HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
D.C. Council is racist, sexist, blah blah blah
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 10, 2009 10:08AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/09/AR2009100903933.html?wprss=rss_metro/dc

You know the drill. Hispanic woman doesn't get what she wants, says it's because everyone hates her since she's a minority, it's an insult to Hispanics everywhere, blah blah blah.

In interviews with The Washington Post and Spanish-language TV stations, Hartsock accused the council of showing disrespect for the city's growing Hispanic population.

"I was mistreated," Hartsock said. "Not only me, but my entire heritage. . . . There is nothing worse than creating a precedent for injustice."

At Hartsock's confirmation hearing Oct. 2, council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) was quoted as saying that she wasn't qualified for the job because she didn't understand African American culture.

"If Marion Barry was a white person and I was a black person, there would be riots in the streets right now," Hartsock said Friday.

Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5), chairman of the council's parks and recreation committee, lobbied against Hartsock and defended the council vote. He said Friday that Hartsock "just wasn't up to the job."

"I don't think the full [Hispanic] community is behind this," Thomas said. "These are just Hartsock supporters trying to create an issue where there is none. . . . This has nothing to do with ethnicity. It's about her inability to perform."

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: D.C. Council is racist, sexist, blah blah blah
Date: October 10, 2009 10:17AM

While I think she is playing the race card, Marion Barry's comments were idiotic. Maybe Barry should explain to us what the difference is between "black parks" and "Hispanic parks" or "white parks."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: October 10, 2009 10:54AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I think she is playing the race card, Marion
> Barry's comments were idiotic. Maybe Barry should
> explain to us what the difference is between
> "black parks" and "Hispanic parks" or "white
> parks."

Well, it is Marion Barry...

But, she's still accusing the entire council of being racist based on a black man's remarks. Does she think the white members of the council voted against her because they, too, didn't think she understood the "African American Community?"

Does this mean people the people who are screaming racism are finally willing to admit that it's not just white people that are racist?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 10, 2009 10:55AM

Wow. I'm really getting sick of people's whining. You can't fire anybody anymore for any reason.

What's going to happen when whites become a minority? I can't wait to play the race card!!!!

Posted by: Souf'eas ()
Date: October 10, 2009 02:34PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> While I think she is playing the race card, Marion
> Barry's comments were idiotic. Maybe Barry should
> explain to us what the difference is between
> "black parks" and "Hispanic parks" or "white
> parks."

Folger Park is white, Meridian Hill Park ees Hispanic, and Lincoln Park it black.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: October 10, 2009 04:51PM

Ximena does have a point... If a white man said shit like that to a black man, it would blow up into a huge deal.

Date: October 10, 2009 07:22PM

If a white person told a black person that the black person didn't understand the African American Community, that wouldn't be racist, that would be retarded.

However, a white person didn't say it. Marion Barry did.

Would it be OK if she had told him that he didn't understand the hispanic community?

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: October 10, 2009 07:57PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> If a white person told a black person that the
> black person didn't understand the African
> American Community, that wouldn't be racist, that
> would be retarded.

Ha! You know what I mean. Think of all the not-so-racist "racist comments" that have made Sharpton/Jackson foam at the mouth. You know there would be an "outrage" if a white man told a black man he wasn't hired because he didn't understand the Caucasian American Community (whatever the hell that is)...

>
> However, a white person didn't say it. Marion
> Barry did.
>
> Would it be OK if she had told him that he didn't
> understand the hispanic community?

I'm sure someone would try to make an issue out of it...
Don't get me wrong, I said she had a point, not that her behavior was justified.

I hate how people cry racism(o) when they don't get what they want. Not only does it make them look like little babies, but it is a detriment to equality and perpetuates divisiveness. I also think it's selfish.

...I just think there would be more hubbub if a white man said something similar to a black man (for whatever reason).

Date: October 10, 2009 08:05PM

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
> ...I just think there would be more hubbub if a
> white man said something similar to a black man
> (for whatever reason).

Yes, there would be, because no matter how much "minority" racists hate each other, it's still not as much as they hate white people. If her beef was with a black man, why drag the white people into it, too?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.