HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why don't men like horses anymore?
Posted by: EquineEnthusiast ()
Date: May 29, 2016 05:22PM

Serious question. Men don't like horses anymore and they think horses are for women. The horse industry now is almost exclusively run and controlled by women. This wasn't true, say 50 years ago. Men did most of the horse stuff English and Western. Boy and his horse. Now its just girls and horses. And you even get called a sissy if you ride a horse? I don't get it. Men don't seem to go near horses now and they detest them. Its the domain of women. Didnt used to be

Remember Wilbur and Mister Ed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why don't men like horses anymore?
Posted by: Vlad Putin likes horses ()
Date: May 29, 2016 05:23PM

Wants to be a little girl.

Posted by: CuY ()
Date: May 29, 2016 05:25PM

Now we have cars, so...

Posted by: Roughrider ()
Date: May 29, 2016 05:27PM

I wouldn't say men don't like horses. They just don't get all fuzzy about them like the women folk do. Men still work with horses , train horses, and enjoy being around horses. But to women horses are some kind of religion. With them horses take presidence over everything else. Men just see horses as beasts of burden. Some times fun to be around and to ride the range, whatever Also on the top equestrian levels, there are an equal number of men and women. Horse camp and baby stuff is mostly girls, yes.

Posted by: hell, we LOVE horse - delicious! ()
Date: May 29, 2016 06:12PM

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: May 29, 2016 06:37PM

Chris Reeve put the cap on that.

Posted by: DmvPC ()
Date: May 29, 2016 07:59PM

it takes skill. most people aren't physically active now and are too stiff to ride.

those able to do it prefer motorcycles - cheaper, faster, greater rush, etc.

also, horseback riding is expensive, especially closer to metro. if you have a "will work for horse" arrangement, mucking stalls isn't exactly a thrill.

to have your own horse, the costs escalate pretty quickly. pasture, water access, feed, shed/barn, vet, farrier, fencing, arena/round pen, tack, trailer, truck... someone to keep an eye out if you don't live on the property. then you have several horses, per specialized discipline. boarding is expensive also - and you'll still have some of the above costs in addition to the fee.

then, when things come up (and they do) and the horse isn't ridden consistently, your ass will be in the dirt.

and in the end, it's a pastime and a pet, for most people. notable exception - because it's expensive, in some cases, it's entry into a club and opportunity to rub shoulders with money.

Posted by: dungeon smash ()
Date: May 29, 2016 08:38PM

Roughrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't say men don't like horses. They just
> don't get all fuzzy about them like the women folk
> do. Men still work with horses , train horses, and
> enjoy being around horses. But to women horses are
> some kind of religion. With them horses take
> presidence over everything else. Men just see
> horses as beasts of burden. Some times fun to be
> around and to ride the range, whatever Also on the
> top equestrian levels, there are an equal number
> of men and women. Horse camp and baby stuff is
> mostly girls, yes.

i agree with this to an extent. horses are very useful draft animals and overall lovable companions. however i think in this part of the country you really don't see horses used for work, they're kept purely for show riding and
as pets. in parts of the country where horses are still used as work animals, you do see men who love their horses and take care of them, ride them daily etc. that culture just doesn't exist as much here, men are more likely to love their car. not any better or worse, just different

Posted by: Rodeo ()
Date: May 29, 2016 11:05PM

I'm male, 35, white, work a very "DC" job, and can ride a horse. My parents purchased an American quarter-horse and a small farm out in rural VA, where we had always lived, for my siblings and them to enjoy as a family together. You could very much call us "country folks". My sisters dabbled in barrel racing while I preferred a trail ride or an easy trot. Once we all finally left home, our mare rarely gets ridden anymore and is now just a family pet.

I had taken a few "DC-type" women home to meet my family and see the farm, only to feel they turned their nose up at it and thought it was poor, white-trash culture. I took my then-future wife (who was not born in the USA) back home for a visit and she was very much impressed and thought of me as a "real American cowboy", lol!

The truth is the Mongols, Romans, Native American warriors, American patriots, and cowboys all rode horses and they all have a storied lore in history. And face it, it's a very manly thing to do and nowadays even to just be able to do so is impressive. Horses are unwieldy three-quarter ton beasts and it takes time to overcome the intimidation of their size. Look at how well police on horseback control crowds for example.

Meanwhile, feminism marches on and the pussification of American men continues.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 29, 2016 11:33PM

I used to ride when I was younger. When I came back here I found there were a number of riding schools in the area, but there weren't any places where I could just go and ride. I understand the logic behind this-horses are expensive, horse riding injuries can be serious, most people can't ride, so there is a good probability of something costly going wrong. Still the idea of spending an hour riding around a ring with 4-5 other people just isn't my idea of fun.

Posted by: DogFood ()
Date: May 29, 2016 11:41PM

I found out my wife was fucking her horse so I turned him into dog food!

Posted by: Yj3jm ()
Date: May 30, 2016 06:44AM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> I used to ride when I was younger. When I came
> back here I found there were a number of riding
> schools in the area, but there weren't any places
> where I could just go and ride. I understand the
> logic behind this-horses are expensive, horse
> riding injuries can be serious, most people can't
> ride, so there is a good probability of something
> costly going wrong. Still the idea of spending an
> hour riding around a ring with 4-5 other people
> just isn't my idea of fun.

you have to go about an hour and a half west of DC for that.

http://www.thewagonwheelranch.com/
http://secretpassageranch.net/
http://www.fortvalleystable.com/

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: May 30, 2016 06:49AM

When I moved to Reston in the 60's, there was a stable on Reston Avenue. Lots of trails all through Hunter's Woods. I think the building is still there for a vet.

Posted by: Gunlover ()
Date: May 30, 2016 08:30AM

Ask Gerry, I guess a horse is smart enough not let to Gerry get behind it.

Posted by: Cocklover ()
Date: May 30, 2016 08:33AM

Gunlover Wrote:
> Ask Gerry, I guess a horse is smart enough not let
> to Gerry get behind it.

I, Eli, love horse cock.

Never Run Out Of Cock

People Don't Kill Gays. AIDS Does

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 30, 2016 11:49AM

Thanks for the info Yj3jm.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.