HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WJFK "THE FAN"
Posted by: Steal This Post ()
Date: July 17, 2009 02:33PM

From the washingtonpost.com

The Junkies will remain in morning drive time, re- rebranding themselves as "The Sports Junkies" (their original name). The 10-2 pm shift will be handled by The Post's own Mike Wise, with co-host Bill Rohland. Ex-Skin (and radio newbie) LaVar Arrington will be in the 2-to-6 shift, with holdover Chad Dukes co-hosting. 6-7 pm has not yet been announced but my spies tell me CBS is trying to hire John Riggins, late of Snyder's own station, for some extra Redskins cred. Nights will mostly be live sports--Wizards games, Terps and (if they can get the rights) Capitals. Plus--take that, Dan Snyder!--WJFK will have CBS's package of NFL games on Monday and Thursday nights, Sunday afternoons and Sunday nights, plus the playoffs and Super Bowl.

What's missing: Mike O'Meara and crew. His show was a) expensive and b) didn't fit the new format, so he's getting the heave-ho. This is a sad end for O'Meara, Robb, Buzz, etc. They were part of a great radio tradition, and a great show, "Don & Mike." Unclear what will become of Mike, et al, for now.

With a line-up like THAT how could it FAIL?!?!? ugh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WJFK "THE FAN"
Date: July 17, 2009 04:30PM

The Fan is going to suck and it is going to suck in the ratings. But the point is the talent will cost less and sports formats result in a natural tie-in for cross-promotion, so a sports station can generate higher revenues than would normally be justified by its shitty ratings.

Posted by: Huntinngton ()
Date: July 17, 2009 06:21PM

Tone Loc, are you DCR Dave?

Date: July 17, 2009 06:22PM

Huntinngton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tone Loc, are you DCR Dave?

No

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: July 17, 2009 07:47PM

I think all new shows on this station will get harrassed by rabid, disillusioned WJFK fans who just run bits like asking the host "who's gonna win, El Jefe or J Dubs?".

Date: July 17, 2009 08:18PM

I anticipate it is going to be a half-assed mix between the old WJFK and a sports station...which will please no one, including the talent.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:38PM

La Var Arrington?

Can't ya just smell the fail?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:55PM

Numbers Wrote:
> La Var Arrington?
>
> Can't ya just smell the fail?

I smell it. He can't possibly be worse than Brian Mitchell. That guy is awful.

Posted by: Steal This Post ()
Date: July 17, 2009 10:17PM

Big O must be pissed that his buddy is staying on and he is out of a job.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:00AM

I just think it's a shame that DC radio has gone the way of shit. Talk radio, not sports, was such a great way to pass the day, b/c DC music radio has always sucked. I am from Cleveland (laugh and post insults, deservedly) but the rock stations there have always been way better. Why does the public prefer the generic offering of shikters like Jack Diamond and Carson, etc.?

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:10AM

Sorry for the spelling errors, damn drinks!

Date: July 20, 2009 09:09AM

I listened a bit to the "Sports" Junkies this morning. The problem I have had with the Junkies is the fact that they are all complete fucking morons. They had a golf analyst on who said he had just undergone septuple bypass surgery. One of the Junkies said, "Wow! Six bypasses!"

Fucking idiots. Fucking, fucking idiots.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 20, 2009 10:33AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:

> Fucking idiots. Fucking, fucking idiots.

Wrong, Ricky! They're "donkeys"... So butt-trifling and hurting...

Date: July 20, 2009 10:35AM

Warhawk Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Fucking idiots. Fucking, fucking idiots.
>
>
> Wrong, Ricky! They're "donkeys"... So
> butt-trifling and hurting...

When you were a kid and your dad was 40-ish, WTF would you have done if he was going around saying shit like that?

Posted by: cb ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:48PM

Just listened to a little of the Mike Wise Show .... hhuuuurting! WJFk will be down to the nubs in no time.

Posted by: Me and young boy in the water ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:49PM

Listened to bill wise today. Observations:
between bits:
commercial for a contest back in may at v 5
texting 95351 instead of wjfk1 (I'd pay to see the texts receive today)
commercial for play & trade, "proud sponsor of rrod radio" which is gone

Gibbs interview:
Only 3 questions on Redskins. Really? I know he's pushing a book but DC fans don't care about his thoughts on religion, NASCAR, or values. WTF, a 4 hour show and your 4th hour is a replay of the Gibbs interview from two hours ago! Way to punt it on the 1st day.

Roland:
was he even in studio for the Gibbs interview? Seems he's only allowed to speak up to defend himself after Mike Wise shits on him. I did enjoy him speaking up about the mainstreetmafia videos, though Chad had to inform him that management will not allow discussion of the MSM. Seems like the girl "Liz" gets more than airtime than Rowland.

Callers:
mike says that "the fan" means they're all about the callers. They take a total of 4 calls in a 4 hour show (most about mike vick). Was amusing at the end of the 4th call a guy snuck in a "drab is gay".

Date: July 20, 2009 10:50PM

I listened to Mike Wise today and it was terrible. Neither of the host's have ANY personality and the Gibbs interview was nothing but sucking Gibb's ass.
They let Pastor Gibbs go on and on about how religion is the cure for all ills and pussed out on asking any tough or interesting questions about his tenure with the Skins.

This show made Mike O'Meara's look like a genious, and that's pretty bad.

Posted by: Abe Frohman ()
Date: July 20, 2009 11:09PM

I agree. The Mike Wise show is atrocious. CBS made a big mistake with this format change. I can't imagine this format will be successful on WJFK.

Posted by: Judge Crater ()
Date: July 21, 2009 08:05AM

id just like to ask who converts to a sports talk station in July, the slowest month for sports all year.

Posted by: Me And Young Boy In The Water ()
Date: July 21, 2009 12:17PM

Lavar & Chad show:
it's not big o & dukes (obvious)
chad's personality still comes through.
Chad controls the structure of the show well without making it obvious
chemistry needs to develop and hopefully it will
needs more drab, hilarious when Lavar was immitating drab's laugh. Mike wise has "Liz" and "CJ" on almost more than Rowland. Couldn't hurt to have more drab, he's a huge sports guy!
Lavar's comments near show end about why people are upset with Vick might fire things up a bit

Didn't have a chance to listen to wise today.

Posted by: Jerk'N'Burke ()
Date: July 21, 2009 12:40PM

Stupid move on WJFKs' part. I could handle 1 sports show, that's about it.

Yesterday I removed WJFK from pre-set #5 on my radio.

Date: July 21, 2009 01:09PM

Judge Crater Wrote:
> id just like to ask who converts to a sports talk
> station in July, the slowest month for sports all
> year.

And then doesn't cover baseball or NASCAR, the two major sports that are on (besides the PGA).

Date: July 21, 2009 05:34PM

This station now sounds like every other sports radio station in the country. Have you heard the jingles? Everything about this station is cliche'. They need to do some serious work and get an identity before football season starts, because right now, this is not worthy of FM and should be on some obscure AM station like all the rest of the generic sports radio.

Posted by: Melissa ()
Date: July 21, 2009 07:39PM

*snore*

I'll be shocked if this format is a success.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being vague is almost as fun as that other thing.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: July 22, 2009 12:34AM

well who cares anyways, regular radio is dead anyway. I think only news stations (WTOP, NPR) and XM/Sirius will be around in the next few years to come.

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: August 02, 2009 07:24AM

I was thinking about this on my way to work the other morning while listening to the Junkies. The one thing those guys do very well, is field phone calls and after 10 years they should be good at it. The station should just break them, and spreak them around with the rest of the new hosts or make each one a co-host with a different show. Have EB and Dukes on for the AM drive, JP and Mike wise for the nooner, Lavar and Lurch afternoon, and Cakes and Chris Russell on the evening shift.

EB and Dukes always seemed to have good energy and chemistry when on together and like to schtick it up. Mike Wise and JP can be boring together while no one listens in the afternoon. Lurch will actually call Lavar out on his BS and care about pissing him off or feel threatened by him. Putting cakes on with Chris is just throwing him a bone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 01:33PM by FurfaxTownie.

Date: August 02, 2009 08:28AM

The Junkies remind me of the show Entourage. Lurch is the star and the other three just hang around, contributing very little.

Posted by: Donna ()
Date: August 13, 2009 01:06PM

The NEW WJFK REALLY sucks! How much sports do you think people want??? The afternoon show that has replaced Mike O'Meara is so lame it should be pulled off the field. Poor Chad Dukes you can hear in his voice how tired of it he is already . . .

What moron is running that place and making these bizare decisions???

Date: August 13, 2009 01:13PM

If I knew you could talk like that on here I would have !

The Junkies all speak about women as if they were inferior and lord it over us (the listeners) about how great their lives and money situation are (even to the point of saying the King of the Original Steak House that took off with the banks money was entitled to it if the banks were that dumb - I rarely listen anymore - I have had enough of all the WJFK staff!

Although I would like to be around to hear and see them fall because they most assuredly will. . .they bite big time . . .and you are right they are super donkeys !

Date: August 13, 2009 01:16PM

Amen!

Date: October 07, 2009 07:53PM

Ever since the format flip i have not been able to figure out why the show schedule is that way it is Lavar and Dukes 2-6, Holden Kushner "Overtime" 6-10. Seemed very strange and unconventional. The only reason for doing this that I have come up with so far is that when the ratings come in The Fan management can figure out more easily which shows are the most competitive.

As it is now, I think the Sports Reporters is the gold standard for sports news radio in the DC area. By stagering the Fan's drive home programing during The Sports Reporters time slot, the Fan's management will have a better of idea of how many people might be switching over at 6pm. They must have known going in that the Lavar show might have some serious problems, such as Lavar not having and talent, and poor Dukes not being able to be Dukes.

From my observation, Holden Kushner's "Overtime" is the only sports talk radio show listening to on 1067 followed by the weekend noon show the "The New School". Everything else is stale crap.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Holden K got the drive home slot after a few more ratings books.

Posted by: uhhh?? ()
Date: October 07, 2009 08:04PM

what radio station have you been listening to?

The static of Triple X ESPN radio?
It amazes me how.. Three radio stations and all are full of static.. I live in Falls church. if you cannot broadcast a strong signal there. GTFO

Lavar's show is actually bringing on some pretty guests

GO back to your bandwagon

Date: October 07, 2009 08:07PM

uhhh?? Wrote:
> what radio station have you been listening to?
>
> The static of Triple X ESPN radio?
> It amazes me how.. Three radio stations and all
> are full of static.. I live in Falls church. if
> you cannot broadcast a strong signal there. GTFO
>
> Lavar's show is actually bringing on some pretty
> guests
>
> GO back to your bandwagon

I agree! Triple X has a range of about 200 feet.

Date: October 07, 2009 08:12PM

I've never had a problem with the static commuting in and out of the city. Maybe your driving a Kia???

Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: October 07, 2009 09:41PM

I R not a fan of Hoo-raa talk.

Date: October 07, 2009 09:55PM

I listen to Triple X all of the time. Falls Church is in the deadzone between the 92.7 signal and 94.3 signal. As I drive down I-66, I typically have to switch around Falls Church.

As for content, in recent days I have heard the Sports Reporters talk about the Redskins, Brett Favre, The President's Cup, Gary Williams, Maryland Football, the Caps, the Wizards and a variety of other sports-relate topics.

WJFK the Fan, on the other hand? Redskins bashing 24/7. I am sick of Dan Snyder, too. But when it is non-stop, especially on the LaVar/Duke show, it becomes fucking ponderous. And God forbid the Junkies discuss something besides sports betting or college hoops. They immediately go into the fucking ditch when they try to discuss politics or pop culture or anything not related to the Skins, sports betting or college hoops.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: October 08, 2009 12:25AM

I switch immediately upon hearing anything regarding MMA or UFC which Chad gets a boner over (for some reason).

Date: October 08, 2009 09:28AM

Numbers Wrote:
> I switch immediately upon hearing anything
> regarding MMA or UFC which Chad gets a boner over
> (for some reason).

Yeah. I don't care about that shit, either. It makes a lot of money on pay-per-view, but its total audience size doesn't justify the amount of coverage it gets. I imagine MLS has more followers and you never hear about that (not that I want to).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.