HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Another Republican Bites the Dust
Posted by: ยง ()
Date: August 03, 2009 05:26PM

Here we go again. The GOP implosion continues.

He even taught Sunday school and preached the importance of family values. Do as he says, but not as he does? Shocker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Republican Tenn. Senator Has Affair With Intern, Resigns

NASHVILLE, Tenn. โ€“ The Tennessee state senator said he was opposed to sex outside marriage, but his private life told a different story: He was having an affair with his 22-year-old intern.

When an extortion plot exposed married Republican Sen. Paul Stanley's illicit relationship, he said he would be "clearing up" misimpressions later. He's now clearing out his office, the latest politician caught in a sex scandal, this one made worse by not coming clean.

"If you can't explain what you've done to your constituents in 30 seconds or less in a way they would accept, then don't do it," said Bruce Oppenheimer, a political science professor at Vanderbilt University. "It's amazing how many elected officials violate that very important conventional wisdom."

As news of the affair broke last month, the 47-year-old Stanley dodged reporters and issued a statement calling himself a victim. The suburban Memphis lawmaker, a married father of two who taught Sunday school, said he wanted to set the record straight. But, he insisted, prosecutors had told him not to talk.

The details that emerged, however, did nothing to vindicate him. Court documents showed he had admitted the affair to investigators and acknowledged taking explicit photos of intern McKensie Morrison in his Nashville apartment. Prosecutors issued a statement saying he was not restricted from discussing the case. After a week of mounting pressure, he reluctantly resigned.

Even as he quit, he tried to blame Morrison, suggesting in a radio interview that the intern might face charges in the extortion case.

Her boyfriend, Joel Watts, is the only person charged in the matter, accused of trying to extort $10,000 from Stanley in April. Authorities have said they do not plan to file more charges.

Investigators say Watts demanded the money in exchange for not selling Stanley's explicit photos of Morrison to the media. Morrison and Watts have said Stanley was the first to offer to pay.

Stanley kept constituents and colleagues โ€” even the Republican speaker of the Senate โ€” in the dark until the first court hearing in the case on July 20.

Tennessee Democratic operative Mark Brown, who blasted Republicans' handling of the incident on his blog, said Stanley's biggest mistake was appearing dishonest.

"First and foremost, tell the truth," he said. "Crisis management does not mean that you alter facts. Tell the truth, and then shut up."

Moments after submitting his resignation letter, Stanley went on a talk radio show in Memphis to say that his actions did not shake his moral ideals.

In nearly a decade in the Legislature, he repeatedly cited his belief in abstinence outside marriage as he opposed gay marriage, adoption by gay couples and family planning funding for Planned Parenthood.

"Whatever I stood for and advocated, I still believe to be true," he said last week. "And just because I fell far short of what God's standard was for me and my wife it doesn't mean that that standard is reduced in the least bit."

Voters were outraged, posting hundreds of comments on newspaper Web sites and writing letters to the editor.

"He wants others to stay out of his business while he jumps blindly into theirs," Dot Truitt Walk of Memphis said in a letter to The Commercial Appeal. "All of those sanctimonious hypocrites should remember this."

Other Republicans across the country have recently been caught in extramarital affairs, among them U.S. Sens. John Ensign of Nevada and David Vitter of Louisiana. Then there's South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, who on his return from a secret visit to his mistress in Argentina confessed his affair at a tearful, rambling press conference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Republican Bites the Dust
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 03, 2009 05:34PM

i dont know how politicians and other politically linked people cant manage to pay their taxes and keep it in their pants.

i mean, come on people, it's not rocket science surgery!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: WhyPickOnRepublicans? ()
Date: August 03, 2009 06:16PM

Posted by: Lippy ()
Date: August 03, 2009 06:18PM

Another holy Republican, oh wait, just another Republican lair and fake.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: August 03, 2009 06:21PM

The issue appears to be that most Republicans talk about morals and then screw up.

Democrats don't seem to care so much about theirs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 06:25PM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 03, 2009 06:39PM

She looked like a hottie, from what pics I can find.

Posted by: mclovin ()
Date: August 04, 2009 10:28AM

What a farce.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: August 04, 2009 10:47AM

Government just shouldn't be in the business of regulating morals or religious belief onto the masses. That's were the outrage comes time and again - these right winger nutters spewing their moralising and all along committing the very acts they oppose.

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: August 04, 2009 10:59AM

Hillary wanted to outlaw violent video games due to "moral" reasons. I guess she is a "right wing nutter"? Both parties try to take moral stances and both fail.

Also please be specific and cite a regulating of morals or religious belief, voted for and passed only by republicans, that affects YOU. Please provide House and Senate bill numbers so votes can be viewed.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 04, 2009 11:06AM

conVince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hillary wanted to outlaw violent video games due
> to "moral" reasons. I guess she is a "right wing
> nutter"?

Well, if she then went out and shot someone with a sawed off shotgun, then yeah, she'd be a hypocrite.

The point is not about taking a moral stance. It's about violating the morals you are professing to believe in.

Date: August 04, 2009 11:23AM

As if only the Republicans are guilty of that. Bill Clinton said he was a Christian and violated a few rules there. I know in this time period everyone loves to pick on Republicans for this, but they don't have the monopoly on such behavior.

Kerry and Kennedy are excellent examples, calling themselves "catholics" when it is convenient, but being the staunchest defenders of abortion of the bunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 11:23AM by conVince.

Date: August 04, 2009 11:35AM

Clinton didn't spew alot of "moral majority" nonsense. Calling yourself a christian means you go to a christian church, not much else.

Kennedy and Kerry aren't hypocrites. There's nothing in the bible that says abortion is a sin. The catholic church thinks it's murder, but that doesn't mean you have to believe everything your church tells you (unless you are a repblican running for office).

conVince Wrote:
> As if only the Republicans are guilty of that.
> Bill Clinton said he was a Christian and violated
> a few rules there. I know in this time period
> everyone loves to pick on Republicans for this,
> but they don't have the monopoly on such
> behavior.
>
> Kerry and Kennedy are excellent examples, calling
> themselves "catholics" when it is convenient, but
> being the staunchest defenders of abortion of the
> bunch.

Posted by: Johnny Reid ()
Date: August 04, 2009 11:41AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Clinton didn't spew alot of "moral majority"
> nonsense.

John Edwards did. How'd that work out for him?

Date: August 04, 2009 11:52AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Kennedy and Kerry aren't hypocrites. There's
> nothing in the bible that says abortion is a sin.
> The catholic church thinks it's murder, but that
> doesn't mean you have to believe everything your
> church tells you (unless you are a repblican
> running for office).

One could conceivably argue that the bible has some passages that support abortion...

http://www.ffrf.org/nontracts/abortion.php

Date: August 04, 2009 11:54AM

Johnny Reid Wrote:
>
> John Edwards did. How'd that work out for him?

I'm not sure how good she was in the sack, so I don't know how it worked out?

Posted by: bring out the dead ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:05PM

someone find a pic of this intern
the john edwards intern was smokin hot

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 04, 2009 12:13PM

Idiot, Edward's chick was a camerawoman.

Date: August 04, 2009 12:34PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Clinton didn't spew alot of "moral majority"
> nonsense. Calling yourself a christian means you
> go to a christian church, not much else.
>
> Kennedy and Kerry aren't hypocrites.

Why limit it to religion? How about Dianne Feinstein who sits there and beats people up over the environment and electric vehicles, while the LA Times reported she owned 3 SUVs? All politicians are hypocrites, and saying only republicans are hypocrites doesn't make any sense.

Date: August 04, 2009 12:36PM

conVince Wrote:
>
> saying only republicans are hypocrites doesn't make any sense.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense. Which is why I didn't say that.

Posted by: Hunky ()
Date: August 04, 2009 05:56PM

Huh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 04:36PM by Hunky.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: August 04, 2009 06:06PM

Hey um Jive Turkey... er Hunky... um, maybe you could actually post something besides mindless drivel?

Maybe you can just stick to posting under your own name, or is it just that you want to bolster your thread views?

lol.
Attachments:
ohno2.gif

Posted by: conVince. ()
Date: August 04, 2009 09:26PM

I hate myself and my small penis.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.