HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is the prospect of making $64,650 - $100,736 entry level worth an hour+ long commute?
Posted by: fraeqtgr ()
Date: December 08, 2016 11:32AM

Thinking of applying to a computer software position out in bethesda. From Falls Church (where I live), to there its going to be about an hour drive. Is it worth it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is the prospect of making $64,650 - $100,736 entry level worth an hour+ long commute?
Posted by: Nope, nope ()
Date: December 08, 2016 11:39AM

Not for under $100,000. Do the math on expenses in the DC area.

Travel gas $$, parking, lunch, rent...

Re: Is the prospect of making $64,650 - $100,736 entry level worth an hour+ long commute?
Posted by: stay in VA ()
Date: December 08, 2016 11:43AM

Parking in Bethesda sucks. You need to figure the cost of parking, and possibly EZ Pass Express lanes into the evaluation.

Posted by: I commute every day (M-F) ()
Date: December 08, 2016 12:03PM

Traffic is a motherfucker! I don't travel your route, but I can tell you that travelling in Virginia sucks balls all.the.way.down.your.throat!

Saying "about an hour" is like saying almost pregnant. WTF? It will be more than an hour! That's just the beginning! Besides traffic you'll have to park, worry about weather, bring your lunch or bag it?, wear and tear on your car, taxes, insurance, blah... blah.... blah!

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: December 08, 2016 12:19PM

The the worst traffic possible. Doesn't get worse than that.

Posted by: EnYkv ()
Date: December 08, 2016 12:20PM

int commute = 80;
String location = "Maryland";
boolean lifeSuck;

if (commute > 60 && location == "Maryland")
{
lifeSuck = "True";
}

Posted by: Struct ()
Date: December 08, 2016 12:23PM

EnYkv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> int commute = 80;
> String location = "Maryland";
> boolean lifeSuck;
>
> if (commute > 60 && location == "Maryland")
> {
> lifeSuck = "True";
> }

I'd use === when comparing "Maryland"

Posted by: pcvJH ()
Date: December 10, 2016 11:58AM

Simple fix---if the job looks good when you get it, move to an apartment nearby the job area and walk or take the Metro every day.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.