HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Health Care Reform - Should businesses be mandated to provide health care insurance for employees?
Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: October 08, 2009 12:38PM

With all the bills floating around, and the big Senate vote coming up Tuesday, one of the questions raised is whether employers should be mandated to provide health insurance for employees?

The purpose of the bill, of so we are told, it to ensure affordable health insurance for everyone, that will be there when we need it (even if we move from one job to another), with reasonable out of pocket expenses.

More and more employers are reluctant to take the leap from contractor or temp to perm employee until they know how the final bill will affect their bottom line. Reasonably so.

Some have already made the decision to bypass benefits altogether and offer a stipend to offset the cost of individual health care.

I would like to see health care insurance be the responsiblity of the individual - now that they will not be penalized for pre-existing conditions. When individuals take ownership of their health, and coverage, we may see a turnaround in the way people live, work, play and eat.

AND ... it frees up millions of dollars for small businesses to invest in and grow the business and bring people back into the workplace. Small Businesses are becoming the major vehicle for job creation and (I predict) will be the backbone of our economy within the next 5 years.

Your take?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Health Care Reform - Should businesses be mandated to provide health care insurance for employees?
Date: October 08, 2009 12:42PM

Do you pay for your own insurance? I mean, do you have an individual policy and not insurance provided by your employer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Re: Health Care Reform - Should businesses be mandated to provide health care insurance for employees?
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 08, 2009 12:52PM

THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE AS IT IS. Let the sickly die.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 08, 2009 12:57PM

What I find interesting also is that for years the rule has been if an employee worked less than 1000 hours per year the employer was not required to provide health insurance. Is that changing? I imagine the health insurance costs alone for part-time employers will kill them if they have to start providing insurance for part-timers.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: October 08, 2009 12:57PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you pay for your own insurance? I mean, do you
> have an individual policy and not insurance
> provided by your employer?

Yes! Catastrophic coverage at 100% with a $1,500 deductible (which I haven't reached yet)

Date: October 08, 2009 01:00PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do you pay for your own insurance? I mean, do
> you
> > have an individual policy and not insurance
> > provided by your employer?
>
> Yes! Catastrophic coverage at 100% with a $1,500
> deductible (which I haven't reached yet)

Good for you. I hope for your sake that you never have anything happen to you (like diabetes, cancer, etc), because the insurance industry will double your rates every year until you can no longer afford insurance. Don't believe me? Ask your insurance broker. They can and will do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 08, 2009 01:01PM

Sounds like that would be good to fix in the current legislation. Along with pre-existing condition clauses, and being dropped if you get sick.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: October 08, 2009 01:06PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Sounds like that would be good to fix in the
> current legislation. Along with pre-existing
> condition clauses, and being dropped if you get
> sick.

Elimination of the pre-existing condition clauses will increase premiums by at least 20 percent in the immediate future.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:09PM

> Registered Voter Wrote:
> -----
> > Sounds like that would be good to fix in the
> > current legislation. Along with pre-existing
> > condition clauses, and being dropped if you get
> > sick.
>
> Elimination of the pre-existing condition clauses
> will increase premiums by at least 20 percent in
> the immediate future.

Perhaps. I know that is what is being pushed by the insurance industry. I would have Congress make the changes, open up competition across the country and see what really happens.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:16PM

>
> Good for you. I hope for your sake that you never
> have anything happen to you (like diabetes,
> cancer, etc), because the insurance industry will
> double your rates every year until you can no
> longer afford insurance. Don't believe me? Ask
> your insurance broker. They can and will do it.

I have the best of both worlds. I bought mine as an individual, enrolled in a "group plan" though an SBA recognized organization (kinda like AARP), which spreads out risk and thus reduces the premium for pre-existing conditions and age.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:19PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Good for you. I hope for your sake that you
> never
> > have anything happen to you (like diabetes,
> > cancer, etc), because the insurance industry
> will
> > double your rates every year until you can no
> > longer afford insurance. Don't believe me? Ask
> > your insurance broker. They can and will do it.
>
>
> I have the best of both worlds. I bought mine as
> an individual, enrolled in a "group plan" though
> an SBA recognized organization (kinda like AARP),
> which spreads out risk and thus reduces the
> premium for pre-existing conditions and age.

As I noted initially, you have to take ownership of your health care. If you buy the fist thing that a broker shows you, you'll get taken to the cleaners every time.

Unless you're willing to put forth the effort to do the research, you might as well wear a bull's eye on your forehead

Date: October 08, 2009 01:20PM

Registered Voter Wrote:

>
> Perhaps. I know that is what is being pushed by
> the insurance industry. I would have Congress make
> the changes, open up competition across the
> country and see what really happens.

Congress can try to enforce price controls. All that will do is gut what is offered in policies or to make the thresholds so difficult to meet for certain tests and procedures that you basically end up with the shortcomings of a national health care system without any of the benefits.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:21PM

RestonLass Wrote:

>
> I have the best of both worlds. I bought mine as
> an individual, enrolled in a "group plan" though
> an SBA recognized organization (kinda like AARP),
> which spreads out risk and thus reduces the
> premium for pre-existing conditions and age.

It's not the best of both worlds. It is a group plan that you are paying for as an individual. So you are advocating people buy something that you don't actually have.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:24PM

RestonLass Wrote:

>
> As I noted initially, you have to take ownership
> of your health care. If you buy the fist thing
> that a broker shows you, you'll get taken to the
> cleaners every time.
>
> Unless you're willing to put forth the effort to
> do the research, you might as well wear a bull's
> eye on your forehead

You have no idea what I have or haven't done regarding insurance. I have gone through NFIB, NASE, Anthem, Kaiser and every other insurance company and broker out there. Individual plans are a rip-off if you actually have to use them. Group plans are expensive as well. Rates aren't set by brokers. They are set by the industry. There is NO price competition in the health insurance industry.

Posted by: Agent ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:25PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> Catastrophic coverage at 100% with a $1,500
> deductible (which I haven't reached yet)

RestonLass - what's your monthly premium? If it's low, that might not be a bad policy.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:25PM

> Registered Voter Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Perhaps. I know that is what is being pushed by
> > the insurance industry. I would have Congress
> make
> > the changes, open up competition across the
> > country and see what really happens.
>
>
> Congress can try to enforce price controls. All
> that will do is gut what is offered in policies or
> to make the thresholds so difficult to meet for
> certain tests and procedures that you basically
> end up with the shortcomings of a national health
> care system without any of the benefits.

I didn't say price controls. I said disallow the policies that are anti-consumer. Then open up national competition and let the prices restructure.

If you can anticipate all these "gutting" measures they are going to take, then make sure that is part of the legislation and then move forward. No price controls. The only other thing I would do is change them back to non-profits and (in my sort of anti-capitalist mode) regulate high end salaries and compensation.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:27PM

Agent Wrote:
> RestonLass Wrote:
> -----
> > Catastrophic coverage at 100% with a $1,500
> > deductible (which I haven't reached yet)
>
>
> RestonLass - what's your monthly premium? If it's
> low, that might not be a bad policy.

Yes. But it is through "Bill's Insurance Company," so good luck on your claim.

Odds are it is Assurant or Mega-life. Good luck, again, on any claims you may have. Make sure to call the hospital first to make sure they take your insurance before going should you need major medical.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:28PM

Registered Voter Wrote:

> The only other thing I would do is
> change them back to non-profits and (in my sort of
> anti-capitalist mode) regulate high end salaries
> and compensation.

That's really the only solution. But Congress is too gutless to do it.

Posted by: The Critic ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:30PM

> Agent Wrote:
> -----
> > RestonLass Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Catastrophic coverage at 100% with a $1,500
> > > deductible (which I haven't reached yet)
> >
> >
> > RestonLass - what's your monthly premium? If
> it's
> > low, that might not be a bad policy.
>
>
> Yes. But it is through "Bill's Insurance Company,"
> so good luck on your claim.
>
> Odds are it is Assurant or Mega-life. Good luck,
> again, on any claims you may have. Make sure to
> call the hospital first to make sure they take
> your insurance before going should you need major
> medical.

Funny how you bitch, whine, and moan with statements like "You have no idea what I have or haven't done regarding insurance," then in your next breath start to presume facts about someone elses health insurance situation. What a fucktard you are.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:31PM

The Critic Wrote:

>
> Funny how you bitch, whine, and moan with
> statements like "You have no idea what I have or
> haven't done regarding insurance," then in your
> next breath start to presume facts about someone
> elses health insurance situation. What a fucktard
> you are.

RestonLass is free to tell me how wrong I am.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:31PM

A little testy there aren't you? I could care less how much or little research you did or what your results were.

I took ownership of my health and health care and satisfied with my $1,865/year premium.

Hint: There IS price competition in the Health Insurance Industry.

Costs and coverage for Individual and Group coverage is based on the knowledge and experience of the administrator who negotiates them. It doesn't hurt that Virginia has our back more than most states.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:34PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> A little testy there aren't you? I could care
> less how much or little research you did or what
> your results were.
>
> I took ownership of my health and health care and
> satisfied with my $1,865/year premium.
>
> Hint: There IS price competition in the Health
> Insurance Industry.
>
> Costs and coverage for Individual and Group
> coverage is based on the knowledge and experience
> of the administrator who negotiates them. It
> doesn't hurt that Virginia has our back more than
> most states.

If it is MEGA Life, Assurant or some other low-cost outfit out there, I trust you have done research on any fraud claims that might be out there.

Posted by: Agent ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:43PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> A little testy there aren't you? I could care
> less how much or little research you did or what
> your results were.
>
> I took ownership of my health and health care and
> satisfied with my $1,865/year premium.
>
> Hint: There IS price competition in the Health
> Insurance Industry.
>
> Costs and coverage for Individual and Group
> coverage is based on the knowledge and experience
> of the administrator who negotiates them. It
> doesn't hurt that Virginia has our back more than
> most states.

Hmmm. So you pay $3365 for the year. I'd say that's pretty good. (Hope the lifetime pay-off isn't ridiculously low, though.)

Date: October 08, 2009 01:46PM

W ashingTone-Locian, these are the only insurance providers who can do business in VA:

AARP Insured By Aetna, Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, Celtic Ins. Co, Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, UniCare, United Healthcare

Unless MEGA Life or Assurant is a sub of one these primary providers, then your comment is worthless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 01:49PM by RestonLass.

Date: October 08, 2009 01:52PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> W ashingTone-Locian, these are the only insurance
> providers who can do business in VA:
>
> AARP Insured By Aetna, Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross
> and Blue Shield, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield,
> Celtic Ins. Co, Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, UniCare,
> United Healthcare
>
>
> Unless MEGA Life or Assurant is a sub of one these
> primary providers, then your comment is worthless.

So which one is yours?

Date: October 08, 2009 01:53PM

By the way. If this is coming through AARP, is it supplemental insurance?

Posted by: good reader ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:58PM

> By the way. If this is coming through AARP, is it
> supplemental insurance?

Seeing as she wrote this: "bought mine as an individual, enrolled in a "group plan" though an SBA recognized organization (kinda like AARP)," I would guess that because it is "kinda like AARP" that it is not AARP. Just a guess on my part though.

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: October 08, 2009 01:59PM

OMG, i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and find out this is a Medicare case with a supplemental, and all pissed off because the "advantage" elements are getting cut.

Lord.

I wonder why Junes won't promote the name of the company, so we can ALL sign up.

Date: October 08, 2009 02:00PM

> RestonLass Wrote:
> -----
> > W ashingTone-Locian, these are the only
> insurance
> > providers who can do business in VA:
> >
> > AARP Insured By Aetna, Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross
> > and Blue Shield, CareFirst BlueCross
> BlueShield,
> > Celtic Ins. Co, Kaiser Mid-Atlantic, UniCare,
> > United Healthcare
> >
> >
> > Unless MEGA Life or Assurant is a sub of one
> these
> > primary providers, then your comment is
> worthless.
>
>
>
>
> So which one is yours?

Bill's Insurance Company

As the self-appointed forum expert on all that is important about individual and group insurance, you surprise me with such a question.

Afterall, aren't you the one who said you've done all that extensive research. If it's so important to you which insurance I have, check your notes and match the provider with the coverage and premium.

Date: October 08, 2009 02:01PM

RestonLass Wrote:

>
>
> Bill's Insurance Company
>
>
> As the self-appointed forum expert on all that is
> important about individual and group insurance,
> you surprise me with such a question.
>
> Afterall, aren't you the one who said you've done
> all that extensive research. If it's so important
> to you which insurance I have, check your notes
> and match the provider with the coverage and
> premium.

Way ahead of you...

http://www.aarphealthcare.com/products/premierhealth/Aetnahome.aspx

Date: October 08, 2009 02:04PM

Actualy, it's United Healthcare.

I'm not old enough to buy supplemental, but I do have an AARP card that I use for the discounts.

Date: October 08, 2009 02:12PM

RestonLass Wrote:
> Actualy, it's United Healthcare.
>
> I'm not old enough to buy supplemental, but I do
> have an AARP card that I use for the discounts.

Whatever the case, millions of people have had health problems in their lives that make individual health plans an unrealistic option. What you belong to is an insurance pool, which isn't the same as an individual plan. I would have no problem if NFIB, NASE and other groups offered group plans to their members. However, current regulations make that difficult (it's actually a states' rights issue).

Posted by: special delivery ()
Date: October 08, 2009 02:13PM

> Way ahead of you...
>
> http://www.aarphealthcare.com/products/premierheal
> th/Aetnahome.aspx

So sorry, you fail (again).

failed Pictures, Images and Photos

Date: October 08, 2009 02:22PM

>
>
> Whatever the case, millions of people have had
> health problems in their lives that make
> individual health plans an unrealistic option.
> What you belong to is an insurance pool, which
> isn't the same as an individual plan. I would have
> no problem if NFIB, NASE and other groups offered
> group plans to their members. However, current
> regulations make that difficult (it's actually a
> states' rights issue).

Stop being such a prick. You tried to play the one upsman game and you lost.

Until this thread, you didn't even know which insurance providers could sell in VA, what the state mandates are, or how the state "works" with co-ops.

Heck, you claimed to research insurance providers that couldn't even offer you coverage if they wanted to.

====

IF a national regulation is enacted for the insurance industry, states rights will be a thing of the past and then, you can pull out and dust off your reserach and maybe find something that works for you, just as I found something that works just fine for me.

Date: October 08, 2009 02:49PM

RestonLass Wrote:

>
> Stop being such a prick. You tried to play the
> one upsman game and you lost.

Whatever, Granny. Your contention was that people should buy individual plans when you, in fact, are on a group plan.

>
> Until this thread, you didn't even know which
> insurance providers could sell in VA, what the
> state mandates are, or how the state "works" with
> co-ops.

So you say Assurant can't sell here, eh? Please note...

http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/ah/overlay/coveragemap.html

You don't know the difference between a group plan and an individual plan. And what I know about co-ops is that they eventually fail due to the aging of the participants.

>
> Heck, you claimed to research insurance providers
> that couldn't even offer you coverage if they
> wanted to.
>

Kaiser and Anthem can't offer coverage here? That's news to me.

>
> ====
>
> IF a national regulation is enacted for the
> insurance industry, states rights will be a thing
> of the past and then, you can pull out and dust
> off your reserach and maybe find something that
> works for you, just as I found something that
> works just fine for me.

Just don't get sick.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: October 08, 2009 04:24PM

Why should we get health insurance through employers anyway? We don't have to buy food from a company store, we get paid and we buy it anywhere. If you can only get needed health care through your employer, you're not really an employee anymore, you're a serf.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 08, 2009 08:27PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE AS IT IS. Let the
> sickly die.

+1

RestonLass Wrote:
> Unless you're willing to put forth the effort to do
> the research, you might as well wear a bull's eye on
> your forehead

dude, gross.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.