HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
BMW - Nice Concept Car
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:02PM

Nice car...

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/i-dont-care-how.php

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University
Attachments:
BMW-Vision-EfficientDynamics-thumb-550x400-23396.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BMW - Nice Concept Car
Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:14PM

i hate plastic cars. what ever happened to good old steel?

Posted by: TefD187 ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:22PM

Thats an awesome concept, minus the shamu paint job.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:41PM

It looks like one of those BlueDouche headsets that pretentious cockbites like to wear. I guess it's a brilliant concept car, considering the BMW demographic.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:45PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like one of those BlueDouche headsets
> that pretentious cockbites like to wear. I guess
> it's a brilliant concept car, considering the BMW
> demographic.

BlueDouche. I've been searching for a term to describe all the assholes who now wear their "bluetoof" earpieces, now that you can buy one on an endcap at CVS for $19.

I even saw a picture in Wired with Brad Pitt wearing one, and the caption was something like, "Even Brad Pitt can't pull this off without looking like a douche. You shouldn't even try."

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:39AM

a) what's wrong with a plastic shell? they have many advantages over standard metal covered cars.
b) why do bluetooth headsets make someone look like a "douche"?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 02, 2009 06:41AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Nice car...
>
> http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/i-dont-care-how.
> php

Go, Speed Racer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:42AM

Gravis Wrote:
> b) why do bluetooth headsets make someone look
> like a "douche"?

Why does facial hair on a woman make her look like a guy?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:57AM

Gravis Wrote:

> b) why do bluetooth headsets make someone look
> like a "douche"?

LOL. It always catches me off-guard when I'm the airport or on the street and some guy is ranting and raving about "it's your day to pick up the kids!" or "so how does improve my incontinence?" and I think "he's dressed too well to be a psychotic homeless guy" and then you see that little headset...

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 02, 2009 07:35AM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > b) why do bluetooth headsets make someone look
> > like a "douche"?
>
>
> LOL. It always catches me off-guard when I'm the
> airport or on the street and some guy is ranting
> and raving about "it's your day to pick up the
> kids!" or "so how does improve my incontinence?"
> and I think "he's dressed too well to be a
> psychotic homeless guy" and then you see that
> little headset...

And it's not like they wear it only when they need to use it. They wear it all the time in public, like some sort of douchey accessory. I think I'm supposed to be super impressed by their efficiency or importance or something, but I'm not.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: BlueDouche ()
Date: September 02, 2009 08:29AM

FYI, Mephisto and Thurston, by calling people who wear bluetooth douchebags, you have hurt Pgens and Meeper's feelings. They wear bluetooth all the time, in Starbucks, at the restaurant, at work, at home, and in the car. Especially Pgens, he is a cell phone aficionado.

Date: September 02, 2009 08:35AM

The main reason I like the car is the effort to make a fuel efficient car with nice
performance:

Technology:

• Offering a full-hybrid concept, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept car is powered by a three-cylinder turbodiesel and two electric motors. Overall system output is 262 kW/356 hp, maximum torque 800 Newton-metres/590 lb-ft. All-wheel drive featuring an electric motor on both the front and rear axle.
• Anticipated performance: Acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds, top speed 250 km/h (155 mph) (electronically limited) , fuel consumption in the EU test cycle 3.76 litres/100 km (equal to 75.1 mph imp), CO2 emissions 99 grams/kilometre.
• As a plug-in hybrid, BMW Vision EfficientDynamics is able to cover the entire fuel consumption drive cycle under electric power alone. Taking the sources of energy used for generating the electric power consumed into account (EU electricity mix), this reduces the CO2 emission rating to just 50 grams per kilometre.
• Electric power is generated without the slightest increase in fuel consumption through a particularly efficient concept of Brake Energy Regeneration. Energy is stored in 98 lithium polymer cells. The car is able to cover a distance of approximately 50 km/31 miles in the electric mode alone.
• Aerodynamics developed with know-how from Formula 1. CX drag coefficient optimised to just 0.22. Forward-looking energy management uses the maximum potential available in each case to minimise fuel consumption.

The style is nice, the colors on the pictured car are a bit much.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 02, 2009 08:37AM

I don't own a bluetooth device and would never wear one. It's not that hard to talk on the phone like a regular person and it looks retarded.

BlueDouche Wrote:
> FYI, Mephisto and Thurston, by calling people who
> wear bluetooth douchebags, you have hurt Pgens and
> Meeper's feelings. They wear bluetooth all the
> time, in Starbucks, at the restaurant, at work, at
> home, and in the car. Especially Pgens, he is a
> cell phone aficionado.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 02, 2009 09:43AM

Did I miss something? I didnt see one word on how many miles per gallon the thing got. There's only one reason to drive a car like that...to pick up women!

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Date: September 02, 2009 10:00AM

BMW’s new turbodiesel hybrid concept car does 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds; 75 mpg
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/bmws-new-turbodiesel-hybrid-concept-car-does-0-to-60-mph-in-48-seconds-75-mpg/496/

The original article noted it could go 32 miles on just the electric charge.

Supposedly the volt will do better on mpg, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as fast. Just thought it was an interesting car.

Date: September 02, 2009 10:03AM

Mercedes-Benz debuts hydrogen-electric, zero-emissions fuel cell car
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/mercedes-debuts-hydrogen-electric-zero-emissions-fuel-cell-car/534/

Mercedes-Benz views the development of electric cars with battery and fuel cell drives for local zero-emission driving as a means of supplementing vehicles with high-tech internal combustion engines.Advanced diesel and petrol engines will remain important for automotive applications for a long time to come - not only for individual mobility in passenger cars - especially over long distances - but, more importantly, for freight transport in trucks.

Electric vehicles, on the other hand, will increasingly be used in urban transport.

Posted by: George Soros ()
Date: September 02, 2009 10:04AM

Date: September 02, 2009 10:05AM

Or, for the SUV lover crowd...

Want a 100 mpg car? How about a green Hummer?
http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/want-a-100-mpg-car-how-about-a-green-hummer/527/

Attachments:
hummer_h3e_fuel_economy.gif

Date: September 02, 2009 10:10AM

Kind of surprising they let this research move forward. Although I suppose you could use this for plastics, and the algae would absorb CO2 when it is growing.

NASA scientist Jonathan Trent is developing a smarter way to turn algae into oil. He's created plastic osmotic containers that will float below the surface of the ocean, grow algae, and then help it bloom into oil. He says the new method is more beneficial because algae can grow in a larger area and doesn't compete with agricultural land.

Will algae fuel the car of tomorrow? Harrison Dillon, CTO of Solazyme is growing strains of algae to produce various kinds of renewable oils. He hopes that over the next few years, people will start consuming algae derived products like gasoline, household cleaners, and makeup without ever realizing it.

Hmm...

Evidently this SmartPlanet site is a collaboration of CBS and IBM.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 10:13AM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 03, 2009 02:39AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> And it's not like they wear it only when they need
> to use it. They wear it all the time in public,
> like some sort of douchey accessory. I think I'm
> supposed to be super impressed by their efficiency
> or importance or something, but I'm not.

That's the thing that rubs me the wrong way. They are wearing it like jewelry.

I've never owned one, but I have a wired earpiece and mic that I can plug into my phone whenever I need to, and then I put it away when I'm done with the phone call.

It's worse than the douchebags who have their little hip-holsters so they can quick draw their cell phone.

Unless they are air traffic controllers, or floor traders, what the fuck is so important about you that you need to have that shit in your ear 24/7 for the 3 phone calls you get a week?

If I were ever to buy one, I'd keep it in my pocket until I received a call or needed to make one. And I would put it back in my pocket as soon as I was done with the call.

All the people wearing them all seem to be day laborers, construction workers, gangsta/drug dealer wannabees and people who are impressed with their salary because the DC area is a new experience for them and nobody back home would ever dream of making what they make here.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.