HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can someone please help me throw money at my dysfunctional wireless network, please?
Posted by: Fucking.CLUE-less ()
Date: September 11, 2015 01:23AM

I live in a 40 year old rise...yeah, yeah...

There's a lot of wireless noise in the building. I've got neighbors above, below and to the sides all with their own wireless networks. And then last week, my community *upgraded* to a new sub-metering electrical system wherein my fusebox and 3 HVAC units all have wireless sending units which transmit electrical usage data for billing purposes.

My Xfinity supplied wireless gateway is currently setup in my bedroom. Prior to the HVAC wireless network being installed, I used to get a wireless signal anywhere in my home to include the balcony which is the furthest point from my wireless gateway. I have tried moving the gateway around. I have had numerous visits from Xfinity "technicians" who have adjusted the frequency of the gateway as well as uploaded software and firmware updates when and where appropriate and they can't get my signal or coverage to improve.

What are my options here? Should I run an Ethernet line out to my living room from the gateway itself? If so, what hardware should I install on the other end of the that Ethernet cable? A wireless repeater/range extender? Another router? If I connect a 2nd router can both the 2nd router and the wireless gateway work together to form one large wireless network? DO I not need to run an Ethernet line and could a 2nd wireless router be connected wirelessly to my wireless gateway? Please help...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can someone please help me throw money at my dysfunctional wireless network, please?
Posted by: 4X9JH ()
Date: September 11, 2015 02:35AM

Get another better wireless router. One that gives you a bunch of channels, multiple simultaneous frequencies, and has enough power to cut through the noise. Something like an ASUS RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, or RT-AC68U depending on what you have as far as wireless devices and how much you want to spend. Any of those should very easily cover an apartment. You can turn up the power and blow out your neighbors too.

You can then turn off the wireless on the Xfinity and either (1) put your Xfinity into bridge mode and use the new one as your router (basically just passes traffic through the Xfinity), (2) and set up the new one as a wireless access point behind your Xfinity router, or (3) set the new one up as a second interior router behind the Xfinity. I don't know how the Xfinity system works but you'll have some way that you can hook it up. Just a matter of what the Xfinity can do/requires and how you want to set up the new one and what capabilities are affected. Some systems can't bridge or won't work in various ways, e.g., FIOS needs to have the Verizon router in place to do multi-room DVR functions and drive slave set-top boxes. Setting up as a second interior router will affect NAT port routing/triggering, etc., etc.

Re: Can someone please help me throw money at my dysfunctional wireless network, please?
Posted by: LYhX6 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 02:42AM

Should have said too that if the Xfinity router can accept a different antenna, you might try a higher gain directional antenna pointed from the bedroom to the rest of the house.

A repeater may work but they cut the speed a lot.

Posted by: kUELu ()
Date: September 11, 2015 05:48AM

Like the second poster said, upgrading your wireless router might help. Some of the newer standards like 802.11n can operate in the 5GHz range which might be less cluttered. Your end devices need to support that though. Some newer wireless routers also have spectrum hopping and will actively seek out quieter bands.

On the simple solution side, can you relocate your current box nearer to the ceiling -- elevation always helps radiation patterns. The techs tried moving it already, but did they try a different room?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/spectrum-expert-wi-fi/prod_white_paper0900aecd807395a9.html

Date: September 11, 2015 11:17AM

Holy shit! 8 years on this forum and this is the first time I've ever gotten genuine assistance. Thanks, pals.

Yes, when the techs came they tried several frequencies and also moved the wireless gateway all over my unit. They moved it around the master bedroom, guest bedroom, both bathrooms, the hallway, the kitchen, the dining room and the living room. There was not one location that would provide total coverage of my home.

Ok, I'm going to look into the most powerful wireless router I can afford. Hopefully, a single hi-watt wireless router properly located will give full coverage. If not, I will try linking them together. I'll post back next week if I have anything further.

Thank you again.

Posted by: Wire-Totin' Joe ()
Date: September 11, 2015 11:42AM

Also do you HAVE to have a wireless network?

Wired is always going to perform better. Not sure how powerline networking would work in your situation.

Something to think about.

Posted by: VPkpx ()
Date: September 11, 2015 12:07PM

Wire-Totin' Joe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also do you HAVE to have a wireless network?
>
> Wired is always going to perform better. Not sure
> how powerline networking would work in your
> situation.
>
> Something to think about.

True but it's 2015 and most people have tablets, laptops, phones, and other devices that they don't want to have to be dragging a cable behind even if it would work. Sucks for anything other than a desktop or peripherals that stay in place.

The OP's situation in a saturated apartment building is about a worst-case but still no reason that you can't have working wireless. Just need to escalate your capabilities in the fight for air superiority. Which then obviously makes things even worse for the other poor saps there but gotta do what you gotta do.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 11, 2015 12:40PM

If you have an Android phone, install WiFi Analyzer and it will show you the hotspots it finds on different frequency channels, along with their signal strength. See if there are some better channels to try. If you are on iPhone there's probably a similar app out there.

If none are totally unpopulated, try to find one where there are hotspots found but the strength of them are relatively low compared to those found on other channels.

This assumes the WiFi channel is user-configurable on the Xfinity router, I have no idea.

The technician in theory should have tried simple things like that but you never know. If you want to spend money on it check out the Asus RT-AC68R, one of the best wireless routers you can buy but it ain't a $25 router.

Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

Date: September 14, 2015 09:49PM

Thank you all again for the additional information...

I've tracked down the friend of a friend who's an IT certified technician and he's going to help me do some practical analysis of the mass of frequencies and try and figure out first if there's a frequency that would work best for me. He has already determined that the utility company's network is on the 2.4ghz band as is my own network. And while there may be some channels inside that 2.4ghz band, I may want to consider moving over to the 5ghz band. The 5ghz band doesn't broadcast as far as 2.4ghz but, that may not be an issue for me given the size of my space.

@WireToter: Yeah...you make a good point. There's no reason I couldn't just run hard LAN drops off the Xfinity router to the rooms I want service in and just go with a hard connection. Although as VPkpx said, I do indeed have some hardware that will only link up wirelessly. But, I could also connect a small wireless hotspot to that LAN drop once I've run it to the room so that I could have either a hard connection or wireless depending on the hardware.

@VPkpx: Evidently, going with the hi-watt router would be the last resort. Not only would it cause problems for my neighbors but, if it's on the 2.4ghz band, it may cause dropped packets on the utility billing network and I'm not sure what that might mean for my utility bill. Hi-watt is the nuclear option...it may end up being the only option.

@Pgens: Yes, Android here. I'm downloading WiFi analyzer now, thank you for that recommendation. The Wi-Fi channel is somewhat user-configurable on the Xfinity router. Eerily, I've called Xfinity on this several times in the last week with some questions and they've been very helpful so, while I'm not sure I could do it on my own, I'm sure the Xfinity tech-support could walk me through it or when in doubt Google up a forum. I'm sure someone has debunked all of this.

Posted by: FnFY3 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 05:27AM

Moving to 5Ghz is going to be a stopgap solution but it may work for a while since it's unlikely your utility will upgrade their hardware any time soon. You never indicated if the tech tried anything like elevating the router. Sitting it on a desk/table is suboptimal. Does your building have metal studs? If so, some locations next to to wall are going to be "troublesome" -- i.e. don't center the antenna on a wall stud.

You can always get a wireless repeater/range extender.

Date: September 16, 2015 08:28AM

@FnFY3: There's been some talk on my building's BOD that when the current utility contract expires in 2.5 years that either the current provider will be asked via the renewed contract to move to 5ghz OR a commercial frequency not used by consumer internet customers in order to reduce conflicts on 2.4ghz.

Yes, I have had an Xfinity tech out several times to change channels, upgrade software and firmware AND ALSO...move the router around my unit TO INCLUDE elevation.

I hooked up a wireless repeater/range extender but, it's still not giving me full range throughout my domicile.

So, in addition to looking at buying a new wireless router which I would connect to my cable modem...what about spending about the same amount of money and buying a new combination modem/dual-band wireless router? I'm currently paying $10 a month to rent my wireless modem/router and it doesn't really work. If I bought a modem/dual-band wireless router, I could pocket the rental fee which would pay for the hardware in less than 2 years (assuming a $200 retail cost).

Finally, I connect to my office network via a Citrix Access Gateway (VPN)...does this affect my choice of hardware?

Posted by: 3ekm6 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 12:03PM

Again, I don't know the Xfinity stuff at all to know what's required or whether or not you can replace it entirely. Some systems require that their box is in place in order to provide various functionality (e.g., channel guide, remote access, multi-room DVR on FIOS). At least without going through major gyrations in setting up something else to replicate the same network to replace it. Most also won't support anything else if you have problems if that's a concern. But any good modern router will give you the ability to do whatever you want to do as far as control over frequencies, channels, etc., and most likely better coverage too. That's the main reason why I suggested the Asus above or something similar. You can do pretty much whatever you want to do. Whether you have to keep the current router in place or not, they should work either way. Also on those in particular, the interface is fairly easily understandable so, assuming some basic knowledge, not too hard to set up either way.

I may have given you the wrong impression re power. They likely are somewhat more powerful than the basic one that you have but that's relative and not some huge difference in power or consumption. But that incremental difference can make things a lot better (or worse) at a practical level. i.e., If it gets you another 100 feet with a strong enough signal over background, then you're good. Since you said that you'd had them out several times I'm assuming that they've tried all of the easy stuff and whatever they could do within the limits of what sounds like a simple, single-frequency router.

BTW, Target in Falls Church had some of the Asus and Netgear on clearance when I was there the other night. About $25 to $50 off depending on which. Don't know whether or not they're still there obviously. But picking up one locally from a place like that you can try it and take it back if it doesn't work for you.

Posted by: 33phg ()
Date: September 16, 2015 12:13PM

Meant to mention above that VPN shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to set it up to work obviously but that functionality should be there as it is in yours now. It gets more complicated if you have a router behind a router, but you can do it. Also, in most cases you don't necessarily have to have one or the other only right away. You can leave the wireless running on the Xfinity side and just connect to whichever at any given time. That is, you'll just have a new SSID that you can connect to on the new router. Again assuming that you set things up as they need to be.

Date: September 16, 2015 04:20PM

Thanks again...and thanks especially for the heads up on Target's clearance...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.