HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Snake/Spider Owners = Creepy?
Posted by: Petz ()
Date: August 31, 2009 03:48PM

I was looking at adopting a tarantula or even a ball python. There seems to be a stigma out there that reptile and spider owners are creepy, is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake/Spider Owners = Creepy?
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: August 31, 2009 05:21PM

I'm way too irresponsible to own a spider or a snake, but I've often wanted to. And, people think I'm creepy.

I'm going to go with "yes."

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Lemmiwinks ()
Date: August 31, 2009 05:39PM

Gerbil owners are far more creepier.

Trust me. :-}
Attachments:
Lemmiwinks.JPG

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: August 31, 2009 06:24PM

I used to own a Columbian Red Tail boa constrictor. He died a few years ago, but he was about 16 years old, which is good for captivity. I got him originally because it seemed "cool", but in reality, they're boring fucking pets and a pain in the ass to take care of. I wouldn't own another.

True story - back in the day, I brought some chick home one night and just when things were going down, she looks over and sees the snake (in its cage) and totally freaks out. I offered to 1. put a blanket over the cage and then 2. move it out of the room. She got real bitchy and said she couldn't be in the same apartment as a snake and asked for a ride home. I told her to fuck off and take the bus. And she did.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 31, 2009 07:59PM

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: August 31, 2009 08:31PM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>

Right there is pretty much the only reason most people get snakes. The average person, after they realize they only get to watch that about once every week and a half, gets bored with it. They'd be better off just watching it on YouTube.

Also, you have to go to the pet store and get a feeder mouse every week and a half. Or, you raise your own, but that can become expensive and dirty. And, you're supposed to stun the animal before you throw it in; a terrified mouse can hurt a snake pretty bad on occasion.

Snakes are pushing the limit of what I call a pet. A pet is something that you care about, understands when you show it, and cares about you. You're just another thing to hang on, as far as the snake is concerned.

Spiders are not pets to me; they're decoration. A spider literally sits there and does nothing until it eats. Sort of like a house plant.

NOTE: This does not apply if you exclusively date goth chicks or weird girls. They generally think it's hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 31, 2009 08:36PM

A friend of mine had an African rock python. He had to build an enclosed pen for this thing, in a room that was tightly locked and sealed at all times. He fed it live chickens and kept a kiddy pool filled with water in there so the snake could bathe itself. This scary creature grew over 14 feet. At first he thought it was cool, but I could tell it was a real chore for him. People (myself included) were afraid to spend the night there. He had this thing for over ten years, and eventually it started to become aggressive. It managed to escape it's pen a few times, and once he brought it out and it lunged at his mother-in-law's dog. The behavior was enough to freak him out so he tried to get rid of it. For months, he called a bunch of zoos, reptile rescue centers, snake enthusiasts, etc. but no one wanted it.

So he did what most normal people do: he drove it out into the desert and shot it.

Moral: Large wild snakes aren't good pets.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 31, 2009 08:49PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Moral: Large wild snakes aren't good pets.

Which is why Florida is having so much problems with boa constrictors in the Everglades and the (awesome) boa vs. alligator battles.

Posted by: Dolomite M'Fer ()
Date: August 31, 2009 10:11PM

Alias has a Bob rock python which he keeps nestled in the warmth of his innre thighs. If not for this warmth, the python would be flaccid and Alias would be quite the lonely lad.

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: August 31, 2009 10:14PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.