HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
PS3 Slim - Hurting the Linux Crowd?
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 04, 2009 12:52PM

PS3 Slim Roadmap Leaves Linux Cluster Users Lost
http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/ps3-slim-roadmap-leaves-linux-cluster-users-lost

It's easy to assume that the only users affected by Sony's decision are the ever-present tinkerers who try (and typically succeed) to install Linux on every new device that comes out. Hence, Linux on iPhone and the like. It's a challenge that seems to range from ardent hobby to mild obsession.

In the case of the PS3, however, the benefits of Linux on the CellBE-processor device were immediate. In 2007, the researchers at North Carolina State University clustered eight PS3 machines that ran Fedora Core 5 Linux (ppc64). That same year a University of Massachusetts team found that putting together an eight-node PS3 cluster together (for a cost of about US$4000) would perform with the same processing power as a 200-processor supercomputer.

Interesting.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PS3 Slim - Hurting the Linux Crowd?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 04, 2009 02:07PM

umm... there are plenty of the older models which are now going to be even cheaper now that the slim version is out. i dont think they will be hurting from this update.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 04, 2009 02:08PM

Oh I know - it just was interesting to me on the info regarding the 200CPU supercomputer.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: September 04, 2009 02:12PM

yeah, people dont realize just how powerful a cell processor can be. the release of the ps3 totally kicked the ass of all the machines combined that have been running for years running folding@home with only a fraction of the amount of processors.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 02:13PM by Gravis.

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: September 04, 2009 04:37PM

There's an Xzibit meme here somewhere.

"Yo dawg I heard you like Linux so we put a Linux in yr PS3 so you can ..."

help me out here.

Date: September 04, 2009 05:35PM

lol
xzibit quotes
is his show still on the air.. what isi t pimp my ride? lol

Date: September 04, 2009 10:19PM

jhey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's an Xzibit meme here somewhere.
>
> "Yo dawg I heard you like Linux so we put a Linux
> in yr PS3 so you can ..."
>
> help me out here.

it's actually can be used as a fully functional computer with a desktop and everything. newer LCD monitors take HDMI, which is 1920x1200, perfect for a widescreen monitor. it also has usb ports and even wifi (and ethernet port). the ps3 can make a great high end thin client.

Posted by: That explains it ()
Date: September 04, 2009 10:46PM

Gravis uses PS3?

I wondered about this one: 68.230.177.218 Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3; 1.00)

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 04, 2009 11:34PM

That explains it Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravis uses PS3?
>
> I wondered about this one: 68.230.177.218
> Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3; 1.00)

Yeah, well, I h4x0r3d my old colecovision

68.230.177.218 Mozilla/5.0 (Colecovision; 0.90)

Surfing the web and typing with a 1980's video game controller is a real bitch, tho. I had to abandon my Atari 2800 because the joystick really sucked.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.