HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Computer Science versus Computer Engineering
Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: April 26, 2009 05:58PM

I'm hoping there are some computer gurus that can answer this.

Which makes you more marketable, a major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering?

Every computer engineer I talk to has a condescending view of Computer Science majors, saying "oh its just theory," but it seems engineers focus more on hardware whereas a computer science major sees a bigger picture.
Anybody think there is a big difference between the two?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Computer Science versus Computer Engineering
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: April 26, 2009 06:10PM

I think you need to work backwards... what kind of job do you want to do? Once that is answered we can discuss which path is best, or if there are other paths you haven't yet considered.

Date: April 26, 2009 06:17PM

The big thing I work around is data mining/business intelligence software.

But like I said, the EEs I work with all say engineering prepares you better for a career.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 26, 2009 09:39PM

Just get a degree. Most employers really don't care what it's in just that you have it.

Posted by: Libertarian1 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 10:19PM

C.E. is probably better if you plan on going into military applications. Either works for business applications. IT is a tough field. A dual major helps. Business and law are popular dual majors. Foreign languages also help a lot.

Outsourcing, downsizing, disconnected managment, and unworkable process control are just a few of the wonderful things you can look forward to. Good luck and keep your chin up.

Posted by: Awesome ()
Date: April 26, 2009 11:06PM

Computer Science deals more with high-level programming, such as creating user-driven applications. Occasionally more low-level knowledge will also be necessary, but it's not the emphasis of the field. Computer Engineering is more hardware based, you'll learn how to create circuit boards and such.

To put it more simply, Computer Engineering is creating an awesome video card, while Computer Science is about creating a fast game that doesn't tax the video card.

Date: April 26, 2009 11:32PM

Thanks for the info! :)

I look forward to spending the next thirty years in a grey cube with florescent lights overhead draining my soul...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 11:32PM by Furfur.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 27, 2009 12:52AM

Awesome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To put it more simply, Computer Engineering is
> creating an awesome video card, while Computer
> Science is about creating a fast game that doesn't
> tax the video card.

GMU, NVCC and a bunch of other universities switched to teaching Java instead of C++ because "it's where the market is going," (a: bullshit b: whatever happened to education?!) so you wont be making games unless they are for cell phones and you certainly wont have access to a video card.

if you want to actually learn how to program, find some place that teaches C++. if you want to be a puppet, pick a place that teaches Java or C#.

im a professional computer programmer, i know this shit.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 27, 2009 01:18AM

Furfur Wrote:
> Thanks for the info! :)
>
>
> I look forward to spending the next thirty years
> in a grey cube with florescent lights overhead
> draining my soul...

What soul?

Date: April 27, 2009 05:05AM

Spunky, I can be reached at Elliot@dc101.com Call me when you come to your senses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2009 05:08AM by Furfur.

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: April 27, 2009 10:24AM

I was a Comp Eng major in college, and in my experience the CE major was kinda like a bastardized version of the Electrical Engineering major with some basic Computer Science courses thrown in. (This wasn't a local university, so YMMV at GMU or Nova.)

If you're into both hardware and software, I'd recommend an EE major with a minor in Comp Sci or Software Engineering.

Gravis Wrote:
> if you want to actually learn how to program, find
> some place that teaches C++.

+1. A word of warning, though: C++ was the first language I learned to program in, but it didn't make any goddamn sense to me until I learned C a few years later. If you want to learn C++, you'd be well-served having a background in C first.

Date: April 27, 2009 11:01AM

He isn't going to need C++ or Java to do data mining, he'll be using data mining / business intelligence tools and SQL. It sounds like the career he is looking to is something like enterprise data architecture, and that will likely be more in the business major field than compsci/engineering. Hardware / electrical engineering isn't even close to what he wants to do. He needs a background in data modeling and such, not how to make a video card.

Posted by: fright ()
Date: April 27, 2009 12:46PM

ComSci jobs make more money then engineers and there are plenty of jobs to boot. I really like C++ but do C# at work (which I also like). There are something that you can only do in a lower level language like C++ so it's a great skill to have.

Date: April 27, 2009 02:50PM

fright Wrote:
> I really like C++ but do C# at work (which I also
> like). There are something that you can only do
> in a lower level language like C++

yeah, like having real control over memory management.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2009 02:54PM by Gravis.

Date: April 27, 2009 05:51PM

pgens said:

"It sounds like the career he is looking to is something like enterprise data architecture, and that will likely be more in the business major field than compsci/engineering"

Thanks again for the info. I had considered looking at a BSBA with a concentration in Management Information Systems, but I think I will stick with a computer science degree.

Gravis said:

"if you want to actually learn how to program, find some place that teaches C++. if you want to be a puppet, pick a place that teaches Java or C#."

LOL, someone just told me today that she had to take Calculus 4 before she could start C++ programming. Is this true in your experience?

Date: April 27, 2009 08:33PM

Furfur Wrote:
> Gravis said:
>
> "if you want to actually learn how to program,
> find some place that teaches C++. if you want to
> be a puppet, pick a place that teaches Java or
> C#."
>
> LOL, someone just told me today that she had to
> take Calculus 4 before she could start C++
> programming. Is this true in your experience?

no.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: April 27, 2009 08:42PM

I have a roomate in school who did CE and he now works on Infrared cameras for the Army making big bucks. I work with a lot of comp sci people. Like someone said CE is basically hardware while CS is software. If you want to get into the whole IT cluster fuck that is the Reston area when you graduate I suggest you take some classes on Oracle and/or SQL I work in a primarly web based software company so we're heavy on the C# and .NET w/ a SQL backend.

Posted by: VAviking ()
Date: April 27, 2009 10:33PM

I don't know programing, but I have hired more than a few IT professionals (go figure, typical corporations - send in an accountant who doesn't know squat about software to hire computer programmers). The one thing I do know is the more software you know, the better. It makes you more "marketable," (God, I hate that term).

One thing you might want to do is go to Monster.com and CareerBuilders.com and look at the type of jobs you might want and then look at the requirements for those jobs. This will give you an idea in areas you might want to concentrate on.

Date: April 28, 2009 12:04AM

Vaviking wrote:

"send in an accountant who doesn't know squat about software to hire computer programmers"

The last place I worked my system admin had a masters in accounting, and she also was in charge of hiring white hats for my organization's CERT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 12:28AM by Furfur.

Posted by: Java is the future! ()
Date: April 28, 2009 08:31PM

Gravis Wrote:
> fright Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I really like C++ but do C# at work (which I
> also
> > like). There are something that you can only
> do
> > in a lower level language like C++
>
> yeah, like having real control over memory
> management.

Memory management, who cares? Garbage collector is good enough!!!
Attachments:
ThumbsUp.jpg

Date: April 28, 2009 08:58PM

Java is the future! Wrote:
> Memory management, who cares? Garbage collector is
> good enough!!!

you are on your way to being a great piss poor programmer!

Posted by: question ()
Date: April 28, 2009 10:21PM

Speaking of Java. What's the future here? Looks like C# is catching up quick. What's the impact of Oracle's purchase of SUN for Java and Mysql?

Date: April 29, 2009 07:39AM

The impact is Oracle will support Java like they always have, and companies will make decisions between J2EE, .Net, and other platforms as they see fit.

MySQL is a different story. Oracle already wants to spin off OpenOffice. Unless they intend to have the OpenOffice project replace HSQLDB with MySQL for its database app, my guess is they will spin it off too or sell it. Or if they are smart, make a support subsidiary group and draw income from support even if it competes with its other product in some areas.

Date: April 29, 2009 01:24PM

pgens Wrote:
> MySQL is a different story. Oracle already wants
> to spin off OpenOffice. Unless they intend to
> have the OpenOffice project replace HSQLDB with
> MySQL for its database app, my guess is they will
> spin it off too or sell it.

i dont even care, it's a slow ass piece of shit that hogs resources. yeah, that's java for you.

Posted by: Oldie ()
Date: April 29, 2009 04:17PM

Furfur, I would recommend that you look at the bigger long-term picture. I'm dating myself, but when I went to college a few years back, there was no CS degree available but it was a strong engineering school and I filled electives with CS courses. The languages we learned back then were BASIC, COBOL, PL1, APL, and some assembler I don't remember. And some specialty systems like SPSS. Not just the languages, but the even the methodologies are now considered obsolete. Does anyone still argue the merits of structured programming anymore? My point is: better to learn the methodology than the specifics during your undergraduate time. So I would recommend Computer Engineering... the engineering methodologies will serve you well regardless of where you end up in a career.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.