HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Police Experts. Wilson was terrible, he was a negligent cop.
Posted by: excopBPD ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:29AM

In his first public interview this week, Darren Wilson, the white police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Mo., was asked whether he could have done anything differently that would have prevented the killing.

His answer, broadcast on Wednesday, to the question from George Stephanopoulos of ABC News, was unequivocal: “No.”

But even as a grand jury decided this week not to indict Officer Wilson, the shooting of the 18-year-old, Michael Brown, has continued to raise questions about whether the officer handled the brief and deadly confrontation correctly. It also has become part of a broader national debate over police tactics and potential racial bias in policing.

And with the unusual release of the evidence presented to the grand jury, criminologists and experts in police procedure and tactics now have an extraordinarily detailed record with which to evaluate the shooting, which touched off riots in Ferguson and protests across the country.

Documents Released in the Ferguson CaseNOV. 25, 2014
Protesters marched to City Hall in St. Louis on Wednesday and held a mock trial on the killing of Michael Brown.Ferguson, Still Tense, Grows Calmer NOV. 26, 2014
One of the photos of Officer Darren Wilson, taken following the shooting, that were provided to the grand jury as evidence. Amid Conflicting Accounts, Trusting Darren WilsonNOV. 25, 2014
Despite Chaos, Police in Ferguson React With Restraint Not Shown After August KillingNOV. 25, 2014
To many experts, Officer Wilson’s actions in the confrontation with Mr. Brown — as he described them to the grand jury — were within the bounds of standard police protocol. Officer Wilson testified to the grand jury that the two struggled over his service weapon while he was still in his police vehicle, and that later, after a brief chase, he fired the fatal shots at Mr. Brown because the teenager was coming toward him in a threatening way.

Continue reading the main story
Officer Darren Wilson’s Grand Jury Testimony in Ferguson, Mo., Shooting
Officer Wilson explained why, in his view, the episode with Michael Brown, whom he compared to a demon and Hulk Hogan, became violent.

But while the precise timeline and exact circumstances of the shooting may never be fully known, several law enforcement experts challenged Officer Wilson’s assessment that nothing could have been done to change the deadly course of his confrontation with Mr. Brown.

From the time Officer Wilson first encountered Mr. Brown walking with a friend in the middle of the street on a hot afternoon in August, to the point the teenager lay dead on the pavement, there were several opportunities to de-escalate the confrontation, said Eugene O’Donnell, a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a former New York City police officer. Mr. O’Donnell pointed in particular to the initial moments of the confrontation, when the officer and Mr. Brown are said to have struggled through the open window of the officer’s police cruiser.

“There certainly wouldn’t be a prohibition of him driving a little further along and regrouping, calling for help and thinking about nonlethal weaponry,” Mr. O’Donnell said, referring to Officer Wilson. “Just because you’re a police officer doesn’t mean you have to go into a situation headfirst.”

Officer Wilson, whose detailed, four-hour grand jury testimony was among the evidence made public this week, contends that he was caught up in a rapidly escalating confrontation that started as a routine police stop and quickly spun out of control. Mr. Brown, he said, essentially pinned him in his police cruiser, holding the door shut while punching him in the face. He said he considered an array of responses, including using pepper spray or his baton, but found them all lacking.

“The only option I thought I had was my gun,” he said, according to a transcript of his testimony.

That conclusion was confounding to Edward Davis, who retired last year as Boston police commissioner after 35 years as an officer there and in Lowell, Mass.

“There has been a significant change in the use of force by police in the 35 years I’ve been in the business — new tools like Tasers and really effective pepper sprays,” Mr. Davis said. “When you look at the whole way this situation transpired, it’s disappointing to see someone not use those intermediate tools available.”

In his testimony, Officer Wilson said that he did not have a Taser weapon with him at the time, and that he preferred not to carry one because it is large and not “very comfortable.” He said he did not use mace because it was difficult to reach and the spray could have blown back at him. His baton and flashlight, he said, were also inaccessible.

In his testimony, Officer Wilson said he never had any thought to fall back, even if only to make a tactical retreat to reassess and perhaps wait for backup officers. Part of the reason is training, experts said. In the heat of a violent altercation, police officers in many cases are trained to engage, not back down. In this case, though, human psychology may also have come into play, said Vincent E. Henry, an expert in the use of force by the police at the Homeland Security Management Institute at Long Island University.

“To back up and maybe follow him until backup arrived, in retrospect it might have been a better choice, but we don’t know that Officer Wilson saw that as a valid option,” Mr. Henry said. “Who would want to get punched in the face and then kind of say, ‘Let me just back up and follow this individual.’ A natural emotional reaction is to ratchet it up.”

In his testimony, Officer Wilson said that when he pulled his gun out, Mr. Brown reached through the window and grabbed it. That was a major escalation from which there was probably no turning back, some experts said.

Although I am skeptical of Officer Brown's claim that he had no choice except to shoot, I have yet to see any explanation of why Officer...
charles c. 1 hour ago
For all those who said that if Wilson had been indicted it would have given attorneys the chance to cross examine Wilson, need I remind you...
R36 1 hour ago

There are three different questions here which should be kept separate.a) Should officer Wilson have been indicted? Answer: No.b) Could he...

“It’s a whole different ballgame,” said Fred Bealefeld, who was a Baltimore police officer for 31 years and police commissioner from 2007 to 2012. “If someone is trying to disarm a police officer or grab their weapon, that’s a felony. If someone grabs your weapon, as a cop you’re not thinking they are going to scare you with it. In my mind, every time someone tried to grab my gun in the street, they were going to try to kill me. That encounter changes everything.”

From then on, most experts said, Officer Wilson was very likely following standard police protocol in using whatever force was necessary to protect himself.

But for some experts, the shooting and the events that preceded it raised broader policy questions, particularly about how officers engage with communities they patrol. In his initial encounter with Mr. Brown and his friend in the street, Officer Wilson never exited his vehicle, voicing commands through the window of his cruiser instead.

“The notion of riding through neighborhoods yelling, ‘Get up on the curb’ or ‘Get out of the street,’ is not where you want your officers to be,” Mr. Bealefeld said. “You want them out of their cars, engaging the public and explaining to people what it is you are trying to do. Drive-by policing is not good for any community.”

In cities like Los Angeles and New York, police departments have invested huge resources into community outreach efforts, particularly in poor minority neighborhoods, with varied success. In Ferguson, where the vast majority of police officers are white and most of the residents are black, many black residents have blamed aggressive policing for creating tensions.

In September, weeks after the shooting, the Justice Department announced that it was opening a broad civil rights investigation into whether the police in Ferguson have a history of discrimination or misuse of force amid complaints of racial profiling, harassment and improper stops of black residents by police officers.

\
While Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said the federal investigation offered the possibility for “wholesale change,” it could take months to complete.

In Ferguson, emotions are raw as many continue to demand punishment for Officer Wilson. But Officer Wilson, in his interview this week, said he was confident he had done nothing wrong.

“I know that I did my job right,” he said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Police Experts. Wilson was terrible, he was a negligent cop.
Posted by: libz cutznpaste... ()
Date: November 27, 2014 12:24PM

4 out of 5 experts agree...

Still dead

Posted by: Gunlover ()
Date: November 27, 2014 12:45PM

libz cutznpaste... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4 out of 5 experts agree...
>
> Still dead

They don't have no notches on theirs guns. I guess not ever using your gun makes you an expert. They know when to gun or run, more likely run.

Never Run Out of Ammo

Guns Don't Kill People. People Kill People

Them or You

The two most important days in your life are the day your were born and and the day you find out why

Posted by: Joke Cop ()
Date: November 27, 2014 12:57PM

Every cop I've talked with says the Ferguson police force is a complete joke.

Date: November 27, 2014 12:59PM

Joke Cop Wrote:
> Every cop I've talked with says the Ferguson
> police force is a complete joke.

They might be a joke too.

Never Run Out of Ammo

Them or You

The two most important days in your life are the day your were born and and the day you find out why

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 12:59PM by Gunlover.

Posted by: Troff ()
Date: November 27, 2014 01:16PM

Ferguson police are keystone cops. Can't we just cut Ferguson out of the US and let it float away out to sea with all people, both the whites and blacks. Looks like a cesspool of trailer trash.

Posted by: E. Bonics ()
Date: November 27, 2014 01:55PM

libz cutznpaste... Wrote:
> 4 out of 5 experts agree...
>
> Still dead

He DONE dead.

Posted by: FX PD P3 Mt. Vernon ()
Date: November 27, 2014 02:04PM

So many experts, let's hear from some veteran law enforcement that have had to actually shoot someone. Most of these so called experts have flown a desk so long, they forget what is like to actually interact with the community every day let alone make an actual arrest.

Everyone is an expert, but very few have walked in the shoes. Time for you mother fuckers to STFU. If you think that you can do better, apply to be a police officer and go to the academy. If you have any smarts and good attitude, you may graduate and go through months of training with an FTI.

Then after a year, you may have made it off probation, be on your own and time for you to make a differece.

Posted by: Treg ()
Date: November 27, 2014 02:39PM

FX PD P3 Mt. Vernon Wrote:
> So many experts, let's hear from some veteran law
> enforcement that have had to actually shoot
> someone. Most of these so called experts have
> flown a desk so long, they forget what is like to
> actually interact with the community every day let
> alone make an actual arrest.
>
> Everyone is an expert, but very few have walked in
> the shoes. Time for you mother fuckers to STFU. If
> you think that you can do better, apply to be a
> police officer and go to the academy. If you have
> any smarts and good attitude, you may graduate and
> go through months of training with an FTI.
>
> Then after a year, you may have made it off
> probation, be on your own and time for you to make
> a differece.

There are PLENTY of veteran law officers refuting the actions in Ferguson. I read one account of a guy who was a 25 year retired patrol officer and he agreed Wilson was a rookie with poor training.

Part of being a good cop is not acting like an ass and not shooting all citizens you protect.

Brown didn't even have a weapon!

Date: November 27, 2014 02:41PM

Treg Wrote:
> FX PD P3 Mt. Vernon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So many experts, let's hear from some veteran
> law
> > enforcement that have had to actually shoot
> > someone. Most of these so called experts have
> > flown a desk so long, they forget what is like
> to
> > actually interact with the community every day
> let
> > alone make an actual arrest.
> >
> > Everyone is an expert, but very few have walked
> in
> > the shoes. Time for you mother fuckers to STFU.
> If
> > you think that you can do better, apply to be a
> > police officer and go to the academy. If you
> have
> > any smarts and good attitude, you may graduate
> and
> > go through months of training with an FTI.
> >
> > Then after a year, you may have made it off
> > probation, be on your own and time for you to
> make
> > a differece.
>
> There are PLENTY of veteran law officers refuting
> the actions in Ferguson. I read one account of a
> guy who was a 25 year retired patrol officer and
> he agreed Wilson was a rookie with poor training.
>
> Part of being a good cop is not acting like an ass
> and not shooting all citizens you protect.
>
> Brown didn't even have a weapon!

Who do you know, name? Nobody, just speaking out of the basement. Just keep making shit up somebody might believe you.

Never Run Out of Ammo

Them or You

Posted by: The Gunlover Creed ()
Date: November 27, 2014 03:05PM

Just keep posting and I'll continue typing bullshit that makes no sense.

Posted by: Misshapen Penis ()
Date: November 27, 2014 05:18PM

Troff Wrote:
> Ferguson police are keystone cops. Can't we just
> cut Ferguson out of the US and let it float away
> out to sea with all people, both the whites and
> blacks. Looks like a cesspool of trailer trash.

Yeah like Ferguson is a coastal community. You're as dumb as the niggers who live there.

Posted by: Air Filtre ()
Date: November 27, 2014 05:46PM

> Ferguson police are keystone cops. Can't we just
> cut Ferguson out of the US and let it float away
> out to sea with all people, both the whites and
> blacks. Looks like a cesspool of trailer trash.

Yeah like Ferguson is a coastal community. You're as dumb as the niggers who live there.

Hey dumbfuck, he obvious meant that the town would be cut out by gigantic lazers and then lifted up by some sort of really cool tractor beams and THEN floated out to sea...

Posted by: Ofc. Ellen Ripley ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:26PM

I say we ... nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted by: My Man ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:46PM

Uncle Tom
Attachments:
ferguson183.jpg
0febd479-b91b-4ccb-9946-a14e79971844-620x372.jpeg

Posted by: rjs ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:49PM

Joke Cop Wrote:

I don't believe a fucking word you are saying. Making things up is a FAIL!

Posted by: Dont Shoot, Let Me Riot ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:51PM

My Man Wrote:
> Uncle Tom

Have you noticed all the pictures of people cleaning up the mess are white people and all the rioting and looting pictures are niggers? The nigs need to be moved to another planet ASAP.

Posted by: Crips Night ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:56PM

Dont Shoot, Let Me Riot Wrote:
> My Man Wrote:
> -----
> > Uncle Tom
>
>
> Have you noticed all the pictures of people
> cleaning up the mess are white people and all the
> rioting and looting pictures are niggers? The nigs
> need to be moved to another planet ASAP.
Attachments:
140816114147-01-ferguson-0816-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Posted by: Troopers ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:04PM

Protect citizens
Attachments:
141125_POL_FergusonTroopers.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg
237DB64100000578-2844491-image-89_1416918235492.jpg

Posted by: Rest in Pieces ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:10PM

They always steal Newports. What's up with that?

Posted by: My Nigga ()
Date: November 28, 2014 12:48AM

Tom ass sweaty motherfucker
Attachments:
Missouri-State-Highway-Patrol-Captain-Ron-Johnson-L-speaks-to-protesters-as-he-walks-through-a-peaceful-demonstration-as-communities-continue-to-react-to-the-shooting-of-Michael-Brown-in-Ferguson-Missouri-August-14-2014.-REUTERS_Lucas-Jackson.jpg

Posted by: 6CDPt ()
Date: November 28, 2014 02:37AM

rjs Wrote:
> Joke Cop Wrote:
> -----
> > Every cop I've talked with says the Ferguson
> > police force is a complete joke.
>
> I don't believe a fucking word you are saying.
> Making things up is a FAIL!

Every cop they've talked to = none.

lol

Posted by: Only In A NIGGERS EYE! ()
Date: November 28, 2014 03:09AM

Joke Cop Wrote:

HA!

Posted by: extasis ()
Date: November 28, 2014 03:46AM

file.php?40,file=166137,filename=Picture

file.php?40,file=166138,filename=Picture

file.php?40,file=166139,filename=Picture

Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

Posted by: Petula Clark ()
Date: November 28, 2014 04:56AM

Bad, untrained, trigger happy cops?

All the more reason to avoid the police.

But sub humans can't seem to figure that out.

Posted by: hoopty ()
Date: November 29, 2014 04:20PM

It would be tough to find a professional cop that wanted to work an area like Ferguson. The fools act like wild animals, as proven by the riots. The grand jury may have already known that Ferguson was populated by scum, known that a cop needs to keep his finger a little closer to the trigger than he would in most communities. The riots took all the credibility from the protesters, and removed my questions about excessive force.

Posted by: Thank God for National Guard ()
Date: November 29, 2014 04:51PM

That Ferguson P dept sucks! Even during the riots they behaved like a bunch of pussies. What kind of Dept leaves an AR15 rifle in a cruiser during a riot? A real bunch of amateurs, I don't doubt for a moment the veracity of what the Blacks say about this bunch of yahoos. Even former NY mayor Gulliani on Fox the other day, shook his head at their method of procedures, especially during the riots.

Posted by: bunch of idiots ()
Date: November 30, 2014 12:32PM

comparing nypd resources to fergurson pd resources is like comparing a jv high school football team to a nfl team. ferguson pd is a tiny dept, with a limited budget and resources. they prob have very little training and equipment to deal with riots. and where was the national guard the first night of the riots? they werent there, and that was the governors mistake after saying the guard would be there to help. first off, the guard have less power than the cops do. they are only there to deter something from happening and shutting down roads.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.