HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
anyone unemployed?
Posted by: towner ()
Date: October 14, 2009 11:51AM

Just wanted to see what others are experiencing in the job market in the last few weeks. Healthcare has taken the spotlight and unemployment has been put on the backburner. Any here unemployed or has just been newly re employed? Market around here getting better, worse or staying the same?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone unemployed?
Posted by: on the job ()
Date: October 14, 2009 11:59AM

more gov't jobs, but the lag time from application to actually starting is still abysmally long.

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:02PM

i have two jobs

Posted by: jamacian guy ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:06PM

I have fifteen jobs, mon.

Date: October 14, 2009 12:07PM

Also interested in how many people are moving back home

Posted by: which ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:10PM

towner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also interested in how many people are moving back
> home

As in back home with mom and dad or as in back to your original hometown?

Date: October 14, 2009 12:11PM

Allow me to rephrase the question because my post was unclear. In fact, my post was "off topic" for the Off Topic forum because the question had to do with the job "market here". Imagine that, a reverse-off-topic post.

Anyhoo, let me rephrase so you guys don't have to beat around the fucking bush anymore trying to figure out what I really want to know.

1) I am unemployed
2) I can't seem to get a job, at least one that pays well and I won't do menial jobs
3) I am considering moving back in with my folks to live under their bullshit rules, but hey it beats the curb (maybe)

Is anyone in the same boat as me and do you have any feedback or advice?

Date: October 14, 2009 12:13PM

So, assuming you made it through the last few months without being laid off - is it safe to assume you have some job security (beyond that of being called out on wasted hours spent on ffu)?

Posted by: Walter Winchell ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:18PM

towner Wrote:
> So, assuming you made it through the last few
> months without being laid off - is it safe to
> assume you have some job security (beyond that of
> being called out on wasted hours spent on ffu)?

Who are you, a lazy Washington Post reporter from the Metro desk?

Posted by: originaltowner ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:18PM

thanks for rephasing my question and fake towner - said it better than I could. Maybe I should have your right my resume. Shit, maybe you can find my job for me, or hell, do my work for me?

Stop enabling me!

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:19PM

Job security is in your skills, and how easily you can find a new job if your hiring organization downsizes or goes under. Spend below your means and you will have some cushion to supplement unemployment while you find somewhere else to go. Play defense while employed so you can comfortably go on offense when not.

Posted by: originaltowner ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:21PM

New to the area, I thought that this site would provide helpful information regarding the community. Instead, I found a countless number of senseless and immature comment strings that made no attempt to answer legitimate concerns of Fairfax residents. I had to scan through post after post of crude comments just to find out that the question was never answered. One resident commented:

"The hair in the food probably came from one of the farting pregnant chicks that got too big to shave her pubes." (Ironically, this was posted by "coolguy")

I thought that this was "a project site designed to improve communication between residents of Fairfax County, VA." And that we were to "feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting." Maybe it's me but I don't really find the comment above interesting nor does it make me want to communicate with any Fairfax residents.

It makes me feel that the residents in this area are being improperly misrepresented. Perhaps we need some sort of moderator on the posts?

Posted by: alreadyback ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:24PM

Already back in town, back with parents is worst case scenerio. Working what was to be a temp job but a last 5 months now. Not what I went to school got or enjoy, just enough to pay the bills and have some change in my pocket, but not sure if now is the time to make a move, or just play it safe and stay.

Date: October 14, 2009 12:26PM

But make a move to where? If you find something in your career path, even if it is somewhere else in the country, then go for it. I take it you are younger, you have everything to gain by making whatever move you see as an opportunity.

Posted by: seriously? ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:31PM

New to the area, I thought that this site would provide helpful information regarding the community. Instead, I found a countless number of senseless and immature comment strings that made no attempt to answer legitimate concerns of Fairfax residents. I had to scan through post after post of crude comments just to find out that the question was never answered. One resident commented:

"The hair in the food probably came from one of the farting pregnant chicks that got too big to shave her pubes." (Ironically, this was posted by "coolguy")

I thought that this was "a project site designed to improve communication between residents of Fairfax County, VA." And that we were to "feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting." Maybe it's me but I don't really find the comment above interesting nor does it make me want to communicate with any Fairfax residents.

It makes me feel that the residents in this area are being improperly misrepresented. Perhaps we need some sort of moderator on the posts?

--------

Why are you hijacking my username and posts for your own agenda? People have been helpful on here and the drama comes when you put yourself in it (which I guess I am now). This smells if a certain poster/lunatic... I don't mind the humor of others and I usually do get some good info thrown in to boot. - Towner (guess I should give in and register a name

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:36PM

originaltowner Wrote:
> New to the area, I thought that this site would
> provide helpful information regarding the
> community. Instead, I found a countless number of
> senseless and immature comment strings that made
> no attempt to answer legitimate concerns of
> Fairfax residents. I had to scan through post
> after post of crude comments just to find out that
> the question was never answered.

Welcome to the internet. We've been expecting you.

Posted by: Uncle Sam ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:37PM

If you have a degree and are fairly young, think about joining the military as an officer. You spend a few years riding out this economic downturn and come out with some skills many employers would find desireable while getting paid a decent steady paycheck. Stick it out a couple of extra years and get a graduate degree on them. If I was younger and un/underemployed, I would seriously consider that route. I realize that the military is not for everyone, but it does seem like a good alternative if you have the inclination. At least talk to someone in the service and/or visit a recruiter. Don't fall for the go enlisted route THEN become an officer stuff some of the recruiters will try and sell you.

Posted by: Fail Safe ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:42PM

Uncle Sam Wrote:
> If you have a degree and are fairly young, think
> about joining the military as an officer. You
> spend a few years riding out this economic
> downturn and come out with some skills many
> employers would find desireable while getting paid
> a decent steady paycheck. Stick it out a couple
> of extra years and get a graduate degree on them.
> If I was younger and un/underemployed, I would
> seriously consider that route. I realize that the
> military is not for everyone, but it does seem
> like a good alternative if you have the
> inclination. At least talk to someone in the
> service and/or visit a recruiter. Don't fall for
> the go enlisted route THEN become an officer stuff
> some of the recruiters will try and sell you.

+1 Check with the different services though. If you go Army, you have to start out enlisted even with a college degree. Only military academy and/or ROTC graduates become officers right away.

Being an officer in the DC area is great, I've known a lot of them that finish graduate degrees at Georgetown and GW, all paid for by the military.

Date: October 14, 2009 12:45PM

Now what?

Alright then.

Pgens - thanks for your feedback.

I am approaching 30 and am not where I planned on being in my career so I guess I should just make the jump. Just feel like have plans/dreams is great, but in the job climate you should just suck it up and be thankful for having work.

Now, anyone want to take an educated guess as to who my well spoken, yet wordy and defensive (trying to start drama) admirer was? I mean, wow, thanks for jumping in like that and using my name to rewrite what you thought I meant and then to go on some rant about the "crude" people on ffu.

I'd take crude over delusional any day.

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:47PM

how do we know that this isnt him pretending to be the original "towner"

Date: October 14, 2009 12:48PM

It was probably a number of people writing that. When you post anon you have to expect a few jokes. Now that you are registered it will be obvious when it isn't you doing the posting.

Date: October 14, 2009 12:49PM

I've got my degree and good work experience. Not looking to make a jump to the military. Just want to enjoy the work I do and get paid a reasonable amount and eventually go from renting to owning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 12:51PM by towner.

Date: October 14, 2009 12:54PM

Oh and no disrespect to military btw.
If I could go back in time, I may have gone that route.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: October 14, 2009 01:19PM

Okay so you're 30, living back at your mum and dad's and have a college degree with some decent work experience. What to do?

Well it isn't glamourous to be back at your mum's certainly but at least you have that to drop back on while you continue actively searching for new work. What is it you do? If it's some esoteric endeavour you may consider branching into something more solid that is similar in nature - English teacher = technical writer or vice versa.

Anyway - good luck!

Date: October 14, 2009 01:57PM

Thanks for the feedback Brit.

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: October 14, 2009 05:04PM

originaltowner Wrote:
> New to the area, I thought that this site would
> provide helpful information regarding the
> community. Instead, I found a countless number of
> senseless and immature comment strings that made
> no attempt to answer legitimate concerns of
> Fairfax residents. I had to scan through post
> after post of crude comments just to find out that
> the question was never answered. One resident
> commented:
> .

This forum serves as a distraction from the real world. Rarely an intelligent exchange will make it to the forum. When it does, the regulars are on top of it in short order to bring the thread back around to the accepted format - rude, crude and socially unacceptable.

The city-data forum might be more in line with the type of exchange you want. You can drill down and hone in on city and county exchanges that draw a more "refined" group of newworkers.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/

Date: October 14, 2009 05:07PM

towner Wrote:
> Allow me to rephrase the question because my post
> was unclear. In fact, my post was "off topic" for
> the Off Topic forum because the question had to do
> with the job "market here". Imagine that, a
> reverse-off-topic post.
>
> Anyhoo, let me rephrase so you guys don't have to
> beat around the fucking bush anymore trying to
> figure out what I really want to know.
>
> 1) I am unemployed
> 2) I can't seem to get a job, at least one that
> pays well and I won't do menial jobs
> 3) I am considering moving back in with my folks
> to live under their bullshit rules, but hey it
> beats the curb (maybe)
>
> Is anyone in the same boat as me and do you have
> any feedback or advice?

Jesus Christ! Would you make your point!? I can see why you are unemployed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 05:07PM by WashingTone-Locian.

Date: October 14, 2009 05:08PM

I am employed. I have hired people this year. It seems like business starting picking up again in July. Hopefully it continues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Not Ken Doll ()
Date: October 14, 2009 05:15PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> I am an Amway independent business owner. I have recruited more people this year.
> It seems like people are buying my products again. Hopefully it continues.

I fixed it for you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.