HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Please don’t flame me… but I’m looking for an honest reason why people support Obama
Posted by: Independent ()
Date: June 23, 2009 03:03PM

I’m looking for concrete ideological reasons. I know there are plenty of other reasons such as charisma, charm, likeability, etc… but I’m trying to figure out what the real difference is between your average democrat and republican supporter. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please don’t flame me… but I’m looking for an honest reason why people support Obama
Date: June 23, 2009 03:08PM

Independent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m looking for concrete ideological reasons. I
> know there are plenty of other reasons such as
> charisma, charm, likeability, etc… but I’m trying
> to figure out what the real difference is between
> your average democrat and republican supporter.
> Thanks!

Government may not "be the answer," but it may have some of the answers.

Private industry simply won't assume some of the risk necessary to advance the country. Private industry would never have built the Interstate Highway System, put man on the moon, created the Internet or produced a viable airline industry if the government hadn't led the way with initial investment.

That's not meant as a slam on the market economy. It is an acknowledgment of how the market economy actually works.

Democrats understand that. Republicans (at least today's Republicans) don't.

Re: Please don’t flame me… but I’m looking for an honest reason why people support Obama
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 23, 2009 03:20PM

Independent Wrote:
> I’m looking for concrete ideological reasons. I
> know there are plenty of other reasons such as
> charisma, charm, likeability, etc… but I’m trying
> to figure out what the real difference is between
> your average democrat and republican supporter.
> Thanks!

for most people it will boil down to one thing... obama isnt a republican.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 23, 2009 03:21PM

Thanks for the response.

I was watching Bill Maher last weekend and he had some pretty harsh words for Obama and the Democrats in general and it got me thinking about what the real differences were between the two parties (if you saw the show you probably know what I'm talking about). Maher basically said there were no real liberals anymore and that the Democrats have morphed to become the party of "slightly right of center" and that the Republicans had moved to the "lunatic extreme right" (or something like that). So besides abortion and religious fanaticism I don't see any difference between the two parties either.

Posted by: Lefty ()
Date: June 23, 2009 03:33PM

Because he is smart as hell. He was elected editor of the Harvard Law review by fellow students at Harvard.

Date: June 23, 2009 03:38PM

Lefty Wrote:
> Because he is smart as hell. He was elected
> editor of the Harvard Law review by fellow
> students at Harvard.

academics do not always make the best leader. there are a lot of shitty managers who are huge academics in europe that are really stupid.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: LeRoy ()
Date: June 23, 2009 03:41PM

He be black.

Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: June 23, 2009 03:42PM

People are wrapped up in the whole historical significance of Obama being elected, plus he is a lot more charismatic and well-spoken than the average politician, especially after eight years of "Bushisms."

As far as the difference between a Republican and Democrat supporter, I don't think the everyday party member can answer this. People are just voting Democrat because of how fucked up the country became under eight years of Republican leadership.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." - Anton Lavey

Posted by: Lefty ()
Date: June 23, 2009 03:43PM

The diference between the Democratic party and the Republican party is:

Repblicans spend money on social progams for other counties and wars. Largest debts under Republicans. Republicans beleive the Christain religion and church leaders should make decisions on health care issues.

Republicans deregulate and allow companies free range to do whatever they want unchecked. That the free market place will make adjustments on its own.

Democratics spend money on social programs inside the US. Democrats beleive pure science should determine health care issues (stem cells reasearch). Democrats beleive big business should be regulated.

Date: June 23, 2009 03:54PM

Lefty Wrote:
> Largest debts under Republicans.

file.php?40,file=1943

someone please post that national debt comparisons chart.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:03PM

I like Obama simply because he is moving in the right direction in regards to energy.

Explain why the USA invented solar power, but are not the largest suppliers of solar power?

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:05PM

Adam Wrote:

> Explain why the USA invented solar power, but are
> not the largest suppliers of solar power?

I thought the sun supplied solar power. Jusss sayin.....

Posted by: You ask ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:15PM

and you shall receive.

http://i27.tinypic.com/120m447.jpg

Date: June 23, 2009 04:25PM

You ask Wrote:
> and you shall receive.

i dont see obama on that chart. im pretty sure he just handed out 800 billion.

edit: interesting... i just looked and so far this year, 1.9 TRILLION dollars has been spent. are you related to vince?

file.php?40,file=2868file.php?40,file=6028

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 04:34PM by Gravis.

Posted by: My 2 cents ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:37PM

It is hard to put Obama in a chart like that because right now everything is an estimate of where his decisions will put the debt at. But I will say that if he can turn this economy around I personally dont give a shit how much he spends. At least he is putting (most of) the money to a good cause.

Date: June 23, 2009 04:43PM

Gravis Wrote:
> You ask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > and you shall receive.
>
>
> i dont see obama on that chart. im pretty sure he
> just handed out 800 billion.
>
> edit: interesting... i just looked and so far this
> year, 1.9 TRILLION dollars has been spent. are
> you related to vince?
>
>
>
>
>

The largest deficit on record belongs to Bush from last year at ~$450 Billion. Obama's deficit is projected to be ~$1.9 Trillion.

Date: June 23, 2009 04:44PM

My 2 cents Wrote:
> It is hard to put Obama in a chart like that
> because right now everything is an estimate of
> where his decisions will put the debt at.

orly?

> But I will say that if he can turn this economy
> around I personally dont give a shit how much he
> spends. At least he is putting (most of) the money
> to a good cause.

the economy is far more robust than people give it credit (see what i did there? :P ). also, it takes both sides to pass anything into law, so it's not like obama is solely responsible.

im not taking sides, im providing the other side of the argument.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 04:49PM by Gravis.
Attachments:
debt.gif

Date: June 23, 2009 04:45PM

Lefty Wrote:
> Because he is smart as hell. He was elected
> editor of the Harvard Law review by fellow
> students at Harvard.

Doesn't seem like a very ideological position

Posted by: hmmmm ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:46PM

Bush's budget for 2009 was at 3.1T. Obama's at 3.4T. BFD

Gravis Wrote:
> You ask Wrote:
> -----
>
>
>
> edit: interesting... i just looked and so far this
> year, 1.9 TRILLION dollars has been spent. are
> you related to vince?
>
>
>
>
>

Posted by: Tightey Rightey ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:49PM

Less like him now....
Attachments:
obama_index_june_23_2009.jpg

Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: June 23, 2009 04:50PM

Uh oh....the great Tightey Rightey and his magical graphs. aaaaargh!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." - Anton Lavey

Date: June 23, 2009 04:56PM

hmmmm Wrote:
> Bush's budget for 2009 was at 3.1T. Obama's at
> 3.4T. BFD

well if it's no big deal, perhaps we could just make it 3.401T and give give me the difference. oh wait... that's a billion dollars.

Posted by: Lester ()
Date: June 23, 2009 05:11PM

The breakdown of debt by President - Compare the Democratic debt to Republican debt, you'll see Republicans are spending mongers
Attachments:
debit.jpg

Date: June 23, 2009 05:17PM

where is obama on that chart? seriously, stop forwarding the vince agenda.

file.php?40,file=2868

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 23, 2009 05:21PM

I love how the chart is always cut off in the 1960s. Were there no presidents prior to the 60s?

Posted by: Where's Bush ()
Date: June 23, 2009 05:43PM

Hey Leste, why does that chart not have Bush for 8 years and the money he spent during that time. Is this chart taking into account the time he just didn't do shit but vacation and start wars, and if this is the case it should be more like 6 years. Gravis, may I ask why you are so set in your ways to put Obama down?

Posted by: Truth In $$$ ()
Date: June 23, 2009 06:48PM

Lester Wrote:
> The breakdown of debt by President - Compare the
> Democratic debt to Republican debt, you'll see
> Republicans are spending mongers
Lester,
Let me help you with the missing data.

Obama first 6 months $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: MaryJane ()
Date: June 23, 2009 07:10PM

Gravis Wrote:
> You ask Wrote:
> -----
>
>
>

He had to hand out 800 billion to save the US economy from the fucking train wreck Republicans created under Bush.

You should also note that the 800 billion is now being paid back by the banks. 67 billion has already been repaid.

Posted by: Boehner's Boner For Guys ()
Date: June 23, 2009 09:37PM

No shit. Republicans and train wrecks are synonymous. Probably caused the metro accident too. Bunch of fairies.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: June 24, 2009 12:24AM

Obama may be a cult of personality, he may be full of shit, but ill tell you why i voted for him. I didnt so much vote for a democrat, as i did to change the status quo. I was fucking sick of 8 years of bush policy, and McCaine didnt offer anything different, just more of the same nation building policy. Then add Palin to the mix.... my god, what an idiot. He's intelligent, charismatic, and most importantly, i believe he changed the perception the rest of the world had about america, definately for the better.

Posted by: Lib Lubber ()
Date: June 24, 2009 07:47AM

You poor liberals.....You can't seem to accept the fact that you voted in a loser and his policies are loser policies that are driving the country into the ground. You are still in denial. Sorry, but some of you are finally waking up to the fact that Obama is killing the economy. That's why the polls are dropping as fast as the jobs are.

I feel sorry for you liberals in denial. Maybe you can form a Liberals In Denial club. Maybe you can invite the unemployed to join the club.

Posted by: DickyC ()
Date: June 24, 2009 09:41AM

Lib Lubber Wrote:
> You poor liberals.....You can't seem to accept the
> fact that you voted in a loser and his policies
> are loser policies that are driving the country
> into the ground. You are still in denial. Sorry,
> but some of you are finally waking up to the fact
> that Obama is killing the economy. That's why the
> polls are dropping as fast as the jobs are.
>
> I feel sorry for you liberals in denial. Maybe you
> can form a Liberals In Denial club. Maybe you can
> invite the unemployed to join the club.

Cheney is that you? After the GOP basically told you to shut the hell up and go back to the hole you crawled out of recently, you end up here?

Date: June 24, 2009 10:11AM

Lib Lubber Wrote:
>

When the unemployment rate reached 10% under Reagan, Reagan's disapproval rating was 54%. Obama's is 34%.

Posted by: Liberomania ()
Date: June 24, 2009 05:03PM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:

> When the unemployment rate reached 10% under
> Reagan, Reagan's disapproval rating was 54%.
> Obama's is 34%.

As ABCNews notes:

Obama’s vulnerability on the economy remains — exemplified by Reagan, the last president to take office in the teeth of a recession. His approval fell from a peak of 73 percent in March 1981 to 48 percent as the economy still struggled 11 months later. And today, public ratings of current economic conditions are just a few points from their record low in 23 years of weekly tracking by ABC News.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:57PM

Lib Lubber Wrote:
>

That sucks, You have to put up with it for at least a couple more years. I get to enjoy it. :) :)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.