HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Obama Speach
Posted by: BobW ()
Date: March 24, 2009 08:59PM

Anyone have opinions on what he said??

pretty good i thought.. no TelePrompTer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obama Speach
Posted by: meme ()
Date: March 24, 2009 09:12PM

BobW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone have opinions on what he said??
>
>
> pretty good i thought.. no TelePrompTer?

I like Obama but would like some clarity on the doubling of the budget thing after 9 years. One can never get the full story out of these meetings so does anyone have details?

Thanks

Posted by: Gramma Grammar ()
Date: March 24, 2009 10:14PM

What is a SPEACH?

Date: March 24, 2009 10:36PM

it is a mixture between a peach and speech

obama likes peaches

Date: March 24, 2009 11:18PM

My wife was ecstatic that we have a President who can actually provide a cogent answer to a question.

Date: March 24, 2009 11:24PM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
> My wife was ecstatic that we have a President who
> can actually provide a cogent answer to a
> question.

AGREED although i don't have a wife, im just saying that i agree with what ur wife is saying .

hurray for intelligence!

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: March 24, 2009 11:24PM

l

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 01:49PM by Alias.

Date: March 24, 2009 11:26PM

ok i apologize. something must be in the keyboards tonight. speaches are rampant tonight

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: March 25, 2009 12:55AM

k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 01:38PM by Alias.

Posted by: Winner ()
Date: March 25, 2009 01:38AM

The news media is so pissed that Obama is speaking directly the Americain people.

Aaah poor news media can't spin it? This is 2009, we twitter, it's old news by time the newspapers print it or TV show respond.

I would say Jimmy Carter flash backs, but Obama's Harvard Law years are showing credit now.

Posted by: Teleprompter ()
Date: March 25, 2009 08:06AM

BobW Wrote:
> Anyone have opinions on what he said??
>
>
> pretty good i thought.. no TelePrompTer?

You're right. he didn't use a teleprompter because he wanted to appear as if he didn't need that speaking crutch he has become accustomed to. Instead, he read the speech off a flat-screen monitor perched at the back of the East Room. Because the flat screen was out of every camera shot, it appeared he was delivering the speech without any assistance.

Posted by: RightiesAreLame ()
Date: March 25, 2009 08:33AM

ooooh.. He reads from a teleprompter. Good one. Frontline's portrayal of GW's destruction of this country is right on. Multiple massive tax cuts in time of war (probably so the country wouldn't revolt against him) and massive spending on health care tanked the economy. Also subverting the legislative process on spending bills to push their agenda through by exploiting loopholes. They didn't even go into the whole deregulation of wall st. Bush/Cheney really needs to go to jail.

Posted by: dunebuggy ()
Date: March 25, 2009 08:41AM

BobW Wrote:
> it is a mixture between a peach and speech
>
> obama likes peaches

movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches

Posted by: tighty righty ()
Date: March 25, 2009 08:43AM

Teleprompter Wrote:
> BobW Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone have opinions on what he said??
> >
> >
> > pretty good i thought.. no TelePrompTer?
>
> You're right. he didn't use a teleprompter
> because he wanted to appear as if he didn't need
> that speaking crutch he has become accustomed to.
> Instead, he read the speech off a flat-screen
> monitor perched at the back of the East Room.
> Because the flat screen was out of every camera
> shot, it appeared he was delivering the speech
> without any assistance.

He DID use a teleprompter. It was just hidden from your view. Just watch his tennis match head going back and forth.

READ THIS YOU LAMBS......
Obama and his teleprompter

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: March 25, 2009 08:49AM

This teleprompter issue is the weakest issue I have ever heard. Who dreams this stuff up and how do people wrap themselves around the meaningless? I guess it's merely an attempt to distract...to delay the inevitable...but the President is persistent...I am persistent..you will not distract us with idiot issues. Bring up a meaningful issue and we will discuss...no more on teleprompters!

Date: March 25, 2009 09:35AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> This teleprompter issue is the weakest issue I
> have ever heard. Who dreams this stuff up and how
> do people wrap themselves around the meaningless?
> I guess it's merely an attempt to distract...to
> delay the inevitable...but the President is
> persistent...I am persistent..you will not
> distract us with idiot issues. Bring up a
> meaningful issue and we will discuss...no more on
> teleprompters!

Your attention please...Everyone...Please, Your attention.

Vince has spoken.

There are to be no more comments about Obama and his teleprompter. No more. The teleprompter and Obama is now restricted. Vince says that this is so and I expect you all to abide to Vince's wishes.

You do know that Vince is the king of FU, right? You know, the FU*king!

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: March 25, 2009 10:21AM

The Vince always says that when it is afraid to address an issue. Surely it would be easier for it if we didn't discuss the issue, that way it doesn't have to try to defend a nonsensical position.

The Vince becomes very confused and befuddled at these times. It blindly supports the demokrats, even frequents their web sites to get its talking points. But then when the demokrats do things that fly in the face of reason, it gets confused. Its main avenue of defense is to simply say the issue doesn't matter, hoping everyone will move on.

Unlike Europe, which in today's news is tempering its own blind Obama euphoria and calling Obama's policies "a way to hell" (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/EU-presidency-US-economic-apf-14737788.html), the Vince must continue to cheerlead.

Posted by: Master Limbaugh ()
Date: March 25, 2009 10:26AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> This teleprompter issue is the weakest issue I
> have ever heard. Who dreams this stuff up and how
> do people wrap themselves around the meaningless?
> I guess it's merely an attempt to distract...to
> delay the inevitable...but the President is
> persistent...I am persistent..you will not
> distract us with idiot issues. Bring up a
> meaningful issue and we will discuss...no more on
> teleprompters!

Don't listen to this guy. More Teleprompter. More Teleprompter. We've got them between the ropes.

Posted by: Speachy Keen ()
Date: March 25, 2009 10:47AM

I've got your teleprompter right here, righttards...
Attachments:
FYOUgraph.bmp

Date: March 25, 2009 02:05PM

teleprompt envy
Attachments:
tele.jpg

Date: March 25, 2009 02:11PM

Fuck Teleprompters! We need more of this...

Now THAT's how the "leader of the free world" should speak.

Whatever.

Posted by: Bushisms Sound Real Smart ()
Date: March 25, 2009 02:25PM

LOL. Or like this one...
Attachments:
BushNukes.jpg

Date: March 25, 2009 03:44PM

multiple people have said he did use a teleprompter last night.. but how would he have his speech prepared and ready to be read if people are asking him questions...

Date: March 25, 2009 03:46PM

BobW Wrote:
> multiple people have said he did use a
> teleprompter last night.. but how would he have
> his speech prepared and ready to be read if people
> are asking him questions...

He used a teleprompter for his opening statement. He probably did prep ahead of time for the questions (which every President does).

Date: March 25, 2009 03:51PM

ok too-shay i missed the opening statement.

Posted by: lamelamelame ()
Date: March 25, 2009 03:56PM

This teleprompter angle has got to be the dumbest attack in history. What's amazing is that you see professional republican "strategist" yapping about it... Here, I can understand but guys that are paid a few 100k/yr to do this shit for a living??? That's all they got?

Date: March 25, 2009 04:04PM

Obama is that good

Posted by: LM ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:00PM

H. R. 1388

The biting winds of change are blowing through ObamaNation. The same "volunteerism" that kept America running since the days of its founding, wiped out with the stroke of a pen, will no longer be volunteerism. It becomes forced labor and like the practice of another era, presses American citizens of all ages and creeds, unknowingly into military service.

On paper, H.R. 1388 is the "Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act"; the more innocuous sounding "The Give Act", for short. But "The Give Act" is not part of Obama’s distant future for unsuspecting American citizens, because it hit the House floor on March 18th.

Democrat Rep. Carolyn McCarthy is sponsoring the bill with 25 co-sponsors, Democrats down to the last one. Ayes and Nays 321-105, with 70 Republicans voting "Aye.".

The Give Act puts the finishing touches to Public Allies New Leadership for New Times, modeled after Saul Alinsky’s "Peoples Organizations" and operating under Michelle Obama with an alleged operating budget of more than $75-million a year. According to a Fact Sheet About Public Allies, "President Obama was a member of the founding advisory board of the non-profit organization. Michelle Obama was the founding Executive Director of Public Allies Chicago from Spring, 1993 until Fall 1996 (italics CFP’s). She served on Public Allies national board of directors from 1997 until 2002. Obama was no longer on the board when Michelle was hired.

Like most things Alinsky, H.R. 1388 sounds noble in stating why wide-sweeping change is necessary. "The Give Act" aims to "leverage investments to increase State, local, business and philanthropic resources to address national and local challenges."

Comprehensive in its power, H.R. 1388 goes straight to the heart of volunteerism in America, impacting everything from the lemonade stands of neighborhood children, to the residents of senior citizens homes.

"American volunteers" from across the spectrum, once pressed into service of the Civilian Community Corps, in the fullness of time, shall be called the "National Civilian Community Corps."

You might want to run, but you can’t hide from H.R. 1388.

Whether you are young or old, or firmly believe that volunteering means you are offering your time to the good of community work, you will be pressed into Obama’s National Civilian Community Corps.

The National Civilian Community Corps is year-round and will impose itself on children away at summer camp. Even private schools will not be immune from its membership.

Down through the generations, wearing a uniform has always appealed to the sincere at heart.

According to H.R. 1388, "the Director determines appropriate "uniforms."

Membership is mandatory!

Update: Check out this amendment to the bill:

H.AMDT.49 to H.R.1388 cancels out -- "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Posted by: justme ()
Date: March 30, 2009 08:20PM

Obama threatens US car industry with bankruptcyBarack Obama demands radical reform, and quickly, as he delays a decision about more cash for struggling carmakers
Andrew Clark in New York guardian.co.uk, Monday 30 March 2009 19.45 BST Article history
President Barack Obama raised the possibility that two of Detroit's teetering carmakers could be forced into bankruptcy today, blasting General Motors and Chrysler for failed leadership, unrealistic business plans and a slow rate of reform.

The White House earlier ordered the resignation of GM's veteran boss and instructed cash-strapped Chrysler to surrender its independence to Italy's Fiat.

Obama announced tax incentives for Americans to buy new cars, but delayed a decision on $21bn (£15bn) in extra bailout money from the public pocket, demanding far more radical reform proposals from the carmakers within weeks.

Flanked by his economic advisers in the foyer of the White House, the president delivered a cutting diagnosis of the motor industry's financial crisis, declaring that combined losses of $54bn last year were the result of "a failure of leadership from Washington to Detroit".

"We've seen problems papered over and tough choices kicked down the road, even as our foreign competitors outpaced us," said Obama in a televised address. "We, as a nation, cannot afford to shirk responsibility any longer."

A combination of fierce Asian competition, an evaporation of bank financing for car buyers and a collapse in consumer confidence has hammered Detroit's "big three" – GM, Ford and Chrysler. An estimated 400,000 jobs have been lost among motor manufacturers, dealers and suppliers over the last three years.

Obama said that motor manufacturing was "an emblem of America's spirit" and a "source of deep pride" on which the nation was built. He pledged: "We cannot, we must not and we will not let our auto industry simply vanish."

Urging the American public to rally round, he compared the havoc wreaked by the car industry's financial meltdown to a natural disaster in America's midwestern industrial heartland: "While the storm that has hit our auto towns is not a tornado or a hurricane, the damage is clear and we must likewise respond."

The harsh tone of the administration's message stunned both Wall Street and Detroit, sending the Dow Jones industrial average down by more than 250 points. It dismayed workers and politicians in Michigan who saw the looming prospect of even deeper job losses, factory closures and cuts to benefits.

GM's long-serving chief executive, Rick Wagoner, became the first victim of the hardline approach as he was forced to quit, ending his 31-year career at the company. He was replaced by GM's chief operating officer, Fritz Henderson, with a former Northrop Grumman boss, Kent Kresa, chairing a new board.

Thanking employees for their commitment, Wagoner issued a statement saying: "GM is a great company with a storied history. Ignore the doubters because I know it is also a company with a great future."

The treasury described GM's existing recovery plan as "not viable" and gave the firm, which owns brands such as Vauxhall, Chevrolet and Cadillac, just 60 days to produce a "credible" strategy which is likely to involve an increase to the 47,000 job losses already envisaged.

For Chrysler, however, the prognosis was worse. The taskforce concluded that the ailing company, which employs 38,000 people in the US but lost $8bn last year, had no future as a standalone business and must pursue a wide-ranging alliance with Fiat. The treasury said it would only support Chrysler for another 30 days. But if it can conclude a deal with Fiat, it will get a fresh $6bn loan from taxpayers' funds.

Stressing that the firm already has the framework of a deal with Fiat in place, Chrysler's chief executive, Robert Nardelli, reassured customers and suppliers that it would be "business as usual" over the next 30 days.

In his speech, Obama appeared to prepare the ground for bankruptcy, saying that a chapter 11 filing for either GM or Chrysler would "make it easier to clear away old debts weighing them down," and that it need not involve years of court procedures.

Bankruptcy would allow the courts to intervene in difficult talks with unions and creditors. GM's bondholders, who are owed $27bn, have proved particularly unwilling to exchange their debt for equity, believing that the company's shares are worth little.

Experts believe that protection from creditors is an increasingly likely option. Craig Fitzgerald, an automotive analyst at Plante & Moran in Michigan, said: "It's possible that this can't be done outside bankruptcy."

He said the administration's message to the companies' management was blunt: "You have not moved swiftly enough or boldly enough and you are part of the problem."

Between them, GM and Chrysler have already received $17.4bn of emergency loans from the federal government. But GM has asked for a further $16.6bn and Chrysler, which is owned by the private equity company Cerberus, wants another $5bn to restore stability.

In Detroit, there were murmurings of discontent at the treatment of Wagoner, a popular figure. Thaddeus McCotter, a Republican congressman for the Detroit area, asked why the bosses of Wall Street banks had been allowed to keep their jobs despite losing billions: "When will the Wall Street CEOs receiving funds summon the honour to resign? Will the White House ever bother to raise this issue? I doubt it."

Unions face the prospect of further belt-tightening in wages, healthcare and retirement benefits. On the shop floor, morale is at rock bottom. George Windau, a skilled mechanic of 32 years' standing who works at Chrysler's Jeep factory in Toledo, Ohio, told the Guardian: "People are frightened to death. They don't think it's fair. Everyone's searching for some explanation of how we got into this situation."

Windau was unimpressed by the president's call for more radical cutbacks: "His heart may be with us but he really doesn't understand that we've been giving concessions in every contract negotiation of the last 30 years. Each one has been worse than the one before."

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.