HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The New Xbox
Posted by: asnpcwiz ()
Date: May 12, 2005 12:13PM

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up (in case you don't know or didn't remember)...MTV will be debuting the new Xbox tonight at 9:30. I hear it's a badass, and they'll be providing all the specs and info on it. The system should be coming out this year, so don't forget to watch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The New Xbox
Posted by: DZK ()
Date: May 12, 2005 12:20PM

delicious

thanks

Posted by: umussbebored ()
Date: May 12, 2005 02:52PM

Xbox? that's a video game system, right? I used to play video games when I was a kid too.

Date: May 12, 2005 05:05PM

I'm far from being a kid...but I still love video games! Never grew out of it I guess.

Posted by: zenzer0 ()
Date: May 12, 2005 06:05PM

the new xbox is uuuuuuuugly
in my opinion
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000490042605

Date: May 12, 2005 08:28PM

Cases are easy to replace...I want to see what kind of games it came play and I want to see how easy it will be to mod that bad boy!!!

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 13, 2005 05:13PM

Ehh... the only good game views they gave were cut-scene crap that looks great on any platform. The console is ugly and too big. About the only thing I likes was that the controllers were wireless, though in my setup the console is behind my so hopefully it's RF based and not IR. All hi-def is nice. If they don't play XBox 1 games then I don't want another console cluttering up my area... I'll wait a couple of years until it's down to $150. I just wasn't that impressed. The FPS they had a little competition on didn't look any better than any other FPS. blah.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: May 13, 2005 06:15PM

wireless controllers = usually bluetooth (rf)

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 14, 2005 10:00AM

let's hope, but the wireless controllers I have used on PS2 were basically line-of-sight, and even then they sucked.

eww bluetooth
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 14, 2005 10:25AM

i hope they arent bluetooth. if you dont know, bluetooth basically vomits radiowaves on a large band of frequencies. it fucks up a lot of non-computer equipment.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: May 14, 2005 01:01PM

radio waves sound a lot better to me right this second than whatever the hell that was I vomited last night

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: May 14, 2005 02:44PM

bluetooth uses the 2.4ghz range along with the rest of the "personal use" high frequency wireless electronics like 802.11 wi-fi, cordless phones, etc.

blame the fcc. 2.4ghz is one of the only ranges of spectrum they've opened up for "unlicensed use"

oh, and your microwave spits out 1000+ watts in the 2.4ghz range too. check your ping times on your wireless internet while making some popcorn.

a lot of the newer cordless phones (and 802.11a i think) uses the higher 5.8ghz unlicensed frequency, but in time that will be saturated too.

Date: May 15, 2005 08:07AM

I've just seen much more bad than good with bluetooth. However, the best wireless gamepad technology I have used is in the "WaveBird" controller for the GameCube. Regaurdless of you feelings toward GameCube, if you use that controller, you will agree it is the best. (no bitching until you have tried it!)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: May 15, 2005 11:36AM

where can you get wavebird around here, I'm game for a wireless controller

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: May 16, 2005 12:40PM

anybody know the adapter rule in the G7?

Date: May 16, 2005 09:46PM

rstidman,
The wavebird controller(rememeber, it's only for Game Cube), can be purchased at Best Buy, EBX, Electronics Botique, Game Stop(formerly funcoland), and Starland.

Posted by: dlee ()
Date: May 17, 2005 10:33AM

K-mart has new wavebirds cheap. $25. Or get a used one at EB. I got two that way, and they work fine.

Posted by: Smobien ()
Date: May 20, 2005 04:25AM

blah blah blah. its all Hype.

And MTV? haha. They sold out like a decade ago. Fuck the new xbox.

The PS3 is where its at - Read the specs.

Date: May 20, 2005 07:34AM

and I assume PS3 is not hyped?

Both are fucking games. Get a life folks. What good can possibly come from sitting in front of a video screen?

My daughter has some games that teach the alphabet, counting, colors, hand-eye coordination, etc. All of this is perfectly appropriate for teaching a 4 year old the basics.

Posted by: wanksta ()
Date: May 20, 2005 04:44PM

shit you need to be letting your little girl play grand theft auto San Andreas, not that hooked on phonics crap

Date: May 20, 2005 08:58PM

Yeah, that's what I wanna teach my kid ... how to steal a car.

Date: May 23, 2005 04:11AM

PaperPusher,
> "What good can possibly come from sitting in front of a video screen?"

Actually, lots of good things can come from playing video games. Here are a few:

- improved eye-hand cordination
- faster/clearer understanding of abstract geometry
- release of tension/anger (kids are FAR less likely to be violent in school by playing games [there have been many studies])
- knowledge of the latest graphics technologies

seriously, some of those are priceless. i kill people in a vitual world... so now i wont have to serve a life sentence! \o/

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: May 24, 2005 09:09AM

The PS3's cell processor mainly processes floating-point operations (six out of seven cores are dedicated to floating-point calculations), and only one is general-purpose, while all three of the 360's cores are general purpose. Plus, look at the PS3's controller. Tell me that shit isn't ugly and uncomfortable-looking.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Date: May 24, 2005 11:20AM

Gravis, interesting comments ... BUT, I don't play the games and the thought of killing people is FAR from my mind. Does that mean that IF one plays video games that they are necessarily predisposed to murder?

Posted by: Gravis_ ()
Date: May 24, 2005 02:22PM

PaperPusher,
While many people like you(i think) that videogames heavily influence violent tendencies of the players of those games, it is far from the truth. Regaurdless of your personal tastes, it does not mean that is not entertainment for others. It does not require one to have homocidal tendencies to enjoy a game of fantasy. It does not have to be realistic violence to be stress relieving. There are many genres of games. The fact that it is fictional is what makes it appealing, to escape from ones life. This is the same reason people enjoy television shows, movies, novels, or any other form of media. Oh... and while they were comments, they were also scientific fact.

Date: May 24, 2005 02:39PM

I sometimes watch my 4 year old daughter playing video games and unscientifically notice how her demeanor changes after spending time in front of the monitor. Her games are barbie type of little girl games but her stress level is noticeably higher after playing the games. I realize that my watching her is a statistical sample of 1 but to me it's a pretty good indication that the negative effects outweigh the positive. Positives are that she is assisted with learning counting, reading, hand-eye coordinating, following directions, general computer skills, etc. These positives are enough for me to allow her to continue but on a limited basis.

Date: May 24, 2005 05:48PM

it's too late, you let her play them already so she's going to become a serial rapist, a hired killer, or a plumber who eats mushrooms

oh or a contract spy for a secret agency of the gov't

Date: May 24, 2005 11:12PM

I've failed as a pappa.

Date: May 25, 2005 12:47AM

PaperPusher,
Yes, video games can cause stress, significant stress even. However, if this was true for most games, nobody would play them. Also, a 4-year-old girl is far different than the typical teenage male that play games. There are interesting neurocognative differences in the sexes which seem apparent to make it easier for males to grasp abstract geometry. This is scientific now, I'm not basing this on my own opinions. Males are more able to imagine and manipulate 3d imagry mentally. As for your child, her mind is far underdeveloped so it will always be a struggle and frustrating. Games do provide a good environment for learning by experience (trail, error, and logic) rather than just being told. Oh... but rstidman is right, she's doomed to be a serial rapist or something. My money is she'll be workin' the corner at 14. See... now you are offended... the internet is evil, better not use it. :)

Date: May 25, 2005 08:08AM

OWN3D!!!1!1!!one

But seriously, my psychiatrist (spelling?) did a study on the effects of violent games on kids and found no link to psychological problems. Of course, my mom doesn't believe her, so even though I'm 17 in two days, I don't get to play Doom 3.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Date: May 25, 2005 08:11AM

I have to admit that after I shot and killed the whore I fucked the other night and took back my cash, I seriously wondered if maybe video games have becomed too much of an influence.

Right afterward I stole an ice cream truck and went on a rampage

Date: May 25, 2005 10:43AM

Gravis, I'm not offended. After the initial shock of having picked up my own daughter on the corner at 14, I'd probably recognize that it was my own old ass ways that screwed up her mind so badly.

should have let her have icecream at midnight
should have let her play doom 3 (whatever that is)
should have let her jump on the bed
should have let her go to sleep on her own schedule instead of mine.

So many places where I can screw up her life totally.

Date: June 07, 2005 01:56PM

Here's the Webster's definition of Doom 3:

Doom 3 (n) - 1. PC and Xbox game with amazing graphics featuring the slaughter of demons

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: gamer ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:06AM

Crysis

Real Life

Posted by: bloody sunday ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:00AM

gamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Crysis
>
> Real Life

wtf is wrong with you? why did you bump this old ass thread?

Posted by: PathetiK ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:49AM

The only thing I noticed is how Gravis and pgens have been posting since 2005. Truly pathetic...

Posted by: dono ()
Date: March 26, 2009 12:44PM

my God...

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:13PM

Yeah, really weird that people tend to do things they like for extended periods of time.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: PathetiK ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:16PM

Mr.Mephisto said:

"Yeah, really weird that people tend to do things they like for extended periods of time."

And what's that? Starting arguments and flaming each other? Time to grow up.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:24PM

PathetiK Wrote:
> Mr.Mephisto said:
>
> "Yeah, really weird that people tend to do things
> they like for extended periods of time."
>
> And what's that? Starting arguments and flaming
> each other? Time to grow up.

Wow, that's some irony right there.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:42PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:54PM

i can't wait to see the new xbox!

Date: March 26, 2009 06:08PM

bdimag Wrote:
> i can't wait to see the new xbox!

file.php?2,file=2212

Posted by: XBOX 720 ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:37PM

the XBOX 720 is going to be cool. In stores Tuesday!

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: April 29, 2010 11:57PM

Xbox 720? Where was I for 361-719?

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: April 30, 2010 12:33AM

Great. Who the hell left the window open and let that gay bird back in here?

Sorry son, if there was a lamer than lame... well you would have to be lamerer.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: April 30, 2010 07:45AM

So 360 has been out for about 5 years now...are there any rumors about a new Xbox coming out soon?

Posted by: X Boxer ()
Date: April 30, 2010 09:54AM

Only rumor i heard is from a friend that works for Microsoft. He said they are going to come out with a camera attachemnt that will make the xbox like the wii. you wont need a controller though. it will follow your body movement instead. when you play a fighting game you will actually be fighting in your living room..etc. should be out by the end of this year.

Posted by: Pa Ho Dunk ()
Date: June 13, 2010 03:56PM

bloody sunday Wrote:

> wtf is wrong with you? why did you bump this old
> ass thread?

+1

Posted by: TheNewxbox ()
Date: June 15, 2011 01:45PM

Bump

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.