HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I can't wait for LIDL to come to my town! I'm so sick of every grocery store ripping me a new ass for basic products!
Posted by: Fed up shopper, Isle 17 ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:11AM

Unfortunately, it will be a German company that will benefit from my shopping dollars, but when you look around and compare what we currently have, there's a shit pot of fuckery!

Here's a list of local shit shops that will be left feeling butt hurt, just like Hillary did as she lost the election, as soon as the LIDL stores open up!

Giant
Safeway
Food Lion Bottom Dollar /
Wal*Mart
Harris Teeter
Wegmans
Aldi
Costco

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I can't wait for LIDL to come to my town! I'm so sick of every grocery store ripping me a new ass for basic products!
Posted by: brblol ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:16AM

Will LIDI carry name-brand items, or just house-brand like Aldi?

I have been to Aldi, true the prices are cheaper since its house-brand everything, but in the grand scheme I find SHOPPERS FOOD to be the cheapest yet still getting Name-brand foods.

I mean damn not like your friends are going to go in your cabinets and fridge and laugh at you for not having Del monte canned goods or jif peanut butter or whatever- if they do you have crappy friends- they should be happy you have food to eat period!!

Plus- it is all made in the same factories anyway with different labels slapped on you are paying for the name like a "polo shirt" vs a "ralph lauren polo with the man on the horse" $20 vs $60 all because of a name/logo.

I wish LIDI success, but be warned for those racist people there will be a lot of "people of color" (meaning all shades) and "poor people" shopping there, and if you don't like it go to wegmans or whole foods and spend 3x as much for your groceries because you must have a classy atmosphere- up to you, I'll gladly mingle with whoever is KIND to me and save money to boot!

Re: I can't wait for LIDL to come to my town! I'm so sick of every grocery store ripping me a new ass for basic products!
Posted by: Stormfronter ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:22AM

brblol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> but be warned for those
> racist people there will be a lot of "people of
> color" (meaning all shades) and "poor people"
> shopping there, and if you don't like it go to
> wegmans or whole foods and spend 3x as much for

I don't go to Whole Foods b/c it costs your whole paycheck.

Wedgieman's is too far from me.

I don't like shopping in grocery stores full of towelheads, beaners and especially negroes, so I guess I should avoid these new ones.

See, the towelheads all smell bad.

The beaners let their kids run all over the place, trash everything and open the packages and eat the stuff in them.

Negroes are nasty and arrogant, they shoplift and they always fuck up the self-check lines and hold up everything. In fact, there should be a huge sign over the self check lines that says NO NEGROES or something like that.

I'll just select the Safeway or Giant where the fewest dindus shop.

Posted by: yyt3t ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:23AM

I once saw a smoking hot white woman in the new aldi in alexandria, and she was even driving a brand new mercedes. SHe was probably german and missed germany, though aldi is shit even in germany. I used to shop there when I lived in germany, on an unpaid internship so I had no choice but to shop there.

Posted by: I'm not skeered of others! ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:23AM

I am willing to mingle with the maggots if I can actually afford to feed my family. Food pricing (and housing pricing) in this area has gotten way out of hand!

It's okay to want to make money, but when the Unions are making more than the shareholders, yeah, that's messed up. I'm not a part of either.

Posted by: Attention K-mart shoppers ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:34AM

All of those stores mentioned better take heed and adjust their ways or they'll be just like K-mart, a thing of the past! Put that in your blue light special or on your blue plate special!

Posted by: FFXU online internet troll ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:36AM

It used to be the first words in English a beaner kid learned was "Attention K Mart shoppers". Since K Mart is going out of business, soon, I guess the beaner kids will be learning something else.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:40AM

Publix is moving into Virginia as well.

As far as Whole Foods being overpriced, the Fresh Market chain is ridiculously overpriced. Much worse than Whole Foods.

Posted by: The markup in food is rediculous ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:53AM

The stores have to have huge markups to cover their expenses. You ever notice when the cost of fuel goes up, so do your cost of groceries, but when the fuels costs go down, your grocery prices don't!

Posted by: trrwwqq ()
Date: May 22, 2017 12:50PM

True---same thing with air travel. The airlines jacked up their ticket prices with a surcharge for fuel a number of years ago when oil was up to $100.00 barrel and since the price of oil came down, never took off the excess price for fuel surcharges. Instead now they are charging to use the overhead rack, charging extra for a seat with enough room to fit your legs in, charging for an outside isle seat in case you have to run to the privy all the time, etc etc. on top of the old fuel charge.

Posted by: 64jje ()
Date: May 22, 2017 06:54PM

AYFKM ?

Spinach costs more per pound that the Grocery's best steak and in the worst (gouging stores) can only be found pre-sealed not loose.

you are right about that, no doubt. prices have no bearing in cost to be on the shelf. and they dedicate more shelf space to de-oderant than they do vegetables.

Posted by: Aldi ()
Date: May 22, 2017 07:00PM

brblol Wrote:
> ....

Lidl will be like Aldi, mostly in house brands. Shoppers is definitely not cheaper than Aldi.

Posted by: grow your own food, cuck! ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:59PM

Why shop for food? I don't get it!

Posted by: grow your own food, cuck! ()
Date: May 22, 2017 09:59PM

Why shop for food? I don't get it!

Posted by: Yellow Tweety Bird ()
Date: May 22, 2017 10:01PM

grow your own food, cuck! Wrote:
> Why shop for food? I don't get it!

Because I'm too lazy to tend a garden.

Posted by: brblol ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:31AM

Aldi Wrote:
> brblol Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ....
>
> Lidl will be like Aldi, mostly in house brands.
> Shoppers is definitely not cheaper than Aldi.

Thank you for that information, I am aware Aldi is cheaper than all stores in straight cost/price.

I am asking for those that just "have to have" name brand foods. If Lidl will be selling name brands they should make it known or else people will assume it is like Aldi and their store-brand everything so people may not shop there.

Not an advertising exec, just a thought! ;)

Posted by: A Safeway store manager told me ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:54AM

that after all the overhead (every cost that the store has: salaries, insurance, taxes, fees, utilities, rent, supplies) each store that he was responsible for netted between 2% & 3% profit. If your store sells $40M a year the after expense profit would be between $800,000 and $1,200,000 per store!

THAT'S A LOT OF JACK, Jack!

Posted by: If you own a chain of stores = $ ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:56AM

Ka-Ching!

Posted by: Let's do some mathematics ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:58AM

$40M divided by 12 months = $3-1/3M in sales a month. That seems low for a busy store. That's only $111,111 in sales per day.

Posted by: so what ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:59AM

brblol Wrote:
> Aldi Wrote:
> -----
> > brblol Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > ....
> >
> > Lidl will be like Aldi, mostly in house brands.
> > Shoppers is definitely not cheaper than Aldi.
>
>
> Thank you for that information, I am aware Aldi is
> cheaper than all stores in straight cost/price.
>
> I am asking for those that just "have to have"
> name brand foods. If Lidl will be selling name
> brands they should make it known or else people
> will assume it is like Aldi and their store-brand
> everything so people may not shop there.
>
> Not an advertising exec, just a thought! ;)

Aldi/Trader Joe's and Whole Foods sell mainly their own store brands. People still shop there.

Posted by: seenithappenbefore ()
Date: May 23, 2017 04:46PM

The main reason cheap food stores do not last long here is that they have to sell tons more of everything much more than the rest of the higher-priced local stores, just to keep the high rents paid here.

Besides, the new generation of Millenials would rather spend their high-end dollars on experiences than throwing it away on groceries that cost 3 times what they cost in other areas of the country. For instance I hear that groceries cost in Tennessee AFTER the 10% state tax on everything you buy, they are STILL 25% lower in cost than here. Go figure. So LIDLe's in this area will most likely have to raise it's prices here, like Trader Joe's had to, just to stay in business and keep the high rest and or taxes paid. Either that or they might buy distressed properties in areas blighted by urban neglect where only the local yokels will dare to set foot to shop in.

Posted by: random advice ()
Date: May 24, 2017 04:05PM

Ok people- let me be honest right here.

I was working @Giant Food when I was 17/18 (so ~1995/1996). I worked there for about 6 months. My car broke down and I could no longer get to work, there were no buses near the store either, I honestly tried to get to work but could not, a $25 taxi ride each way would have eaten up my 15 hours a week I got anyway.

I called the manager and said so, they accepted my resignation over the phone, asked me to put it in writing and send it to them and I did, and I never heard another peep from them. I even walked in on my final payday having been able to borrow my mom's car for the day to get there and got my final paycheck with no incident or a word from HR, even dropped off another copy of the letter I mailed and they had it in my file which they showed me they received it.... they were sad to see me go and said I could reapply when i got my car situation straightened out.

TWENTY YEARS LATER ( which made it last year) I applied for a part-time job there needing extra cash on top of my 9-5. They rejected me for being TERMINATED before. I couldn't even get to the application as soon as I put in my SSN I was rejected saying I was ineligible to apply due to past work history. How the fuck???

So I call my old store- since the takeover by AHOLD happened, of course they had NO record of me having worked in said store (when I did and I have the old paystubs to prove it I am a pack rat I admit), but they said the records were sent to some central office. I called said office in pennsylvania to inquire, they said all my file said was terminated and NO word of me having that conversation with said manager or even the copy of the letter I put in writing and mailed to them. No records except a computer printout that said TERMINATED. I argued I was not and resigned and they didn't care "we have to go by what the computer says".

I didn't know retailers kept records for THAT LONG. I thought industry standard was 10 years?

Just be careful if you take ANY retail jobs, don't resign/quit without putting it in writing, sending it CERTIFIED MAIL (although that would not have helped me now 20 years later as the USPS recycles tracking numbers after so many years but legally it would have helped if i wished to take it there), and even getting notes on the managers name, date and time you spoke, and for further assurance when you leave said job get it IN WRITING FROM HR that you ARE eligible for rehire.

Otherwise, expect them to not take you back if you ever needed to go back in the future for whatever reason. They have done it to others, I got the HR rep to admit that on the phone, during the transition those that did not have paperwork in their file were all marked TERMINATED if there was no paper proof that they were NOT. All because someone in the company "lost a lot of the old paperwork" they got lazy.

I mean I am not mad- just disappointed. I of course found a better job a week later.

Just a warning to those working retail as a "stop gap" job until they find something better. Leave on GOOD TERMS and GET IT IN WRITING FROM THEM ON THEIR LETTERHEAD YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR REHIRE.

But DO apply for Aldi/Lidi/Trader Joes, they pay the most in grocery. About $11-12 per hour to start.

Harris Teeter pays about $10 per hour to everyone- but good luck getting hours. They love to hire you, gas you up- then put you on the schedule for only 10 hours a week. No one can live off that!!

Giant- still $9 to start, I asked the cashier at the store i went to the other day.

Posted by: random advice ()
Date: May 24, 2017 04:06PM

Wanted to add- in 1996 I was making $13.50 an hour. Being 17 and a cashier.

Now you are lucky to get $10 an hour. Thanks shitty economy.

Posted by: Even if it's just temporary ()
Date: May 25, 2017 07:21AM

More competition means cheaper prices, which means I can afford to feed my family. In a one income household it's getting tougher and tougher to do!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.