HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
This Joker Writes The Tax Code?!?!
Posted by: Accountant ()
Date: August 28, 2009 12:37PM

When normal people happen to "find" their own money, it might mean a twenty left in a winter coat, or discovering change beneath the sofa cushions. But if you're Charlie Rangel, it means doubling your net worth.

Earlier this month the Chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee "amended" his 2007 financial disclosure form—to the tune of more than a half-million dollars in previously unreported assets and income. That number may be as high as $780,000, because Congress's ethics rules only require the Members to report their finances within broad ranges. This voyage of personal financial discovery brings Mr. Rangel's net worth for 2007 to somewhere between $1.028 million and $2.495 million, while his previous statement came in at $516,015 and $1.316 million.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203706604574376720192072820.html

-----------

I love all this fucking change and draining the swamp shit......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This Joker Writes The Tax Code?!?!
Posted by: gop lamer ()
Date: August 28, 2009 02:47PM

Accountant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When normal people happen to "find" their own
> money, it might mean a twenty left in a winter
> coat, or discovering change beneath the sofa
> cushions. But if you're Charlie Rangel, it means
> doubling your net worth.
>
> Earlier this month the Chairman of the tax-writing
> Ways and Means Committee "amended" his 2007
> financial disclosure form—to the tune of more than
> a half-million dollars in previously unreported
> assets and income. That number may be as high as
> $780,000, because Congress's ethics rules only
> require the Members to report their finances
> within broad ranges. This voyage of personal
> financial discovery brings Mr. Rangel's net worth
> for 2007 to somewhere between $1.028 million and
> $2.495 million, while his previous statement came
> in at $516,015 and $1.316 million.
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240529702037
> 06604574376720192072820.html
>
> -----------
>
> I love all this fucking change and draining the
> swamp shit......

stupid and gay post

Posted by: iluvthewsj ()
Date: August 28, 2009 03:16PM

gop lamer post -1

Posted by: rangout ()
Date: August 28, 2009 03:17PM

gop lamer Wrote:
> stupid and gay post

stupid and gay for those who don't earn enough to pay taxes or who idolize politicians ...

Posted by: rangin ()
Date: August 28, 2009 03:53PM

rangout Wrote:
> gop lamer Wrote:
> > stupid and gay post
>
> stupid and gay for those who don't earn enough to
> pay taxes or who idolize politicians ...

stupid and gay for those who care in the first place

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: August 28, 2009 03:56PM

When you're a powerful Congressman and working diligently to increase tax rates to pay for President Obama's health-care plan, we suppose it's easy to lose track of one of your checking accounts. That would be the one at the federal credit union with a balance somewhere between $250,001 and maybe as high as $500,000. And when you're crunched for time and pulling together bills to pass in a rush, we guess, too, that you might overlook several other investment accounts, even if some of them are sizable, such as the ones Mr. Rangel missed at JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Oppenheimer and BlackRock.

Oh, and those vacant properties in Glassboro, in southern Jersey? Everybody in Manhattan tries not to think much about New Jersey, so those lots and their as-much-as-$15,000 value must also have slipped down the memory hole. (The New York Post reported yesterday that Mr. Rangel failed to pay property taxes for two of the lots, according to the county clerk's office.)

The Chairman probably isn't doing a lot of dining at KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell or Long John Silver's, either, which may explain why he didn't disclose the $1,001 to $15,000 in stock he owns in Yum Brands, the conglomerate that runs those chain restaurants. Compared to his undisclosed portfolio stake in PepsiCo—$15,001 to $50,000—that's practically a rounding error.

Among other issues, Mr. Rangel is currently under investigation regarding his use of four rent-stabilized apartments at New York City's tony Lenox Terrace and soliciting donations with his official letterhead for the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service at City College of New York, which was itself built with a $1.9 million earmark. Yet another part of the probe is his failure to report $75,000 in income from a rental villa at the beachfront Punta Cana Yacht Club, in the Dominican Republic.

Much like the police, these guys who write the laws are not above the law. Seems once you have been in Congress long enough you know how to game the system.

Date: August 28, 2009 06:41PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08282009/news/regionalnews/oops__charlie_forgot_this_1m_house_186849.htm

But the amended filings show that after the sale of a property on West 132nd Street, his outside income that year was somewhere between $118,000 and $1.04 million.

The forms filed by House members provide for a range of value on such transactions, so the precise number isn't publicly known.

Rangel also lowballed his income by as much as $70,000 in 2002, $46,000 in 2003 and $117,000 in 2006, records show.

Only in 2005 did Rangel reveal his total outside income.

Members of Congress are required to disclose all their assets and outside income in an effort to expose possible undue influences.

Rangel's office insists the Harlem Democrat did not conceal any outside income from the IRS and is paid up on his taxes.

The Post revealed yesterday that Rangel is in arrears on New Jersey property taxes -- for property that for more than 15 years he failed to disclose to Congress and the public.

Another area of wide discrepancy in his financial-disclosure forms is where he's required to list financial transactions.

Every year between 2002 and 2007, Rangel failed to include all his deals for the year, according to records.

On his 2002 and 2003 financial-disclosure statements, Rangel did not include any transactions whatsoever, according to papers on file with the House clerk.

But the amended records filed this month show as much as $310,000 in business deals in 2002 and up to $80,000 in transactions in 2003.

In 2004, Rangel left off his disclosure form as much as $430,000 in stock transactions, amended records show. One of those deals he did include as a transaction on his original disclosure was the sale of the brownstone on West 132nd Street.

But in the same report, Rangel failed to include proceeds from that sale as outside income. That has been revised in the amended report.

Hmm... maybe this explains the logic behind Libya being elected to head up the human rights commission of the UN in 2003...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2672029.stm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 06:43PM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: poor baby ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:21AM

iluvthewsj Wrote:
> gop lamer post -1

Oh, poor wittwle baby got his fweewings hurt. Did somebody say sometwing bad about your bewoved Obama fwiends?

that's right, go suck on it - fag..........

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: August 29, 2009 02:34AM

poor baby Wrote:
> iluvthewsj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > gop lamer post -1
>
>
> Oh, poor wittwle baby got his fweewings hurt. Did
> somebody say sometwing bad about your bewoved
> Obama fwiends?
>
> that's right, go suck on it - fag..........

if you to talk shit how bout you register you fuckin pussy.

Posted by: Pobre Cita Tambien ()
Date: August 29, 2009 02:49AM

Porque yo me gusta hablar mierda con personas que sabe nada. Peudo tocar la tambourine puto.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: August 29, 2009 02:57AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
>
> Much like the police, these guys who write the
> laws are not above the law. Seems once you have
> been in Congress long enough you know how to game
> the system.

Would you at least admit that it isn't a party thing, but is a matter of being IN POWER??

Why do you fight for one side when you should know that both sides are screwing us?

Date: August 29, 2009 07:56AM

Thurston, I have said repeatedly I want them all replaced. At the moment the Democrats have the ball. I am sick of any of these guys that are corrupt and gaming the system.

On the opposite side, while I am someone who believes in "family values" to some extent - I don't believe ANY politician should be judged on the conduct of their relationships at home where they don't cross the line of illegality. So if they are gay, lesbian, straight, whatever I honestly don't care. For instance I could give a shit that Edwards had an affair and a baby with someone else. That is between him, his wife, and whomever he feels judges his actions in life. Bill Clinton and Monica - could care less other than if he broke the law. Larry Craig, who cares if he wants to play footsie or have sex with a guy. Why isn't prostitution legal in the entire country? Something to do with religion I am sure...

We need a smaller Federal Government, period. If you haven't seen that from all my arguments here, I am not sure what you missed. And yeah, that means the staff of all these folks that lord it over the rest of us. That means they ALL should get benefits like the rest of us, not like corporate CEOs with golden parachutes. All of them should fly coach on the government's dime unless they want to make up the difference out of personal funds, etc. Of all the amendments they came up with, they should have had one that specifically prohibited Congress from determining their own compensation.

Yes TM, both sides are screwing us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 07:57AM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: Arty ()
Date: August 29, 2009 09:01AM

Democrats don't mind higher taxes. They don't pay them anyway.

Posted by: nobuenoespanol ()
Date: August 29, 2009 12:34PM

it's Puedo, not Peudo for "I can" and Kenny P. is right...you're still a Pussy.

Posted by: Steve Wilhite ()
Date: August 29, 2009 12:58PM

Democrats don't mind higher taxes. They don't pay them anyway.

A big +!

Date: August 29, 2009 06:43PM

For Thurston
Attachments:
image010.jpg

Date: September 02, 2009 08:59AM

Ah, it gets better. I suppose since he has now become experienced as a tax cheat, it makes sense he would slip legislation into the Health Care Bill to deal with IRS tax issues...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09012009/news/nationalnews/hypocrite_charlie__punish_tax_slip_ups_187541.htm

The changes approved by the House Ways and Means Committee that Rangel chairs would strip away legal defenses and pile higher penalties on corporate and individual taxpayers facing IRS proceedings for what they claim are unintentional mistakes, experts said.

Rangel's bill would:

* Punish those who fail to alert the IRS to potentially questionable tax exemptions.

* Bar the IRS from waiving penalties against taxpayers who clearly erred in good faith.

* Double fines in certain circumstances.

"The bill raises penalties and eliminates many of the reasonable defenses that taxpayers have always been able to use when honest mistakes are uncovered," one lawyer told The Post.

Although some folks have put up counter proposals lol

Rangel Rule Would Eliminate Tax Penalties
http://www.fundmasteryblog.com/2009/01/30/rangel-rule-would-eliminate-tax-penalties/

Carter, a former longtime Texas judge, today introduced the Rangel Rule Act of 2009, HR 735, which would prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from charging penalties and interest on back taxes against U.S. citizens. Under the proposed law, any taxpayer who wrote “Rangel Rule” on their return when paying back taxes would be immune from penalties and interest.

“We must show the American people that Congress is following the same law, and the same legal process as we expect them to follow,” says Carter. “That has not been done in the ongoing case against Chairman Rangel, nor in the instance of our new Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. If we don’t hold our highest elected officials to the same standards as regular working folks, we owe it to our constituents to change those standards so everyone is abiding by the same law. Americans believe in blind justice, which shows no favoritism to the wealthy or powerful.”

Carter also said the tax law change will provide good economic stimulus benefits, as it would free many taxpayers from massive debts to the IRS, restoring those funds to the free market to help create jobs.

Lol

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/The-clock-is-ticking-on-tax-cheat-Charlie-Rangel-8177857-56361837.html

I am still looking for the specific language of the changes he has proposed. But on the surface it looks pretty funny.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 02, 2009 10:56AM

Rangel is a fine Congressman..elected by the people of NYC's 15th district for many years now. He need not explain himself to anyone in VA. If he has cheated on taxes let the IRS handle it.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Date: September 02, 2009 11:46AM

Yeah, if only he paid the penalties like everyone else is expected to.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: September 03, 2009 02:20AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Thurston, I have said repeatedly I want them all
> replaced. At the moment the Democrats have the
> ball. I am sick of any of these guys that are
> corrupt and gaming the system.
>

Then we both agree fundamentally. But you do seem to take the devil's advocate approach in defending republicans.

> On the opposite side, while I am someone who
> believes in "family values" to some extent - I
> don't believe ANY politician should be judged on
> the conduct of their relationships at home where
> they don't cross the line of illegality. So if
> they are gay, lesbian, straight, whatever I
> honestly don't care. For instance I could give a
> shit that Edwards had an affair and a baby with
> someone else. That is between him, his wife, and
> whomever he feels judges his actions in life. Bill
> Clinton and Monica - could care less other than if
> he broke the law. Larry Craig, who cares if he
> wants to play footsie or have sex with a guy. Why
> isn't prostitution legal in the entire country?
> Something to do with religion I am sure...

What anyone does in their bedroom, or the oval office, or an airport bathroom stall is their own business. At least as far as busting a nut in whatever form suits them. That shouldn't be an issue.

>
> We need a smaller Federal Government, period. If
> you haven't seen that from all my arguments here,
> I am not sure what you missed. And yeah, that
> means the staff of all these folks that lord it
> over the rest of us. That means they ALL should
> get benefits like the rest of us, not like
> corporate CEOs with golden parachutes. All of them
> should fly coach on the government's dime unless
> they want to make up the difference out of
> personal funds, etc. Of all the amendments they
> came up with, they should have had one that
> specifically prohibited Congress from determining
> their own compensation.
>
> Yes TM, both sides are screwing us.

Both sides work in concert. To defend one side over the other just because one is in power and the other isn't only serves to perpetuate this divide and conquer strategy, and will never break the cycle.

The first step towards fixing all the problems is to realize that the problems are created by BOTH parties, and until people figure it out and throw all the bums out, nothing is going to change.

In fact, it goes a little bit deeper. It's not really all the parties' fault, but the machines that drive both parties. There are corporate interests and deeply vested money that controls both parties.

Date: September 03, 2009 02:33PM

Health care reform means more power for the IRS
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
September 2, 2009

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Health-care-reform-means-more-power-for-the-IRS-56781377.html

But if the plan envisioned by President Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats is enacted, the primary federal bureaucracy responsible for implementing and enforcing national health care will be an old and familiar one: the Internal Revenue Service. Under the Democrats' health care proposals, the already powerful — and already feared — IRS would wield even more power and extend its reach even farther into the lives of ordinary Americans, and the presidentially-appointed head of the new health care bureaucracy would have access to confidential IRS information about millions of individual taxpayers.

In short, health care reform, as currently envisioned by Democratic leaders, would be built on the foundation of an expanded and more intrusive IRS.

Under the various proposals now on the table, the IRS would become the main agency for determining who has an "acceptable" health insurance plan; for finding and punishing those who don't have such a plan; for subsidizing individual health insurance costs through the issuance of a tax credits; and for enforcing the rules on those who attempt to opt out, abuse, or game the system. A substantial portion of H.R. 3200, the House health care bill, is devoted to amending the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 in order to give the IRS the authority to perform these new duties.

Posted by: truthiness ()
Date: September 03, 2009 02:41PM

That chart is missing Hoover. If included, it would show a much clearer snapshot.

Date: September 03, 2009 03:54PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Health care reform means more power for the IRS
> By: Byron York
> Chief Political Correspondent
> September 2, 2009
>
> http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Health-
> care-reform-means-more-power-for-the-IRS-56781377.
> html
>
> ...
> But if the plan envisioned by President Barack
> Obama and Congressional Democrats is enacted, the
> primary federal bureaucracy responsible for
> implementing and enforcing national health care
> will be an old and familiar one: the Internal
> Revenue Service. Under the Democrats' health care
> proposals, the already powerful — and already
> feared — IRS would wield even more power and
> extend its reach even farther into the lives of
> ordinary Americans, and the
> presidentially-appointed head of the new health
> care bureaucracy would have access to confidential
> IRS information about millions of individual
> taxpayers.
>
> In short, health care reform, as currently
> envisioned by Democratic leaders, would be built
> on the foundation of an expanded and more
> intrusive IRS.
>
> Under the various proposals now on the table, the
> IRS would become the main agency for determining
> who has an "acceptable" health insurance plan; for
> finding and punishing those who don't have such a
> plan; for subsidizing individual health insurance
> costs through the issuance of a tax credits; and
> for enforcing the rules on those who attempt to
> opt out, abuse, or game the system. A substantial
> portion of H.R. 3200, the House health care bill,
> is devoted to amending the Internal Revenue Code
> of 1986 in order to give the IRS the authority to
> perform these new duties.
> ...
>

so what! and if no one looked for these abuses you'd be complaining about lack of oversight.

Date: September 03, 2009 03:58PM

Thurston Moore Wrote:

>
> Both sides work in concert. To defend one side
> over the other just because one is in power and
> the other isn't only serves to perpetuate this
> divide and conquer strategy, and will never break
> the cycle.
>

The truth is no longer have "both sides" working in concert. What we have now is one working for the failure of health care reform...not so much on content...but the mere fact that it's failure means their success..their power..their influence.

Date: September 03, 2009 04:52PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> The truth is no longer have "both sides" working
> in concert. What we have now is one working for
> the failure of health care reform...not so much on
> content...but the mere fact that it's failure
> means their success..their power..their influence.

Seriously Thurston - I don't go anywhere near this far in my responses. He is on another level of "blind faith"

Attachments:
orly.gif

Date: September 03, 2009 06:57PM

(Washington Post)
Sorry, Charlie
Rep. Rangel must step aside as chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/02/AR2009090203082_pf.html

Much is expected of elected officials. Much more is expected and demanded of those entrusted with chairmanships and the power that comes with them, especially when it involves the nation's purse strings. From all that we've seen thus far, Mr. Rangel has violated that trust continually and seemingly without care.

I am sure that now that the Post has called for him to step aside, even Vince would agree.

Date: September 03, 2009 07:34PM

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty...the committee reviewing possible ethics violations should make their findings public ASAP.

Date: September 03, 2009 07:48PM

You need the ethics committee to tell you the guy admitted to not paying his taxes for years? Only after it was pointed out to him of course.

The double standard is THICK around here for sure.

Date: September 03, 2009 09:00PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> You need the ethics committee to tell you the guy
> admitted to not paying his taxes for years? Only
> after it was pointed out to him of course.
>
> The double standard is THICK around here for sure.

What are you comparing to claim a double standard? Which republican have I said should resign prior to being found guilty?

Date: September 04, 2009 12:24AM

As he digs himself a deeper hole...

Rangel Plays Race Card, Says Obamacare The Victim
http://wcbstv.com/local/charles.rangel.race.2.1162895.html

Sometimes people should just shut up while they are ahead..

Already under fire for a wide range of ethical questions, Rangel played the race card in a health care forum the other night, saying racial bias against President Obama is behind opposition to health care reform.

"Some Americans have not gotten over the fact that Obama is President of the United States. They go to sleep wondering, 'how did this happen?'"

Rangel also likened the fight to provide health care for the uninsured to the fight for civil rights.

"Why do black people have to bargain for what is theirs? Why do we have to wait for the right to vote? Why can't we get what God has given us? And that is the right to live as human beings and not negotiate with white southerners and not court the votes. Just do the right thing," Rangel said.

Rangel's incendiary remarks come as the congressman filed amended financial reports to the House Ethics Committee admitting that he forgot to report millions of dollars in assets and income.

Financial forgetfulness is apparently a disease that is spreading to his staff. Two top aides -- chief of staff Jim Capel and Rangel legal counsel George Dalley -- are among about a dozen staffers on Rangel's tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee that have filed amended financial reports recently. Capel did not file any financial disclosure statements for six years.

Rangel's own forgetfulness prompted the political important Washington Post to demand Thursday that Rangel step down as chair of Ways and Means.

They see ghosts behind every door it seems. No matter what criticisms you level at health care, or the fact that an idiot doesn't properly files taxes for years. Somehow it is because the rest of us are racist that these problems have occurred.

Time for this guy to find a new hobby in life. Not only is he corrupt, so is his staff evidently. Or are they all just suffering from "senior moments"?

Date: September 04, 2009 12:30AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Seriously Thurston - I don't go anywhere near this
> far in my responses. He is on another level of
> "blind faith"

No doubt. The difference is like night and day.

Date: September 04, 2009 12:33AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> Thurston Moore Wrote:
>
> >
> > Both sides work in concert. To defend one side
> > over the other just because one is in power and
> > the other isn't only serves to perpetuate this
> > divide and conquer strategy, and will never
> break
> > the cycle.
> >
>
> The truth is no longer have "both sides" working
> in concert. What we have now is one working for
> the failure of health care reform...not so much on
> content...but the mere fact that it's failure
> means their success..their power..their influence.

No. This is all circus.

As in, "Bread and Circuses".

When all is said and done, both parties are going to pass a bill that ends up empowering both parties, and benefits their constituencies (and we all know the people are not their constituencies, anymore.)

Date: September 04, 2009 05:58PM

Boehner Urges Rep. Rangel to Step Down as Chairman of Ways & Means Committee
http://republicanleader.house.gov/blog/?p=604

Date: September 04, 2009 06:50PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Boehner Urges Rep. Rangel to Step Down as Chairman
> of Ways & Means Committee
> http://republicanleader.house.gov/blog/?p=604

That and $.50 will buy you a cup of coffee..oh wait, coffee costs more then that...aint nothin gonna happen then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 06:51PM by Vince(1).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.