HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Buying a laptop, need help
Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: October 10, 2009 05:28AM

Ok, so i know we have alot of computer experts on here so.... im looking for a good gaming laptop for under 1K, so far ive found the asus G51VX-RX05 which looks to be a good way to go, aside from running hot, its getting pretty damn good reviews. So my question is, should i go with this model, or does anyone know something better to go with? im going out tomorrow (well i guess technically today) to buy a laptop, so something i can get in a physical store would be helpful. Thanks in advance cocks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a laptop, need help
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 10, 2009 12:14PM

1) what are you planning on using it for?
2) if you have any, what are your minimum requirements? (screen size, speed, etc.)
3) if any, what special features do you want?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Judge Crater ()
Date: October 10, 2009 12:26PM

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: October 10, 2009 09:36PM

Just be sure to get lots of RAM, and a good video card.

Get the fastest RPM hard drive you can find in a laptop, too. It makes a difference with seek and access times, and games are constantly reading from the drive. The faster it spins, the quicker it can access and retrieve data.

2Gb RAM is a minimum, if you can afford 4, go for it. If you have two laptops to choose from, and one has the fastest CPU, and only 1GB RAM, and the other has a slightly slower CPU but 2GB RAM, go with the slower CPU/bigger RAM.

For games you are going to want lots of RAM and a hefty video chip. Performance-wise, a 2GHz CPU and a 1.5GHz CPU are not that much different, but 1GB of memory versus 2GB of memory is an enormous difference.

And when you get your laptop home be sure to google "laptop optimization" and follow some of the guides on how to speed up your laptop. Use "Bootvis" to speed up boot up, for example. Disable all the flashy animated crap and shadows and just have a bare-bones GUI, to save processing cycles and memory for your games.

Also, unless you can get 7, insist on XP Pro, not Vista.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 09:43PM by Thurston Moore.

Date: October 10, 2009 09:44PM

Oh, yeah, if the ASUS runs a little hot, just invest in the best cooling pad you can find.

The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: Vista Wins ()
Date: October 10, 2009 10:42PM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Also, unless you can get 7, insist on XP Pro, not
> Vista.

Vista is far more secure than XP.

Posted by: bwhatttttt? ()
Date: October 10, 2009 11:05PM

WTF i cant believe my eyes, am i actually reading legitimate, sincere advice on fairfax underground?!?!?!

Date: October 10, 2009 11:42PM

Vista Wins Wrote:
> Thurston Moore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Also, unless you can get 7, insist on XP Pro,
> not
> > Vista.
>
>
> Vista is far more secure than XP.

Out of the box, maybe, perhaps. But it is also an enormous resource hog.

A stripped down, streamlined XP only uses a fraction of the resources that Vista uses, and anyone with the willingness to invest a few hours doing a little googling can configure XP to be quite secure.

Posted by: Question ()
Date: October 10, 2009 11:57PM

Is Ubuntu pretty secure?

Date: October 11, 2009 12:16AM

Question Wrote:
> Is Ubuntu pretty secure?

It is "pretty" secure.

Debian is the distribution that was sort of founded on principles of security.

Redhat is pretty good. Slackware is also pretty good.

Trustix is gaining popularity, but I don't know that much about it.

Date: October 11, 2009 05:28AM

Thanks for the help guys, i went with the asus and its pretty money, runs games at pretty much full spec with no problem. Im gonna drop by micro center and pick up a cooling pad just to be safe. Thanks

Date: October 11, 2009 05:29AM

bwhatttttt? Wrote:
> WTF i cant believe my eyes, am i actually reading
> legitimate, sincere advice on fairfax
> underground?!?!?!

nope, you misread

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 11, 2009 09:02AM

Question Wrote:
> Is Ubuntu pretty secure?

you are more likely to get hit by lightning than you are to get malware, spyware or a virus when using linux.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.