HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Web hoster available
Posted by: He's clean ()
Date: April 18, 2016 02:37PM

he next time you accidentally close a file without saving, just keep in mind that it could be worse. You could be Marco Marsala, a hosting provider who accidentally and irrevocably deleted his entire business with a faulty line of code.

As Marsala wrote on Server Fault, a forum where he was asking for help with the bind he'd gotten himself into, "I run a small hosting provider with more or less 1535 customers ...All servers got deleted and the offsite backups too."

A dire situation for certain, but one that Marsala was apparently hopeful he could rectify. "How I can recover from a rm -rf / now in a timely manner?" his plea for assistance ends.

That "rm -rf/" is the troublesome line that got Marsala into trouble. It is, essentially, a command that will forcibly delete data without asking for confirmation. As The Independent explains:

The "rm" tells the computer to remove; the r deletes everything within a given directory; and the f stands for "force", telling the computer to ignore the usual warnings that come when deleting files.

... [Because] of an error in the way it was written, the code didn't actually specify anywhere – and so removed everything on the computer.
Why was Marsala running this command at all? It was actually part of his backup procedure, presumably intended to delete old backups. But due to the lack of specificity, it just deleted everything it could get its hands on—including customer websites. Because Marsala didn't have a backup somewhere that was completely isolated from what this particular command could touch, it all went away. It's probably gone forever, according to the experts on Server Fault.

The lessons to be learned here? A few: Always double check instructions to delete anything. Make sure you back up your important data offline. And last but not least, a computer will always do exactly what you tell it to do. If it doesn't do what you wanted, you are the one who messed up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web hoster available
Posted by: pJKhx ()
Date: April 18, 2016 11:51PM

yes and the hardware store had a fire the owners profited from - which was a good thing because they were missing stock and business was poor

SHUT UP

Posted by: vje3h ()
Date: April 18, 2016 11:53PM

rm -rf $HOME/foo

if $HOME is undefined do to (i wont say) ... done

everyone who's gotten past file copying 101 knows to keep a backup

total troll post

Posted by: kKNJx ()
Date: April 18, 2016 11:55PM

is obviously going to face prison time for taking peoples money and doing NOTHING as service

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: April 18, 2016 11:58PM

vje3h Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rm -rf $HOME/foo
>
> if $HOME is undefined do to (i wont say) ... done
>
> everyone who's gotten past file copying 101 knows
> to keep a backup
>
> total troll post

You'e a retard but you've probably already been told that. According to the story your retard brother had his backup devices mounted when his script issued its comment. So he kept a backup but he erased it. Was that stupid? Yes. Stupider than your whore of a mother not aborting you or just killing herself to avoid the decision? No.

Posted by: HWWem ()
Date: April 19, 2016 08:09AM

It was no doubt a troll.

Anyone running a business with +1000 customers has at least two backups (sets of media). The one connected to the system to do the backup. The second that is the previous backup disconnected from the system. This would be the minimum I would feel safe with. Even with RAID6, I would have two media systems -- the system itself can fail.

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: December 23, 2019 10:01AM

Hey there, great topic you created, thanks! I am working with VPS system that gives the chance to play powerful video games from a slow computer remotely playing on a powerful computer. However, initially I used a VPS system for a lot of money and the result did not justify itself. Later I learned that there is a system that costs less than $ 80 per month which allows you to play on a 10 core computer with 16 GB of RAM. By the way , right now I use the system that is called GSA Search Engine ranker VPS and it's really works for me a cople of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2019 10:08AM by Liquidat1on.

Posted by: falo ven ()
Date: November 28, 2021 01:51AM

The amount of information in our world is increasing every day in unimaginable volumes. This has led to the fact that many information systems and equipment can hardly cope with the processing of incoming data. Dedicated server hosting Netherlands helped me solve the problem of high computing performance.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.