like Nevada to avoid state income taxes. You still have federal to pay though.

RE: eesh,lizzie,Mr.Misery and the rest of you
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: November 24, 2009 11:52AM

white-space.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:39AM by WingNut.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 24, 2009 08:11PM

Nope.

Posted by: BillyBob99 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 07:47AM

Tim45 Wrote:
> You could take the payout in installments and then
> move to another state like Nevada to avoid state
> income taxes. You still have federal to pay
> though.

No you can't. Any winnings from the Virginia lottery are considered "Income from Virginia sources" and taxable by Virginia whether you are a resident or nonresident. In fact, the lottery will automatically withhold your Virginia (and Federal) taxes.

The reality, if you have a winning Virginia Lottery ticket you are going to pay income tax to Virginia. You can use some strategies to delay taxation but that is just about all you can do.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: November 25, 2009 08:16AM

white-space.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 09:59AM by WingNut.

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: November 27, 2009 10:35PM

No. Virginia is required to disclose the names of anyone who wins an award large enough that you have to claim it at the VA Lottery offices.

If you won the mega millions, your name would be published, and you would be instantly hounded by friends, family, and neighbors.

If I won, I would arrange investments strategies, *THEN* claim the prize. I'd rent a room at a hotel in the area I wanted to move to, find a place, buy it, and then sell my house and move my things out without ever coming back home.

Shit, depending on the lottery amount, I might just donate my shit, and house, and have a big ass tax writeoff the first year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 10:35PM by boredom.

Posted by: Mofo (nli) ()
Date: November 28, 2009 03:07PM

I heard the best way to do it is to create a blind trust and claim the lotto money to that trust, this prevents your name from being so public.

Also I don't know about VA but 99% sure the tax goes to your state of residence. A congressman won a mega millions a while ago he bought in DC, but his official residence was New Hampshire so he payed no state income tax on the winnings.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 29, 2009 07:35PM

I would keep my house here, and also cop a place in South Florida, and one up North in New England, and maybe another in Alaska, and get a Huge Yacht, and a Private Jet.

In all honesty though, I'd spend some, but then I'd invest and utilize the rest in purchasing a profitable business.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: November 29, 2009 07:41PM

boredom wrote:
" Virginia is required to disclose the names of anyone who wins an award large enough that you have to claim it at the VA Lottery offices."

That is one reason why I have never bought a lottery ticket.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 29, 2009 07:49PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
>
> and also cop a place in South Florida,

Yup. One of the first things I'd do is buy a condo in Key West. The only city in the lower 48 to never have had a frost.

And then I'd live there every winter and let friends & family use it for free during the spring-summer-fall.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: November 29, 2009 08:35PM

I'd like to know some of the others...

Alias Wrote:
> That is one reason why I have never bought a
> lottery ticket.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: November 29, 2009 09:23PM

I find it somewhat vulgar.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.