HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tom Ridge pressured to raise terror alert
Posted by: Voter ()
Date: August 20, 2009 12:29PM

I shouldn't be surprised about this, but somehow I just am. I guess I'm just astonished that Ridge actually admits it. And why isn't this bigger news?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/20/tom-ridge-i-was-pressured_n_264127.html

In a new book, former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge reveals new details on politicization under President Bush, reports US News & World Report's Paul Bedard. Among other things, Ridge admits that he was pressured to raise the terror alert to help Bush win re-election in 2004.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Ridge pressured to raise terror alert
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: August 20, 2009 01:14PM

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washington-whispers/2009/08/19/tom-ridge-on-national-security-after-911.html

Side note - these are the things the publisher is "revealing" to promote their book.

Among the headlines promoted by publisher Thomas Dunne Books: Ridge was never invited to sit in on National Security Council meetings; was "blindsided" by the FBI in morning Oval Office meetings because the agency withheld critical information from him; found his urgings to block Michael Brown from being named head of the emergency agency blamed for the Hurricane Katrina disaster ignored; and was pushed to raise the security alert on the eve of President Bush's re-election, something he saw as politically motivated and worth resigning over.

Anything taken out of context in this way is suspect, especially when it is used as "promotional" material. I say read the book when it comes out - right now it is being used in a way to get people interested. Most times when it comes to the actual context of those statements you find something quite different was implied. Just like these tidbits out of health care legislation.

EDIT: Link from the publisher's site with their posted preview:
http://us.macmillan.com/book.aspx?isbn=9780312534875

A “law and order” Republican who was on the shortlist to be John McCain’s running mate in 2008, Ridge writes with refreshing candor on both the successes and missteps of the DHS. He details the obstacles faced in his new post—often within the administration itself—as well as the failures of Congress to provide for critical homeland security needs, and the irresponsible use of terrorism by both parties to curry favors with voters. Ridge also reveals:
• How the DHS was pressured to connect homeland security to the international “war on terror”
• How Ridge effectively thwarted a plan to raise the national security alert just before the 2004 Election
• How Ridge had pushed for a plan (defeated because of turf wars) to integrate DHS and FEMA disaster management in New Orleans and other areas before Hurricane Katrina

Finally, Ridge offers a prescriptive look to the future, advocating ways that America may reaffirm its safety—including his provocative support for a national ID card program and for comprehensive immigration reform—without sacrificing personal liberty.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 01:18PM by Registered Voter.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.