HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Let California Burn
Posted by: Smokey Da Bear ()
Date: September 01, 2009 05:05PM

Let the CA fires burn these houses down and clear the land then we wouldn't have to worry about this tinderbox area that catches on fire every September.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let California Burn
Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: September 01, 2009 05:26PM

As long as there's brush and trees, the fires will break out every year or so; it's been that way for years.

The fires and earth quakes keep everyone on their toes.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: September 01, 2009 07:37PM

Forest fires are nature's way of controlling shit like underbrush. The longer we try to inflict our will upon nature by building in areas prone to forest fires, then fighting the fires thereby not allowing nature to take it's course, the worse it will be when the shit hits the fan.

It's not much different than all the dikes and levees built all along the Mississippi River. All those do are stifle the river's natural tendency to bow and snake along. Eventually nature is going to give us a big "fuck you" and blow through that shit and get back to doing what it should be doing in the first place. And then citizens will cry and blame the government.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: September 01, 2009 09:55PM

It is possible to properly manage fire-prone areas, and to build properly nearby.

But developers don't want to spend the extra money, buyers don't want to pay "too much" and the counties and states don't want to have additional expenses.

It's funny, because what they "save" in front-end costs ends up being a fraction of what it ultimately costs them on the back-end, when fire rampages through neighborhoods and towns.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 01, 2009 10:01PM

Brilliant document in San Diego...

http://www.sandiego.gov/fireandems/pdf/brushpdf.pdf

Read the fine print...

NOTE: Brush management activities are prohibited within coastal sage scrub, maritime succulent scrub, and coastal sage-chaparral habitats from March 1 through August 15, during Gnatcatcher nesting season, except where documented to the satisfaction of the City Mayor’s Designee that the thinning and pruning would be consistent with conditions of species coverage described in the City of San Diego’s MSCP Subarea Plan.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 01, 2009 10:22PM

I cant wait until VA under Gov McDonnell allows off shore drilling..and god forbid some sort of oli leak occurs. I guess turds like RV will think environmentalists are delusional also.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Date: September 01, 2009 10:23PM

Woot, off shore drilling!!

Drill baby, Drill!

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 01, 2009 10:30PM

Yes...let everyone keep that issue in their mind when they vote for Governor..a vote for McDonnell is nothing less then supporting our continued reliance on petroleum for the forseeable future.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2009 10:31PM by Vince(1).

Date: September 01, 2009 10:38PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes...let everyone keep that issue in their mind
> when they vote for Governor..a vote for McDonnell
> is nothing less then supporting our continued
> reliance on petroleum for the forseeable future.

Allowing off-shore drilling is not equal to supporting a reliance on oil.

Banning research in alternative energies would be supporting a reliance on oil.

Allowing off-shore drilling recognizes that we CURRENTLY use oil, and there's some there for the taking.

BTW, as much as I hated all that drill-baby-drill bullshit Palin spewed, and at the risk of sounding, to partisan hacks, like I support her, when has there ever been a spill related to off-shore drilling. I'm not saying there hasn't been some sort of "spill" or whatever, but I only know of the big spills from oil tanker ships, which drilling off-shore would actually reduce, since there's less we need to ship from the ME.

(I guess I would only sound like Palin or her supporters if I had just said "we can shoot a moose, but we can't drill in the ocean!?!" or some other retarded statement.)

Date: September 01, 2009 10:44PM

Yes well, you know TM, it is much better to allow Cuba to work with the Russians to exploit oil fields that run into ours, then it is to actually make use of the oil ourselves. I mean - what would be the sense of that?

And no - I don't think anything I have ever stated here shows I have any support for continued reliance on oil, but Vince would not remember pertinent facts when trying to criticize me.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:46PM

Before this devolves into another "who's smarter at politics" discussion, I'll address the original topic.

Some species of trees NEED forest fires to propagate their seeds. However, I was a tiny bit excited to hear it was approaching downtown LA. A fire would be a good start.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: September 01, 2009 11:50PM

Hey, I was addressing the original topic - Vince started it!! Wah!!! :)

LOL

If LA Burned we would never hear the end of it.

Date: September 01, 2009 11:54PM

It almost seems to be a race - will California burn, or become an island?

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: September 01, 2009 11:57PM

50 bucks says Island first, then it will burn, become its own country, then become a communist country.

Date: September 02, 2009 12:37AM

Well, some fools say that it already is a communist country.

Nevermind that it has a republican governor (who just happens to be the son in law of Ted Kennedy.) If that isn't confusing enough for folks who prefer to view the world as either "liberal" or "conservative".

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:21AM

Smokey Da Bear Wrote:
> Let the CA fires burn these houses down and clear
> the land...

+1

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: September 02, 2009 06:56AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> Before this devolves into another "who's smarter
> at politics" discussion, I'll address the original
> topic.
>
> Some species of trees NEED forest fires to
> propagate their seeds. However, I was a tiny bit
> excited to hear it was approaching downtown LA. A
> fire would be a good start.

If just half of the City of LA was taken out by the fires, the CA budget would turn from negative to positive overnight.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 02, 2009 07:18AM

LA is great. Much better than any of the east coast cities.

MrMephisto Wrote:
> Before this devolves into another "who's smarter
> at politics" discussion, I'll address the original
> topic.
>
> Some species of trees NEED forest fires to
> propagate their seeds. However, I was a tiny bit
> excited to hear it was approaching downtown LA. A
> fire would be a good start.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.