HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Favorite iPhone Apps?
Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: September 05, 2009 01:25PM

I've been disappointed with most that I've downloaded. What are your favorites?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite iPhone Apps?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 05, 2009 02:00PM

They're pretty lame for the most part. But ones that I use are:

WeatherBug (better than the native iPhone weather app)

ESPN Score Center (you can customize it for your favorite teams)

Flashlight (dumb, but it's actually been useful a few times)

Washington Post's Go Out Guide (finds bars, restaurants, etc)

Eventful (finds local concert venues and schedules)

Blackjack (gotta keep those Blackjack skills sharp)

Date: September 05, 2009 02:44PM

I agree on WeatherBug and ESPN. The regular iPhone weather app sucks ass. USA Today has a good app. I also use FedEx, Pandora and Dictionary. Good game apps include Moonlight lite (mai jong) and FSS Hockey.

But overall, most apps aren't very good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 05, 2009 02:46PM

I have most of the ones Meeper has plus

Bump (business info exchange by bumping phones together

Say Who (voice dialer-works pretty good when driving)

iSwipe (used for accepting credit cards over the phone)

Planets (lets me know where and when the planets are visible)

Megaphone (use the phone as a mic for testing PA systems)

iSpeak Spanish (excellent translater)

Yelp (restaurant finder and reviews)

Flixster (movie schedules and locations)

Pro Football News (similar to ESPN Score Center, but not as good)

simple Draw ( draw pictures with your finger - great for describing stuff and teaching)

Guitar Toolkit ( good for guitarists)

Every now and then someone puts out a useful app.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 05, 2009 08:47PM

Bloomberg is better than the built-in stock quotes pp, though that one is good too. Others that are good that I have: Twitterific, Free RSS, DoodleBuddy.

I have more but they aren't always free... I wait for "Specials" where for-pay apps go free for a day or something. I have yet to pay for an app.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 06, 2009 02:46AM

Just get a Pocket PC.

HTC is making some really amazing phones right now that make the iPhone look silly.

I have about 75 different apps, and I can watch TV and download movies, and have google mobile maps, and all sorts of other shit, and I never paid a dime for any of them.

With Verizon's NE2 (new every two) program, you can get the HTC Touch Pro (ppc 6850 with a slideout keyboard) or the HTC Touch Diamond (ppc 6900 with only a screen based keyboard) and it will blow away all of the iPhones.

1750 to 2200 kbs down and 500 to 700 kbps upload with the verizon PPCs. What do iPhones get?

Forget the apple iphone appstore or whatever it's called. With a Pocket PC, you've got ppcgeeks.com, freewarepocketpc.com and all kinds of other sites.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 06, 2009 09:48AM

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro/overview.html

Highlights
- Mobile Internet features - surf and download at broadband speed with HSPA and Wi-Fi®.
- 2.8-inch touch screen, with four times the resolution of most phones.
- Vibrant TouchFLO™ 3D user interface.
- Five-row QWERTY keyboard for quick and easy text entry.
- 3.2 megapixel auto-focus camera with flash light for quality stills and video.
- microSD™ slot for expandable storage.
- Integrated GPS can be used with maps software for a full turn-by-turn navigation experience.

Do you have unlimited data? And if so, roughly what is the monthly cost? (I am actually looking to get a new phone and was debating if I wanted to cut my wrists and get an iPhone or not.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 06, 2009 02:38PM

the iphone is ridiculously overpriced, both in cost and monthly charges.

if you want something to play with then the iphone is not what you want.

the iphone used to be unique, now it's just another phone with glitter.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 06, 2009 03:01PM

I own many, many phones as a reviewer and I have no Windows Mobile ones (both standard and pro) that come close to the iPhone, it's not even a contest.

I haven't tried the Pre yet or an Android phone so I can't speak to those, though the Pre comes highly reviewed. You just have to be on Sprint.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: September 06, 2009 03:21PM

I used LocalEats the last time I traveled... I was happy with what it suggested then but I'm not impressed with the suggestions for the DC area.

I also have WhiteNoise, Pocket Cocktails (it has a Sommelier in it which is good because I know nothing about wine pairings), Tan Timer (saved me from burning too badly at the outer banks), FastFoodCal, and Couch to 5k.

Date: September 06, 2009 04:00PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the iphone is ridiculously overpriced, both in
> cost and monthly charges.
>
> if you want something to play with then the iphone
> is not what you want.
>
> the iphone used to be unique, now it's just
> another phone with glitter.

iPhones have come down significantly in price. And I can attest that my monthy AT&T bill on iPhone is much cheaper than what I spent on Verizon for a series of inferior "smart phones." As for the functionality, I have found that the corporate Aps have been getting better. FedEx is great! Expedia's sucks. I am hopeing it improves before I have to switch accounts to Travelocity or Orbitz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 06, 2009 04:08PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
>
> Expedia's sucks. I am hopeing it improves before I have to switch accounts to Travelocity or Orbitz.

The Travelocity app works well. In terms of corporate apps, I find the PNC and BoA apps to be useful.

Date: September 07, 2009 12:28AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro/overview.h
> tml
>
> Highlights
> - Mobile Internet features - surf and download at
> broadband speed with HSPA and Wi-Fi®.
> - 2.8-inch touch screen, with four times the
> resolution of most phones.
> - Vibrant TouchFLO™ 3D user interface.
> - Five-row QWERTY keyboard for quick and easy text
> entry.
> - 3.2 megapixel auto-focus camera with flash light
> for quality stills and video.
> - microSD™ slot for expandable storage.
> - Integrated GPS can be used with maps software
> for a full turn-by-turn navigation experience.
>

The verizon Touch Pro requires a third party "tweak" app to enable the GPS, at least mine did. Supposedly if the phone was made after June, it should have the GPS unlocked, but mine didn't. But it took about 30 seconds to download and install the free registry tweak or whatever it was.

> Do you have unlimited data? And if so, roughly
> what is the monthly cost? (I am actually looking
> to get a new phone and was debating if I wanted to
> cut my wrists and get an iPhone or not.

Yes, I have unlimited data, but I was grandfathered at $49.99 a month for unlimited. I'm not sure if they still offer unlimited, but they do have decent data plans for moderate users.

If you don't enjoy tailoring your computer/phone experience and prefer something you can use "out of the box" for a generic but functional experience, go with the iPhone. It is good at what it does. However, if you have unique needs or desire a tailor made experience and want the device to behave and respond in a particular way, go with a PPC or smartphone.

With the iPhone, you get that out of the box utility, but with a PPC you can modify, tweak, upgrade, hack and personalize to your heart's content.

For example, there are apps that allow you to control how the device acts while on a call. If it's up to your ear, the light sensor detects less than 5 lumens and turns off the screen (so you don't accidentally "push" a button on the screen) and when the g-sensor detects a certain angle, like when you are holding it in your hand, it will automatically switch to speakerphone, and when you turn the phone upside down, it will hang up the call. You can even program it to automatically answer when it is placed up to your ear, if you want.

I just found a $20 adapter that has a composite video and L and R RCA that would allow me to watch movies on a TV screen, like in hotels. With the 8 GB microSD, I can fit about 40 or 50 movies on it if i wanted, and never need to lug my laptop with me. Plus, with the Slingplayer client, that means I can watch all my cable and pay channels on the road.

The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 12:39AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: September 07, 2009 07:57AM

Thanks guys. I think Planets is my new favorite app.

If you like games, try the free version of Pac-Man.

Date: September 07, 2009 09:07AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Expedia's sucks. I am hopeing it improves before
> I have to switch accounts to Travelocity or
> Orbitz.
>
>
> The Travelocity app works well. In terms of
> corporate apps, I find the PNC and BoA apps to be
> useful.

I may have to switch. Expedia's gives you your travel itinerary and that is basically it. If you need to change anything, it links you through to their website, where you have to thumb through hard to read pages to get to what you want. Kind of defeats the purpose of having an App.

Date: September 07, 2009 01:57PM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
> Yes, I have unlimited data, but I was
> grandfathered at $49.99 a month for unlimited.
> I'm not sure if they still offer unlimited, but
> they do have decent data plans for moderate
> users.

Verizon BB's and the other smartphones can get unlimited data for $30/month as a feature addon to any voice plan... not sure what you are getting for your $50 but you may want to check into that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 01:58PM by pgens.

Date: September 08, 2009 03:09AM

pgens Wrote:
> Thurston Moore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, I have unlimited data, but I was
> > grandfathered at $49.99 a month for unlimited.
> > I'm not sure if they still offer unlimited, but
> > they do have decent data plans for moderate
> > users.
>
> Verizon BB's and the other smartphones can get
> unlimited data for $30/month as a feature addon to
> any voice plan... not sure what you are getting
> for your $50 but you may want to check into that.

You know, I really don't know.

It might be only my Pantech USB EVDO modem that would no longer have unlimited if I wasn't grandfathered. It may be that for phones they make an exception to compete against the iPhone and other competitors.

If that's the case, I wonder how long they'll keep that up, because I can easily configure my 6850 to be used as a modem for my laptop (or any PC). There's only so much you can download on a hand held device, but on a regular desktop or laptop, you could easily download 10 or 20 gig a month without making an effort.

I haven't paid attention to my bill in years because it is always about the same every month and automatically deducted from my checking. You're probably right about the EVDO plans on phones still offering unlimited.

Date: September 08, 2009 07:25AM

If (allowed) tethering (using the phone as a modem) is included in your $50 then that's the difference and worth it if you use it often. And if it is truly unlimited and doesn't have a 5GB cap and you routinely blow through that every month that's another plus for your $50 plan.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: September 09, 2009 12:02AM

Best app... ever...

Date: September 09, 2009 02:00AM

pgens Wrote:
> If (allowed) tethering (using the phone as a
> modem) is included in your $50 then that's the
> difference and worth it if you use it often. And
> if it is truly unlimited and doesn't have a 5GB
> cap and you routinely blow through that every
> month that's another plus for your $50 plan.

Like I said, I'm not sure if that is only on the true EVDO modems and phones are excepted.

My uTorrent app is showing 7.9 GB down and 6.0 GB up cumulative since I last rebooted about a week and a half ago. I obviously don't have a 5 GB cap, or if I do they aren't paying too close attention.

On my phone, I really don't know. I may also only be paying $30 a month for my unlimited on the phone. I'll need to look at my bill the next time I get it.

On my 6700, it was next to impossible to hack it to enable tethering, but it looks like the 6850 can be used quite easily. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.