HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:19AM

Dan Rather wants Obama to help save the news
http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/135834

Quote

...
Tears welled in the lifelong reporter’s eyes as he discussed the dwindling number of war correspondents.

“I feel particularly strong about coverage of the wars,” he said, noting that covering the war in Afghanistan is his top priority on his HDNet program. “No apologies, both as a journalist and as a citizen I just can’t stand to leave those guys out there, fighting, dying, bleeding, getting torn up and say, ‘Look, it’s page 14 news.’ Or ‘Sorry, not on tonight’s newscast.’ It’s an example of the problem, that and not having the watchdogs.”

The free press, as established by the First Amendment to the Constitution, ought to operate as a public trust, not solely as a money-making endeavor, Rather argued, and it’s time the government make an effort to ensure the survival of the free press. If not the government, he suggested, then an organization like the Carnegie Foundation should take it on. Without action, he predicted, America will lose its independent media.

“If we do nothing more than stand back and hope that innovation alone will solve this crisis,” he said, “then our best-trained journalists will lose their jobs.”
...

The Free Press disappeared a long time ago - even before FOX News showed up. GE has owned NBC for quite a while, and all these other outlets have been tied to large corporations for quite a while. CNN was the first large example in the cable arena. He is a bit late to be looking for something that no longer exists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:27AM

Maybe he should talk to Hugo Chavez, champion of the Venezuelan "free press" lol


Chavez hits at Venezuelan media with new laws
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.cb8a50015fa68a79db22779216fa7aa6.a31&show_article=1

Quote

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is taking steps to tighten restrictions on the media despite mounting opposition by private media to a series of proposed reforms that would expose them to criminal prosecution.

Chavez supporters argue that the measures limiting broadcasting rights for radio and television will lead to a significant "democratization" of the media, which has been controlled by a handful of owners.

"We will launch a strong fight for the democratization of communication, to break the media oligarchy in Venezuela," Communication and Information Minister Blanca Eekhout said recently.

In a recent report, National Telecommunications Commission (Conatel) chief Diosdado Cabello said 27 families have "privileged ownership" of 32 percent of the radio broadcast industry.

But for Chavez's opposition, this "now or never" approach to the media is just the latest onslaught on press freedoms by the firebrand leftist leader, who has never forgiven the privately owned media for backing a failed coup against him in 2002.

"The only player that exposes many of the things the government is doing is the media, and the government feels it has to regulate them," professor Marcelino Bisbal, editor of the book "Communication Hegemony and Control," told AFP.

He said the government is developing eight new laws or reforms of existing laws that will have an impact on the media, including one that creates a new set of "media crimes" punishable with prison sentences.
...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Adrian Adrian ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:35AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:19AM

]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 08:27PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:08AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan Rather wants Obama to help save the news
> http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/135834
>
>
> ...
> Tears welled in the lifelong reporter’s eyes as he
> discussed the dwindling number of war
> correspondents.
>
> “I feel particularly strong about coverage of the
> wars,” he said, noting that covering the war in
> Afghanistan is his top priority on his HDNet
> program. “No apologies, both as a journalist and
> as a citizen I just can’t stand to leave those
> guys out there, fighting, dying, bleeding, getting
> torn up and say, ‘Look, it’s page 14 news.’ Or
> ‘Sorry, not on tonight’s newscast.’ It’s an
> example of the problem, that and not having the
> watchdogs.”
>
> The free press, as established by the First
> Amendment to the Constitution, ought to operate as
> a public trust, not solely as a money-making
> endeavor, Rather argued, and it’s time the
> government make an effort to ensure the survival
> of the free press. If not the government, he
> suggested, then an organization like the Carnegie
> Foundation should take it on. Without action, he
> predicted, America will lose its independent
> media.
>
> “If we do nothing more than stand back and hope
> that innovation alone will solve this crisis,” he
> said, “then our best-trained journalists will lose
> their jobs.”
> ...
>
>
> The Free Press disappeared a long time ago - even
> before FOX News showed up. GE has owned NBC for
> quite a while, and all these other outlets have
> been tied to large corporations for quite a while.
> CNN was the first large example in the cable
> arena. He is a bit late to be looking for
> something that no longer exists.


I'm not sure that we ever, in our history, had a "free press".

A "free press" is an illusion or facade. It has always been an instrument of power. That is why it is called the fourth estate. If it were the "fourth branch" that might imply an additional check or balance, but it has always been called "the fourth estate", defining it as the fourth establishment of power.

Dan Rather is attempting to argue that the government should take over or fund journalism.

That would probably be the tri-fecta of absolute power -- government control over consumption (carbon credits), information (government controlled media), and whether we live or die (health care). They already control so many other things that affect our daily lives. Those last three would lock it up and irreversibly change the very nature of our lives.

But, then again, it isn't like we don't already have that. They just want to make it official and irreversible.

Both parties would be more than happy to orchestrate an absolute power scenario in this country, because they would then enjoy the pleasure of being elected into office, with absolute power.

All the little people would bicker about left and right, guns and abortion and gay marriage, and whatever else. But as long as all of the little voters obeyed their party loyalties, the party members would enjoy absolute power.

We're already there, in fact. The moderates are all looking around going "what the fuck?" while the extremists on the left and right keep proclaiming victory, or if they lose, utter conspiracy.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 03:30AM by Thurston Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:19AM

/



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 08:14PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: hop ()
Date: July 30, 2009 07:33AM

wake up dan - it's called a consolidating market

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: July 30, 2009 08:07AM

Couple of comments...

Regarding the hit on Chavez...I doubt the Venezuelan press was ever even close to being "free". Central/South America does not have a very good or long track record of "free" anything. So...a cheap shot on Chavez is meaningless.

The most interesting part of rather's comment is the statement that the government should some how ensure the survival of a free press. That seems to be a bit of an oximoron...though I can see two areas the government could do a better job managing. One being the large media corporation consolidation of the news industry. Specifically it used to be illegal for one company to own both a newspaper and TV station in the same city/area. This was a very good way to ensure a diversity of ideas. Secondly, the fairness doctrine. There was a time when news departments were required to educate vice brainwash their listeners by reporting both sides of an issue. This was an excellent way of ensuring balance. I think part of the problem with people today is that they only listen to one side of an issue...and have lost their ability to to see both sides of an issue...in other words they have lost their empathy.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 10:15AM

Vince - your comment on empathy makes you sound like the poster child for the Obama talking points. Remember "Compassionate Conservatives"? Please.

The empathy that has been lost? Most of the media has lost their "objectivity", thus you end up with biased news coverage. I will agree that when the rules changed on the ownership rules, that only exacerbated the problem.

The argument on the "fairness doctrine" is a load of crap. MSM still has, overall, the largest viewership of all media types since they still have the cheapest method of access - Free - over the local airwaves. You have 4 major players in that market, and CBS, ABC, and NBC long since established almost monopolistic control over ALL the local markets through various affiliates and owners. Fox came to that arena much later. Talk radio is normally on during the day - not everyone at work is allowed to have radios on or access to any media during the core workday hours when these shows are on. Yet somehow the folks like Limbaugh, Hannity and similar programs have the LARGEST listener base OTHER than NPR. NPR was presenting their one-sided news and analysis long before these other outlets came into being. The folks at Air America lamented their inability to attract listeners - I would say their problem stems from trying to compete with NPR. I think if you take a look at one of those Red State/Blue State maps you will get a good idea where Air America can sustain themselves, otherwise people don't listen. Someone pointed out in another thread a good point, and IMHO I think it is on target - that Fox only looks so "biased" in comparison to the other outlets because for so long, they (the other outlets) DID only present one side of a story. Certainly, Fox has a lot of conservative voices - but have you noticed lately that they have a lot more moderate liberal voices lately? They have a lot of liberals who have signed on to be regulars there. I don't see the same moderation on the other side.

In either case, corporations have LONG controlled the media here. Empathy starts at home, not on the TV.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 10:17AM by Registered Voter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:35PM

My comment about empathy was targeted at homes/people....

I know quite a few people who all they listen to is FOX TV and radio...their propaganda machine encourages violence and needs to toned way down. If MSM showed only one side of the story (I personally dont agree with that)...but even if true..they never encited violence. FOx's use of "liberals"..really MSM...personalities is usually 1 on 3 and they are usually shouted down and beliitled. I am amazed they find the money worth the abuse.

You didnt directly say the NPR has the same startegy as the folks at Air America but,...while NPR may have a liberal bias they encourage civil discussion. Air America was an attempt to encite liberals as FOX encites conservatives...Personally I think liberals are too smart for a steady diet of that kind of crap...though a little can be entertaining.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 03:30PM by Vince(1).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: conVince ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:47PM

So liberals were too smart to listen to liberal media and what liberals had to say? Amazing circular logic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:25PM

I R on yer intetnetz Bloggen yer newz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:27PM

Wutz da freakwnesees DAN!?!?! Wutz Da FREAKWENSEEEEZ!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:32PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My comment about empathy was targeted at
> homes/people....
>
> I know quite a few people who all they listen to
> is FOX TV and radio...their propaganda machine
> encourages violence and needs to toned way down.
> If MSM showed only one side of the story (I
> personally dont agree with that)...but even if
> true..they never encited violence. FOx's use of
> "liberals"..really MSM...personalities is usually
> 1 on 3 and they are usually shouted down and
> beliitled. I am amazed they find the money worth
> th abuse.
>
> You didnt directly say the NPR has the same
> startegy as the folks at Air America. WHile NPR
> may have a liberal bias they encourage civil
> discussion. Air America was an attempt to encite
> liberals as FOX encites conservatives...Personally
> I think liberals are too smart for a steady diet
> of that kind of crap...though a little cab ne
> entertaining.


That's stupid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: CarWack ()
Date: July 30, 2009 02:17PM

Registered voter is a Republican, need we say more about his intelligence level.

Open your eyes RV.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:32PM

conVince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So liberals were too smart to listen to liberal
> media and what liberals had to say? Amazing
> circular logic.


Air AMerica was liberal propagandists...just as FOX is conservative propaganda. While Air AMerica was designed to be "funny"..there is nothing funny about FOX.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 05:33PM

CarWack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Registered voter is a Republican, need we say
> more about his intelligence level.
>
> Open your eyes RV.

I vote Republican - yes, that is pretty obvious. I am pretty sure i have made it clear that I am much more a libertarian - I believe in SMALL Federal Government period. Both parties seem intent lately to GROW government, although the Democrats truly lived up to the tax and spend reputation this time around. They may have complained about the Republicans in the last few years under Bush, but seriously, they will probably never live this down. It will be hard for them to ever get away from that tag in the future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 05:35PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> conVince Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So liberals were too smart to listen to liberal
> > media and what liberals had to say? Amazing
> > circular logic.
>
>
> Air AMerica was liberal propagandists...just as
> FOX is conservative propaganda. While Air AMerica
> was designed to be "funny"..there is nothing funny
> about FOX.

Yeah, whatever Vince.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: July 30, 2009 06:02PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CarWack Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Registered voter is a Republican, need we say
> > more about his intelligence level.
> >
> > Open your eyes RV.
>
> I vote Republican - yes, that is pretty obvious. I
> am pretty sure i have made it clear that I am much
> more a libertarian - I believe in SMALL Federal
> Government period. Both parties seem intent lately
> to GROW government, although the Democrats truly
> lived up to the tax and spend reputation this time
> around. They may have complained about the
> Republicans in the last few years under Bush, but
> seriously, they will probably never live this
> down. It will be hard for them to ever get away
> from that tag in the future.

The stimulus money was needed to stop us from going into a very deep recession. You Libertarians may think it better to allow the country's financial system to freeze up and all the subsequent impacted businesses allowed to fail...but thank god we have saner people in charge.

Unlike the Iraqui War and the Bush expansion of Medicare...Healthcare Reform will be deficit neutral. Democrats arent idealogues when it comes to any revenue cuts or expansions that are needed to pay for it.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 09:20PM

Vince, seriously, you should stop while you're ahead lol. You say absolutely the MOST stupid things I have ever heard.

...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 09:22PM by Registered Voter.
Attachments:
gramma.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: July 30, 2009 09:37PM

Allegedly the stimulus stopped another great depression not by creating jobs but by saving 3.5 million jobs! How, they figured that out, I haven't the slightest clue. It's a bit of farce that most of the mainstream media just went along with that assertion.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 09:46PM by FurfaxTownie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 09:53PM

Venezuela: 'Freedom of expression must be limited'
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99P3IKO0&show_article=1

Yes indeed... the point of including this is to show the alternative if we keep on going down this road. Other than for porn (which I am sure many of us here watch and enjoy *cough*) and an occasional wardrobe malfunction or over-the-top cursing on free airwaves, the FCC under Bush rarely restricted WHAT broadcasters could say or do.

EDIT: Sure, they leveled fines for over the top stuff, but I am pretty sure there was quite an expansion of cable channels and internet sites offering smut during that time.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 10:04PM by Registered Voter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: July 31, 2009 09:10AM

What's with you and Venezuela? Are you trying to keep the war drums beating for some future republikan administration? You call yourself a libertarian..but your interest in highlighting the faults of legally elected governments in other countries...especially those who arent licking our boots at the moment..tend to say you are a typical interventionist republikan...eager to send other people's children into war.

So..which is it? Republican or Libertarian?

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 31, 2009 09:52AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's with you and Venezuela? Are you trying to
> keep the war drums beating for some future
> republikan administration? You call yourself a
> libertarian..but your interest in highlighting the
> faults of legally elected governments in other
> countries...especially those who arent licking our
> boots at the moment..tend to say you are a typical
> interventionist republikan...eager to send other
> people's children into war.
>
> So..which is it? Republican or Libertarian?

What is it with you Vince - I bring them up because people like YOU hold them in such high esteem for all the values they aspire to. Your jump in to defend them like they are some example of a "good" government in the world. They are a great example of where we could go if we fall into the trap of thinking that our government would never move to the point where they would just take over our industries and press to the point where we would have little or no opposition to the rules they imposed on us. In other words we would no longer be free.

Chavez may have won his initial election "legally" but since that time he has become a total whack job, and has worked behind the scenes to turn his country's government into a totalitarian, President for life (why he doesn't just call himself Dictator and get over it is beyond me), regime. I don't want to hear all the BS as to what the US has done to him (he is such a victim) that I know you are just chomping at the bit to throw out there - it has nothing to do with this thread, you can start your own "factual" conversation.

Venezuela is a very good example of how to NOT treat with the press - so it serves as a good example of where the extreme can go.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 09:53AM by Registered Voter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Rather is a little late...
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: August 02, 2009 12:08AM

Venezuela begins shutdown of 34 radio stations
http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN0146551720090801

So - who here thinks that shutting down 34 stations would, in some way, be called "democratizing" the air waves? What I don't get is how folks here in the US can possibly agree with someone who promotes these policies.

Quote

...
Critics said the crackdown infringed on freedom of speech and that owners were not given the right to a proper defense.

"They're closing the space for dissidents in Venezuela," William Echeverria, head of the National Council of Journalists, told RCTV, a private cable TV station, which did not have its broadcasting license renewed in 2007.

Chavez defended the closures, calling them part of the government's effort to democratize the airwaves.

"We haven't closed any radio stations, we've applied the law," Chavez said on state television. "We've recovered a bunch of stations that were outside the law, that now belong to the people and not the bourgeoisie."

Chavez supporters say they are waging a "media war" against private news companies and have denounced in recent days what they say is a renewed offensive by privately owned domestic and international media to discredit Venezuela.
...

How can you have a free press if you have no private ownership? And they didn't have their licenses renewed because the government chose to not renew them - Chavez makes it sound like they simply didn't follow the laws. What a crock.

Quote

...
One of the stations to cease operations was Radio Bonita 1520 AM in the city of Guatire, 25 miles (40 km) from Caracas.

"Fifteen years after my father died, they tell me (broadcasting) licenses can't be inherited, we're shocked," Felix Ali Obelmejia, director of Radio Bonita, told Globovision.

Another 120 radio stations were being investigated for administrative irregularities and the radio frequency of stations being shut down would be transferred to new community broadcasters, Cabello had said.

Venezuela's attorney general presented this week draft legislation that would establish prison sentences for anyone who provides false information that harms the interests of the state. Rights groups harshly criticized the proposal.

As part of his drive to remake Venezuela as a socialist country, Chavez has vastly expanded the number of publicly owned television and radio stations since he took office in 1999. Some are directly owned or financed by the government, while others are operated by cooperatives and community groups.
...

And the cooperatives and community groups also receive money from the government.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 12:10AM by Registered Voter.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********  ********  ********  **    **  **     ** 
 **    **     **     **    **  **   **   **     ** 
     **       **         **    **  **    **     ** 
    **        **        **     *****     ********* 
   **         **       **      **  **    **     ** 
   **         **       **      **   **   **     ** 
   **         **       **      **    **  **     ** 
This forum powered by Phorum.